The Tyrant Rises - Update 5/18/15 - Tac Marines Done

Great stuff as always. Like the drop pod, especially the interior detailing. The weathering and chipping on the blue is just right, I imagine the main silver is like the general colour of the armour and therefore tougher, the blue would wear off easier, if that makes sense?

I think the outside of the pod could maybe do with a touch more blue, perhaps on the recessed parts of the doors. Depends if you're planning a few more pods really, I can't see all pods being painted identically, they'll all be slightly different to differentiate between squads, companies etc. If there were a few together and some featured more blue then it'd look less plain.

Please take that as the tiny, minuscule piece of constructive criticism that it is. I love your Astral Claws. So much in fact that I'm going to sneakily print myself off a poster at work when nobody is around sweat.gif

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Great stuff as always. Like the drop pod, especially the interior detailing. The weathering and chipping on the blue is just right, I imagine the main silver is like the general colour of the armour and therefore tougher, the blue would wear off easier, if that makes sense?

I think the outside of the pod could maybe do with a touch more blue, perhaps on the recessed parts of the doors. Depends if you're planning a few more pods really, I can't see all pods being painted identically, they'll all be slightly different to differentiate between squads, companies etc. If there were a few together and some featured more blue then it'd look less plain.

Please take that as the tiny, minuscule piece of constructive criticism that it is. I love your Astral Claws. So much in fact that I'm going to sneakily print myself off a poster at work when nobody is around sweat.gif

I have to do at least one more pod at some point. If I change it up for that one I may do a larger vertical stripe on the door as opposed to the horizontal one.

I really want to avoid doing "blocks" of blue on it such as individual panels, or using the boundaries of panels to fill in. All of the FW designs avoid that look and use stripes and geometric shapes of varying size as the accent color and generally ignore the panel boundaries. I think it looks more military and less like a model that way.

I appreciate all the feedback though guys, thanks!

The following is a transcript retrieved from Inquisitoprial outpost 17645-Beta

+++Astral Claw investigation ongoing+++

+++Awaiting reports from crusade elements on Red Corsair activity+++

+++Inquisitorial authority approved for..........

+++TRANSMISSION TERMINATED+++

+++ROGUE SIGNAL INCOMING+++

+++DATED ASTRAL CLAW TRANSMISSION CODES DETECTED+++

+++EMPEROR DELIVER ME FROM THI...Argghhhhh gahllllll ughhhhh+++

Astropath begins convulsing and bleeding from his eyes at this point.

+++Imperial lap dogs, cease your pursuit of my master and our forces. All of your efforts will only bring you death+++

+++Your scout vessel has been taken and its crew slaughtered. It is very poetic of you to send the Mantis Warriors after us, I thank you for the opportunity to deal vengeance on this cowardly chapter+++

+++The Tyrant strives to repay all of his debts and you have brought us 15 heads closer. Turn back now Inquisitor, or face certain death+++

Transmission ends at this point, the astropath is dead and a single image was received, we have determined that this is Tu, formally of Squad Numas. He holds the head of the Strike Team Commander from the Mantis Warriors.

Reports since then have determined that he told no lies and all 15 astartes and the entirety of the scout vessels crew is dead. The Tyrant's fleet has swelled along with his gene-seed stocks.

Emperor save us all.

End report.

Attached Images....

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/redcorsair_zpscffe070d.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/redcorsair4_zps4f002ab1.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/redcorsair2_zps5054bfa5.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/redcorsair3_zps448fbc35.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/redcorsair5_zps92ce7e3a.jpg

Hey all, I painted this guy for a local painting competition tomorrow at my GW. I built him yesterday in about 3 hours, but that's mostly because I kind of figured stuff out as I went. The main body is from the Dark Vengeance chosen model with a bolter. The chest is from the Bezerkers box, the head and backpack from the Tactical box, the arms and sword from the Raptors box and the hand and severed head from the WFB Chaos Warshrine. The hand was the biggest paint as I had to switch sides with it and make it armored. I cut off the thumb and sculpted it on the correct side and ended up shaving down the fingers on the front and replacing them with fingers from a marine hand. I then blended them in with greenstuff and sculpted the top armor panel.

I wanted to give a Chaotic Pirate look but still maintain the image that he is a relatively new convert by keeping some regular marine gear on him. He's stepping on a Mantis Warrior helm, which he just took the head out of and has a Marines Errant helmet on his belt from the Raid on Vilamus. I knew he had to be on a spaceship base, because I mean, these guys are space pirates.

I painted him today in 6 hours. There are a few things I will tighten up at a later date, as well as putting the Corsairs symbol on his shoulder, but for now he is done.

Side note, this is also the first time I used the new Blood for the Blood God paint. I love it. Its awesome and I highly recommend it.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. Sorry I forgot to take pictures before I painted him.

Ditto from me on Heinrich's thoughts.

I didn't think it could get better than your Astral Claws, but it most certainly does. So killer. Great composition and the paint work is flawless. An army of Corsairs from you would be an even bigger treat, dude. whistling.gif

Well there goes the planet...*wanders off to burn down his own Astral Claws and Red Corsairs blog*

On a slightly more serious note that Corsair is fantastic. This thread has served as inspirtation for my Astral Claws many times, and now it seems it will inspire my Corsairs to. Wonderful work as always. pirate.gif

yes he is awesome indeed.

I like the use of the skull under his right shoulder, reminds me of the old artworks the way your eyes keep rolling accross details around corners.

Also noticed Typus in Warhammer:Visions. I was like wow cool typhus I wonder who built him, oh yes I see makes sense now.

Archived