Kythnos' Iron Warriors

Kythnos

+++ ETL Update 3 +++

My bunch of ETL miniatures: 5 Plague Marines (including 1 Plasma Gun and a Power Fist on the champion) as well as 5 Chaos Terminators (including 4 Combi Plasmaguns [1 of those on the champion], 1 Chainfist and 1 Heavy Flamer) :)

gallery_43993_7905_28569.jpg

After failing the ETL by a few hours, I started to work on some kitbash Mutilators. The Terminator and Possessed bits work great together with some cutting and I think they look far more intimidating than the stupid looking flesh blobs that GW produces. There's still some need for a few patches of green stuff mutations, but the basic shape is there :)

gallery_43993_7905_26000.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_30622.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_34211.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_22195.jpg

I had some spare time to do the basing on the miniatures that I submitted to the ETL. Thus, they're completely finished now and can claim their rightful place on the shelf between their battle brothers. First the Terminators, who already had their first kills yesterday in a Killteam game against my girlfriend's Orks :devil:

gallery_43993_7905_106128.jpg

The second unit consists of 7 Plague Marines. I decided to represent them by mutations and bionics to replace those mutations that got out of hand, to make my own Iron Warrior version of them. The bionic bits come from puppetswar.eu, while I got the shoulder pads from kromlech.eu.

gallery_43993_7905_9863.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_70976.jpg

I hope you like them!

Now, before I leave for the Netherlands to study there for 4 months, I hope to be able to build and paint my Warpsmith model, which has been lying around in my "to build and paint"-box since February :biggrin.:

• 1 month later...

I just noticed, I didn't post my finished Warpsmith and another Chaos Lord that I finished before coming to the Netherlands a few weeks ago. So here they are, in all their unholy glory! Lightning might not be ideal, but I'm a few hundred kilometers away from them now, so there's no chance to take another picture for the time beeing.

I hope you like them :)

gallery_43993_7905_21147.jpg

Warsmith Nerossos, the Cursed Seeker, Master of the Arkanum

gallery_43993_7905_8850.jpg

Warpsmith Xepheus, Architect of Devastation, Lord of the Forge of Tormented Souls

• 3 months later...

With the Cypher boom these days I also went about painting my old model of him and just finished the miniature yesterday. I went for the darker pre-heresy colours with a few notches to the modern Dark Angels colour choices with the red weapons and the green edge on the shoulder pads. He looks a bit glossy in some spots, due to me not shaking the ink properly after not using it for a while, but I'll correct that at a different point in time, as my Mutilators (see the pictures further up) are waiting for some paint now.

gallery_43993_7905_35782.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_21112.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_24677.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So two weeks since the last post already, but at least I got something done. I finally painted my Mutilators, which I had kitbashed last summer from Possessed and Terminator bits. I also used them as a small exercise for trying out the new blood effect paint from GW, as well as designing something resembling cobble stones on the bases. They turned out really well in my opinion and I hope you guys like them as well. Any feedback is appreciated!

gallery_43993_7905_30827.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_60331.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_52949.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_52110.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_30412.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_2046.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_57767.jpg

In addition, I also started to build my own Dark Apostle from the DV Chosen champion. I think most of this conversion follows similar ideas and models that have been floating around for some time now (book, change of mace head), but I'm especially fond of my choice of his helmet, which comes from the chaos bikers. I think it's a nice chaos-y skull mask that fits really well with the IW skull emblem and seems pretty appropriate for a Keeper of the Iron Litany :devil:

gallery_43993_7905_16321.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update time again! I didn't get any painting done, but instead used the time since the last update to repair my Be'lakor model and put him on a 60mm base to get him ready for some paint. I also worked on de-imperializing my Aegis line and on making it more chaos-y instead. So lots of spikes and other chaos bits, like the Defiler's reaper autocannon for the defense emplacement and a screaming horror mask on the comms relay. My favourite though, is the encaged skeleton on the top antenna of the comms relay, which is supposed to be a powerful imperial astropath, whose soul is still tortured to relay the messages of my warband.

I hope you like it :)

gallery_43993_7905_119413.jpg

• 1 month later...

... they all look really cool?

But, apart from that, I'd say that they are all Nurgle-related, the first two being obvious, and the third still recognisable with the triple eye and unicorn-ness. As he is wearing a Chirurgeon, I suppose he will be a Fabulous-Bill-counts-as? If so, an ingenious idea... especially considering how I despise him as a character from reading Fulgrim and Angel Exterminatus.

... correct?

... they all look really cool?

But, apart from that, I'd say that they are all Nurgle-related, the first two being obvious, and the third still recognisable with the triple eye and unicorn-ness. As he is wearing a Chirurgeon, I suppose he will be a Fabulous-Bill-counts-as? If so, an ingenious idea... especially considering how I despise him as a character from reading Fulgrim and Angel Exterminatus.

... correct?

Well, close enough, I'd say. Together they form a palanquin of Nurgle and the character on top can indeed be played separately from the palanquin to be a counts-as Fabius Bile. So internet cookies to you and you may decide which unit I'll paint next. The choice is between a converted aegis line, a dark apostle (both can be seen above) or a unit of raptors. Take your pick :)

And with that said and done, I present to you the finished sorcerer on his palanquin:

gallery_43993_7905_7159.jpg

Comments are very welcome! :)

Duh! A palanquin... very nice, it kind of reminds me of the VC Coven Throne. Also really fluffy, IIRC it's quite common for larger Nurgle deamons to be carried by nurglings.

As for what to paint next... I suggest the Aegis. You're Iron Warriors, after all, so it is only fitting.

I know I shouldn't say the following but anyway.... Iron Within!

That is delightfully amazing stuff

Thanks a lot!

Very cool Model.

Thank you very much. I'm trying to use my huge pile of bits these days to come up with new and interesting conversions. Really cool to hear that people like them! :)

Duh! A palanquin... very nice, it kind of reminds me of the VC Coven Throne. Also really fluffy, IIRC it's quite common for larger Nurgle deamons to be carried by nurglings.

As for what to paint next... I suggest the Aegis. You're Iron Warriors, after all, so it is only fitting.

I know I shouldn't say the following but anyway.... Iron Within!

The Aegis it is then!

And Iron Without! You'll get a headstart when the artillery shelling starts :devil:

• 1 month later...

Well, it took me a month, but I finally finished the Aegis, like Brother-Librarian Haegl suggested.Most of it is just the barebone defense line with imperial aquilas removed and spikes added, but I also exchanged the quad cannon for a reaper autocannon and chaosified the comms relay with demonic paerts and a caged imperial psyker skeleton (might have been an Imperial Fists librarian...:devil:) on top, who's serving as a warp beacon. Next will be the preparation for the ETL, for which I also have a few models waiting to be painted. Some can already be found in this thread in their preparation stage, where my work on the Aegis left them.

gallery_43993_7905_54878.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_15381.jpg

gallery_43993_7905_15486.jpg

I hope you like the model and hope you'll come back for ETL updates :wink.:

@deathspectersgt7: Thanks a lot! Glad you like it :)

Now for some news: After failing by only a few hours last time, I joined this year's ETL to remove that stain from my warband's history. We'll see how that goes...

I, Kythnos, answer the call of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete Be'Lakor, 1 Dark Apostle and 5 Raptors (with 2 Meltaguns and Lightning Claw/Combi-melta champion) from Codex: Chaos Space Marines (Undivided) for a total value of 595 points on or before August 1st. Success will bring eternal glory to the Stonebreakers and their daemonic master Kythnos Thargelion, the Iron Dread, while failure will doom me to bear the Badge of Shame until the year-end.

Time for the first WIP-picture of the vowed miniatures. Everything is just primed, except for the Dark Apostle who's had his first drybrushing:

gallery_43993_7905_95898.jpg

Let's see how long they're going to take!

• 3 weeks later...

ETL Update I:

The Dark Apostle is done (or actually has been for some time, but I didn't manage to take a picture...) and can now join the fighting ranks of my warband. This week is rather crowded with appointment, but I think I'll be able to pick up speed with my vow from next week onwards. And there are still two months left to go anyway. Go Team Chaos!

gallery_43993_7905_52442.jpg

Loving that reaper on the Aegis line.

Your Fabius/palanquin lord is great and I'm trying to work out all the parts you used - I'm stuck on the left hand, what on earth is that? (also the right arm before the terminator axe head... is it from the plastic aspiring champion?) Anyway, he's an excellent mini!

Thanks for the compliments. The left hand comes from the hooded DV cultist champion, while the right arm is from the power axe DV chosen. Hope that helps :happy.: