@jokaeero weaponsmith - Nice idea.  Minor nit pick, that is very obviously a Two-Handed Sword or at least a Bastard. The hilt is too small.

Thanks Scion of Ferrus , feed back like that is always welcome. The sword is a bastard sword in both nature and by the fact it has been bastardised and the guy that wields it is none to nice either (at least in my head )

The hilt is getting remade to reflect that and to accommodate the power fist that would grasp it.

Still struggling to finish off the chest area of this guy as well as it looks a little empty to me but unsure of what to do.

You really must be a jokaero, what with the way you build things.....

Dammit, after you take our hobby, you'll take our jobs, and after that, the world. If anyone hasn't visited the Statue of Liberty yet, better do it soon before the space apes blow it up.

@jokaeero weaponsmith - Nice idea.  Minor nit pick, that is very obviously a Two-Handed Sword or at least a Bastard. The hilt is too small.

Thanks Scion of Ferrus , feed back like that is always welcome. The sword is a bastard sword in both nature and by the fact it has been bastardised and the guy that wields it is none to nice either (at least in my head )

The hilt is getting remade to reflect that and to accommodate the power fist that would grasp it.

IMO the design of that sword is more that of a twohanded Greatsword (Zweihänder, Montante, whichever name you prefer), where the Ricasso (the blunt part of the blade close to the grip, where you would place one hand for close quarters fighting) has been replaced with a chainblade. 

I suppose you could go for that design by lengthening the blade, adding a suitably long hilt and possibly a larger guard... you could argue that the powerfist can safely grip the chainblade (when deactivated, anyway), thereby keeping the design functional. For an astartes it would certainly be viable to hold the sword in one hand when using the fist instead, so the combo would still make sense from a practicality angle...

...Also who doesn't like the thought of a grizzled X legion Landsknecht?

Apropos gripping blades with a powerfist... has anyone other than me thought about that in relation to half-swording? Or am I just being to realistic for the small, plastic spacemen? 

• 8 months later...

Been a while but I haven't been idle.

I have got the basis for the model of my standard bearer formed up. Trying to go for a running charging into battle pose so please tell me if this is coming across in the pose.I really wanted the banner to be swept back and even considered a flag for a while but some how it didn't seem to suit the space marine feel.

I am really happy with how the shoulder pad turned out even if it did take a week to get right and is made up of 26 pieces not including the shoulder pad its self.

gallery_61107_6077_56720.jpggallery_61107_6077_24466.jpg

Below is my entry to the Iron Hands march of the legions challenge.

Really happy with how Torq turned out although some of the paint is a little heavy really need some lessons.

I was disappointed with the fact I couldn't make the cryo-tube in time and there are about 15 failed attempts that now litter my work area even the forge world one didn't really work. I will revisit the cryo-tubes at some other time as I have three other buddies that need cyro-tubes as well.as my idea for the challenge was to show the same character at different stages of his induction into the Iron Hands but because the cyro-tube gobbled up all my time I never had a chance to finish them.

gallery_61107_6077_44168.jpggallery_61107_6077_66356.jpg

comments and suggestions welcomed

You really must be a jokaero, what with the way you build things.....

Dammit, after you take our hobby, you'll take our jobs, and after that, the world. If anyone hasn't visited the Statue of Liberty yet, better do it soon before the space apes blow it up.

But the space apes didn't blow it up we did, if they'd blown it up then it wouldn't have been there for the King of the Gun Club to find.

@jokaero weaponsmith - I really love that pauldron!

Edited by Scion of Ferrus

Looking absolutely awesome mate, may steal some ideas from the standard bearer!

Whats your method on the raised edges of the armour panels mate, do you roll beads of GS wait to dry then glue on and clean up?

My descent into Heresy continues.

Using the short story Riven as an inspiration.

Those that follow are the beginnings of an Iron Hands command structure of shattered and bitter survivors of Isstvan V.

KULLDAK

gallery_61107_6077_19506.jpggallery_61107_6077_51099.jpg

gallery_61107_6077_48928.jpggallery_61107_6077_15950.jpg

SLAEGUR

gallery_61107_6077_48358.jpggallery_61107_6077_47429.jpg

gallery_61107_6077_17745.jpggallery_61107_6077_78822.jpg

Surprises me how many good things people can miss if they aren't watching! Very glad I found your treasure trove of masterpieces. GS skill? Check. Plasticard mastery? Check. Pose intuition? Check. I am a hypocrit for saying this, but please please please dive into painting these guys.

My descent into Heresy continues.

Using the short story Riven as an inspiration.

Those that follow are the beginnings of an Iron Hands command structure of shattered and bitter survivors of Isstvan V.

KULLDAKgallery_61107_6077_19506.jpggallery_61107_6077_51099.jpggallery_61107_6077_48928.jpggallery_61107_6077_15950.jpg

SLAEGURgallery_61107_6077_48358.jpggallery_61107_6077_47429.jpggallery_61107_6077_17745.jpggallery_61107_6077_78822.jpg

Surprises me how many good things people can miss if they aren't watching! Very glad I found your treasure trove of masterpieces. GS skill? Check. Plasticard mastery? Check. Pose intuition? Check. I am a hypocrit for saying this, but please please please dive into painting these guys.

I love the cog as the pommel of that chain sword. Consider that stolen!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys.

@ Crywolf I sculpt the raised ridges on after the basic armor is formed.

@ KBA I might have skills else where but i feel I am seriously lacking in the painting department

@ Nighthunters I use thin superglue to hold it in position if I get the position wrong, I heat it over a flame.

@ The Observer I will do a tutorial one day but I used brass etch mesh and brass tube cut and glued in place.

I have done some detailing on the standard bearer, I was trying to go for a brutal looking marine but funny how some sculpts take on a life of their own this guy was going to be a staunch loyalist though and though. I am not to sure about the chainsword and I think he needs a tabard as well.

gallery_61107_6077_45225.jpg gallery_61107_6077_19478.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have been working on a couple little projects lately but have been focusing on a legion champion and I am really happy with some of the details.

I read along time ago that medusian culture was based on Scottish culture, I don't know if this really holds true with the latest fluff from forge world (and don't really care what clan raukaan has to say) but thought it would be nice to explore, so my legion champion carries a modified Targe with a gorgon head on it I don't know why it took so long to come up with the idea for what to put on the shield , it really should have been an obvious choice for a son of medusa.

I know a Targe is traditionally round and strapped to the arm and hand. I thought that with a bionic arm the user would have modified his forearm to locate and control the Targe to free up his hand and increase dexterity for the dagger that was traditional carried with the Targe.

The broadsword is basket hilted to be a little bit different as I think there only two other basket hilts in the GW range, so I used the idea of a circuit board pattern for the hilt I really hope I pulled this off. I was thinking that the energy field of the power broadsword would also flow around the hilt as protection from other power sword blows and making it like a mini power fist.

gallery_61107_6077_38312.jpggallery_61107_6077_13523.jpg

gallery_61107_6077_1945.jpggallery_61107_6077_34636.jpg

As yet I haven't got a name for him but was thinking for his back story he was apart of interchange program between the Iron Hands and the Emperors children and was assigned to a Palatine Blades squad as a sign of respect between the two legions and due his finesse and skill with the sword. However he was left with both arms amputated and thrown from the disembarking ramp of the Firebird as Fulgrim made his escape.

Also started this guy and was wondering what would cause this wound that wasn't fatal but caused damage to the logic functions of the brain.

gallery_61107_6077_26842.jpg

Edited by jokaero weaponsmith