Realm of Ultramar: Astronomy and Geography

Brother Pariah

Good. I found other maps of Ultramar. They don't even remotely agree with eachother. I'll scan 'em soon.

Right now I'm psyched-up about mapping Macragge itself. I've got my little globes set up. I'll put together a little presentation sharpish. It looks like the globes cover about 2/3 to 3/4 of Macragge's surface, leaving a decent amount of space open to our imaginations. When things are ready, I'll start a new Project (not a Research Project this time) thread.

• 2 weeks later...

"An outpost of the norther polar fortress, Ice Station Hebra guards an entrance to a network of underground tuinnels connecting defense laser silos and power generators." (US WD 231, p. 99)

A canyon, which is the only reasonably safe passage through the mountains, and rocky cliffs, lie to the southeast of Ice Station Hebra. (US WD 231, p. 102-103)

Ice Station Hebra sits next to a river. (US WD 231, p. 106)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

STICKY THIS TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, I was mulling over the combined Holy Roman and Byzantine nature of the Imperial Fists over in different thread and I was making a half sarcastic comment about how if the IF's are Praetorians as a theme, then the Ultramarines must be considered frontier guardsmen as a theme.

(sort of) long story short, I don't think we've ever considered that Ultramar (in addition to being the Imperium's Thermopylae) is the Imperium's Hadrian's Wall. The Ultramarines are waaaaay out on the frontier of the empire inhabiting a fairly good sized defensive chain of systems.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for consideration.

Agreed.

@Brother Pariah and Seahawk: I think we can safely unsticky the "traits" topic now and replace it with this wonderful monstrosity. If you don't I'm just gonna keep bumping it. <_<

Page 6 of "Warriors Of Ultramar"

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a367/Ieyke/DefOfUltramarpg6Macragge.jpg

That's Learchus BTW

Edited by The Emperor's Champion

Dude, scan the rest of the awesomeness in that comic! I have it, but keep getting lazy and I don't want to go to computer labs.

The shrine of the primarch would be a good pic to add in.

Yup. I'm having a hard time deciding if it's like the capital city of Macragge or if it's the Fortress Of Hera or what. That one page is apparently drawn by a different artist than the rest of the comic and seems slightly out of place in the few pages of the comic I saw.

The other handful of pages I saw I disagree with very much (landscape and architecture-wise). The depiction of Macragge as brown with some hills goes against it's usual Alpine-ish description, and the depiction of the Fortress is retarded. It's not a medieval castle with short walls and grey stone sitting in a valley. It's supposed to be a colossal structure of Greco-Roman architectural wonders sitting on the highest mountain tops.

I'm pretty sure saying Macragge equates to Mount Olympus itself would be another good assessment.

Olympus looks like (and I'm betting Macragge in general does too):

http://www.photoseek.com/greece/01GRE-45-27-LitohoroOlympus.jpg

Not:

http://www.scenicreflections.com/ithumbs/Wild%20West.jpg

Are you attaching pictures of real world places to the descriptions? That would be cool and help non-visual's (like me) with imaging it. Also I agree that the Fortress of Hera would be the pinnacle of Architecture. Roman and Greek style merged into one impenetrable keep.

Didn't the Romans often flatten off mountain tops to build their forts on? I think that would make an excellent visual.

Well that was more to illustrate my point of how I disagree with the other few pages of that comic I saw, but gathering together architecture and terrain examples that fit descriptions is a pretty good idea too.

Calth: I declare shenanigans on the very idea of:

Calth's sun was being bombarded with radiation and chemical warheads that were boiling away its surface and threatening to send it supernova.

That's utterly impossible. No radiation or chemical agent would be able to phase a star's life cycle in any significant way, not even a star's OWN radiation. Star's burn through their fuel via nuclear fusion. Chemical agents to impact a star would have to be in quantities rivaling the mass of a good sized planet, and it's likely that that would only ADD fuel to the star. What do they expect radiation to do exactly? Bombard the star with high powered radiation? It's the primary source of high powered radiation. That's like trying to blind the sun with a flashlight.

From a scientific standpoint this has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard in 40k

Calth: I declare shenanigans on the very idea of:
Calth's sun was being bombarded with radiation and chemical warheads that were boiling away its surface and threatening to send it supernova.

That's utterly impossible. No radiation or chemical agent would be able to phase a star's life cycle in any significant way, not even a star's OWN radiation. Star's burn through their fuel via nuclear fusion. Chemical agents to impact a star would have to be in quantities rivaling the mass of a good sized planet, and it's likely that that would only ADD fuel to the star. What do they expect radiation to do exactly? Bombard the star with high powered radiation? It's the primary source of high powered radiation. That's like trying to blind the sun with a flashlight.

From a scientific standpoint this has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard in 40k

Well, obviously that's just the cover story used to keep the innocent Imperial subjects from learning the terrible truth!

By the way, some free time is about to open up for me (I just graduated... again) so hopefully I can update more of the research projects in the near future.