Mantis Warriors

Doghouse

Thanks mate! :Troops:

Yeah I've got this one but it's not great, the lascannons are a bit wonky and need a majot overhaul. The bit behind the sponson was intended to be a battle shrine with a speaker above it playing battle hymns.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture073-2.jpg

The main areas I need to clean up are the insides of the tracks either side of the front ramp and I'm going to have to fill some gaps and add detailing. I fancy painting some scrollwork on it.

I originally made the tank years ago and it certainly shows. :Troops:

It's a bit of a hardman's tank really, the only access point is the front ramp which means that the troops have to disembark directly into the teeth of their enemy, none of this sneeking out the sides stuff!

It's a bit of a hardman's tank really, the only access point is the front ramp which means that the troops have to disembark directly into the teeth of their enemy, none of this sneeking out the sides stuff!

Well, Land Raiders aren't for wimpy Guardsmen after all. :Troops:

A nice version of the Pre-Heresy raider before the PH kit came out I'm guessing. That and the shortened hull make it quite unique. If I may, the lower of the two Lascannon looks a bit droopy. Though you did say it had to be reworked.

Thanks mate, yeah the droopy lascannon has to go and it was indeed made before the FW model came out as you say. It was intended to be like the epic version that came with Epic Space Marine when they reworked the epic landraiders.

My other option is to rework this monster that I started for my Dark Angels army some time ago but it might be too gothic.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture074-2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture075-2.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh138/baneofangels123/Picture146.jpg

Very, very cool, the spherical sponsons and turret are just oozing with originality (although I may be really mis-informed as I know very little on the past history of WH40K tanks :P :P )

As for the dark angels land raider, I would think either remove the top or don't use it because it doesn't fit with the army :P :P

The marines themselves look great!

Cheers,

Brother P.

I love your Darkangels Land Raider! I'd add it and make it a chaplain transport its just to pretty! I love the BfM bits mixed with FW bits and normal bits too.

I have to say, as much as I think it's a thing of beauty... the DA 'Raider just doesn't fit in with the overall feel of what you have so far.

However, if anyone could pull it off, Doghouse, I think it'd be you.

As always, I find your work so informative and inspiring all at once, so please keep this going.

A couple of thoughts:

- The "PH" Land Raider looks great.

- While the gothic Land Raider is cool, like others have said it wouldn't fit with the rest of the army.

- I would recommend either removing the Predator from its base, or making a base for the Land Raider so that they're both done similarly.

Looking forward to some more painted guys!

Cheers guys! :lol:

I was thinking of something along the lines of a Chaplain transport as well actually.

My Dark Angels probably will never get back off the ground and although this brute is fairly crude looking at the moment I think that I can turn it into something nice. It'd be a shame to waste it really.

I'm hoping to make my force a little more gothic than the norm. I'm not talking Dark Angels or Black Templar gothic though, just enough to make them a little more individual looking.

In my mind the Astartes are each a hero in their own right and it's a theme that I hope to carry across when making the models.

I'm currently adding more ornate shoulder pads, re-sculpting helms and generally going for a more ornate feel for the third squad of BfM marines. I hope to scatter these models throughout the squads.

Hopefully I should have the first tactical squad finished by the end of the weekend along with the Captain.

The preadator isn't attached to the base but it is something that I've concidered doing for the vehicles. I may try to turn them into mini dioramas in their own right.

Brother Plasticard: The Predator is made from an old RT era model combined with the newer rhino model. ^_^

Hmm, I understand what you mean about the individuality Doghouse, but it is definitely something that can be conveyed simply by some freehand insignia and the like, as well as sculpted details.

StratoKhan : Yeah, I think that is the best way to go actually.

As a squad of basecoated green marines isn't that interesting to look at here is the basic frame work of something extremely special I'm working on for the Mantis Warriors.

It's still early days but some of you Rogue Trader era veterans may recognise it. :unsure:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture085-1.jpg

Seeing as how i don't have a clue about the RT era i can't comment on the 'naught, however if its something you're doing Doghouse, i'm sure it'll be awesome. I just have a question about the colour scheme for the Mantis Warriors - what recipe do you use for that green?

Goblin Green over a black undercoat, highlight with a 25/75 mix of skull white/goblin green and fine highlight with a 50/50 mix of the same. Shade with watered down Dark Angels green and then outline the armour with watered down green ink.

I then weathered the models with a series of scorched brown washs to make it look like dirt had collected in the reccesses of the armour.

Awesome, thanks man! I'm looking for a decent green for a "non-PA" army i'm going to be starting shortly, and yours is just extremely cool :rolleyes: Looking forward to more on the naught as well

And the cookie goes to Keyoz Devastrius... :lol:

I'm building a Mk I Fury class Venerable Dreadnaught armed with Lascannon and DCCW. :)

Aw, I knew I should have gotten off my ass and made one before someone else did.

I guess once (hah!) I make mine we can compare designs.

Last time I checked, scratch building wasn't easy and took time. No need to discourage the man.

You missed the mucking about then.. christ some people on these forums take everything to seriously.

Not discouraging him just trying to push him on. :teehee:

Archived