Pre-Heresy Project

Iacton

Hello all, I've been quite busy of late, but not been updating much *slaps wrist* sorry

I have actually been working on a duel diorama for UK Games Day. It is supposed to represent a moment in the Dropsite Massacre at Istvaan V, I still haven't named it yet (oops), but here we go

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Duel/Duel1.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Duel/SallieDetail.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Duel/IronDetails1.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Duel/Details1.jpg

What do you think?

oooh you finished leman russ i like very much

love the salamander alot maybe add a few more tones the the eyes like a bit of oragne or another shade or red actually on both models both of their eyes are just red

and add a bit more tonage to the scratch on the chaos dudes face

oh and scratch up the melta a bit the rest of the chaos dude is dirty and scratched but the gun is clean :o

other than that the detail is astounding, the chainsword head is brill the shoulder and knee pads are fantastic aswell

the iron warrior is very dirty and scratched the rivets look great too and the changed armour on the back of the legs is nice touch

thats my opinion but im no GD judge maybe i shall see you there :)

Great work. I really like the iron warrior inspire me to start them soon. How did you do the shoulder pad? Greem stuff? Nice sally too. Why did you go with the red eyes? Also in the duel who is winning? Just curious.. What colors did you use to get the iron warrior color?

Thanks Arius. The pad is indeed GS here's a couple of WIP links - LINK 1 & LINK 2

Sallie has red eyes in line with the recent ret-conning of sallies having really dark skin and red eyes...

The "iron" look is boltgun metal, washed down with ogryn flesh, sepia, baal red, lev. purple and some black and devlan mud too - all in different areas, then bought up again with really thin boltgun metal and a few thin highlights in mithril.

really nice diorama. Only one question and that is how you do your yellow. I can never get that flat, warm look. mine always come out like ive had an accident with some neon paint.

Thanks Atheos, the yellow is not too hard, it's much the same as my Imperial fist. Iyanden Darksun as a base - such an excellent colour BTW - do a couple of thin coats. Then mix in increasing amounts of badmoon to get it to brighten up. Highlight by adding in some rotting flesh to the mix. Shade with sepia wash!! Sepia wash is the most fantastic thing to use on yellow, if you thin it slightly you can use it like a proper layer and it just blends in fantastically.

oooh you finished leman russ i like very much

love the salamander alot maybe add a few more tones the the eyes like a bit of oragne or another shade or red actually on both models both of their eyes are just red

and add a bit more tonage to the scratch on the chaos dudes face

oh and scratch up the melta a bit the rest of the chaos dude is dirty and scratched but the gun is clean :lol:

other than that the detail is astounding, the chainsword head is brill the shoulder and knee pads are fantastic aswell

the iron warrior is very dirty and scratched the rivets look great too and the changed armour on the back of the legs is nice touch

thats my opinion but im no GD judge maybe i shall see you there ;)

Thanks Wiplash, I hope that I do get to bump into you, and thanks for the comments. There are some highlights in the eyes which show in the flesh, so to speak. Similarly the scrape across the helm.

I am having a bit of trouble "adjusting" my camera to deal with more than 1 model to photograph and also the early autumn light round my way. I have taken some more pics last night which I think are better, but I hope that you get the chance to see it up close anyway - look out for a tall(ish) bald(ish) bloke in a comedy white braveheart t-shirt with a BRIGHT red bag (hopefully full of resin goodies!!) and say hello :D

I'm not expecting to even get near to a demon (maybe I'll get to meet an eventual winner or two), but I would be very happy to make the cabinets.

Also to Br. Richard, thanks very much for your comment and PM replied to :D

Nice to see the two best Legions tearing chunks out of each other! The Iron Warrior looks great with all the battle damage but the Salamander is just pure badass!

If you see a guy at Games Day with a hawaian style shirt with skulls, say hello :ph34r:

Iacton you kept this one quiet! (or i havent been paying attention :huh: ) This diorama is brilliant i allways think that models in contakt on a dioramas are made by how they are touching each other (steady!) as hands or feet are often poorly positioned but this is spot on as far as im concened! hope all goes well at games day bud!

S.O.N.

Thanks S-O-N, my fault I guess for not doing a WIP thread on this one, but it was a bit nip and tuck as to whether I got it finished in time, plus I had a complete primer nightmare and the 1st Sallie went in the bin as a result!

I really didn't want the lean issue that you mention - the hold up the drunken mate pose! - so I am happy that it works ^_^

Thanks for the best wishes too.

And Reyner, Hawaiian skulls! :o :D

I'll keep an eye out for that ;)

Thanks Atheos, the yellow is not too hard, it's much the same as my Imperial fist. Iyanden Darksun as a base - such an excellent colour BTW - do a couple of thin coats. Then mix in increasing amounts of badmoon to get it to brighten up. Highlight by adding in some rotting flesh to the mix. Shade with sepia wash!! Sepia wash is the most fantastic thing to use on yellow, if you thin it slightly you can use it like a proper layer and it just blends in fantastically.

Thank you for the recipe. What company makes this Sepia Wash?

[snip]

Thank you for the recipe. What company makes this Sepia Wash?

It's in the new GW wash range :D "Gryphonne Sepia"

Thanks for the good luck messages guys.

The Duel didn't make the cut, BUT the Imperial Fist DID!! No demon unfortunately, but it ended up in the shelf right at the front under the Demon winners! So, a little badge for me on first attempt and only one shelf to go!! <_<

Congrats to the winners, I don't know if any are members here.

I didn't get to meet any of the B&C members, unfortunately. Maybe next year...

Here was the Fist again, in case anyone recognised it

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Imperial%20Fist/fin1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After a slightly turgid period immediately after Games Day, I have picked up the brushes to complete a model that I built around the same time as the duel models.

Unfortunately it did suffer slightly from the spray primer incident, but not enough to worry unduly - at least to begin with...

Anyway, the last model as such for the Pre-Heresy project was a marine from the 5th legion, the White Scars.

I didn't want a bike and I didn't want a top knot on his head, 2 things in the marine "fluff" that I find faintly ridiculous along with back banners, but we won't go into that now.

Originally I said that this was a Mk4 marine, but after somewhat lengthy debate, I shall say no more than this is my take on a pre-Heresy White Scar marine.

Anyway, here's Br. Harold

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/White%20Scar/FINBLUE.jpg

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Cheers ^_^

All this is very pleasant to see, thx for sharing frater Iacton.

I love your last one, the WS (why ant there more WS around, the'yre soooo elegants !!!), the pose seems natural and fluid, the armor markings are great (especially tho nosey one), scratchs don't ruin the mini's "reading" and that's impressive on white armor. I therefore think that your red needs a bit more work (or a better photo if not, of course). Darkening it a bit, using some catachan green and minimal lighting with the help of a "cold" yellow (like fluorescent one from PA) mixed with a drop of bleached bone (not to fall into an orange/red tone). Just my 2 cp, of course but you asked opinions :P .

Hmmm

Topknots and banners are Astartes Tradition.

Astartes Tradition never ever can be ridiculous, just... Hmmm kinda like the Fluff, hmmm too awesome to be fully understood by our feeble intellects and praised decently.

Therefore, topknots and banners are... Imperially cool and you must like them a lot...

A lot...

Lot...

;) ;)

DS

Archived