Sword Bearers WIP

El-Diablo

Also, is your white just built up from grey. I've never got it look as smooth and good as that.

Depends on what im painting. The white on the tactical badges on the marines are pure white, thinned down, using a transfer as a guide. The arrow on the rhino is a basecoat of astronomican grey then about 15 thin layers of white.

The secret to a good white is either a white undercoat, or as many thin layers as you can handle without being sectioned. For perspective, the arrow on the rhino took about 2 hours, including drying time. In that instance I was sat infront of the rhino waiting for each layer to dry fully before applying the next layer.

Another way to do a good looking (aged) white is to start with codex grey, then layer fortress grey, then keep adding white to fortress for several highlight stages. The final highlight should be pure white. This finish appears very white on the high points (where it should be pure white) and nicely shaded.

Time to double post, but I do have some updates.

The first tactical squad and Chaplain Deron have been entered into the national painting comp so I wil know saturday if people think there any good. Fingers crossed.

On the workbench though are some wip's of tactical squad 2, designated Tactical Squad Tolov.

First the 'supporting fire' combat squad. These 5 will include a plasma cannon and a marine who needs directions.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/TacSquad2WIP1.jpg

Secondly, Sgt Tolov himself, in the middle of smacking the crap out of something. He'll be leading the second combat squad which will include a meltagun.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/Tolovwip1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/Tolovwip2.jpg

The first combat squad have since been sprayed up so expect 5 red marines this time tomorrow.

I like the way you've conveyed a nice sense of motion, with the crux at his waist, the purity seal on his breastplate and the backpack banner. Those little touches tend to really help.

I noticed you'd filed down the power fist; are you going to be doing anything on the back of the fist, or just leaving it blank?

I like the way you've conveyed a nice sense of motion, with the crux at his waist, the purity seal on his breastplate and the backpack banner. Those little touches tend to really help.

I noticed you'd filed down the power fist; are you going to be doing anything on the back of the fist, or just leaving it blank?

I think when your swinging a stonking great power fist your going to have a bit of motion.

As for the fist itself, im not too sure. I've had a few ideas on what to do with it, but im not sure what would look best. So far i've come up with -

-Black fist (with or without chipped paint work)

-Red fist (with or without chipped paint work)

-Hazzard stripes

-Red or black fist with some freehand - im not too good with freehand so'll go over a transfer if I go with this.

Any other ideas?

Any other ideas?

If you haven't already sprayed him, might I suggest a knife mounted on the back (look at Inquisitor Tyrus from the inquisitor range)

I think this would carry the chapter iconography a bit further and look rather nasty to boot, think disembowelment followed by being

thrown across the battlefield like a rag doll, not my idea of a good day...

Laterz...

Any other ideas?

If you haven't already sprayed him, might I suggest a knife mounted on the back (look at Inquisitor Tyrus from the inquisitor range)

I think this would carry the chapter iconography a bit further and look rather nasty to boot, think disembowelment followed by being

thrown across the battlefield like a rag doll, not my idea of a good day...

Laterz...

Not too keen on that one im afraid, when I painted Tyrus a while ago the knife came off the fist, it just didn't make any sense to me.

Nah, I wouldn't be keen on a knife-fist either. I think that a black fist would look really cool. You'd have to carry that through with all your Power Fists, though - I think Terminators would look sharp like that. Hazard Stripes? Eehh... you've not really gone for that "style" of Space Marine, and yellow would be a real surprise addition to your palette. Unless you did black/red hazard stripes, which could either look really really cool or really really bad.

That said, a red fist would be cool, too. I just wondered if you were planning any freehand on the back of the fist.

Any other ideas?

I've always loved the whole checkers-theme they've got going in 40k (maybe I'm the only one who ever noticed), and I've loved seeing that (and other old-school stuff) have a renessance to GW's own things and peoples armies here on B&C (and elsewhere). Maybe a line of black-and-white checkers on the back of the fist, down by the fingers, and then leave the rest of the fist red, with the four "studs" (hope you understand which ones I mean) painted as green gem-stones? Just a suggestion based on my own aesthetic preferenses.

By the way, I forgot I was visiting my granny this weekend so I didn't have time to mail you your shoulderpads today. Many apologies. They will be in the mail first thing tomorrow though!

Keep up the good work!

/Angerforce

Nah, I wouldn't be keen on a knife-fist either. I think that a black fist would look really cool. You'd have to carry that through with all your Power Fists, though - I think Terminators would look sharp like that. Hazard Stripes? Eehh... you've not really gone for that "style" of Space Marine, and yellow would be a real surprise addition to your palette. Unless you did black/red hazard stripes, which could either look really really cool or really really bad.

That said, a red fist would be cool, too. I just wondered if you were planning any freehand on the back of the fist.

I get what you mean about the stripes - yellow is out and although I think red and black stripes would look cool, I don't think they suit the chapter. I am quite liking Frost Knight's idea of a red sword on a black pad. I'll give it a try on Tolov and see how it looks.

Any other ideas?

I've always loved the whole checkers-theme they've got going in 40k (maybe I'm the only one who ever noticed), and I've loved seeing that (and other old-school stuff) have a renessance to GW's own things and peoples armies here on B&C (and elsewhere). Maybe a line of black-and-white checkers on the back of the fist, down by the fingers, and then leave the rest of the fist red, with the four "studs" (hope you understand which ones I mean) painted as green gem-stones? Just a suggestion based on my own aesthetic preferenses.

By the way, I forgot I was visiting my granny this weekend so I didn't have time to mail you your shoulderpads today. Many apologies. They will be in the mail first thing tomorrow though!

Keep up the good work!

/Angerforce

Cheers. Im not too sure about checkers on these guys, it looks good on some chapters, but I don't think they'd match up too well with the clean paint style im using on them. No rush on the pads, your being kind enough to send them out so whenever your ready.

At this point i'd like to thank Commissar Molotov and Angerforce for hooking me up with some shoulder pads. Top class guys. Cheers!

i say black with a red sword chapter-icon-thing freehand (transfer whatever) would be striking because it would add some contrast

I like this one. Im going to try that on Tolov when I get round to painting him.

If all goes well I should have some progress later tonight - im aiming for the first coats of red on 5 marines, ready for finishing the armour tomorrow. Shouldn't take too long, although there is a pie standing in my way.

I am quite liking Frost Knight's idea of a red sword on a black pad. I'll give it a try on Tolov and see how it looks.

I'm gonna go ahead and give you my thoughts on this. First I think the option of a black powerfist is a little too much reminicent of the Blood Angels, as their termies have black left hands and all their squad leaders and sergeants have black shoulderpads with red rims. I think going with another colour than black for the powerfist would be nice as they already look a lot like the blood angels (although there is nothing wrong with that at all, they look fantastic!). Painting a sword logo on the back of the powerfist is something I've thought of doing with my DAs but I've always decided against it in the end as this would be a little too much, with the shoulderpad directly above the fist already having a sword-icon on it. This is why I think that black and white checkers would be a lovely touch for your chapter, with the red-white-black palette you have. It distinguishes your chapter from the BA, and is soooo easy to do freehand, and really ties in with the 40k background and old artwork from way back in RT and 2nd ed. This being said however It is your chapter, and these are just my meandering thoughts on the matter. The Blood Angels have a great colour-scheme so there is nothig wrong with stealing it for your chapter if you like the look of it!

/Angerforce.

I am quite liking Frost Knight's idea of a red sword on a black pad. I'll give it a try on Tolov and see how it looks.

I'm gonna go ahead and give you my thoughts on this. First I think the option of a black powerfist is a little too much reminicent of the Blood Angels, as their termies have black left hands and all their squad leaders and sergeants have black shoulderpads with red rims. I think going with another colour than black for the powerfist would be nice as they already look a lot like the blood angels (although there is nothing wrong with that at all, they look fantastic!). Painting a sword logo on the back of the powerfist is something I've thought of doing with my DAs but I've always decided against it in the end as this would be a little too much, with the shoulderpad directly above the fist already having a sword-icon on it. This is why I think that black and white checkers would be a lovely touch for your chapter, with the red-white-black palette you have. It distinguishes your chapter from the BA, and is soooo easy to do freehand, and really ties in with the 40k background and old artwork from way back in RT and 2nd ed. This being said however It is your chapter, and these are just my meandering thoughts on the matter. The Blood Angels have a great colour-scheme so there is nothig wrong with stealing it for your chapter if you like the look of it!

/Angerforce.

Damn it Angerforce! :tu: Back to the drawing board with the fist then. I've got a few days until I get round to painting him so i'll think a little more on it. Time to dig out the 2nd ed marine books.

For the record, the pie was steak and mushroom and it was good.

Damn it Angerforce! :D Back to the drawing board with the fist then. I've got a few days until I get round to painting him so i'll think a little more on it. Time to dig out the 2nd ed marine books.

*lol* Sorry mate. Hope you figure it out! I don't mean to push my idea of checkers, but give it some thought! :Elite: The old 2nd ed stuff give me a lot of inspiration so I hope it'll do the same for you. Just check (no pun intended) out all the awesome stuff in the backgrounds of all the pics, stuff you don't really see at first, but which is really inspirational and unique.

For the record, the pie was steak and mushroom and it was good.

This is off topic! :) It belongs in the Cooking, Food & Beverages-part of the forum! :D

This is off topic! :) It belongs in the Cooking, Food & Beverages-part of the forum! :P

Damn those sub-forums!

I would of had the next coat on these guys tonight but my eye started giving me grief. If I can get the next coat of red and the lining done tomorrow i'll be happy.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/TacSquad2WIP2.jpg

Nice, stoked to see the army progress. This picture points out one of the things I need to work on. I always end up handling my models too much after they have been painted as I add the details. This gives them almost a glossy sealed look that I do not like. I may steal your idea for how to paint the arms. Also might just start using some kind of glove cuz I can't get a good position on the models at times without holding painted parts. Do you have any suggestions?

Looks good tho, cant wait for more updates.

Its not to bad with these guys - nearly everyone has a pin in the right arm joint so I usualy end up holding the figure at the pin and base between my thumb and forefinger. Washing your hands with a good soap under hot water works wonders - it takes the oils off your skin which is what ends up over your figures.

Plan what you paint as well - pick a point that your going to do last, say, a helmet, then use that as a 'touching point' You'll minimize getting any skin oils on your minis this way.

Nice to see some progress! How many coats of red do you paint really? I was gonna do some more Assault marines today but my painting lamp was burned out so I couldn't... There is always something isn't there... :)

By the way: Leafing through the old Codex: Ultramarines I found (to my own surprise) this picture wich illustrates exactly what I meant the checkers would look like on the fist: :P Thought I'd post it here (hope posting this doesn't break any rules on GW IP. I'll take it down if it does.).

gallery_5376_2346_52710.png

Nice to see some progress! How many coats of red do you paint really? I was gonna do some more Assault marines today but my painting lamp was burned out so I couldn't... There is always something isn't there... :(

By the way: Leafing through the old Codex: Ultramarines I found (to my own surprise) this picture wich illustrates exactly what I meant the checkers would look like on the fist: :tu: Thought I'd post it here (hope posting this doesn't break any rules on GW IP. I'll take it down if it does.).

gallery_5376_2346_52710.png

Seeing it in the artwork makes a little more sense - I better dig those old books out.

As for the red, I use 3 full layers on these guys - 1 coat of mechrite red, 1 coat of blood red, lining the armour with brown/black ink, edge highlights with blazing orange and a red ink glaze.

Wait you pin the arms on your plastic models?

Yep. It makes it easier to glue the arms on, especially with the method I use to paint everything seperatly.

Seeing it in the artwork makes a little more sense - I better dig those old books out.

Do that! They are a great read! And very nostalgic! :D I've always liked the Honour Bages-section of old C:UM. It's a great inspiration when doing little details and litalies on the armour of your rank and file marines (though I know you don't do that for your Sword Bearers Chapter) and to distinguish your squad leaders and sergeants even more. Also for personal heraldy for characters and squad banners on sergeants (though I don't use those).

/Angerforce.

I get what you mean about the stripes - yellow is out and although I think red and black stripes would look cool, I don't think they suit the chapter. I am quite liking Frost Knight's idea of a red sword on a black pad. I'll give it a try on Tolov and see how it looks.

As for the fist itself, im not too sure. I've had a few ideas on what to do with it, but im not sure what would look best. So far i've come up with -

-Black fist (with or without chipped paint work)

-Red fist (with or without chipped paint work)

-Hazzard stripes

-Red or black fist with some freehand - im not too good with freehand so'll go over a transfer if I go with this.

Any other ideas?

For what it's worth, I would go for a red fist with black and white hazard stripes (best of both ideas) or paint the entire fist with black and white chequers.

T

FYI, Hazzard is the, fictional, county that the Duke cousins come from. A dangerous thing is a hazard. ^_^

Archived