More Tales from the Fang

Warhorse47

Rokk turned to the other Ogryn and said"We go wid Jest'r". The Wolves were surprised by this and asked their new found ally why. "Our squad alone. All others gone. Bugs ate em" Realizing they were the only survivors of one of the first units to hit planetside when the nids arrived, Vassakov told them to load up and come with the wolves until they could figure out what to do with them. This led to a new discovery.

"Rokk, you guys ride in that Rhino."

"We can't. "

"Sure, you can you'll fit."

"It's dark"

"We will turn on a light"

""Mort don't like"

"Who's Mort"

"Me Mort"

"Okay, Mort, you want lunch?"

"Lunch in rhino?"

"No, but we have to ride in the rhino to get to lunch."

This was finally solved by opening up the top hatch on the rhino, and the three ogryn piled in with Jester and Jonas. As they arrived back at base, the rest of the pack gathered around to hear the rest of the story and see the Ogryn trio. As they fed them lunch, Ragnarok and Bjeorn tried to figure out what to do with them, as their unit being listed as destroyed, had them in an Imperial limbo. Hidden Wolf showed up, bearing 2 ripper guns and ammo for them to replace their missing weapons and as usual didn't bother to explain where they came from or how he got them. The ogryn were happy and saying "Our Pack now" to any wolf who was nearby and following Jester around like a pack of giant puppies. Inga, Bjeorn's wolf was happy to wrestle and play with someone as big as she was and was playing fetch with them and a bogey wheel from a wrecked land raider. Tarps became blankets for them as the Wolves tried to figure out what to do with them and the next morning things became more complicated by the arrival of an Imperial Commissar named Travis.

The tall, hatchet faced Commissar swung his leg off the battle cycle and took off a Cadian styled helmet. Placing his hat on his head, he looked over and asked "Where can I find Battle Leader Ragnarok? "

"Right here, what can I do for you?"

"Got any decent coffee around here? It's been a long ride."

Looking over the man's well worn chainsword and equipment, the Wolves realized this was a man who had been in the fight for a while. Irlin handed him a large mug of coffee, measuring him.

"Thanks, your unit has a good reputation for winning hard fights. Understand you inherited some stay ogryn too."

"We owe them an honor debt, they rescued one of us."

"Honor is important to you Wolves, I know.....sometimes it's all any of us have left."

"You seem a little different from some Commissars we've dealt with over the years."

"That's why they sent me to you. I am a little unorthodox sometimes. But I generally get along well with the guys who get given the dirty jobs, but get the job done anyway."

"And that's the other reason I've been sent here. We've been given a VERY dirty job to do...."

Unfolding a map marked Restricted, Travis laid it open. "Here's the problem, this cache here holds a huge amount of munitions and sensitive equipment. Some genius at HQ didn't bother to empty or destroy it in time and now the 'nids and Chaos forces sre both almost there. We don't care if the 'nids found it, they wouldn't know what to do with the stuff. But if the Chaos force gets there first...." he let the idea sink in to all around him. Rokk said "That bad?" and Jester said "Yeah, real bad."

Ragnarok looked at Hidden Wolf and Growler "Can you two get close in a couple of hours to give us intel?" Both nodded and Growler said "Give us 2 hours and we will set up for you with some missile cover too." Wolf just smiled coldly.

"Alright, load out for demolitions work. 'Horse, Jonas and Jester you will take the Commissar, Rokk and the boys in Schert's Razor, put the boys on top so they are okay." This got a big grin from Mort. Bjeorn, Irlin and Beef with me in the Land Raider. Vass, you and Mikal take the rest of the pack in Rhino 5. Once we get the charges placed, get your butts out of there and grab the scouts on your way out."

2 hours later as they prepared to load up Mort let out a huge, Ogryn sized belch. "Mort likes Wolfwhiz, likes this pack." Ragnarok glared at Warhorse and asked "What were you thinking, giving Ogryns ale right before we leave?" "You want to try to stop them from having a belt? Be my guest." "Uh, yeah, I think I see your point." Rokk, Mort and Chon all climbed on top of the Razorback, which swayed alarmingly as they all tried to sit on the same side. After evening out the load, the little convoy took off for the cache and a collision with the enemy which would cost them all dearly.

Travis gunned the engine on his Harley-Messerschmidt cycle as he led the way towards the cache, but here was an eerie howl in the wind as they progressed. Vrox looked over and realized that it was coming from one of the Ogryn. "What is he doing?" he yelled. "Chon like to whistle." was the answer. "sounds more like an incoming ork fightabomba" muttered Decoy. Looking up at the roiling clouds quickly gathering overhead, he thought to himself Looks like a Kraken sea back home." Suddenly a bush jumped up and landed on the top of the Land Raider. Shaking the leaves off, Growler told Ragnarok "we are still clear, Hidden Wolf is checking the other 2 entrances now."

Arriving at the bunker port, Travis quickly entered the access code and the door slid open silently to reveal a huge storage bay. "allright, you all know your jobs. Plant those explosives and let's roll." Schert's Razorback took off to the left, the Rhino with Vassakov's team in the middle and Ragnarok and the Land Raider took the right.

The Ogryn grabbed the heavy explosive charges and trotted aftr Jester as he and Jonas started placing them next to an imposing stack of artillery shells, while Travis and Warhorse stood cover. "We've got company coming" buzzed in their comm beads as Hidden Wolf calmly continued, "a big bunch of mutants from one direction and bugs from the other. Our route back out the way we came in is still clear for now." "Hurry up and get in here for our break out and the rest of you, quit scratching yourselves and get this done." was the only comment from Ragnarok.

With a malicious crackle and the stink of ozone, six figures in ancient battle armor suddenly appeared in the entryway of the bunker. With a casual gesture one of them threw a blast of power that sent Travis hurtling out of sight and launched Warhorse into a support beam, dropping him unconscious to the ground. Before Jonas, Jester or Schert could open fire the Ogryn charged the intruders, their ripper guns seemingly having no effect upon the black clad warriors who calmly opened fire on the charging Ogryn. Showing the legendary loyalty, bravery and toughness they were known for the Ogryn crashed into the Chaos Marines. Using their ripper guns as they were taught, the ogryn actually sent one of the traitorsdown before Mort fell. Ignoring hideous wounds Chon and Rokk literally tore another in half before Chon fell, his mighty chest torn open by an ancient chain sword. Finally Rokk staggered back, collapsing as the Wolves slashed into themJester drove into the Chaos veteran who had dropped Rokk like an avenging angel, his foe's greeater experieince failing before the young Wolf's rage. Schertenlieb jumping on the back of another and shoving a krak grenade into the gap between his backpack and armor, then pulling the pin as he leapt free. Jonas' chain axe catching his opponent's blade, he smashed an armored gauntlet into the throat of the last one. "Enough!" bellowed the black clad mage as he once again drew a staff with a winged sword emblem back to cast another spell. It was not tobe however as suddenly a gaping hole appeared in his chest, the size of a Space Wolf's fist. As he collapsed, they saw Travis standing there with Warhorse's meltagun in his hands. Blood streaming down his face, he said "Let's finish this boys." Suddenly more firing was heard from the right side of the cavern as mutants tried to force their way in. A missile flashed from a pile of debris, blowing the doorway shut and allowing the remaining Wolves to quickly end the threat from that direction. Hidden Wolf helped drag Warhorse into the Razorback and then get the wounded Rokk on top of Daniel. Bjeorn climbed up with them as they raced out of the tunnel to tend to Rokk. He sadly looked at Raganarok and Jester and slowly shook his head. Ragnarok looked at Rokk and said, "Would you like to make a big boom?" Rokk grinned and said "I like that." Jester held the detonator and Rokk pushed the button, making him smile as they ground shook from the explosion sending Tyranid and Mutant parts flying as burning debris over a huge area. Rokk looked at Jester one last time and quietly said "My Pack" before he closed his great eyes and slept.

The young Blood Claw pack sat quiet now as Warhorse finished his tale. Then the older Wolves stood and raised their tankards to a ripper gun hanging on the wall and said "To Rokk".

• 3 weeks later...

The elder Wolf Priest Bjeorn slowly shook his head in frustration. The pack of Blood Claws were as wild as any he had ever seen, brave and bold as Wolves should be, but unfettered they would get themselves slaughtered before they could mature enough to stay alive.Well, that is why they were with him. As the pack and he climbed aboard the Crusader, Inga leaped on top where she liked to ride. "Alright, when we get close enough, I will give the word to attack. Use you pistols as we close, you might accidentally hit something anyway." He looked at Horst and Dakai, both of whom had deliberately placed themselves last getting on, so they would be the first off, and said "Keep low, so you don't get shot by your brothers." "Yeah Vassakov and Beef are both lousy shots." This led to the usual argument starting over who owed who an ale when they got back and nearly drowned out the ability to hear any comm chatter. "ENOUGH, I cannot hear myself think!" roared Bjeorn. As quiet came again, he told them, "Remember, the Dark Eldar we will be facing are experienced warriors and have excellent weapons, keep forcing them and stay in close once we hit them." The Raider suddenly lurched from weapon impacts and the Wolves readied themselves as the great war machine returned fire at it's enemies.

Suddenly a gaping rent was torn in the side and ended the lives of three of the young Claws. As Bjeorn hit the release for the rest to get out, he could hear the Xenos yelling in anger and expecting a quick victory. As Bjeorn triggered the hull grenades, he could hear their laughter change to cursing and the first 2 Claws charged headlong into their foes as the rest followed hard after them. Bjeorn's centuries of experience guiding him, he gave rapid fire orders to the Claws on where to force the attacks against the raiders. "Under his aromr there, Vasss, watch behind you, Horst," His orders sure as he guided his youngsters, he was still having to guide them and prepare them even as he saw more Eldar approaching. Knowing time was short he struck as well, realizing they had to finish this group off before the other struck them.

Suddenly lightning struck the second force and accurate bolter fire along with the missiles of Long Fangs heralded the arrival of Mikal Wolfheart and Pack Deathbringer, led by by a young Wolf named Ragnarok. As the Gray Hunters closed the xenos, recognizing the threat the hardened veterans presented, turned to face them, exposing their flank to the Blood Claws, who were still thirsting for vengeance. As Horst and Dakai, lowered their heads, Bjeorn realized too late, they were already leading the charge against the Eldar. Caught between the experience and cold blooded efficiency of the Gray Hunters and the desire for vengeance of the Blood Claws the Eldar were quickly ripped apart, the fighting stretching from the top of the felled Land Raider across to the decks of the Dark Eldar Raider.

Seeing Horst pull his shattered helmet off and looking at the craters torn in Dakai's armor, Bjeorn looked over his charges. "today, you learned what it means to be Space Wolves. You have defende the Imperium and it's peoples, you have tasted battle and lost brothers. This is our lot, mark it well and let it steel your souls for the wars to come. You Dakai, I now call Decoy, as you led an assault that tipped the attack open for other brothers, you will be trained with close weapons when we return." "He would b e good with Wolf Claws." observed Mikal. "Aye, good call my brother." agreed Bjeorn, "...and you, Horst, were a regular Warhorse today, but you need to learn to keep your head down...."

"Don't blame me. weather is the property of the Rune Priests, I do tech, remember." The newly returned Firenze told Bjeorn. "Aye, but I doubt even Njal himself could have shoved two drop pods 40 kilometers off course. I would Imagine it was those torpedoes we heard incoming just before we launched." "Yes but we satill have to get where we need to go and by the sounds of what we can pick up over the comms, we are on our own to do that." was the Gray Mage's comment, then continuing he said "At least it's good weather for us." Looking about them, the blizzard was still rolling at full force as an occasional break gave the view of the valley they had to descend to join up with the rest of the Wolves. As the others were searching the abandoned factorum for transport, Decoy yelled out "I've found our answer!"

After he outlined his plan and the others stopped laughing, Decoy challenged "Okay, why won't it work? We all used these as kids on Fenris, didn't we?" "I don't know, did they have snow when Bjeorn was a kid?" About that time there was a yell as Warhorse went flying downslope on a satellite dish "Hey it works!" as he rocketed out of sight towards the valley below. The others quickly grabbed more of the huge dishes, with Bjeorn grabbing one large enough for him and Inga and took off after Warhorse. As they flew down the valley, they all recalled their childhoods of riding their father's shields in the snow and quickly remembered the old skill of guiding them using body english and feet to steer them. Inga kept Bjeorn busy as she kept switching sides and throwing them off course, at one time leaping free herself before Bjeorn launched into the scrub line. She the hopped back on with a "That was fun" look, As they stopped to check their maps and carry the sleds to the top of the next ridge they began receiving comm traffic about the traitor Guard units that were causing all the trouble here.

"Chronus 6, what is your ETA to Millisford?"

"Ultra base, ETA one hour, what is situation there?"

"Situation critical, one platoon of loyal Guard is trying to hold back a reinforced company of the traitors. The traitors have mined the exit route and blown the passenger bridge, trapping two to three thousand civilians in the center park area. The traitor Guard is estimated at 45 minutes away from the park."

"Command, we will make our best time there, but the weather and terrain are slowing us down. Tell them to hold on."

As the Wolves listened to this death sentence, they studied the terrain, "I think we can make it there in time." said Ragnarok.

"Ultra base, this is Space Wolf Ragnarok, do you copy?"

"This is Ultra Base, go ahead Space Wolf."

"Tell your forces that we think we can get to them in time with our pack. Make sure they don't shoot us as we go past them."

As the Wolves launched themselves once again, all joy was forgotten as they now left their own safety behind. Knowing they had the barest of margins of time, they hung on and skirted disaster with every heartbeat. Suddenly breaking into the cleared area nearing the beleaguered town, they saw the Ultramarine Rhinos, Razorbacks, Predators and even a Vindicator struggling through the deep powdery snow. Literally zipping through the formation they heard the comms come to life.

"Watch out Ultras, coming through!"

"Hold your fire Ultras, those are Space Wolves."

"He's got a giant dog on that thing!"

"Cut the chatter Red Three."

"Space Wolf leader, Chronus 6 here. Our auspexes show that the Traitors have at least ten, repeat ten, Chimeras closing on the square. Fight well, we will be there with you as quickly as we can."

"Thanks Chronus, we'll be waiting for you, Good Hunting!"

As their speed continued to increase the Wolves began to see the outline of the approaching town. They could see what had been a beautiful alpine village below them, now wreathed in smoke and fear, instead of the peace they deserved. The Park, clearly visible in the center of town was clearly packed with people, desperately trying to get their families to safety and surrounded by a thin ring of loyal troopers. Also visible were Chimeras, driven by traitors and loaded with betrayal, and Sentinels swinging around to encircle the refugees. "Alright, looks like we have 4 Chimeras coming around towards us. We take them out first and the Sentinels, then any troops that have grounded. Have your grenades ready, Firenze, you ready to break in that fancy new armor and Thunder Hammer?" There was a deadly coldness in his response, "Oh yeah, I've got something special for them today..."

The Chimeras and Sentinels had slowed down as they came into view of the trapped civilians, savoring the terror they were causing. As they stopped and took up precise firing positions the Wolves suddenly came flying over the drifts to catch them from behind. As the Chimeras dropped their ramps to unload, the same idea dawned upon Vrox, Decoy and Jester. Riding their sleds straight into the crowded transports they fell upon the enemies without warning. Jester's twin bolt pistols roaring, Vrox just using his chainsword and training and Decoy with his Wolf Claws wreaked a bloody toll in the confined spaces. Inga's howl announced her and Bjeorn's arrival in the middle of their Command Squad while Warhorse went right between the legs of a Sentinel and calmly blasted it's belly with Melta fire as he went through. The rest of the Wolves slammed into the off loaded troops in a bloody onslaught that suddenly saw Ragnarok thrown to the side by the blow from a Enginseer's Powerhammer. Preparing to smash through the Wolf Guard's Terminator armor, he looked up to see Firenze leaping at him. "Mechanicus Brother!" he yelled as Firenze roared back, "Brother this!" and struck him full in the chest so hard his Thunderhammer crushed through armor, arm pack and tore the tread off the last of the Chimeras before it stopped. Suddenly one of the Chimeras opened fire on the crippled one and then a second joined in as Jester and Vrox seized the controls. Decoy yelled for Schertenlieb to get in there with him as he could not man the controls with his claws. As a Sentinel crashed to the ground from Beef taking it's legs out, the last one retreated to miraculously escape the fire from the captured Chimeras. As the loyalist platoon realized that help had arrived, they charged forward themselves with bayonets fixed and helped to finish off the traitor squads that had moments earlier been preparing to slaughter their charges.

"Get these people under shelter." Bjeorn bellowed out to the young Guard Lieutenant. "Yessir, what else should we do?" he nervously asked. Looking at the young man, half frozen and stammering from the cold, Bjeorn softened his voice, "Grab those heavy weapons and prepare to turn them on their former owners, and detail some men who can shoot and drive to take those Chimeras. We have more help coming, now we will make our enemies pay for their treachery with the kind of coin Space Wolves demand."

"Lieutenant, where is your coat?" The young Guardsman turned around to find himself staring into the chest of a suit of Terminator armor. Looking up, he replied "I gave it to a mother with two children, sir." Ragnarok grimaced, then smiled at this. Schertenlieb then tossed a blanket to him from the Chimera's hatch. "Use that LT, we might just need you." Ragnarok asked "What is your name and unit?" "Torquemada sir, 17th Regiment, 2nd Battalion." "Okay, get your troops dug in and pass out the seized lasrifles to any civilians that have experience. Put some of your non coms with those people. Warhorse, take the heavy weapons teams and get them ready. 'Horse....okay, where is he?" "Oh, this does not look good..." They all stared at the trail left by the sled and realized it led straight into the path of the oncoming traitors. Suddenly Decoy hissed "Quiet" as he, Beef, Vrox and Vassakov suddenly began fiddling with their comm links. Suddenly Beef smiled "He's under cover.....says there's three Leman Russ tanks with them....and he'll give us a signal when they start to move." "How do you know this?" "It's an old trick we picked up using dots and dashes to communicate. An ancient Terran system, it usually gets ignored." All of a sudden a welcome voice was heard over the regular comm, "Wolf Ragnarok, Chronus 6 here. We will be coming in from your right in about 5 minutes. Judging from the smoke, looks like you did well."

"Thanks Chronus 6, we just got word that they have three Leman Russ tanks with them."

"Thanks for the info, they will become our primary targets then. Any idea how close they are?"

"Not exactly, but we have word that we will get a signal when they begin their assault."

"What kind of signal?"

As if in answer to that question, a shattering explosion was heard, quickly followed by another.

"I like your idea of a signal!"

A snow mobile, nearly hidden under the power armor of a space marine, came rocketing into view, desperately slewing to try to throw the aim of his pursuers off. Small arms fire ricocheted of the armor, but the snowmobile was not so protected, disintegrating under the storm of fire. As Warhorse began to run through the snow, Irlin the Gray Mage cast a storm to cover his brother. Looking past, they saw the traitors charging in his wake, firing blindly into the storm in an attempt to cut down the Gray Hunter who had hurt them.

Archived