[Artwork] 'Libris Primaris'

Salutations yet again, my watchful brothers!

As usual, I thak you all for the comments and compliments, as well as the critiques and fluff corrections. Even though I cannot reply individually to each, I read them all eagerly and take many notes so I can improve even more in the upcoming images.

As for the usual questions: yes, i will be doing all of the Primarchs, though there's no schedule regarding their appearance or the order of it. I just design and render them when I feel inspired. That's why sometimes you'll see two loyalists in a row, or two traitors, or one and the other. What I DO know is that the series will end with Roboute Guilliman :huh:

Also, I've been pondering the making of a Pre-Heresy Horus. there isn't much artwork of him before the Fall and I think it's be a challenge to portray him in all his Glory.

I'm sorry I took long in coming back to this thread but life has kept me busy and work, busier still. However, in the midst of that Warp, I was able to finally complete my newest addition to this Gallery of heroes and Fallen legends, with a Primarch that has much to do with the Immaterium: Magnus the Red!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/MAGUS.jpg

As I said elsewhere, There was a lot of debating when I came up with my design for Magnus some time ago (Ocullus Rubellum), mainly because I made him bald and with a third eye.

The baldness I've corrected, because it was a fluff inconsistency on my part, but the third eye idea I kept. Why? Because I like to add that bit of my own to these characters and because the hobby community didn't see it coming at all. Everyone pondered and imagined Magnus' single eye as being either cyclopean (that is, just an eye on his forehead), or with a mutation that made one of his regular eyes not be there. None of the ideas convinced me, as they were too grotesque in my opinion. So, I came up with a third eye design; thus, my Magnus is blind in my interpretation and sees only with his third eye, which opens up to the Warp and much, much else (to the dismay of his Chapter!).

I know this vision isn't in-tune with GW canon and the few illustrations of Magnus that have illuminated the character's descrition, but I think it raises some interesting ideas and has certanly spurred some debate over the Navigator's gene and their famous third eye as well.

Most of all, though, the hird eye is a very strong cultural and mythological symbol that I think adds a lot to the mystical essence of this character, whereas a shrunken eye or just a big one would've turned him merely into a monster.

I particularly enjoyed doing all of the egyptian details as well as rendering the backdrop of his homeworld, Prospero, because it is beautifully described as having a marble city in which the Chapter dwelt and I hope I've done it justice. Another good detail, I think, is his expression and the energy blasts of psychic power emanating from his eye and chanelled through his hands... it shows how much raw energy stemmed from him.

All in all, I consider Magnus to stand a bit apart from his brothers, design-wise, but I think it does his essence justice as he was rather odd in the eyes of mankind and even his Father, the God-Emperor.

I hope you enjoy it, as you've done the previous favoured Sons and let me know what you think, as usual.

Next up: Mortarion!

Aerion the Faithful.-

Two ginger primarches?! Blasphemy! :o

Seriously though, your rendition of Magnus is very impressive. Though not quite how I personally envisaged him, it is nonetheless still excellent. I like how you've made his armour seem almost organic, with the eyes on his gloves and teeth-like studs, not to mention the horns... sort've foreshadows what Chaos might have had in mind for him later on! :P

I have to say that my favourite of these guys so far has been Rogal Dorn, he is simply fantastic. So much so that I've been inspired to try and make a be-whiskered Imperial Fists Captain at some point in the future in homage. :P

Consider all of these guys saved into an 'Aerion' folder; I can't wait to see Mortarion! I'm especially looking forward to see how you portray Night Haunter, as the image I've got in my head is some sort of power armoured uber-ghoul, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case... at least while he was a loyalist! :P

Edited by Saint of Steel

Very very nice! I think your artwork captures Magnus well. It also has a sort of benevolence to it (at least in my eyes), as Magnus was, to the bitter end, staunchly loyal to the Emperor. I cannot WAIT for Mortarion! Do my Primarch justice like I know you can. COUNT THE SEVEN!

And Saint... Gingers are the way of the future. SUCCUMB TO OUR WILL!

Edited by DuskRaider

hi everybody im new and im just going to introduce myself. well if thirteen and im hooked on the warhammer story. im a perticular fan of the dark angels. i have been looking around the forums a while before i registered and i have looked at a lot of aerien work and well.... I LOVE IT. i consider myself quite an artist. (nothin compared to you) but ur just amazing. the depict the primarchs just as i imagine them. at the moment my fav is the lion and rogal dorn. i especially enjoy the colour on your work and i wondered if you could get the same effect with letraset promarkers (please reply if i am worthy of such greatness) . i have looked at some other of your primarchs and i can say you have improved alot.

Great work as always. I'm on the side that he should have actual third eye just as you have shown(and not the version with the eyeball simply missing :) )

My only nit pick is that the skin should be a little darker IMHO.

Magnus, Magnus, Magnus... looks great! I would have tinged his skin a bit redder, but I'm no artist. Your interpretation is fantastic. And I believe the armor is a bit too ornate. I always fancied that Imperial armor in the crusade era had a more historical feel covering up the modern tech, and I guess I just liked that more. Excellent work as always. Vulkan, pretty please?

Wow. Just wow. Interresting design, but a bit a weird. However, my only complain is the skin and trait. I pictured him more...arabian. There where no arabian-ish Primarch to my knowledge.

Anyway, I always pictured Magnus as beign this huge, grotesque and just plain monstruous giant who was deep inside *ahem* nerd. What I mean is that with the whole "sorceror" thing around Magnus, he give the impression of beign a bit of a bookworm. This is a bit ironic considering he's always described as a "giant". He's the nerdy Primarch. ^_^

The egyptian details are superb. Also, I noticed that beside your "corrupted" Horus, he was the most chaotic-looking Primarch. You can see the warped details on the armor. Overall, every single detail is a nice touch.

Any converted model made to look like your artwork would be truly amazing. As I can see, your "Dorn mustache" was really popular.

Edited by Skritz

Aerion, this is the first picture of Magnus I have ever enjoyed. Most of them (looking at you, Collected Visions) show him as this huge, wrathful ogre with no hint of intelligence or sorcery about him. Thank you for conquering the stereotype and creating another great Primarch painting.

Dear brothers...

I want to thank you all, as usual, for your compliments, encouragement and praise. It's great to see I'm always able to do better with each passing image and have you find new details to look at.

I can't, as I've said, go into all of the comments one by one, but I do want to address some general thoughts that have arised: First off, the third eye idea and the whole 'monstrous' look for Magnus. I'm glad that many of you have come to like and see this rendition as another possibility within the boundaries of the freedom the fluff (and the community!) allows me to take with these characters. I honestly never thought of Magnus as being hideous, or grotesque, but rather odd. And on top of that, I always imagined he'd inspire a lot of awe into mortals. Almost as much as The Emperor, because of his tremendous psychic aura. Thus, I wanted to play on that mystical front much more than on the mutation/castaway/freak side of him we usually see portrayed.

His skin is said to have been copper, but there was a slight problem with using that colour, which is: I had so many hues of red already going on in this picture, that adding a copper skin would've made Manus lose his face in a mess of colours. Plus, it would've, most liely, ended up similar in tone to the gemstones (albeit darker), which would've added yet ANOTHER layer of confusion. To me, a character's face is his most important trait, and I didn't want to rob our Primarch here of that.

Finally, I'd like to address @dark warmaster's great praise and say that yes, anyone is worthy of my 'greatness'. I actually consider myself an average artist on his way to becoming a better illustrator, so compliments like that truly humble me. I don't know the Letraset markers, but I'm quite sure you can obtain good results with almost any tool, given time and practice. My technique has improved a lot since my early days and it keeps on moving forward, so I expect anyone with passion (like yu seem to have) can achieve a good skill given the proper time; it's not the tool, but the hand that wields it.

Mortarion will be making an appearance as soon as I'm done with a couple of commitments I can't avoid. I'll be here still if you have anymore questions or comments, so ask away!

THANK YOU!

Aerion.-

Absolutely fantastic! My favourite representations of the primarchs. really captures so much about them and their legions and brings them to life. Particularly like your representation of Magnus. Though for some reason the third eye looks like it's just decoration and that he's using his other two eyes. Maybe something to do with the no eyelid, staring straight ahead... Other than that, it's faultless.

Personally can't wait to see what you do with Corax as I'm tempted to start Raven Guard.

His skin is said to have been copper, but there was a slight problem with using that colour, which is: I had so many hues of red already going on in this picture, that adding a copper skin would've made Manus lose his face in a mess of colours. Plus, it would've, most liely, ended up similar in tone to the gemstones (albeit darker), which would've added yet ANOTHER layer of confusion. To me, a character's face is his most important trait, and I didn't want to rob our Primarch here of that.

That makes sense to me.