Sword Bearers WIP

El-Diablo

Hmm, white and black stripes. I may have to do a few tests with the various ideas so far.

The last squad I ended up painting in 2 groups of 5, and while they looked fine in the end, I can see myself going slightly mad if I do it again. On this note im going to do the squad in 3 groups of 3 and leave the Sgt. until last. That coupled with a desire to paint anything but marines right now might help me get back on track. I have done something though, the red on these 3 is done,most other areas have been blacked in and i've put a basecoat down on the bone areas. Im aiming to get at least the bone done tomorrow, if I feel better than I do today I should get a bit more done. Metallics would be nice.

Excuse the horrible picture, it was the best I could manage at the moment. When there done i'll take some nicer ones.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/TacSquad2WIP3.jpg

On this note im going to do the squad in 3 groups of 3 and leave the Sgt. until last.

This is a good idea. I've tried painting my marines in groups of five in the past and it does really drive you mad. At the end of a day, painting in this way, you really just wanna throw 'em all out the window and never paint a marine ever again, because you are so tiered of painting the exact same detail over and over again. I imagine this is a little what it'd be like in Tartarus where poor Sisyphus has to roll his rock up a hill all day every day. :jaw: Nowadays I always paint my marines in groups of two or three models and terminators individually. Don't try to paint five terminators all at once. You will surely go mad from the experience! :)

As always: These look great! Keep upp the good work and keep us posted on your progress!

/Angerforce.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress!

Ok, I will.

I've been painting really slowly the last few days, mainly due to no time off and a test plague bearer, but thats a story for another time.

At the begining of last week I took Tactical Squad Elisar, Chaplain Deron and a Bloodcrusher of Khorne down to my local GeeDub as entries into the national painting contest. I couldn't make it for the judging on saturday so I went in today to see what happened. I had a look in the cabinet and found out that I won 2 of the 2 categories that I entered. I ended up winning best squad and best monster which I was pretty pleased at, though I do feel a bit robbed at not getting single, Chappy Deron was, I think, the better looking entry. The winner was nice, but the quality wasn't consistant.

Anyway, onto tonights progress.

Not much really, I keep finding other things to do apart from paint marines but i've got the metallics done, the green done and im working on the seals. Im hoping to have them done within the next couple of days, with an aim of finishing the first combat squad by the end of the week.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/TacSquad2WIP4.jpg

If your interested, this was the bloodcrusher I entered.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Khorne/Juggers%20and%20Bloodcrushers/Bloodcrusher1Finished1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Khorne/Juggers%20and%20Bloodcrushers/Bloodcrusher1Finished2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Khorne/Juggers%20and%20Bloodcrushers/Bloodcrusher1Finished3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not really much happening at the moment, real life isn't being too much fun and the projects are stopping and starting constantly. I have been getting some stuff done though, i've done some work on a few more daemons and started assembling the rest of the second tac squad.

The marines are going on hold once this squad is done until the new codex drops, im not wasting time doing stuf that may not be legal in 3 months time. I've started chucking together bits for 2 tac marines, and a Sternguard Vet conversion.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/Marinewip21-7.jpg

Im also slogging away a few more Bloodletters, im going to do Skulltaker after these 10 are finished.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Khorne/Bloodletters/wip21-7.jpg

Amongst all this I also knocked out a test Plaguebearer, mostly using foundation paints and the new washes. Im quite happy with this, I could probably knock out most of my Nurgle daemons in a weekend using this method. It looks good against the bloodletters as well, all thanks to the unified base scheme.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Nurgle/Daemons/007.jpg

Comments, critiques and death threats all welcome.

Been following this from when you started, lovely reds ans nice simple but well thought out conversions that tie the force together and would make it stand out from a stock marine army anyday :)

Any chance of a recipe for that plaguebearer, looks stunning for the timeframe involved.

Your painting is so smooth, i really like the mat finish you create, especially on the bloodcrusher, you said you entered him, but didnt specify where... or i may have missed that or i may have grossly missunderstood.... :) anyway! cant wait to see more of your bloodletters or your sword bearers!

Been following this from when you started, lovely reds ans nice simple but well thought out conversions that tie the force together and would make it stand out from a stock marine army anyday :mellow:

Any chance of a recipe for that plaguebearer, looks stunning for the timeframe involved.

Thanks very much. Glad you like them.

I stole this from Skulliz over on Warseer, probably looking at about 30 mins work per figure (not including paint/wash drying time). You could cut that down to about 2o mins if you batch painted a group of them.

1. Undercoat of Chaos Black spray

2. Basecoat the entire figure with Gretchin Green Foundation Paint

3. Drybrush of Rotten Flesh

4. Paint small details like worms and Nurglings with Tanned flesh

5. Highlight the Tanned Flesh areas with Dwarf Flesh

6. Paint, teeth and claws with Bleached Bone

7. Paint metal with Bolt Gun Metal

8. Paint any woden areas with Khemri Brown Foundation Paint

9. Devil Mud wash the entire model

10. Once the previous wash is dry, give the model a second wash but of Gryphonne Sepia this time.

11. Wash any open wounds/bloody areas with baal red wash.

Your painting is so smooth, i really like the mat finish you create, especially on the bloodcrusher, you said you entered him, but didnt specify where... or i may have missed that or i may have grossly missunderstood.... :teehee: anyway! cant wait to see more of your bloodletters or your sword bearers!

The Bloodcrusher got entered into the local GW's (Winchester) painting contest last month and won best monster/vehicle. I was going to enter a baneblade but I though it would of been a bit of overkill.

• 1 month later...

Wow, well over a month since my last WIP update. Im getting slack.

I've nearly finished the last 2 marines for Tac Squad Tolov, just the big man himself after these then thats a whole 20 tactical marines painted. :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/2septwip.jpg

Also, i've been hacking up parts for a test Sternguard and terminator.

The Sternguard is the top half of one of the mk2 vets on a pair of kneeling legs. The left hand pad was swapped for a plastic pad with icon and the bolter mag was swapped with a termie storm bolter mag. Wasn't keen on it at first but its growing on me. Plus it looks better than the original bow-legged vet.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/sternwip.jpg

The terminator is a AOBR fig with a head, chest and cyclone launcher from the regular kit. The right sholder pad was hacked away and replaced with a sword pad from the Dark Angels sprue which has had the feathers replaced with a purity seal. I'll take some better pics when I get round to him propper.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/cyclonewip.jpg

If I can pull my finger out i'll have the 2 tacs finished tonight, and a start on Sgt Tolov by the end of the week.

Good to see some more of these guys. (I'll get you to do some fluff one day, I swear!)

Tolov's Squad: I actually really like the effect of the black studded pad. It looks really good. And the subtle change on the DA pendant (converting it into a sword pendant) is very effective.

Sternguard: You're right, the original model is very bow-legged. I think you've done a credible job that's resulted in a stylish model. Have you had any thought how you're going to mark out your Vets beyond the kneepad?

Terminator: Looking good. It's cool to know we're going to see some more of the Chapter's elite. I got my Black Reach two weeks ago and I'm quite impressed by the models inside. Are you getting the set?

This is one of my favourite threads to view, top notch painting and converting and a joy every time its updated. Keep up the great stuff mate!

Cheers,

Dante

Wonderful work, on the converting, painting everything. I really admire your consistency.

I'm using Sword iconography on my chapter too, your work is really inpiration, keep up the good work!

Really like some of your poses, they've given me some ideas which i guess is the best compliment i can pay. :)

Cheers guys, im glad you all like them.

Good to see some more of these guys. (I'll get you to do some fluff one day, I swear!)

Tolov's Squad: I actually really like the effect of the black studded pad. It looks really good. And the subtle change on the DA pendant (converting it into a sword pendant) is very effective.

Sternguard: You're right, the original model is very bow-legged. I think you've done a credible job that's resulted in a stylish model. Have you had any thought how you're going to mark out your Vets beyond the kneepad?

Terminator: Looking good. It's cool to know we're going to see some more of the Chapter's elite. I got my Black Reach two weeks ago and I'm quite impressed by the models inside. Are you getting the set?

Taking the wings off the pendant was a definate with the pad. The sword had to stay though. Carving up the other pad wasn't much fun though, but i'll keep you guessing on that until tomorrow.

I've had a couple of thoughts on the vets - as their a codex chapter there going to get first co markings on the knee, but looking at the metal vets they've all got gorgeous winged icons on the right hand shoulder pad. Im thinking that plus a bit more decoration generally should work considering that the regular rank and file marines are quite plain.

As for the terminators, im really looking forward to knocking them up. Seeing as im sticking to 12-13 suits in the entire chapter (though i'll be painting extra weapon options) they should stick out quite nicely. Im even thinking of doing individual heraldry on each tilting shield just to push the rarity of the suits.

Im just waiting on my copy of Black Reach to arrive. Im thinking the dread might be the first thing that gets painted, for a push-fit vehicle it looks the nuts. Needs an ass cannon though, but i'll be painting a few different weapons and magnetizing the arms.

As for the fluff, its coming! I've had a huge dry mental patch recently so im going to make more mad scientist style scribblings in the coming days.

Just waiting to finish the bases and the 2 tacs will be done but that won't be until tomorrow now.

Cool cool. PM me when you've got some of your ideas together. :)

I think that the individual heraldry was one of the things that really made the Grey Knights stand out. The Terminators are heroes of a thousand battlefields and a hundred campaigns - it makes sense to give them the plaudits they deserve. I actually really liked how Gareth did his Ultramarines Terminators. Have to say that I thought you'd do Vanguard, though - we had discussed Veterans wielding swords a while back.

Black Reach is awesome, and the dreadnought does go together remarkably easily. How're you envisaging that the new Codex will affect the Sword Bearers (aside from the inclusion of Sternguard?)

There will definatly be some Vanguard, im thinking a full squad with jump packs and a full squad in a rhino or drop pod. The honour guard for the chapter master will essentially be hyped up vanguard as well depending on the rules.

As for the new 'dex, im not really sure until i've had a proper look. The only things im not going for straight away (i'll find a way to throw them in later on down the time line)are) thunderfire cannons and Redeemers, on the basis that the chapter probably hasn't had its allocation/hasn't been given the plans etc. I'll probably pick them up when the come out though, im too much of a sucker for shiney toys. Scout bikes will be finding a home though as im thinking of a pretty full scout company for the chapter.

Another WIP pic, this time of Vet Sgt Tolov. The pic isn't the best, i'll get a better one with the next update.

The red on the armour has been done, and the banner is ready for decals/freehand which i'll do tomorrow. Still undecided on what to do with the power fist at the moment but that can wait until I get a bit further in with the paint job.

In other news, my copy of Black Reach turned up today, and my god is it sexy. The next tactical squad may well end up being the one out of AoBR, but with a few modifications. In the background of the pic you should be able to spot the AoBR dread waiting for some love, he's up for the chop when Tolov is finished, along with some magnetized arms.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/TolovWIP.jpg

I'm glad you liked Black Reach - I was astounded by it. There's some really nice bits in it, too. Are you going to use the Captain as a Sword Bearer? (If not, I'd highly recommend taking the sword arm and using the sword - it's really very nice.) Things like the detailed greaves and the MkIV legs really excited me. The missile launcher is very cool too, though his MkIV helm looks a little like a Star Wars Storm Trooper, I think. :lol:

Looking forward to more. And I'm glad to see Tolov taking shape! He looks suitably hardcore.

I'm glad you liked Black Reach - I was astounded by it. There's some really nice bits in it, too. Are you going to use the Captain as a Sword Bearer? (If not, I'd highly recommend taking the sword arm and using the sword - it's really very nice.) Things like the detailed greaves and the MkIV legs really excited me. The missile launcher is very cool too, though his MkIV helm looks a little like a Star Wars Storm Trooper, I think. :)

Looking forward to more. And I'm glad to see Tolov taking shape! He looks suitably hardcore.

Ta.

Im really pleased with the tac squad in the box, though it will need some work - everyone will need Sword Bearer pads, the bolter carriers will need an armour cuff sculpted onto the left wrist (anyone else ever notice that?) and the sgt will need some work. Im looking at Doghouse's Mantis Warriors as inspiration for those.

Im not quite sure what to do with the captain, its a gorgeous sculpt, but every kid and their mum will be using it.

He'll probably get converted in some way, im thinking new shoulder pads, new head, new left arm/weapon, and a different sword, just to make him as different as possible.

He won't be Captain of the 3rd though, it'd be too obvious. I need to come up with something a little more unique. Im thinking the sword may end up on the 1st Company Captain though.

Only other problem is im looking at the orks thinking about an Evil Sunz speed freek force. I'd only need to buy a few buggies and some bikes. :lol:

Ta.

Im really pleased with the tac squad in the box, though it will need some work - everyone will need Sword Bearer pads, the bolter carriers will need an armour cuff sculpted onto the left wrist (anyone else ever notice that?) and the sgt will need some work. Im looking at Doghouse's Mantis Warriors as inspiration for those.

Im not quite sure what to do with the captain, its a gorgeous sculpt, but every kid and their mum will be using it.

He'll probably get converted in some way, im thinking new shoulder pads, new head, new left arm/weapon, and a different sword, just to make him as different as possible.

He won't be Captain of the 3rd though, it'd be too obvious. I need to come up with something a little more unique. Im thinking the sword may end up on the 1st Company Captain though.

Only other problem is im looking at the orks thinking about an Evil Sunz speed freek force. I'd only need to buy a few buggies and some bikes. ;)

More red? Khorne Daemons, red Space Marines, Evil Sunz...? Can you paint any other colour? No wonder you volunteered to paint Castigators! :P

I know what you mean about the Captain. It's the possible downside, but I think you could possibly use certain bits. I see what you meant about the Mantis Warriors - but it should be relatively easy to saw out the shoulder pads and add in the DA pads. It's cool that they come with Tactical arrows moulded on. I really like the Sergeant, too - he's very nicely sculpted.

More red? Khorne Daemons, red Space Marines, Evil Sunz...? Can you paint any other colour? No wonder you volunteered to paint Castigators! :(

Did I mention the World Eaters to go with the Daemons? ;)

Im not sure what it is about red - I was terrible at it a few years ago so I taught myself as many methods of painting red as possible so i'd get better at it, now its all I seem to paint! I do enjoy it though.

Funnily enough im actually looking forward to doing a Castigator - im thinking about a sculpted shoulder pad for the chapter icon.

Should have something else to show on Sgt Tolov a bit later - im aiming on getting the black retouched and a good start on the metals.

Hey there, those marines look brilliant! I wondered if you could help a red averse painter, and perhaps give a small tut on how you painted that red? :)

I like the idea of converting the captain, maybe remove the cape, or would that make him look less captain-ish? You could always make him captain of the 9th, no one will see that coming! :(

Hey there, those marines look brilliant! I wondered if you could help a red averse painter, and perhaps give a small tut on how you painted that red? :)

I like the idea of converting the captain, maybe remove the cape, or would that make him look less captain-ish? You could always make him captain of the 9th, no one will see that coming! :(

There's no point in removing the cloak on the Black Reach Captain, it takes up so much of the figure I may as well start from scratch.

As for the red (all credit for this to Chaplain Desmodus)

-Mechrite Red basecoat

-Overbrush Blood Red until you get an even coat

-Line the armour joins with a watered down mix of 50/50 black/brown ink (devlan mud wash would work for this also)

-Edge highlight with Blazing Orange

-Glaze with red ink (Thinned down Baal Red would also work)

Its a simple enough red, and i've not got bored of it yet, which is always a problem when I paint.

More red? Khorne Daemons, red Space Marines, Evil Sunz...? Can you paint any other colour? No wonder you volunteered to paint Castigators! :huh:

Did I mention the World Eaters to go with the Daemons? :P

I just miss your Black Legion. Funnily enough, my friend's Black Legion (based on yours) is growing exponentially, and is proving to be quite the thorn in our local gaming scene.

Just as a thought - you have Sergeant Tolov, so perhaps in honour of Angerforce, your next SB Sergeant could be Gerof/Gerov? Might be nice.

Archived