Sword Bearers WIP

El-Diablo

Hey did I miss something or did you never post the picture of the finsihed painted Chaplain? I would love to see how it all came together

It didn't get posted here, it went in the Hall of Honor thread (link in sig) about halfway down page 3.

Another pre-paint update today, this one courtesy of Com. Molotov who very kindly supplied a load of parts for Brother Captain Ranon.

Everything is blu-taked together at the moment and will be removed for painting.

I wanted to make sure the iron halo was represented somewhere and had resigned it to the backpack until I added new shoulder pads. With the new shoulders the backpack wouldn't fit straight so I pulled it further away from the back which gave me enough room to get the halo between the backpack and the armour. Now I just need to decide on a banner.

He still needs a little gs to clean up some areas but apart from that he's ready for paint.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/RanonWIP1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/RanonWIP2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/RanonWIP3.jpg

Looking good! I was waiting all last night for you to update. -_-

I thought you might go for the AoBR sword. Is that a bolter-supporting hand that you've used to hold the sword? It looks a little funny in the second picture.

Did you saw out the shoulderpads, or just file them down until they were small enough to get the plastic ones in? The one on the shield arm seems a little low, though I don't know if that's an illusion because we can't see the elbow.

What is the Iron Halo sitting on? It just seems to be hovering in mid-air (although I guess that's partially the blu-tack.)

now that is a sword bearer :P

Thats what I thought. ;)

Looking good! I was waiting all last night for you to update. :)

I thought you might go for the AoBR sword. Is that a bolter-supporting hand that you've used to hold the sword? It looks a little funny in the second picture.

Did you saw out the shoulderpads, or just file them down until they were small enough to get the plastic ones in? The one on the shield arm seems a little low, though I don't know if that's an illusion because we can't see the elbow.

What is the Iron Halo sitting on? It just seems to be hovering in mid-air (although I guess that's partially the blu-tack.)

I was going to update last night, but all I had going on was a load of green stuff blobs on the wrist and back, not really much worth showing.

The AoBR sword very nearly didn't make the cut. There's a nice sword on the ravenwing sprue that was in the lead for a while, but in the end the Black Reach sword looks more like a relic blade. The left hand is cut from a plastic space wolf power sword arm as the sword was missing and its a pretty good fist as far as fists go. -_-

The shoulder pads were clippered away to a small enough size to get the plastics on. The right side pad looks lower because the figure leans to the right - the shoulder is lower than the left. Pain in the ass to do though.

The halo, well that was a fun job. Having new pads meant the backpack wouldn't go on straight so I hacked apart an old tac marine for the back of his torso. The backpack plate got glued to the back of the figure and built up with gs. There's just enough flat area on top to mount the halo.

I was going to update last night, but all I had going on was a load of green stuff blobs on the wrist and back, not really much worth showing.

The AoBR sword very nearly didn't make the cut. There's a nice sword on the ravenwing sprue that was in the lead for a while, but in the end the Black Reach sword looks more like a relic blade. The left hand is cut from a plastic space wolf power sword arm as the sword was missing and its a pretty good fist as far as fists go. :jaw:

Ah, I know the fist you mean. It doesn't look too bad - it's just the angle in the second pic made his fingers look straight rather than bent. (I realise now the sword-hilt was confusing my eye.) I think it'd look far better in real life, so it's not something to worry about. :)

The shoulder pads were clippered away to a small enough size to get the plastics on. The right side pad looks lower because the figure leans to the right - the shoulder is lower than the left. Pain in the ass to do though.

It looked like you'd bent the arm in order to get the wrist into a more natural position. (Which means it looks good! :tu:)

The halo, well that was a fun job. Having new pads meant the backpack wouldn't go on straight so I hacked apart an old tac marine for the back of his torso. The backpack plate got glued to the back of the figure and built up with gs. There's just enough flat area on top to mount the halo.

Ah, that's cool. He should be cool. I think the trouble with finding an appropriate standard will be continuing the huge motion conveyed by the rest of the model.

He looks great so far, though.

The AoBR sword very nearly didn't make the cut. There's a nice sword on the ravenwing sprue that was in the lead for a while, but in the end the Black Reach sword looks more like a relic blade. The left hand is cut from a plastic space wolf power sword arm as the sword was missing and its a pretty good fist as far as fists go. :jaw:

Ah, I know the fist you mean. It doesn't look too bad - it's just the angle in the second pic made his fingers look straight rather than bent. (I realise now the sword-hilt was confusing my eye.) I think it'd look far better in real life, so it's not something to worry about. :)

It looked like you'd bent the arm in order to get the wrist into a more natural position. (Which means it looks good! :tu:)

Ah, that's cool. He should be cool. I think the trouble with finding an appropriate standard will be continuing the huge motion conveyed by the rest of the model.

He looks great so far, though.

So many quotes!

The left arm did indeed get bent a little - means i'll have minimal gs to do on the wrist if at all. The banner is going to be the biggest problem. I might need to sculpt one and freehand it. Not looking forward to that much.

If you want a banner blown to the miniature's left (our right);

The plastic one in the commander box may suit,

There is also a metal banner that comes with the veteran sergeant models (4th ed release ones, blister pack of two). It's one of maybe 3 back banners in that series (one of which was chainmail). You want the torn tattered one, with an older-style aquila on top. It's blown to the left, also it's old so it's like a relic of the crusade :(

yes more progress on this thread! maybe on the power fist you should make the little rivets on the black knuckle duster metal to bring your eye to them. and please change the name of the rockin' new sarge (arlan is this huge mean bully at my school)

If you want a banner blown to the miniature's left (our right);

The plastic one in the commander box may suit,

There is also a metal banner that comes with the veteran sergeant models (4th ed release ones, blister pack of two). It's one of maybe 3 back banners in that series (one of which was chainmail). You want the torn tattered one, with an older-style aquila on top. It's blown to the left, also it's old so it's like a relic of the crusade :P

Im sure i've got one of those banners kicking around somewhere, i'll have to have a look.

yes more progress on this thread! maybe on the power fist you should make the little rivets on the black knuckle duster metal to bring your eye to them. and please change the name of the rockin' new sarge (arlan is this huge mean bully at my school)

Bullies are never fun, I had it a lot myself at school so you have my sympathy, but unfortunatly the name stays, im getting attatched to it.

Well, not much to report tonight, just proof of life really. The metal is about to get washed, next up will be the pouches, purity seals and skulls. Hopefully that'll be my update for tomorrow.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/WIP7Oct.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I like those Mk.IV legs a great deal. Really very impressed.

You should like them a bit more painted......

Well, i've got the first 4 members of Tac Squad Arlan based up, but no backpacks yet so they get to see the sights of this thread before being moved over to the other when the backpacks are done.

I've done some work on the second half of the squad, including one of the metal mk5 figures from years ago and a heavy bolter. I'l get some pics of them up when I get some more done.

In other news, Captain Ranon is getting a rethink - I've had a few ideas for a Sicarius conversion for a while, its too nice a figure not to use. The original Ranon will be used as a prototype honour guard.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/WIP20OCT.jpg

The squad looks cool, looking forward to seeing them done. Shame to hear about Ranon, though! Sicarius does seem like he has potential, though - I've not been able to have a look at the model proper, but definitely seems like there's a lot of work to be done de-Ultramarining him!

• 2 weeks later...

It lives!

Only just though, thats what happens when you spend too much time looking at fantasy army books instead of a codex. I've been too sucked in to the new Chaos stuff to not start an army, and im going red. If your interested, test figures are here and here.

But you've not come here for chaos warriors have you?

I've been slowly working on Sgt Arlan over the last few nights between pointy sticks and suits of plate mail, and im at a point where a wip shot won't just be of a black sprayed marine. I figured I better show some proof of life before Mol sends round a mob armed with burning torches........ :P

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/SgtArlanWIP2.jpg

If I can have him done by the weekend i'll be happy, then its back to another 5 tac marines to finish up the squad.

I figured I better show some proof of life before Mol sends round a mob armed with burning torches........ :tu:

:P

Sorry for not responding to your PM; I've only just got back home and settled with a decent internet connection - I couldn't download the picture beforehand. The Chaos stuff is starting to look really very cool (though part of me thinks they're a bit plain - the Sword Bearers all look more 'alive', whilst the Chaos warrior just seems a little flat. I concede that's partially because of the way regiments work in WFB, though - those massive blocks of troops.

Arlan's looking really very cool. I like Marines with loads of bionics - it really showcases their determination to fight against all odds. And it's creepy, too!

I'm interested to know how you're planning on converting Sicarius...

Real shame to hear about Ranon, the first idea you had going for him looked *awesome* IMO, one of the coolest simple and effective bits combos I recall coming across. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with as the alternative thoug ;)

I like the sarge a lot the bionics look cool. I love the company champion helms, the best in the game, in my opinion.

The Marauder looks nice as well (sorry for being off topic), you really paint red well.

Brother Vespasian

Thanks very much!

Mate he looks awesome, the painting is nice even though its not finished though and the legs give him such a good touch. :blink:

Cheers Pulse, your Star Lords ain't looking too shabby so far either. All I need to do now is try and do a marine in the armour variant that your using, its bloody gorgeous.

I figured I better show some proof of life before Mol sends round a mob armed with burning torches........ ;)

:wacko:

Sorry for not responding to your PM; I've only just got back home and settled with a decent internet connection - I couldn't download the picture beforehand. The Chaos stuff is starting to look really very cool (though part of me thinks they're a bit plain - the Sword Bearers all look more 'alive', whilst the Chaos warrior just seems a little flat. I concede that's partially because of the way regiments work in WFB, though - those massive blocks of troops.

Arlan's looking really very cool. I like Marines with loads of bionics - it really showcases their determination to fight against all odds. And it's creepy, too!

I'm interested to know how you're planning on converting Sicarius...

I know what you mean about the warrior, and I think it's down to 2 things - 1, the shading isn't deep enough along joins in plates. I think I might try black-lining the next one and see how that goes. 2, the edge highlights aren't bright enough. A little more blood red in the mix and it should pop.

Arlan feels pretty creepy at the moment, i've got a bit of fluff worked up for him that i'll be revealing once its in coherent sentences.

As for Sicarius, it's not going to be a major job, mainly swapping out parts and a bit of gs to cover up the ultra specific stuff. Still having thoughts on Ranon though, I really like the pose on the original, but he seems a little small compaired to the rest of the marines.

Real shame to hear about Ranon, the first idea you had going for him looked *awesome* IMO, one of the coolest simple and effective bits combos I recall coming across. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with as the alternative though :)

So am I mate, so am I....

Cheers Pulse, your Star Lords ain't looking too shabby so far either. All I need to do now is try and do a marine in the armour variant that your using, its bloody gorgeous.

If you want i'll send you one matey. :D

If you want i'll send you one matey. :D

PM incoming to you chap!

You could consider the small-base-on-big-base (or just another scenic base) if you want to make the old-Ranon a bit bigger. Otherwise, you can just adopt the attitude that not all Marines are going to be carbon-copies - some take to their implants better than others, and some will grow and some will not (as much). Perhaps he's got a bit of a Napoleon complex going on... :D

Archived