Two's Companies!

Much better. When you get the head on make sure it's parallel to the base, you'll get a good charging look to it.

Free Sternguard? Bonus. I'd be inclined to do them all as Castigators, leave the Deathwatch to the plastics, you'll have more room to personalise them to specific chapters.

I think I want both to be a hybrid. Difficult people might be more inclined to accept the Deathwatch as Sternguard if I use some of the Sternguard bolters, for example. (Well that and the fact that I don't have many Deathwatch Bolters). I'll really have to dig out all the various veterans I've got to see how much in the way of raw materials I have to work with.

Either way, I'm trying to get my 1000 point list assembled, so I only need five Sternguard - with my Deathwatch pretty much complete, they'll be the ones I'm using for now.

As to the head, I find his model has a bit of a weird neck-joint, so I might need to carve out the back of the helmet in order to get it parallel. I'd been considering a Mk.VI helmet - any preferences?

the pointing beaky marine would be a good raven guard deathwatch marine, just a thought.

and how, pray tell, did you acquire a sternguard box for free?

I've considered it - it has the laurel wreath, so initially I didn't want to use it as a Castigator. I'm not sure, though.

I've got a feeling its something to do with his brother.

Well, I don't want to get anyone in trouble, if you get me. :RTBBB:

As to the head, I find his model has a bit of a weird neck-joint, so I might need to carve out the back of the helmet in order to get it parallel. I'd been considering a Mk.VI helmet - any preferences?

Any head is good head. ;)

Well, I don't want to get anyone in trouble, if you get me. :)

Thought so. ;)

Wonderful progress, Mol. Anteas looks good and the fact that you've got both the banner and robe flowing in the same direction is a nice little detail that really adds something. I've seen some other models with robes going one way and capes or banners going another, it's often comical really.

Concerning the Deathwatch Marines: the Ultramarine Sergeant Chronus conversion is brilliant. I'm sure cutting the helmet out of the fist and bolt pistol off Chronus' hand wasn't an easy endeavor, attention to detail like that really makes these models come alive. The Sword Bearer has an excellent sense of motion, however, I don't think that a sword in the other arm would look right. The Lamentor marine is fine, seems to be having fun with his special ammo, what MK head do you plan on using? Unfortunately, the Black Templar really looks bland compared to the other three. Sure, it has a robe and Templar helmet, but while the others have pewter bits and special shoulder pads, the Templar seems to be left out in the cold. A crusader helmet, maybe a Black Templar chest plate or covering him in purity seals, I'd think that looking at the old Developing Unique Crusade Iconography could result in some inspiration for improving it. Then again, it's not my model and if you like what you've got, go with it.

I really can't wait to see the captain (excellent choice in head bit) or Deathwatch Sternguard completed. Just to throw it out there, the Castigator with the Games Day body and hammer, keep the hammer, I don't think a 2 handed Crozius would look that great and Thunder hammers scream 40k as loud as chainsaw swords.

• 1 month later...

Just a random flurry of pictures to show that I'm still working (when I get home...)

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/Eviscerator-001.jpg

I've got a lot of Necromunda models sitting around and I'm pondering the feasibility of seperating this eviscerator from this Redemptionist in order to give it to an Assault Squad Sergeant or the like. (Take that, relic blades!)

I also managed to unearth one of those 'Iwo Jima' dioramas. Mine's been broken since I got it, but I have all the bits. I suppose with some work I could perhaps reassemble it but I don't really have much use for it. I've been pondering the standard, recently, wondering if I can do anything with it.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/Iwo-Jima-01.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/Iwo-Jima-02.jpg

It is useful in that one of the standard bearers is a Blood Angel - I don't have a decent Blood Angels Chapter pad (only the Death Company ones) so I'm considering sawing it out and using it on my Deathwatch;

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/Iwo-Jima-03.jpg

Talking of Deathwatch, I sculpted a heart for my Lamenter. It's not perfect, and I did touch it up to be better, but my camera died before I could take a second picture.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/Lamenter-002.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/Lamenter-001.jpg

I've been trying to clean out my many, many bitzboxes (as you'll read soon in another thread) so I've been finding lots and lots of older models. I found one of the old metal shotgun scouts:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/Scout.jpg

As you can see, he's missing his head. The scouts have smaller heads than their power armoured brethren, so I thought this Master of the Chapter head would be useful (I certainly don't have any other use for those badly-sculpted monstrosities!) Updates will be forthcoming, eventually. :)

Lastly, I found this guy - I have two - the Sergeant from the Second edition Boxed set. I'd like to take out his head somehow, clean it up, and use it in a more modern suit of power armour.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/Old-Sarge.jpg

Big selection of stuff there Mol, lots of possibilities.

The redemptionist eviscirator would be ace on an assault marine, definatly suits the Castigators. Might even be worth trying to convert some arms so that its raised above the marines head.

Never been a fan of the Iwo Jima diorama, but as parts it's got its uses. Not sure what you could do with the banner though.

The gs work on the Lamenter looks good, be interested to see the finished pad.

Ddin't realise the Masters heads would fit the scouts, might even be a good replacement for the plastics.

2nd Ed plastics? Haven't seen one of those in years! A saw and some paitence would be your best bet to get the head out.

Nice to see some more work, Mol. Trying to make Marius from the "FireBrands" (Assault seargent with eviscirator)? :) If not, we could come up with the idea that there is a small band of Castigators that study the art of war with an eviscirator. Just a thought.

Big selection of stuff there Mol, lots of possibilities.

The redemptionist eviscirator would be ace on an assault marine, definatly suits the Castigators. Might even be worth trying to convert some arms so that its raised above the marines head.

Never been a fan of the Iwo Jima diorama, but as parts it's got its uses. Not sure what you could do with the banner though.

The gs work on the Lamenter looks good, be interested to see the finished pad.

Ddin't realise the Masters heads would fit the scouts, might even be a good replacement for the plastics.

2nd Ed plastics? Haven't seen one of those in years! A saw and some paitence would be your best bet to get the head out.

I'd like the eviscerator assault Marine to have it over his head or in some suitably dramatic pose. Of course, the plastic arms aren't entirely conducive to such a daring aim... I'll definitely give it a try, though, as I'd like it to be quite dramatic.

With regards to the Lamenter heart, it annoyed me a little, so I've re-done it, but my camera's batteries ran out. I'll recharge and try to get you a better shot.

Nice to see some more work, Mol. Trying to make Marius from the "FireBrands" (Assault seargent with eviscirator)? ;) If not, we could come up with the idea that there is a small band of Castigators that study the art of war with an eviscirator. Just a thought.

Hah, I had a similar idea to you. I've always liked the eviscerators (as they were in Necromunda, rather than the long chainswords favoured by the Sisters Repentia) as so I'd like to use one as a power fist or relic blade in an assault squad or vanguard squad. It's going to be a bit tricky to convert it, though... I'll try to keep you guys updated.

I'd like the eviscerator assault Marine to have it over his head or in some suitably dramatic pose. Of course, the plastic arms aren't entirely conducive to such a daring aim... I'll definitely give it a try, though, as I'd like it to be quite dramatic.

The storm bolter arms from the vehicle sprue could be useful for getting the arms over the head.

With regards to the Lamenter heart, it annoyed me a little, so I've re-done it, but my camera's batteries ran out. I'll recharge and try to get you a better shot.

Looking forward to it.

The storm bolter arms from the vehicle sprue could be useful for getting the arms over the head.

Ah, I see what you mean! That sort of "over the head". I meant a bit like the metal Redemptionist, over one shoulder, poised to slash diagonally down. That sort of "over the head", jumping pose could really work, it really depends though. I think using the left storm bolter arm and possibly a right bolter arm might work... I'll have to give it a try once I cut it out of the Redemptionist.

Ah, I see what you mean! That sort of "over the head". I meant a bit like the metal Redemptionist, over one shoulder, poised to slash diagonally down. That sort of "over the head", jumping pose could really work, it really depends though. I think using the left storm bolter arm and possibly a right bolter arm might work... I'll have to give it a try once I cut it out of the Redemptionist.

For a pose similar to the redemptionist, i'd use the missile launcher support arm, purely as is will go straight across the body - you'd justneed to find a suitable arm to go on the other side - a bolter arm of bent bolt pistol arm would work wel for that.

and a Blood Angel.

Glad to see the Blood Angels getting a piece of the pie. I wonder how the other Deathwatch would act if he went into the Black Rage :) Anyway doing good, do you have any painted guys we could see, I'd love to see some more painted Castigators.

At the moment I have an Ultramarine, a Lamenter, a Black Templar, a Sword Bearer and a Blood Angel. They are a "count-as" Sternguard squad so I've only made the five I need so far.

What? No love for the Dark Angels?

Seriously though, I've been going through your thread and I have to say that there is alot of really well thought out model conversions and poses. But now that you have so many of the best SM models GW has put out -- you need to start painting! :) Just by the choice of models alone the paintjobs stand a good chance of looking great.

Very entertaining thread. :)

At the moment I have an Ultramarine, a Lamenter, a Black Templar, a Sword Bearer and a Blood Angel. They are a "count-as" Sternguard squad so I've only made the five I need so far.

What? No love for the Dark Angels?

Seriously though, I've been going through your thread and I have to say that there is alot of really well thought out model conversions and poses. But now that you have so many of the best SM models GW has but out -- you need to start painting! :) Just by the choice of models alone the paintjobs stand a good chance of looking great.

Very entertaining thread. :)

Thank you, Toddius. :) I rate myself as an above-average converter, but my painting is a bit lacking. With that said, Midian's been giving me some pointers and I hope to be getting back on that horse soon! As you say, I've got a LOT of Marine models, and it's occurred to me recently that I need to start clearing out my bitzboxes. I've downed tools on the Castigators to a degree, in part because I'm hoping to get some extra bits that'll make all the difference.

In the meantime, I'm working on a small force of Relictors, and I'll be posting a thread for them soon. I'll be using them to get back into the swing of painting, hopefully.

As for the Dark Angels - I do have a really cool conversion idea for an Unforgiven guy - I was considering making him a Guardian of the Covenant, just because I love their scheme. I'd do him in black armour but keep the crimson robe (which'd help tie into the Castigators, I guess!) All I need is one particular bit and I'll have him done in a flash!

Just so I don't feel guilty for a big post without pictures, here's the re-done Lamenter pad. It looks a little messy, I know, but the heart itself looks more heart-like and proportional, I think, which is key.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/Lamenter-003.jpg

Okay, since my last post I've worked a bit on a Dark Angel Unforgiven Marine of some Chapter or another to go into my Deathwatch. Here he is as he stands right now. very WIP:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/DA-01.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigator%20Army/DA-02.jpg

Archived