Mantis Warriors

Doghouse

Mantis Warriors

A while back I developed a thing for Battle of Macragge snap-fix marines and tried to put together an army of Space Sharks but soon lost interest. I recently came across these marines and decided that I'd have a bash at remaking them in the image of the Mantis Warriors. Most of my marines have been predominantly dark colours in the past and I've been itching to try something more colourful for a change of pace so redoing my Mantis Warriors army seemed like an ideal solution.

So if I understand you correctly these guys are from the BoM boxed set? Interesting that you have gotten such great details out of, what I consider to be inferior models... How did you get the sgt (the one with the sword) into that position? He looks fantastic. [EDIT] Nevermind I am an idiot - I just read how you did it. He looks great!

Makes me want to get some BoM guys and paint them for <DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>s and giggles.

When is someone going to do the Eagle Warriors? My old RT Ork army had a model with a looted Eagle Warriors' shoulder pad. Their chapter icon is a bit like the St. Louis Blues logo, except Blue on a White background. That's a pretty unloved but at one time official chapter.

Good work on these guys. I can understand the desire to have an army to play with, even if you have to lower your standards. That is the only way my fantasy Orks and Goblins are ever going to see the table top again. As for the Diseased Sons maybe I went too far, but I only got 20 or so models to go then I'll move on to Undivided and other powers and besides it looks really cool all out of the miniature cases and on one shelf. Maybe by the end of the summer I'll have it done and can post in the big army thread again...

You can never have too many Plaguemarines.

Cheers guys! B)

Firebird: My bad, you're right it was the Mortifactors. :D

CM Dante: The first ones took about an hour each tops but I'm bulk painting now which is much quicker so when I get the chance at the weekend I should have the rest of the squad finished.

GhostHand

[savage_heathen/Darth Potato: Goblin Green over a black undercoat, highlight with a 25/75 mix of skull white/goblin green and fine highlight with a 50/50 mix of the same. Shade with watered down Dark Angels green and then outline the armour with watered down green ink.

GhostHand: Yeah they're BoM I just removed the heads and added new ones like this:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/DSC02327_00.jpg

Drilled the neck out and added a FW or bare head. Dead easy. :)

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/DSC02328_00.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/DSC02334_00.jpg

It's great to see you working on a full army. For speedpainting, these guys look excellent! The Apothecary looks great too. I personally don't know why people are so opposed to Macragge Marines: any tactical squad you can find online for $15 is good in my book :lol: .

On a side note, how's the sculpting coming along on the Night Lords and Exorcists? Also, how's the model for your other game system going? When those are casted and up for sale I'll definitely pick some up and give the game a try.

Nice work. I have three of those guys, and honestly.. That's about all I can stand. The stock pose is just so uncreative that it hurts. I mean, eventually I might try to redo them, but I'd be worried about wrecking the heads which I could use elsewhere..

Thanks guys! :P

Stuart: The Night Lords are on hold but I have done some more on the Exorcist Captain. The original sculpt has the new armature prepped but I've yet to start on it, I'll let you know when I have some more news on that and the game.

I'm seriously fighting for some free time at the moment so I can do some more work on the Mantis Warriors first, I'm absolutely completely shattered at the moment so haven't been able to get much done on anything.

I have got the first squad of these guys assembled and undercoated though. :D

NemFX: Yeah they get mixed reactions I guess. I personally love 'em, I got half a company of marines for forty quid online which is great but it means that I have to be a bit more creative.

Just a quick update...

I'm going to use these guys I made for another army that I started for the Mantis Warriors.

The first, following the snap-fix theme, is made from an old plastic scout. I've revamped the model by mixing in parts of the current plastic scouts to update it it.

The second will form the basis of a veteran sergeant in Mk III armour. I've decided to set the army at the begining of the Badab war, the veteran squad will be still in the Tranquility Campaign colour scheme having just returned and not had time to repaint their armour. I figure that it'll make for a more interesting veteran unit.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture090.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture091.jpg

Thanks mate! He was a fairly straight forward conversion. I used the torso, boots and head from the old model and added the upper legs and arms from the newer ones with some GS here and there.

It turned out pretty good, I'm converting the old plastic sergeant to lead them as well as I love the old Advanced Space Crusade scouts.

Some really nice conversion work going on there - I especially love the old-school Scout conversion. I have a few of those somewhere - I may have to try a similar conversion. :D

Update time...

WIP Second Squad Sergeant

This guy is a bit of an experiment not only at speed painting and converting but also whether or not a squad of BfM marines will work as part of the army.

I've carried the theme of the BfM marines over by having the sergeatn face forward. I prefer the side on approach myself as it makes the models look like they are actually fighting in battle and look less static.

I may convert a few helmets for this second squad but I don't want to get too side tracked.

I've just basecoated the base snakebite leather and will be going over this with brown ink before drybrushing begins. I've still got all the metallics to do on the marine just yet though and some tidying up and detailing.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture059-2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture060-2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture055-2.jpg

Here is a shot of the rest of the first squad undercoated to show that I am working hard on this army and not getting distracted. :)

I'd love to do an army of just these guys but they are a little more time consuming to make.

The third squad will be made the same way though or maybe a mix of both styles.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture058-1.jpg

The Tranquility Campaign Veterans

Other than the image in the Warhammer 40,000 compendium there isn't any information surrounding the campaign itself, it was just used as an alternative colour scheme for the Mantis Warriors.

This gives me a bit of room to play around with the concept a little in regards to making a veteran squad for the army. The idea that I'm working on at the moment is that the Badab Wars are begining to take shape during the final days of the Tranquility campaign. The yet un-named Captain has been withdrawn from the conflict early leaving elements of the third company to mop up remaining resistance on Tranquility. I'm thinking of Orks being the most likely bad guys of the campaign itself.

When the remaining troops return to the homeworld they are informed of a plot by the Adeptus Mechanicus to undermine the independance of the Astartes. This is of course a lie and the chapter has been tricked into siding with the rebels.

As the war is now underway the veterans don't have time to ceremonially repaint their armour and enter battle wearing the campaign colours.

The Original Colour Scheme

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Mantis_Tranquility_Campaign_Sniper_.jpg

This is the original colour scheme of the campaign. The idea back in the rogue trader days was that camoflage was an option for the Astartes and their are examples for both vehicles and Astartes variant colour schemes of several chapters.

Todays take on the Astartes is somewhat different however, back in the day they weren't the pious warriors that we know and love today.

So expanding on this theme I'm going to attempt a reverse colour scheme for the Tranquility veterans, so the green will become yellow and the yellow will become green if you see what I mean.

More recent examples of a chapters doing this can be seen in the Land Raider article in White Dwarf where the Imperial Fists reverse the colours of a Land Raider for fighting on a night world and the Raptors changing their colours to green for jungle fighting.

The key here is going to be to maintain the colours without making them look out of place.

Thanks mate! ;)

I'm aiming for an all snap-fix army so all the marines will be BfM conversions. Hopefully when the new starter set comes out they'll include BfM style snap-fix marines so I can add Terminators and Dreadnaughts to the force.

The idea that I'm working on at the moment is that the Badab Wars are begining to take shape during the final days of the Tranquility campaign.

Though not entirely canon (as it was done by some redshirt equivalents) the Warhammer World Badab War campaign had the jungle death world of Tranquility as one of the warzones of the Badab War.

Archived