Word Bearers' XXXth Host

CavPathfinder

cloven,but remeber split hoofed animals can't swim so be carful of terain.
to be honest if your wearing that much armour you would sink to the bottom regardless of hoove shape.

i think cloven, they look more detailed.

The members of the XXXth Host undergo a rigorous water safety qualification test annually. (And he's ranger qualified). He's good-to-go.

just laughed out loud :rolleyes:

i think nurgle would be good for armour, its more representitive of the god. it would take a lot of changing though.

Why not use artificer, or deamon armor from the dark mechanicus. that would leave you with a little more wiggle room for conversions without making bad ass armor look nurgle-y and without loosing sleep over nurgle giving him bad ass armor that's not bloated and festering.

once you accept gifts from nurgle they kind of ruin your appearance.

I think we'll worry about who gifted what later. Maybe I'll do a poll for each Chaos God.

in the meantime, I put in the preliminary work on the core area.

gallery_48083_3991_48831.jpg

gallery_48083_3991_718861.jpg

gallery_48083_3991_28822.jpg

gallery_48083_3991_109.jpg

gallery_48083_3991_211777.jpg

P.S.

Whadaya know, as soon as I get the guy 75% blu-tac'ed together, My camera battery died on me. And I'm waiting on the cables to come from the main land. It may be a while till I get some more photos up.

Next up is a little Green Stuff work.

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

Sorry for such a long pause. It's been a combination of equipment malfunction (the camera), work (I finally had to get back to work), and enjoying Hawaii.

I'm also going to be converting this thread to encompass my entire army, rather than just the Dark Apostle.

work on this fella has been slow, but I'm pleased with the results so far.

I've filled in the core area here:

gallery_48083_3991_511986.jpg

gallery_48083_3991_707590.jpg

gallery_48083_3991_384028.jpg

And, as I had mentioned earlier I wanted to change the grieves up a bit: so here goes

gallery_48083_3991_197594.jpg

gallery_48083_3991_305209.jpg

gallery_48083_3991_250281.jpg

gallery_48083_3991_269562.jpg

The head is just Blu-tac'd on right now. More on that later.

So, wadda ya think?

Hope you enjoy!

Just read this thread from start to finish and OH MY GODS OF CHAOS THAT IS SWEET!!!

That has to be some of the best green stuff flames(?) I have ever had the unholy grace to lay eyes upon! How where they done?

On the torso front I think it only needs bulked up a bit, he look like he has gone anorexic to please Slaanesh!

Can't wait to see the finished army if they will look even half as good as this guy.

I think I may have gone over the top with the Chaos Gods references here...

Here's a look at one of the things that has been distracting me from the Dark Apostle

My 1st Squad collage

gallery_48083_4318_555397.png

the whole squad

gallery_48083_4318_53479.jpg

a few of the guys

gallery_48083_4318_469665.jpg

size comparison

gallery_48083_4318_423767.jpg

Standard "Lorgar Pattern" Bolter

gallery_48083_4318_508220.jpg

two CSMs that show - What You See Is What You Get

gallery_48083_4318_14178.jpg

some of the fellas

gallery_48083_4318_449285.jpggallery_48083_4318_284988.jpggallery_48083_4318_214645.jpggallery_48083_4318_204850.jpggallery_48083_4318_74801.jpggallery_48083_4318_217517.jpg

and a taste of things to come

gallery_48083_4318_220466.jpg

this should look pretty scary when it's all painted... so many horns!

Where did you get so many of the same bits?!

What are your plans with all those scrolls? (I assume they are :)) Is there a way you can bend them or will you add green stuff to them? I think they might ruin an otherwise awesome unit if they stay in a 'static' form like this...

That is off course assuming they ARE scrolls?

(Do you have plasticard with grooves in them? Those boot-soles must have taken ages to file down :D )

*subscribing*

That is sweet. But i'm thinking you need to shorten his torso or lengthen his legs. Also i'd shorten the neck as well unless you are planning to make a gorget.

Drudge Dreadnought - both legs are bent, the left ever so slightly. I think if they were straight it'd show the proper proportion better. As I finish the legs up they'll get covered up with tabards and capes, which will hide them.

Just read this thread from start to finish and OH MY GODS OF CHAOS THAT IS SWEET!!!

That has to be some of the best green stuff flames(?) I have ever had the unholy grace to lay eyes upon! How where they done?

On the torso front I think it only needs bulked up a bit, he look like he has gone anorexic to please Slaanesh!

Can't wait to see the finished army if they will look even half as good as this guy.

I think I may have gone over the top with the Chaos Gods references here...

S. Bloodhowl - I wanted to try my hand a modeling some "Roman" style armor with the abdominals. I think as I add a few more details the abs will start to melt into the background.

good to see you back chugging away. I like the current rendition. I think they need horns though :tu:

Dan - Initially I had planned to put horns on the grieve faces, It just looked too busy.

this should look pretty scary when it's all painted... so many horns!

Where did you get so many of the same bits?!

What are your plans with all those scrolls? (I assume they are :)) Is there a way you can bend them or will you add green stuff to them? I think they might ruin an otherwise awesome unit if they stay in a 'static' form like this...

That is off course assuming they ARE scrolls?

(Do you have plasticard with grooves in them? Those boot-soles must have taken ages to file down :D )

*subscribing*

Deathwing70 - as far as having so many of the same bits - a whole lot of bits ordering, and trading.

Scrolls / litanies of HATE - yeah they would look a lot better with some motion in them. Their static appearance is a combination of laziness and the thickness of those particular bits (I'll probably go back and bend 'em up a bit).

Plati-card with groves - yep straight from the factory like that. I'm sure I'd have lost my mind filing that.

Here's another of my distractions, my Chaos Cavalry

gallery_48083_4320_99992.jpg

Chaos Cavalry Album link -

Enjoy

Super dig the weapon custimation you have going on here. Something you might try with your litanies, cut a really long piece of plasticard (think 4-5" long single piece), hold one end with some pliers to keep your hand safe and hold a lighter about 1 1/2- 2"s away. It's super fast and you get great random twists and turns, then you cut the best dynamic parts to fit the model. Playing with fire is fun at the very least. Keep up the great work.

Your plasticard work is Good. the cyborg eyes the little detail work you've added on the weapons is just great.. But for the loin clothes and banners you should really roll out some greenstuff on a wet flat surface and cut your shapes from that.. Or at least heat up your plasticard and give it a little bend to get a more free flowing look to it..

Cause for me thats the only thing letting these masterful conversion down.

Nice Greenstuff work on your Dark Apostle btw.. Those shin guards Great!!

Absolutely incredible conversions in this thread :D it's all so inspired I don't think I can pick out a single piece.

Between this thread and Dan the Daemon's, the bar hasn't so muchbeen raised out of sight, but simply teleported in to some distant orbit, in a galaxy far away :cool:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

nuff said

*edit* I had to loose some smileys because it came up with this, lol:

You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message

Firestorm, Cavpathfinder and I used to game at the same store in Tennessee (When i say game i mostly mean show up every weekend and compare the past weeks work, but we did get some games in :D) His army is what motivated me to start putting more work and effort into my models than kitbashing arms and legs. If you look at my first post in my blog The Word Bearers that impressed me so much were his.

He does have a very distinct style of modeling. Where i try to ground my marines in reality and practicality, he throws it all out the window and makes a ten thousand year old Superman look like what he's supposed to.

Those are wonderful. They have a certain 'proper' bad guy aura about them, reminiscent of older fantasy settings. I'm a huge fan. The boltguns are probably my favourite part, there's not a lot of custom weaponry out there beyond big swords.

OK, here's my take on the Obliterator.

I wanted him to have an Adeptus Mechanicus feel.

I wanted the weapons to look like they were being formed/grown via a techno-organic-daemonic virus thingy.

The cloth around the lower body is gauss. I'm getting tired of green stuff and wanted to experiment with something different. Still haven't made up my mind yet. I have a test model that I added super glue to the gauss and it made it rock hard. decisions, decisions.

Keep in mind:

He's just blu-tac'd together right now.

And the cabling/tubing for the Plasma Cannon still needs to be added and green stuffed into the lower back.

I'm also considering adding more plasti-card Chaosy star spike stuff.

gallery_48083_4319_764525.jpg

gallery_48083_4319_188596.jpg

gallery_48083_4319_230977.jpg

gallery_48083_4319_860341.jpg

gallery_48083_4319_171648.jpg

gallery_48083_4319_609691.jpg

the Claw Mechadendrite arm

gallery_48083_4319_440542.jpg

Plasma Cannon

gallery_48083_4319_204716.jpg

chain saw Mechadendrite arm

gallery_48083_4319_164763.jpg