Realm of Ultramar: Astronomy and Geography

Brother Pariah

I love that Macraggae went from dust oceans to nice blue seas. Not often a world becomes better in the 40K universe...

There's no reason to think there aren't both.... This isn't Star Wars, most planets in 40k have more than one type of biome.

Actually they blatantly don't. 40k is one of the worst examples of 'all worlds have one type' in fiction. At least if you go by the various charts in various Codexes and rulebooks.

-Ss

That's not at all true. The charts are misleading.

Fenris, for example, is a Death World. Everyone thinks of it as a ball of ice, but it's not that simple. Fenris has vast oceans and insane volcanic activity during its summer seasons, and then the insane winters come and freeze the whole planet into a massive iceball.

Catachan, another Deathworld is like a very wild version of Earth if global temperatures were about 20 degrees hotter so that most of the planet is tropical.

Armageddon, a Hive World, has deserts, jungles, oceans, forests, mountains, etc.

Cadia, a Fortress World, is a lot like Earth except for the being massively fortified and having colossal Necron obelisks spaced in a grid across the entire planet.

Forge Worlds and Dead Worlds are perhaps the only worlds that have a single "type". A Forge World is almost entirely a factory. That's the goal. The AdMech tries not to waste any of their space.

Dead Worlds are worlds without weather, atmosphere, life, or notable geological activity. They're basically just huge asteroids.

Tallarn is famous as a desert world, but it's not naturally like that. The Iron Warriors Virus Bombed the hell out of it until there was basically nothing alive. It used to be a Agri-World paradise.

Hive World, Feral World, Feudal World, etc etc are just descriptors of the levels of human society, regardless of the planet's terrain.

Agri Worlds are worlds focused on agriculture. That doesn't mean the whole planet has a single climate or terrain type. Different stuff grows/is raised in different places.

There are some famous worlds with a single terrain type, but the reason they're famous is partially BECAUSE they're unusual, and it causes unusual societies of humans to crop up on them.

I guess your point in listing random worlds was to point out examples of the different planet classifications?

I'm not sure about your last statement - there are plenty of famous examples, you're right. But can you definitely say that they're famous because they're different? Or is that just speculation?

-B

Plus, oceans. Oceans are big, and world spanning. I don't buy that Macraggae has entire oceans of dust as well as normal water.

Why not? Earth has oceans of sand as well as normal water.

Only if you're being poetic. Otherwise it just has oceans and deserts. :P

Plus, oceans. Oceans are big, and world spanning. I don't buy that Macraggae has entire oceans of dust as well as normal water.

Why not? Earth has oceans of sand as well as normal water.

Only if you're being poetic. Otherwise it just has oceans and deserts. :lol:

There are enough instances of deserts, the Sahara in particular, being referred to as the "Sea Of Sand" or "Sea Of Dust".

Conversation over. Its pointless. Stop.

i was thinking something very similar, theres alot of one upmanship arguments in this forum at the moment..

and the worst of it is, alot of the subject matter is irrelevant anyway.

its like arguing who can be the biggest geek.... as M2C says its pointless

now thats established back to scheduled programming

Conversation over. Its pointless. Stop.

No?

Feel free to not read it....

Discussing stuff...it's kinda what we do here.

You're not discussing anything. Your arguing over if a desert is just a sandy ocean... why? Its a bioshpere. You can compare it to anything you want. An ocean of blankets. Does that mean the blankets qualify as an ocean? An emotional desert. Does that mean that it recieves less than a certain amount of rainfall every year or whatever makes something a desert.

You are being obtuse.

So stop.

Everytime I see that little exclamation point I come in here expecting to see some new information of things like forts and garrisons in Ultramar. Not a pointless debate over the meaning of the word desert. Or what can qualify as a desert.

Ok let's cool it guys. Whilst discussion of a desert on Maccragge would fall under the purview of this thread, we have no information to suggest there is a desert here aside from an already mentioned outdated background source, so there is little point discussing it further at this time.

Play nice.

• 3 months later...

Having read Know No Fear, there has been a wealth of information we might find important. Of course, we don't know what changes post Heresy.

Anyway, it seems the planet Konor is a manufacturing world, referred to as a "Forge World" though this could have been artistic liscence.

I will read the book again and this time pick up what information is best for this topic. If anyone beats me to it, feel free to put information up in any of our project topics ;)

• 10 months later...

Been meaning to bring this up but kept getting side tracked! Has anyone noticed how Espandor is described separately to the Ultramar in the recent fluff, notably the rule book?

I try to ignore Lexicanum, but for some reason it's described as destroyed, but generally it's wrong so I disregard it!