Realm of Ultramar: Astronomy and Geography

Brother Pariah

Post changed to take the speculation out of the part that includes sources. I think it's a bit of a coincidence that a planet in Ultramar just so happens to be named after the adoptive father of the region's leader (at the time it was named).

Calth:

The initial ground battle against the Word Bearers took place at a city by a valley. (Space Marine, 1989)

Formaska:

"Second moon of Macragge. A barren rock. There is nothing there." (Battle for the Abyss, p. 293)

"The ancient primitives of Macragge thought that Formaska was the eye of a god, and that it was bloodshot with anger.... Sometimes, when the lava fields grew, they thought the eye had opened..." (Battle for the Abyss, p. 326)

Edited by Brother Pariah

A thought on the meaning of aestimare: it might well refer to the estimated value of the tithe. The tithe grade is the approximate percentage, while the aestimare is how much that actually is in a quantity.

i dont have the book any more but the 2nd eddition epic tyranid supplement has extensive background on the battle of macrage if anyone has it includeing the space battle above circie(sorry for bad spellings)

Good idea!

"[Marneus Calgar's] palace of brilliant white marble [was] perched high in rugged mountains above the glittering seas of Hera." (Codex Tyranids, 1995, p. 7)

"Bleak, grey skies." (Codex Tyranids, 1995, p. 8)

"Ringed world of Circe at the edge of the Macragge system." (Codex Tyranids, 1995, p. 8)

Alrighty, I just went and read this.

Castra Magna, the Ultramarines fortess, is located in the center of this (?) continent and was built upon a granite crag surrounded by black, impenetrable, splintered mountain ranges. (US WD 288, p. 112)

The whole article in that WD.

I call shenanigans on the whole Castra Magna thing UNLESS it's an alternate name or a title for the Fortress Hera which I suppose it could be. If it's not though I call shenanigans and declare it to be rubbish and also a pox upon whoever thought that up.

(Sorry, I get a bit odd in my irritation at the mass inconsistencies in recent fluff. Inconsistencies between the really old stuff and the new stuff is understandable.)

Edited by The Emperor's Champion

codex ultramarines-realm of ultramar

espandor was the world the Emperor came into contact with first hearing of the consul of macarage also a referance to the cuture of macarage and surounding systems being similar due to the people of macarage keeping in conatct during the age of strife dispite the loss of ships and crews

Two quick points:

- Castra Magna would basically be Latin for "Big Fort," so it could be another name for Hera. Or the author could have pulled it out of his ear.

- Aestimare means, more or less, "to value, to rate, to esteem, to judge." Think estimate as well as esteem. So it probably does have to do with the Tithe Grade. Remember that Ultramar is the Feudal realm of the Ultramarines so it doesn't have to pay a tithe. That's probably where the D0 (zero) comes in.

Macragge is described as a "blue jewel" (Inferno 44, p. 6)

Macragge orbits "her star." The system seems not to be a binary or trinary or something. (Inferno 44, p. 6)

"THE HALLS OF Marneus Calgar,

Master of the Ultramarines were

set atop the highest peak of the

mountains, amidst the golden domes and

marble-pillared temples of the Fortress of

Hera. Though the day was hot, the air

here was temperate, a fine mist of water

from the rumbling Hera’s Falls sapping

the worst of the heat. A perfectly

symmetrical structure, the Chapter

Master ’s chambers enclosed a central,

sunken courtyard that was open to the

azure sky above." (Inferno 44, p. 9)

• 3 weeks later...
- Aestimare means, more or less, "to value, to rate, to esteem, to judge." Think estimate as well as esteem. So it probably does have to do with the Tithe Grade. Remember that Ultramar is the Feudal realm of the Ultramarines so it doesn't have to pay a tithe. That's probably where the D0 (zero) comes in.

The 5th Edition Rulebook (p.115) states that 'Aestimare' means 'Strategic Value'. There's no explanation of quite what the alphanumeric code means, though.

• 3 weeks later...
"The Battle of Cold Steel Ridge was fought to delay the vast Tyranid swarm as it swept across the frozen northern seas.... The Tyranid swarm was barely slowed, and now nothing stood between it and the northern polar defense fortress..." (Warhammer 40,000 Apocalypse, p. 25 & 32)

"As Roboute and his army approached Macragge City they saw the smoke from fires and hurried to investigate." This appears to have been the capital of Macragge's civilization during the times of the Great Crusade, situated in the inhabited areas south of Illyrium. (Codex Space Marines, 2008, p. 12.)

"The Shrine of Guilliman... lies within the Temple of Correction, a vaulted sepulchre forming a small part of the Ultramarines' vast northern polar fortress." (Codex Space Marines, 2008, p. 15.)

Regarding Quintarn, Tarentus and Masali: "These small planets form a triple world combination orbiting around a command centre of gravity much like the Earth and its moon." Finally... clarity! (Codex Space Marines, 2008, p. 15.)