Imperial Fists and Tablescapes/Terrain [updated: 6/12/17]

Here we have all the tiles together: 

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn177/Emperor_Bill/Mobile%20Uploads/73D33860-16B8-4DDB-8145-E94752BF5354_zpsr60g3csv.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn177/Emperor_Bill/Mobile%20Uploads/F5F283AD-5540-43B9-8F63-F1567B14D7E0_zpsiadqsof5.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn177/Emperor_Bill/Mobile%20Uploads/D90BB1A3-215F-4E59-A7AB-2A8A0C80EBAF_zpsu26uxlqe.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn177/Emperor_Bill/Mobile%20Uploads/91F15C2D-7B63-4EF4-9297-EE8AD71A7EA9_zps0asj7tba.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn177/Emperor_Bill/Mobile%20Uploads/1C03C557-DB5E-49AD-9A10-84A679E11767_zpshfqnc0xu.jpg

Happy with how this turned out. This project ended up being only a 3.5 day endeavor: two days for the first set of tiles, one day for the second (plus an evening for the tester tile). There is some minor consistency issues between the tiles: some streets are darker than others and the foundation tiles are more opaque (and as a result more grey looking) than the sidewalk portions of street tiles. But nothing I can't live with: it's a messy, dirty, city after all.

And with that, the Tablescapes game board is done! I'll have to go back and apply GW Purity Seal over the surface because the artist sealer I was using doesn't seem quite strong enough. But other than that -- done!  

Next is to work on terrain and, of course, finish these little yellow men from hell as I assemble some armor: 

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn177/Emperor_Bill/Mobile%20Uploads/319033DC-CE45-4259-B61F-9B3D7C2234AB_zps9pes2geg.jpg 

Edited by augustmanifesto

• 5 weeks later...

Ah man your yellow and weathering blows mine out the water. That's it I give up

Oh no way, man -- your Imperial Fists vows looked great as memory serves. 

Yeah, that board looks crazy and I love the Administratum building you're working one.  Congrats on finishing the Centurions as well!

Thanks! Hope to have the finished administratum and centurion soon, but some IRL stuff is slowing my roll. *crosses fingers* 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't take this the wrong way, because I think your guys look freaking amazing...

Has anyone ever told you that you've got this cel shaded/Borderlands look to your Imperial Fists? It looks kinda cartoony. But like, the kind of cartoon that adults would wake up early on a Saturday morning for. Hangover and all.

Don't take this the wrong way, because I think your guys look freaking amazing...

Has anyone ever told you that you've got this cel shaded/Borderlands look to your Imperial Fists? It looks kinda cartoony. But like, the kind of cartoon that adults would wake up early on a Saturday morning for. Hangover and all.

Yeah, man, I know what you're saying. The Borderlands comparison hadn't occurred to me, but the exaggerated battle-damage does have a animated-vibe to it, especially in this photos from close-range. Viewed farther away, the minis take on a bit more realistic appearance, I think. But as I finish up some bases and get ready for finished unit shots, you can judge for yourself hopefully soon enough :) 

I'm officially a huge fan!

And you may have convinced me to redo some of my black Templar bolter and heavy weapon initiates as IF allies... (They are better at laying down the fire power anyhow, leave it to the experts I say!)

Wow, this is some beautiful work! How did you do the battle damage on your figures? I love all of the damage, really brings them to life and will look awesome on that urban tabletop. Keep up the great work! 

Wow, this is some beautiful work! How did you do the battle damage on your figures? I love all of the damage, really brings them to life and will look awesome on that urban tabletop. Keep up the great work! 

The sponging technique using Rhinox Hide, highlighted with a mix of Flashgitz Yellow and white. Ages ago one -- or more? -- folks asked for a tutorial, which I said I would do. I'll be putting that together when I get back to some regular space marines, probably when I start painting the Betrayal at Calth MKIV astartes. The trick is to not be shy about going back with Yriel Yellow (what I use for the armor) to cover up excessive sponge effects and to focus on the edges of the armor (which is difficult because of their small size relative to the size of the sponge, but it helps a lot if you paint the minis before assembly). 

I'm officially a huge fan!

And you may have convinced me to redo some of my black Templar bolter and heavy weapon initiates as IF allies... (They are better at laying down the fire power anyhow, leave it to the experts I say!)

Oh, well, yellow is always a fun, care-free family activity :furious:  -- so I'm glad I could help. 

Superb work; had to find your thread and check out your yellow :biggrin.: And boy, was it a great read. Lovely work and the tiles are ace. Look forward to the first games reported from the tabletop :smile.:

Wow, sir. Coming from you this is a big complement. Your Sycthes are not only legendary, but are among the two or three cases of yellow that have inspired me over the years (the other main one being the Imperial Fists painted by Dark Art Miniatures on CMON). It also seems that we share the pastime of spending large amounts of time maintaining our respective chapter's Lexicanum articles -- go figure! There must be some obsessiveness associated with yellow painters, eh? 

That table looks incredible, brother. Your Fists do you proud. Also, looks like Forge World liked your idea to include the black castle tower as a decoration and added it to their most recent transfer sheet for our Legion :wink:

Thanks bro! Yeah when I saw the new FW decals a while back I noticed that immediately. I wish I could claim some credit there (hey -- FW -- can I???) but more likely they are familiar with the Index Astartes entry for the Imperial Fists, which contains the same symbol used on an assault terminator: 

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn177/Emperor_Bill/Imperial_Fists_Vet_Terminator_Armor_zpsnukkrn6a.jpg

The image doesn't specify, but it's a safe bet that the symbol is a campaign badge in this image. I've imagined the symbol to be a motif used specifically in V Company Imperial Fists, who I've named "The Castle Breakers." Now, if GW enters that distinction into canon, then I'll claim credit :ph34r.:

EDIT: Though, tragically, I now seem to remember that in that atrocious Space Marine Movie, V Company were referred to as "Shrine Guard." I'm not sure if that was meant as a proper noun for the company, or, if, more mercifully, it was just a reference to the fact that the company was at point in time guarding a shrine in the middle of nowhere with no strategic importance other than a book that could (should?) have been secured in the inner vaults of Phalanx. But hey, who am I to say? .............

Edited by augustmanifesto

• 1 month later...