Realm of Ultramar: Astronomy and Geography

Brother Pariah

Regarding Quintarn, Tarentus and Masali: "These small planets form a triple world combination orbiting around a command centre of gravity much like the Earth and its moon." Finally... clarity! (Codex Space Marines, 2008, p. 15.)

You call that clarity? That just made it MORE confusing in my book. Luna orbits Terra, they don't orbit each other....so does that mean the three planets are orbiting something else?

I always just assumed they were orbiting the same Lagrange Point as dictated by the combination of their 3 gravity fields and that this whole contraption in turn floated around their sun's orbit.

I mean THAT makes sense to me. I even had it set up in an planetary orbit simulator once by accident, so it seems fairly feasible.

You call that clarity? That just made it MORE confusing in my book. Luna orbits Terra, they don't orbit each other....so does that mean the three planets are orbiting something else?

Luna doesn't orbit around Earth the way that, for instance, the Jovian moons orbit Jupiter. The axis of Luna's revolution lies outside of Terra's surface. It's true. You can look it up. (EDIT: Someone looked it up. It isn't true. :evil:)

I always just assumed they were orbiting the same Lagrange Point as dictated by the combination of their 3 gravity fields and that this whole contraption in turn floated around their sun's orbit.

I mean THAT makes sense to me. I even had it set up in an planetary orbit simulator once by accident, so it seems fairly feasible.

Yes. It was always a bit unclear to me whether there were three stars, each with a planet, or three planets around one star, or what.

ADDITIONAL DATA FOLLOWS:

"Calth's three sister planets were being destroyed by Lorgar's ships, massive geo-nuclear strikes were ripping them apart. Calth's sun was being bombarded with radiation and chemical warheads that were boiling away its surface and threatening to send it supernova." (The Horus Heresy, vol. II: Visions of Darkness, p. 58.)

"Captain Ventanus of the Ultramarines was defending the Palace of Leptius Numinus on Calth from the assault..." (The Horus Heresy, vol. II: Visions of Darkness, p. 59.)

Edited by Brother Pariah

Luna doesn't orbit around Earth the way that, for instance, the Jovian moons orbit Jupiter. The axis of Luna's revolution lies outside of Terra's surface. It's true. You can look it up.

Not, sadly, on Wikipedia, which says "the common centre of mass of the system (the barycentre) is located about 1 700 km beneath the surface of the Earth, or about a quarter of the Earth's radius".

Jupiter, apparently, has a barycentre outside the Sun. God knows what that means. But somehow, I am afraid...

Luna doesn't orbit around Earth the way that, for instance, the Jovian moons orbit Jupiter. The axis of Luna's revolution lies outside of Terra's surface. It's true. You can look it up.

Not, sadly, on Wikipedia, which says "the common centre of mass of the system (the barycentre) is located about 1 700 km beneath the surface of the Earth, or about a quarter of the Earth's radius".

Oops. Once again, I am 100% WRONG!

We probably don't need the "traits discussion" thread stickied anymore.

I don't know how I missed these before.

Espandor

- The western continent is sparsely populated (BFG mag 15, pg 19, 2002)

Iax (BFG mag 15, pg 17, 2002)

- The world has a low population split into small towns dotted amongst farms and parklands

- The only city is the ancient citadel of First Landing. This adamantium fortress is protected by clusters of mega-lasers and a detachment of Ultramarines

- Iax is also famous for the fast, efficient hydroway transport systems that link the market towns to First Landing

Macragge (BFG mag 15, pg 17, 2002)

- The Ultramarines venerate Castra Magna as the heart of their fiefdom and the second most important sacred site in the Imperium after the Holy Throne Room of Terra

- The fortress contains the Ultramarine Headquarters and Primary Monastery; the Ultramarine Admiralty and Primus Signalis are also based here

Talassar

- Much of the population is dispersed among the rocky islands (BFG mag 15, pg 18, 2002)

Triple System (BFG mag 15, pg 18, 2002)

- These are largely desert worlds

- The soil is rich and food is grown in vast farm domes abundantly equipped with water condensers on the roof, which fill capacious underground reservoirs

- Similar domes enclose the cities of the Three Worlds and they are famous for their parks and lush gardens

• 2 weeks later...

The top image has a pretty obvious north-south orientation. I assume that the structures in the bottom image roughly correspond to the inhabited equatorial region, though I suppose that they could have something to do with the "defense grid" or something.

Anyone have any cartographic experience?

I've been rotating the globes this way and that. I think we will be able to make a map that doesn't contradict any of the pictures in a signifigant way. There will probably be a large area that isn't covererd that we can fill in based on the text descriptions from the various books. I'll start a new thread when I have something to present; I'd like to fiddle with the globes a bit more and then create a little presentation highlighting points of agreement between the different versions.

• 3 weeks later...

Top post: updated! Another job well-done, brothers.

EDIT: I just can't stop finding things!

"With the advent of the first, failed hivefleet invasion of Ultramar. Many strange vessels and organisms are still reported especially in the Talassar system. Rumours of a alien nest on one of its moons are still uncollaborated." (The Great Devourer, p. 16)

Edited by Brother Pariah

Mountains Of Twilight - Calth

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a367/Ieyke/CalthMtsOfTwilight.jpg

Palace Of Leptius Numinus - Calth

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a367/Ieyke/CalthPalaceOfLeptiusNuminus.jpg

Proving Grounds - Calth

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a367/Ieyke/CalthProvingGrounds.jpg

Edited by The Emperor's Champion