Realm of Ultramar: Astronomy and Geography

Brother Pariah

Haha, I'm typing in a computer lab and I totally forgot to bring the comic to scan in more images. D'oh!

As requested, this has now been stickied! It was at the expense of the Rules and Policy changes schtick, but we know that all good Ultramarines follow the rules, right? RIGHT?!

Aighty folks, for the record the earlier images are of the Fortress of Hera; it declares it on the first page of the comic, heh. Here're some more pretty colors for your optical sensors:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/veritas117/mod/scan0002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/veritas117/mod/scan0004.jpg

The shrine of the primarch. Ignore (like I did) the overbearing amount of green banners; that was just to keep it relevant to the 4th company for some reason. In the background on the second picture we see images of the primarch fighting various enemies, wielding a sword in one, a spear in another, and a bolter in yet another, for those who ask what weapons he used; the answer is still probably all.

Edited by Seahawk
d'oh!

Yea....all the green banners confused me. I sort of assumed it might be 4th Company remembrance day or something.

While fairly nice I actually have a FAR more elaborate vision of the Temple Of Correction in my head based on the descriptions.

To me this mostly just serves to give it a sense of scale that's sort of hard to work out otherwise.

Edited by The Emperor's Champion

Oh the glass ceiling for sure.

I'm not sure I agree with Guilliman being way up on a platform against a wall at the top of a million stairs.

I'd put him dead center in the chamber, right in the focal point of the hemisphere of glass so that he's permanently showered in light.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Question for Seahawk....

Who publishes those comics? I have seen them at my local GW retailer, but they dont currently have them in stock and seem to have vapor lock of the brain when I ask about them.

Marines can be seconded to a Deathwatch team at the request of an Inquisitor, by a Deathwatch Team captain, or through selection at an Inquisitional fortress (which might explain why Ultramarines are relatively common on Deathwatch teams, as they have an Inquisitional Fortress within Ultramar).

Now that was found in a topic about Blood Ravens. Can/does anyone know about this?

First I have heard of such a fortress and would like a little more detail if possible.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Notable locations on Macragge:

- Sirocco Starport

- The southern Polar Defense Fortress maintains the Davidan Perimeter.

- The Fortress of Angels sits at the heart of the southern Polar Defense Fortress complex.

• 5 weeks later...
Sirocco Starport

- The southern Polar Defense Fortress maintains the Davidan Perimeter.

- The Fortress of Angels sits at the heart of the southern Polar Defense Fortress complex

You dont happen to have anymore detail on those locations do you?

• 1 month later...

New information from the short story Calth's Bane, printed only in WD362!

Calth:

- The surface is cold blue, its every surface icy-looking and devoid of life. The rocks are scoured bare, hot and irrevocably saturated with deadly radiation.

- The Windward Spires is a region of Calth that resembles a forest of sickle-bladed towers of irradiated stone.

- North of the Spires is a vast, radiation-swept plain.

- Radiation winds blow on the surface. Those that come down from the Mountains of Dawn are particularly effective in causing interference in vox-casters and surveyors.

- A grand, gilded-marble arch once spanned the thousand-meter wide opening of Gulliman's Gate, the sharp-sided graben that descended into the planet's crust towards the caverns below the Mountains of Twilight.

(US WD 362, p. 30)

Ultramar:

- The Straits of Halk, a vast stretch of celestial phenomena resembling gas and dust clouds, lie in the galactic northwest of Ultramar. (Battle Missions, 2010, p. 81)

• 1 month later...

Lots of gold in The Chapter's Due:

Unfortunately there is an element of Spoilers in here, though some are unimportant one in particular is. Appropriate measures taken regarding potential spoilers taken below.

Calth has a massive city named Corinth, and has a massive gate barring the way into Calth's underground tunnells named Guilliman's Gate. It was acknowledged that even Perturobo couldn't take the gate easily, which speaks volumes for the planning and abilities of Guilliman and his Ultramarines.

Calth is also said to suffer regular cave ins and eath quakes, whilst the weather is said to change erratically.

There is a hidden temple which the lost Chapter of Ultramarines (6th Chapter) were commenorated in. It has the bodies and wargear of Captain Venatus.

I will look up the exact names of other cities in Ultramar later and post a little more detail.

Oh it is worth noting that Ultramar is said to be lethal to Daemon kind, burning their skin and making life short there. It is not revealed why Daemons struggle to survive on the planets of Ultramar, but then it didn't help the people or Tarentus and Talassar!

Wild speculation time!

Maybe it has something to do with being REALLY far from the Eye Of Terror?

Maybe because the population seems far less prone to the attributes that empower the Chaos Gods than the populations of most other planets it makes it harder for them to maintain a grip there??

Maybe Guilliman's spirit haunts the corresponding area of the Warp and gives the demons a hard time?

Maybe The Astronomican is weak in Ultramar because The Emperor decided to focus on providing a different sort of protection to the area?

Maybe the Inquisition Fortress World found some uber anti-Chaos relic and are keeping it stored there?

Maybe the Warp Shadow from Behemoth & Friends still clings to the area for some reason disrupting the regular Warp?

Maybe there's a bunch of Necron tomb worlds hidden in the area?

I dunno. It's interesting tho.