Sword Bearers WIP

El-Diablo

More red? Khorne Daemons, red Space Marines, Evil Sunz...? Can you paint any other colour? No wonder you volunteered to paint Castigators! :huh:

Did I mention the World Eaters to go with the Daemons? :P

I just miss your Black Legion. Funnily enough, my friend's Black Legion (based on yours) is growing exponentially, and is proving to be quite the thorn in our local gaming scene.

Just as a thought - you have Sergeant Tolov, so perhaps in honour of Angerforce, your next SB Sergeant could be Gerof/Gerov? Might be nice.

I do miss my Black Legion, but painting that much black was driving me mad. They will re-appear at some point, they always do. It'll be there 4th incarnation though.

I was trying to work out what to do with Angerforce but couldn't come up with anything that fit wll. Then I remembered his real name and the light bulb went on above my head, hence i'll have Wolf Guard Bjorn (why can't I be called Bjorn? Its got more of a ring to it than Steve.) leading a Deathwatch Kill-Team somewhere down the line.

(why can't I be called Bjorn? Its got more of a ring to it than Steve.)

Wasn't Bjorn one of the guys in Abba? :lol:

Deathwatch definitely get a thumbs up from me, though. A good opportunity to include a bunch of Chapters that you like but wouldn't be able to do an army of. Are you going to do them using Sternguard rules? Seems like the best fit, and something I think might become more common.

(why can't I be called Bjorn? Its got more of a ring to it than Steve.)

Wasn't Bjorn one of the guys in Abba? :lol:

Deathwatch definitely get a thumbs up from me, though. A good opportunity to include a bunch of Chapters that you like but wouldn't be able to do an army of. Are you going to do them using Sternguard rules? Seems like the best fit, and something I think might become more common.

Im going to go with Sternguard for Deathwatch unless they get a 5th ed. update, im still thinking about possible chapters though, I just need to make sure each marine has some identity though. So far im thinking about a wolf, an ultra, a DA, possibly a templar.

Have any Castigators seen Deathwatch service?

Well, they have now. ^_^

But no, seriously the Castigators have long-standing relationships with puritan factions of the Inquisition. Their hatred and distrust for the impure (which extends to aliens, who are obviously debased and inferior before the purity of Man) is well-documented, and justly reassuring in a time when Chapters dabble with the unclean with disappointing regularity!

In fact, the Castigators' relationship with the Inquisition has helped shelter them against those who dislike their over-zealous attitude. So yes, I can definitely see a Castigator in Deathwatch service, though I'm not sure his squad-mates would be overly fond of him. :(

Well, they have now. ^_^

But no, seriously the Castigators have long-standing relationships with puritan factions of the Inquisition. Their hatred and distrust for the impure (which extends to aliens, who are obviously debased and inferior before the purity of Man) is well-documented, and justly reassuring in a time when Chapters dabble with the unclean with disappointing regularity!

In fact, the Castigators' relationship with the Inquisition has helped shelter them against those who dislike their over-zealous attitude. So yes, I can definitely see a Castigator in Deathwatch service, though I'm not sure his squad-mates would be overly fond of him. :(

I'll have to have a proper read of your IA for some ideas for him, but the Deathwatch are a little way off yet - feel free to decide what part of the chapter he comes from and i'll see what I can scrape together.

In painting news, my eyes decided not to focus properly so im hacking up plastic instead of painting. Day off work tomorrow so there should be some progress made.

Well, contrary to my last post, i didn't get much done over the last few days, but I've managed to get Sgt Tolov to around 75% done. All thats left are his head, backpack and banner and basing.

Hopefully I can get everything done today so I can start the dread next week. plus its Games Day tomorrow so i'd like to have him done before then.

After thinking about the different ideas for the power fist I settled on nothing at all - nothing was really jumping out at me, although I did try some 'trompe l'oeil' effects on the power fist damage. I think it looks ok for a first try, but its something that needs work.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/Tolov75.jpg

Should have some more updates on this chap within a few hours.

I would've perhaps considered painting the Power Fist's fingers in black, to try to break up the shape a little. I don't know if that would look effective or not, though.

Looking forward to seeing him completed, though!

Im not entirely sure on that, looking at the photo and the figure itself, I think it needs a little more definition around the fingers. I'll give that ago before I put the next photo up and you can see what you think.

In other news, the head is about a cup-of-tea's length away from completion, with just the eye and mouth left to do.

Something else I should mention Mol, did you notice page 101 of the marine 'dex, bottom right corner, the power fist is marked as Mk IIa 'Castigator'. Something else to think about perhaps?

I agree that the powerfist seems a little.... undefined. Maybe instead of doing all the fingers in black, just the "brass knuckle" part between the fist and the fingers in a black, or a metallic? Might create enough of a definition between the 2 areas without having to rework the entire lower part of the fist....

Other than that, the models are looking fantastic as always. If only I could get my reds to match that vibrant red you have :)

One question (and apologies if you answered this in prior pages and I missed it), the Sword on the shoulder pad... is that NMM or true metallics?

I agree that the powerfist seems a little.... undefined. Maybe instead of doing all the fingers in black, just the "brass knuckle" part between the fist and the fingers in a black, or a metallic? Might create enough of a definition between the 2 areas without having to rework the entire lower part of the fist....

Other than that, the models are looking fantastic as always. If only I could get my reds to match that vibrant red you have ^_^

One question (and apologies if you answered this in prior pages and I missed it), the Sword on the shoulder pad... is that NMM or true metallics?

I've added a little more definition now and the more I look at it the more I like it. I think its refreshing to see a power fist that isn't covered in excess detail.

The red is easy, im sure there's a recipe somewhere in the thread, try it. You'll be surprised how easy it is.

As for the sword icon, its done in (badly done) NMM.

To add a voice of dissension, I think Tolov is better served by the simplicity of the power fist's paint job. It's distinct in that it looks normal, if that makes any sort of sense.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Anyway, its about time Tolov got a little bit of head......

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/Tolov85.jpg

Base and banner now, lets see how long this takes.

He looks good. I envy your faces! I think I was wrong about the fingers in black, but that knuckle-segment (if you get what I mean) could've looked good if it was in black. On the whole, though, there's little to complain about.

A HQ and two troops done!

You've got a legal army of Sword Bearers!

He looks good. I envy your faces! I think I was wrong about the fingers in black, but that knuckle-segment (if you get what I mean) could've looked good if it was in black. On the whole, though, there's little to complain about.

I've just done a very quick mock up of how the black knuckles would look and im actually happy with how it looked. It breaks up the fist enough, but still keeps the undecorated feel. Expect black knuckles with the next pic.

A HQ and two troops done!

You've got a legal army of Sword Bearers!

Not quite. When Sgt Tolov is 100% finished and i've got a full force pic up i'll break out the celebration beers. ;)

I've just done a very quick mock up of how the black knuckles would look and im actually happy with how it looked. It breaks up the fist enough, but still keeps the undecorated feel. Expect black knuckles with the next pic.

Looking forward to it. (Oh, and I hadn't noticed that 'Castigator' power fist. Interesting indeed!)

Not quite. When Sgt Tolov is 100% finished and i've got a full force pic up i'll break out the celebration beers. ;)

The full-force pic was the next thing I was going to ask for. :o

Planning on picking anything up at Games Day tomorrow? Are you going to be using the GD model in your force?

Looking forward to it. (Oh, and I hadn't noticed that 'Castigator' power fist. Interesting indeed!)

Not quite. When Sgt Tolov is 100% finished and i've got a full force pic up i'll break out the celebration beers. :huh:

The full-force pic was the next thing I was going to ask for. ;)

Planning on picking anything up at Games Day tomorrow? Are you going to be using the GD model in your force?

I've had an idea with the games day figure - im going to cut the hammer away and replace it with a 2 handed sword and give him a new head. That'll be the sgt in the Vanguard squad on foot.

As for tomorrow, i'll defiantly be after the book, some sternguard and vanguard, a couple of pods and whatever else falls my way. If I can't get hold of the book i'll be a bit pissed but if they've got some spearheads I might just get one of them instead. I've also got a ven dread on order at Forge World so thats on the list a little further down the line. Need to hit Black Library as well.

I've had an idea with the games day figure - im going to cut the hammer away and replace it with a 2 handed sword and give him a new head. That'll be the sgt in the Vanguard squad on foot.

I just had a look at my GD model, and it would be very tricky to do that (ideally you'd want to reposition the hands so they were closer to each other) but it could work. You'd probably need to reposition the wrists a little, but it could look very nice indeed. Definitely interested in seeing that take shape.

As for tomorrow, i'll defiantly be after the book, some sternguard and vanguard, a couple of pods and whatever else falls my way. If I can't get hold of the book i'll be a bit pissed but if they've got some spearheads I might just get one of them instead.

It's not really been clear what's going to be at the event. Still, good luck with that.

I've also got a ven dread on order at Forge World so thats on the list a little further down the line.

Interesting that a (250 year-old) 26th Founding Chapter should have a Venerable Dreadnought. Which one have you gone for? It could look really very cool with the Sword Bearers' iconography over it.

I just had a look at my GD model, and it would be very tricky to do that (ideally you'd want to reposition the hands so they were closer to each other) but it could work. You'd probably need to reposition the wrists a little, but it could look very nice indeed. Definitely interested in seeing that take shape.

I think i'll probably need to cut the hands off completely and replace them both. That should give me a bit more freedom as to the pose. It'll be nice if I can pull it off though.

As for tomorrow, i'll defiantly be after the book, some sternguard and vanguard, a couple of pods and whatever else falls my way. If I can't get hold of the book i'll be a bit pissed but if they've got some spearheads I might just get one of them instead.

It's not really been clear what's going to be at the event. Still, good luck with that.

Cheers, I think i'll need it. I don't want to resort to violence, but hey, whatever it takes right? :huh:

I've also got a ven dread on order at Forge World so thats on the list a little further down the line.

Interesting that a (250 year-old) 26th Founding Chapter should have a Venerable Dreadnought. Which one have you gone for? It could look really very cool with the Sword Bearers' iconography over it.

I went for the Mk IV with a plasma cannon and cc arm. As for the venerable part, well, it's sexy and it may appear further down the timeline. Plus I refuse to pay Forge World's stupid postage rates so I may as well pick it up and not pay postage.

I'm very very impressed with this. that red is so good.

I'm currently working on a lot of battle damage at the moment, and am interested in that 'trompe l'oeil' effect, how did you find it?

Anyway, I think less is more (despite the work involved) and as a result, the clean colour scheme (especially the fist) is brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm very very impressed with this. that red is so good.

I'm currently working on a lot of battle damage at the moment, and am interested in that 'trompe l'oeil' effect, how did you find it?

Completly missed this post, sorry Nurglepuss! The trompe l'oeil was a bit of a pig to do to be honest, not something i'll do very often, but i'll definatly practise some more.

Well, i've managed to break the grip of Warhammer Online for a short while, and i've done some work prepping Squad Arlan, the 3rd tactical squad for paint. Backpacks and bolters need to be monted for spraying but aside from that there ready to go.

There's a couple of things to note about these 5 - first, Sgt Arlan's got himself a set of bionic legs - normally I hate using bionics on marines but I had a cool idea for a short fluff piece that included a Vanguard vet losing his legs - Arlan would be that veteran, but thats going to wait until he's done. Secondly, the flamer marine - Aside from a more fitting backpack i've managed to get him into as close a complete set of mk 4 armour as I could manage, all down to making a few cuts in his legs, an idea i've shamelessly pinched from SpikyJames.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/TacSquad3WIP1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/SgtArlanWIP1.jpg

If you'd posted these up yesterday I would've sent you one of those old-style backpacks! I think they're looking great so far - the Sergeant especially has a lot of menace, looking like he's calmly advancing forward and laying down precision fire. I really like those faux-Mk.4 legs, too. I think they're a great idea.

Cheers guys!

The menace was definatly intended with Arlan, hence the reason I went for a helmet instead of a bare head. Also gives me a test for my vet helmet scheme - black helmets on vets, with a white center stripe for vet sgts.

One thing im pleased with is the (well hidden) give away to the movement - the banner. He's obviously striding forward, but as a target has appeared, hes had to twist the torso and arm to get a good shot, so the banner is coming forward on the left side. Well, thats my excuse and im sticking to it.

The Sword Bearers keep on rocking. :) The Mk4 Legs look good.

If you don't mind, what colours did you use for the trompe l'oeil? My Thousand Swords are a similar colour to the Sword Bearers, and I haven't seen it done on red before.

The Sword Bearers keep on rocking. :P The Mk4 Legs look good.

If you don't mind, what colours did you use for the trompe l'oeil? My Thousand Swords are a similar colour to the Sword Bearers, and I haven't seen it done on red before.

Looking fantastic as usual. I'm a big fan of your army. Always great to see updates!

-_-

-T.

Cheers guys, im glad you approve.

The trompe l'oeil was started with black, the lower part of the scratch was painted with scorched brown and the lower edge was highlighted with blood red mixed with a little blazing orange. You may need to highlight the bottom edge a little more than you usualy highlight the colour, but you can always glaze it back down if its too bright.

Archived