Mantis Warriors

Doghouse

think everyone knows that Doghouse and Slowing Down don't go hand in hand anyways :P looking forward to the dread, wish i had the stones to try and scratch build something!

A little late in the thread, but Doghouse, would you mind sharing what you did with the underside of the Macragge Marine arms? I'm about to paint one as a final member of a tac squad, but the arms molded into the body are making me sick. How did you paint those huge chunks of "extra" plastic?

Thanks!

Thanks guys! ;)

StratoKhan: Yeah that's be cool!!!

Brother Styphus: It's alright mate Pulse's winding me up is his way of trying to encourage me. ;)

Or atleast I hope that's what he's been doing all this time... ^_^ :(

ShinyRhino: I know what you mean, on the early ones I recut the arms slightly with a knife or used GS to redefine the edges. Now I just paint a black line to show where the arm ends and use shading to hide it.

The Dread should certainly be an interesting addition (wonder how it'll look alongside the snap-together Dread in that new box set...). I'm mostly just looking forward to seeing some finished Tactical Squads, though.

Yes boss! :( ^_^

Should have some updates by the weekend all gonig well. :D

damn and here I was gonna say take the weekend off so you dont burn out again and enjoy your self with a few pints. but to each his own. I'm still looking forward to updates on your actual scale marines ^_^ anything you do this weekend I'm sure will be happily excepted except mowing the backyard that has nothing to do with modelling so forget it unless the wife is wondering about it then you might wanna work on it first

Doghouse, I've stayed off this thread and the CSKD thread because I don't want to jinx your spurt of creative output. But I see the mantis warriors falling to the second page and I just have to say "A single moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy." :D

I've been lurking in this thread with a smile from ear to ear. This is such a cool chapter and no one does it. I love the throw back pred and other elements that make this army so damn cool. And of course I like the green as well ;)

Keep goin man. I'll be in Vienna more than likely in July to teach at a soccer academy so don't make me stop in the UK and yell at you for not finishing! :) :D

Keep goin brutha.

Cheers guys!

Nephren-ka: Hopefully I'll get the torso part of the Truescale tutorial this weekend with any luck as it's the part that I get the most PMs about.

Master Toddius: Don't worry mate although the CSK(od) are taking up a lot of my attention at the moment because they are so much fun I'm still loving the Mantis Warriors and hopefully will have updates soon. :huh:

Just to show that I haven't abandoned this army here's a quick update on the dreadnaught that I'm working on today.

Scale Shot

As you can see this guyy is pretty big and I've just started working on the sarcophicus by adding the base plate on which I'll be adding the detailing.

It's still incredibley WIP at the moment but once the basic form is in place I'll be sanding him down and adding the GS to shape the model.

For those that know the original model I'll be using the smaller legs as they are my favourite version of the model and will allow me to create a sense of weight to the piece.

More asap. :sweat:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture112.jpg

You know, in a deliciously ironic twist, when I first saw this I thought you were making a big version of the Mantis Warriors' chapter badge The black discs are perfect for the badge's bug eyes.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Pulse: Thanks mate! :D

Paladin7221: I never noticed that but you're right. :P

Well I've gotten a little bit more done and am not one hundred percent convinced on this guy now as I think that it may be a little too big for a dreadnaught. I've been trawling through scale pictures for the regualr dread and it's nearly twice the height of a marine as you can see here.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture114.jpg

The legs I'm going to add won't add that much height but something is nagging at me that it's wrong.

It's still looking extremely rough at the moment but I've started adding the armature for the head. What I'm hoping to do is make a hybrid of the original dread and the Mk II power armoured suit.

I've also added a rough armature for the arm which I will be added armour to so that it resembles the original arm as closely as possible complete with duel bolters on the back of the fist. For the weapon arm I'm going to make a twin lascannon in the style of the original and I also want to incorporate elements of the heresy artwork version into the design.

There is going to be a lot of GS work on this guy, where the arms meet the shoulder will be rounded off like the original as will the hip joints.

The head itself is going to be completed first before I do any more as it is the focal point of the piece and if it doesn't work I wouldn't have wasted too much time.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture113-1.jpg

I don't think the size you're showing there will be an issue. The only thing I see that might hinder you is the legs fitting unto a traditional base. Those RT era dreads have a very wide stance. But thats when your inovative thinking comes into play. And beyond that, who cares if its a little bigger. You just call it the Mantis Knight Ven Dread in honor of the RT knight class titans. I would just go for it.

What I think might be interesting is if you could do a quad leg design to mimic the Manits Form.

Kinda like the studies Grey Death has played with:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Greydeath/inde...p?showtopic=232

I also found these for maybe a little inspiration:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/attachmen...mp;d=1158072957

http://warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?a...mp;d=1197421225

Just some thoughts. ;)

Cheers guys!

Master T: I'll probably have bash at the regular RT era legs, cheers for links though as they ahve given me food for thought. ;)

I think I might just be able to get away with the size, now the head is in place it's looking a little more to scale.

I've got some more work done on the head and it's starting to take shape. As you can see I'm going for the general shape of the old version but with the Mk II elements in an attempt to make the design a bit more credible by todays standards. I tried the original style eyes but it looked too comical so decided for a vision slit to tie it in with the modern version.

Still got a whole heap of detailing to be done yet but it's getting there. :eek

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture115.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture116.jpg

Goblin Green over a black undercoat, highlight with a 25/75 mix of skull white/goblin green and fine highlight with a 50/50 mix of the same. Shade with watered down Dark Angels green and then outline the armour with watered down green ink.

I then weathered the models with a series of scorched brown washs to make it look like dirt had collected in the reccesses of the armour.

@Cannibalizer - like this ^

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm still hard at work on the dread but have felt the urge to paint vehicles. Luckily I just happened to have some old Rhinos and a Predator from my old White Scorpions army and so I have begun the task of repainting them in the Mantis Warriors colours.

I'm just basecoating the tank at the moment, once that's done I'll highlight shade and weather the model.

Hopefully I should have more pictures of the first tactical squad today all going well.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture148.jpg

Something you could do with the Mantis Warriors is give them spikes o their forearms. You gave one of them spikes (or it came with them), it just may be an interesting theme throughout the army.

The idea came from the GW site. I can't find the article :(

Cheers guys!

Kaleb Daark: Thanks mate, I really appreciate the compliment! :P

Vladar: Yeah I added some forearm blades to the Captain, I may have to do that with the veterans. I like the idea of personalising each and every marine to distinguish them as the heroes they really are and commemorate past campaigns.

For example the forearm blades mark veterans of one campaign where-as skulls on the belts mark veterans of another, it gives them a bit of character. :)

Darth Potato: Yeah it's just the basecoat at the moment which is the colour all the marines start out as. Once I've begun highlighting and shading it'll look the same. :)

I've made some progress today but have been mostly working on a couple of pieces for some mates. I'll try and put up some pictures of the first combat squad later this evening. :)

Archived