Two's Companies!

As for me I am in the middle of a change of plans, but hopefully will have something to start showing once I get the new dex and figure out what the heck I want to do...

-T.

Personally, you should bring these guys back... :)

Yes bring back the Iron Spectres!

Well, I took Midian's advice to try Anteas with a pointing arm (Fabricator-General also told me that he needed a 'See that over there? I want it dead!' pose.) So here's the WIPs:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/Anteas-WIP-15.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/Anteas-WIP-14.jpg

It's not the ideal arm, but it helps him seem more of a 'Commander'. I made the arm from a bolt pistol arm and a pointing hand taken from the AoBR Sergeant. Ideally I'd like the pointing hand out of the Command Squad, though. Although I've always intended Anteas to lead from the front, this pose makes him look as though he's scanning the enemy lines before committing himself.

My other conundrum is Senior Sergeant Caetrus - This cheery fellow. I'd like to include him, ideally without having to have his helmet on, but I have no idea how to get a head as ugly as that! My GSing isn't really up to that standard.

Oh, I'm given to understand that Tiberius will be posting on Saturday, the Codex release day. :)

I like the new pose, but I'm biased as I enjoying announcing "POINTING DRAMATICALLY" every time I realign one of my pointing vets to be pointing at the enemy. :)

I might well have to hire someone sooner or later. Caetrus isn't an immediate priority, though, so it's okay. I've put up a 1000pt list here, and barring any major changes, those are going to be the models I'm going to work on. I went to my local GW today and picked up the new Sergeant Telion, along with a box of sniper scouts, a box of normal scouts and a scout biker. (As you can tell, I'm interested in scouts!)

So my list at the moment consists of:

Captain Anteas

Tactical Squad with Lascannon

Tactical Squad with Missile Launcher and Flamer

Scout Squad

Sternguard Veteran Squad

Razorback

Thunderfire Cannon

and a Whirlwind!

And I'm rather lacking when it comes to having this list ready. Anteas is a WIP, as you can see - I've got the Tactical Squads at perhaps 80% completion. The Scouts are in pieces, the Sternguard Squad are awaiting assembly (and I might have to get the box to supplement my forces) - the Razorback needs buying, the Thunderfire is a nightmare in itself, whilst the Whirlwind needs the turret assembling and then painting.

At least I have a clearly defined goal now, though! For the time being, I can limit myself to assembling and painting what's on this list, rather than random models lying around on my desk.

In other news, I think I've found a somewhat suitable statue for Anteas's base - it's a model made by Hasslefree miniatures that looks like it'll work. The link is here (though I should add a disclaimer that you shouldn't click if you're offended by sculpted breasts! ^_^ ) - I'm going to be ordering it soon and then attempting to cut it into size to fit underneath Anteas's raised foot. I think that if it's painted to look like marble or stone it would look quite effective.

The next update from me will likely include WIP Scout models!

the subtle conversions are awesome.. great choice of bits.. cant wait to see that stuff painted.. love the fluff also

your blog served great inspiration for creating my own officer cadre for my marines malevolent

keep up the good work

I've also been fiddling around with a model for Captain Ramus, Master of the Rites - I suppose there's a little bit of inspiration taken from 300, but the good kind:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/Ramus-001.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/Ramus-002.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/Ramus-003.jpg

What model is this? Cus I would love to use it in my army

It was originally released in a Black Templars army box around 1998 with the Armageddon 3 campaign. Ebay is your friend now.

Nice little list there Mol, should be a good force on the table. I'll have a think on Caetrus and give you a shout if I get any ideas.

the subtle conversions are awesome.. great choice of bits.. cant wait to see that stuff painted.. love the fluff also

your blog served great inspiration for creating my own officer cadre for my marines malevolent

keep up the good work

Thanks, Tagsta (I'm a big fan of your Marines, by the way!) - I've recently put up a new blog (naming all the Marines in the 5th! :D) But people don't have to go to my extremes to come up with a characterful force of Marines. :)

Well for Caetrus I'd suggest trying this: link,scroll down for the exposed skull bit, that could work.

Keep up the good work ;)

Cheers Ferrus. I've seen that LoTD tutorial and was impressed by it, but I'm not so sure it'd work - after all, the sheer amount of his skin that's burnt wouldn't really leave much left!

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigators/caetrus2.jpg

It was originally released in a Black Templars army box around 1998 with the Armageddon 3 campaign. Ebay is your friend now.

Yeah, you can see the model here, if you're interested.

In other news:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Ranon.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Ranon.jpg

:D

Touche sir, touche.

Mol, whats Caetrus armed with? Have you got any other descriptions of him? I think i've had in idea which just might work.............

I've never really given much thought to his armament - the focus has always been on him as a character. (that's the curse of us fluffy types, I'm afraid!) I know he's equipped with Mk.IV armour. As the Company's Senior Sergeant he's also second-in-command - should Anteas ever die, or be promoted, then it's Captain Caetrus (and then everyone's in trouble!). I guess I'd always figured that even though he's a Senior Sergeant, he uses a bolt pistol and chainsword - the idea being that he's deadly enough with them.

(On another note, Aerion sent me this sketch a few days ago.)

By the sounds of it (and the artwork) he'd be a little bulkier than most marines, probably terminator honours somewhere, a few purity seals etc.

If its ok with you i'll try mocking something up and we'll see how he looks.

Sure, it can't hurt! I don't know quite how 'bulky' he would be. Probably, though. He's definitely a very intimidating personality. There is this description from my (eternally) WIP fiction, Machinery of Hate...

I remember that I had turned from the Captain to admire how the Kriegers had camouflaged the titanic bulk of their Baneblade super-heavy when I heard the armoured footfalls splashing down the trench.

Caetrus was the Captain's senior sergeant, a veteran with a fearsome reputation among the warriors of the Company. Many years previous, he had been consumed by a titanic explosion whilst single-handedly repelling an enemy attack. A Hellhound, they say. It was before I joined the Company, and thus I had always known Caetrus as he was then. The flesh had been seared from his body, leaving his skull hairless, his skin scarred and blistered. He was plain-speaking and direct; I knew that Anteas valued that quality in him, and had even depended upon it at times. The purity seals adorning the Sergeant's Mark IV plate fluttered as he made his way towards the Captain. I knew Caetrus well enough to know something was amiss. He paused, nodding his respects at me, before regarding the Captain with his dark, heavy-set eyes.

"Brother-Captain. The scouts have reported in."

"Good." Anteas had been waiting several hours for the scouts of Sergeant Callus' squad to report. "What do they have to say?"

"It appears the enemy plan to assault the Tertian Gate. Three companies of soldiers, at least, with additional armoured support."

As the Sergeant talked, I had called up a map of the city; marking the anticipated attack on the data-slate should the Captain require a visual aid. I doubted he would; he had a mind as sharp as a razor. The enemy troops we had encountered thus far had been surprisingly well-equipped. It was an unfortunate stereotype that the Astartes only ever faced ill-armed savages with rocks and clubs. Some of these traitors to the Emperor's name had even been seen with hellguns and carapace armour.

"That area is under the command of Sergeant Vitus, is it not? Inform him and ready the Kriegers to reinforce the line, should it be required."

Caetrus nodded at that. It was common knowledge amongst the company that he had conducted his own inspection of the Krieg lines. Of course, he'd done it with his helmet on. From what I understood, the Death Korps had even impressed him, both with their skill-at-arms and their disposition. The Krieg were almost kindred spirits with Caetrus. Both seemed to throw themselves to the wolves with self-destructive glee. Both seemed to return unscathed - more or less.

"Is there anything else, Sergeant?"? Anteas asked, noting that Caetrus had not left. "What else have the scouts to report?"

Since losing his face, Caetrus had been blessed with an almost emotionless mask of scar tissue. I almost envied him for that. I knew it couldn't have been easy to deliver his next words.

"It is as you feared, Captain. The scouts reported traitor Astartes. The Word Bearers."

I watched Anteas' face darken, his jaw muscles clenching as he considered the import of the news. I realise now that I must have had a similar expression on my face; the Word Bearers were - and are - one of our most hated enemies. Some have, in the past, compared the Castigators to Lorgar's sons. They say we both espouse our ideologies with vehemence and an arrogant sense of self-righteousness. We have always made sure to exact a blood-price for such insulting and slanderous heresies. We fight to preserve the Imperium, whilst the Word Bearers only ever fight according to further their own inscrutable designs. Of all the fallen Legions, we reserve our darkest fury and our most furious hatred for the Word Bearers. None are more debased than their apostles. Their involvement meant that this chaotic insurrection was far more serious than we first realised. As I looked into Anteas' face, I realised it also meant we were committed. We would reap victory here, or we would die.

Thanks, Tagsta (I'm a big fan of your Marines, by the way!) - I've recently put up a new blog (naming all the Marines in the 5th! :wacko:) But people don't have to go to my extremes to come up with a characterful force of Marines. :)

yeah I saw that... I guess you are as zealous as the castigators are :D

no seriously... Your whole name/fluff thing inspired me to name my existing officers (Masters of the Chapter + the Chapter Master + Honour Guard and stuff) and in the future I will try to attach some fluff like you did with the scarred guy whenever I present a new unit

yeah I saw that... I guess you are as zealous as the castigators are :wacko:

Haha, people who've been on the receiving end of my criticism might think so!

no seriously... Your whole name/fluff thing inspired me to name my existing officers (Masters of the Chapter + the Chapter Master + Honour Guard and stuff) and in the future I will try to attach some fluff like you did with the scarred guy whenever I present a new unit

Awesome. I liked the photographs you presented in one of your more recent topics - the one with the convoy. It was reminiscent of a lot of the stuff they do in the Imperial Armour books. By the way, did you know that I'm in the Marines Malevolent? :D

(Scout pictures up tomorrow!)

Awesome. I liked the photographs you presented in one of your more recent topics - the one with the convoy. It was reminiscent of a lot of the stuff they do in the Imperial Armour books.

it was definitely inspired by the IA books that i was reading a couple of days before that...

By the way, did you know that I'm in the Marines Malevolent? :D

haha that's hilarious :wacko:

i added you on AIM btw

(Scout pictures up tomorrow!)

sweeet =) can't wait

Would a modified Lucius the Eternal's head work for Mr. Smily/Caetrus?

Khrangar

see there are just 2 problems i see with that head bit for caetrus:

scar tissue in spades, but its the wrong kind (hed have to greenstuff over it extensively)

and the mouth/tongue on lucius would need to be converted too.

Archived