Pre-Heresy Project

Iacton

Thanks Tsuro and Coop,

As to how I did the Raven.

Black u/coat, couple of thin coats of necron abyss, then used scaly green to highlight - again really thin and translucent, feathered some enchanted blue over the edge of that to get the colour shifts. It is more obvious in the WIP picture here WIP LINK. Once I had done that, I made up a nearly black wash from the thin blue and a touch of black ink and a really old very dark grey that I must have made about 8 years ago! It's so old its in the white flip topped bottle. Once a couple of glazes went on it lost a bit of the effect in photos but is quite realistic to the naked eye, I'm pleased to say.

Glad you like, I enjoyed making him and the pose was fun too.

Ok. Finally got these two Pre-Heresy Style Dark Angels done.

The main inspirations for the project were Sam Wood's excellent "Astelan" artwork and the cover to Descent of Angels.

The 2 models were the old metal DA veterans whose faces I cut off and replaced with a bit of GS-fu. I remodelled the arms and then used what I think is Cypher's sword, cut at the hilt and attached to a standard chainsword hilt, to give the impression of a power weapon. Then each model got a remodelled shoulder pad, the big DA icon done in GS, the studded, ridged pad just filed and studded Ron Saikowski style.

I hope that you enjoy looking at Br. Tiriel and Br. Gabriel.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Dark%20Angels/tiriel-2.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Dark%20Angels/gabriel-2.jpg

I would really like to hear your views both good and bad on this little project.

Cheers,

Iacton

Dude you are seriously one skilled...um.... dam good painter!!!!!!! How did you develop your painting techniques? Loving the Blood angel then i seen the Luna Wolf then my fav...... the Raven Guard! Great work, most inspirational! :pinch:

I got me a Space Marine in Maximus armour but not sure what to do with him. Undercoated him in white as i was gonna do a Luna Wolf then thought about Emperors Children. Hmmm gonna have to up my painting skill before i show it to you guys. Got stiff competition :P

howd you do the helm on both?

The one with a shrouded head - Gabriel - was done by carefully scraping out the old face plate and then GSing a new grilled face in its place.

The head for Tiriel was done again by filing off the face completely as well as the top vent to the head. I then (4 attempts later) added the head band and eyes from GS and made the wings out of flattened GS which I allowed to partially cure before test fitting and bending to suit. The wings then promptly fell off, so I glued them into their final position.

The studs were then added all over the models using a technique shown by Ron Saikowski here - Ron's stud tutorial

The rest is all about paint :confused:

Dorn's Padawan - How did you develop your painting techniques?

I have been painting on and off for a long time, but I decided to start this project about a year ago to really push my skills forward. The only thing I can say about my style is that I have read many articles in places like White Dwarf, CMoN and I anyone who is kind enough to offer advice to me. Every new job I either add a new technique or try to improve on anything that I am not happy with. Currently I am practising NMM steel, but I have also been developing what I consider to be my own way of doing black armour - almost a "reverse highlighting style".

I hated art at school, so I have no grounding whatsoever in artsy "technique", I just get a feel for the model and paint away. I do use a bit of colour theory but in the main I just love to mix up paint combinations or try out what one colour looks like when laid over another.

All I can offer in advice is read the articles, experiment, and don't be afraid to make mistakes! If you put the paint on thin, it's far easier to correct too.

Also grimtuff, it does say that the Silver Skull is done RT style. Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember buying the first books and the RTB01 marines when they came out back in the depths of time..... :P

I have to say :angry: sweet muma thats one hell of a nice Blood Angel. Your other minis are amazing to but I like the Angel cos I'm about to start a pre-heresy BA army and was wondering how you paint that sexy red armour cos it looks sooooooo cool? Keep up the great conversions :Troops:

That Raven Guard Marine is just insanely cool!

Other than that I would say I really like the look of Dark Angel Triel to. (- Guessing he´s the one with the winged helmet).

What color did you use for the Dark Angel´s Plasma chamber?

Thanks for sharing! Keep it up! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Been on holidays and so sorry for late replies.

Chaptermaster Graymantle - What color did you use for the Dark Angel´s Plasma chamber?

Paint the coils white and then wash with a thin mix of hawk turquoise and scorpion green - keep it thin mind and don't put too much of the wash on at a time otherwise you get a white top and an unsightly puddle around the bottom

Nephren-ka - any plans on a nightlord mini in the near future?

ABSOLUTELY!! :D A Nightlord is very high on my list once I have painted either my Mortarion or Leman Russ model.

Brother Tancred - and was wondering how you paint that sexy red armour

Hmm, this one's a little more difficult. The simple answer is just about all of them! Essentially it is Mechrite red, washed with brown and purple and a touch of black where necessary and then brought up through scab red, red gore and blood red with a blazing orange/blood red highlight. If it was too dark I added more blood red and if too light I used scab red, occasionally with a bit of liche purple to shade it down. Hope it helps - if you are getting into Pre-Heresy check out the Great Crusade - link below :)

Captain Pugno - the Raven Guard - what parts did you use?

I have done a WIP thread on him here LINK and also there is loads of my WIP stuff and blow by blow write ups in the Great crusade blog in my sig.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys and now on my return from the land of the 1000 sons I am ready and raring to go for my next projects. Please watch this space ^_^

Wow a lot of really nice models there, I particularly like that ravenguard model. I dont believe I have ever seen black done in that way and its a nice tie in to the appearance of their namesake.

A quick "loosener" that I did over the weekend (about 5 hours start to finish)before starting Mortarion next.

A Mk5 Pre-Heresy Alpha Legionnaire (aka Br. Teapot! :teehee: ).

Basecoat of Enchanted blue mixed with purple ink, highlighted by adding white with a touch of liche purple to the basecoat, then washed over with thinned purple ink to avoid it being BLUE and making it MAUVE, which isn't immediately obvious in the pictures.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Miscellaneous%20Marines/Alpha.jpg

C&C as always please <_<

Cheers,

Iacton

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have finally finished Mortarion. This guy is a blast to paint, and I added another couple of techniques to the mix with some slightly nervous OSL lightly used and also a bit of weathering too.

It was a challenge to avoid painting him too cleanly and make him resemble Adrian Smith's rendition of him in the visions art books, but with a few subtle differences. Also he is striding out over lava in the sculpt, so I needed to tie him in to the base.

The way I saw it is he might be able to take a stroll over semi-molten lava unscathed, but his mantle wouldn't!! So here we are.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Mortarion/mort1.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Mortarion/mort2.jpg

Enjoy, and please comment on what you see. It all helps me to improve.

Cheers,

Iacton

That Mortarion model is better than any other attempt at a primarch I have seen in my 8 years of modeling. Simply fantastic, brother. I would love to know the colors you used for the dirty white.

The Dark Angle with the winged helm is fantastic as well. It looks very different from the standard wings found on DA's helms.

Alpha

the EC/RG helmet is Eaisly my faviorit I hope you dont mind if I use it for my witch hunter acolytes in power armor

Thanks corncob, and steal away, I think there's a WIP pic elsewhere on the thread or definitely in my blog in the sig.

That Mortarion model is better than any other attempt at a primarch I have seen in my 8 years of modeling. Simply fantastic, brother. I would love to know the colors you used for the dirty white.

Wow! Thanks Alpha! I thought he was a good stab, but high praise indeed :tu:

With regards to the off white. It was a base of dheneb stone and rotting flesh, washed with very thin warlock purple/rotting flesh mix and then goblin green/rotting flesh (which makes a near luminous green BTW!!). Then successive layers of rotting flesh with a touch of warlock purple up to pure rotting flesh (about 5 layers) then started to add 50/50 bleached bone and white to the rotting flesh to lighten it where necessary. Once the "white" was done and I had finished the whole model as such, I did a final wash of goblin green and hawk turquoise into the recesses which gave it an almost "dusty" look. Start to finish on the armour part was about 5 hours (which for me is fast I might add! :tu: ). Hope that helps

The DA with the twin pistols kind of reminds me of Cypher, were you going for that?

I can't say that it was, as such. The shield part was some random model on CMoN the I had seen - I can't remember much more than that, but more than anything it was the "Astelan" painting by Sam Wood and Micheal Phillippi's Dark Angels in the Visions artbooks - and also WHY they are slightly green!

And thanks for the Mortarion comment too :)

I'm really glad that he has gone down so well!

Wow! Thanks Alpha! I thought he was a good stab, but high praise indeed :P

With regards to the off white. It was a base of dheneb stone and rotting flesh, washed with very thin warlock purple/rotting flesh mix and then goblin green/rotting flesh (which makes a near luminous green BTW!!). Then successive layers of rotting flesh with a touch of warlock purple up to pure rotting flesh (about 5 layers) then started to add 50/50 bleached bone and white to the rotting flesh to lighten it where necessary. Once the "white" was done and I had finished the whole model as such, I did a final wash of goblin green and hawk turquoise into the recesses which gave it an almost "dusty" look. Start to finish on the armour part was about 5 hours (which for me is fast I might add! ;) ). Hope that helps.

5 hours and you got that effect? That is not bad at all, I'd say. There are a lot more greens and other colors in there than I thought there would be. Thanks for sharing, I am going to write that down and try it out sometime. ^_^

You should consider doing other primarch models. You clearly have the talent to.

Alpha

5 hours and you got that effect? That is not bad at all, I'd say. There are a lot more greens and other colors in there than I thought there would be. Thanks for sharing, I am going to write that down and try it out sometime. <_<

You should consider doing other primarch models. You clearly have the talent to.

Alpha

Thanks again Alpha, and enjoy playing with the colours - the luminous green stage was my favourite!! :D

The main reason for the mixture of colours is that the purple and green over each other, sort of cancel each other out where they are across the plates, but give a dusky sort of brown colour in the recesses.

I am building a Pre-Heresy Night Lord at the moment, complete with toe claws, RT jet pack and a whacking great clawed fist! Should have 1st WIP pics up soon.

However, after that Leman Russ himself is next on the list (by request), so hope fully I can do at least as good a job as Mortarion ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought that I would add this big chappy to the project updates. I completed him about 3 months ago, and he took me about 10 months to do - largely due to being packed up whilst we moved home and stuff - and became a bit of a labour of love where I picked him up and put him down so many times.

However, I was pleased with the final result, and hope that you like him too.

So here's Magnus.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Magnus/Magnus4.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Magnus/P2290014.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Magnus/FIN4.jpg

Archived