Bjorn the Fell Handed WIP (pic heavy)

Iacton Qruze

Alright, he's a minor update, showing the parts I redid. It was pretty much all the plating on the lower part of the model. I just wasn't happy with the quality of the freehand, so it all had to be redone. Set me back a couple of days, but I still think I'll be okay.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/6/6/231273_sm-Bjorn%20knotwork%20b.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/6/6/231272_sm-Bjorn%20knotwork%20a.jpg

man that stuff is tiny.

I also redid the greave plate. That freehand wasn't *great* and I had put enough weathering on it, that I really felt like I had lazied out on it. I think this came out better. each of those little runes are .75mm tall, and spell out "vlka russ"

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/6/6/231274_sm-Bjorn%20new%20greave%20plate.jpg

I hope to be done with all but the arms and banner here in the next couple of days. A bit more knotwork, some weathering, some verdegris, and snow, and it should be done.

Thanks for looking! :lol:

I just showed this to a friend and told him it would be your golden demon entry. He responded with his plot to steal it.

The torso was hollowed out for a tracking device. Just fair warning. :)

The way you do the battle-damaged armour and the oxidised brass on your figures is absolutely awesome ... truly amazing. Out of interest ... how many hours do you put into a figure like the dread?

Thanks! That dread was actually one of my speedier times. I started him about the 5th of January, and had him done about 9:45 pm January 31st in time to take photos and enter him for the Golden Bolter comp. I'd ballpark guess, 90 hours, give or take.

I think so far, I've put about 80ish hours into painting Bjorn, and I'd venture a guess that I've got about 20 left on the arms, maybe another 6 on the torso, and I'm not sure on the banner, as it's a technique I haven't tackled before, and seems pretty time intensive... maybe 10 hours. Also about 8-10 hours of my time was spent redoing some plates I was unhappy with, but I think I've got my system down, so there shouldn't be any more of that nonsense. ;)

I also have a rotating display base I'm going to jazz up (it's in the mail currently) so that people can just sit and stare at him in person and see all the angles. ^_^ That won't take long, though, because I'm a base building/painting machine. :D

I couldn't even tell you how long the conversion took, as it was done off and on since about 2007, and really came together November of last year.

omg i wish i could paint like that. :)

practice, and thin your paints. I couldn't tell you how many hours I've spent looking at painting tutorials and trying to replicate the results.

Those are both incredible. Where'd you go to learn to paint like that?

Trial and error, and practice. ;) I'm a pretty bad perfectionist, and not above stripping a good model, out of spite, to try and do it better... But I also burn out for months at a time sometimes. <_<

When you say "thin your paints", what do you use to do it??

I love the open hand on the Rune Priest as well, great looking GS!!

I watch this thread with daily anticipation brother. Your work is truly inspiring!!

End of Line

When you say "thin your paints", what do you use to do it??

Honestly, I started out messing around with flow improvers, found that I didn't like the shininess they leave behind, and just moved to straight water. My consistency is dependent on the brand, and how thick the pigment is. Some need more thinning than others, but typically, I'm going for that "2% milk" consistency, that everyone talks about, but makes no sense & no one can really explain better. ;)

A lot of people swear by "wet palette" but I've just never made the jump to it.

Yeah, it's settled. I'm stealing your bronze patina motif.

A lot of people say that. I'm glad so many people like it. :)

I think it's pretty simple, and gets a good effect across. I hate when people lay out a method of doing things that's needlessly complicated, and then you want to do it, but can't get it down the first couple of times and give up. I have a hard enough time with my quantity of painted miniatures without having to completely overhaul my paint quality anytime I want to build an army. ;)

Honestly, I started out messing around with flow improvers, found that I didn't like the shininess they leave behind, and just moved to straight water. My consistency is dependent on the brand, and how thick the pigment is. Some need more thinning than others, but typically, I'm going for that "2% milk" consistency, that everyone talks about, but makes no sense & no one can really explain better. :)

A lot of people swear by "wet palette" but I've just never made the jump to it.

I tried out two different brands of flow "improvers" as well, I found neither to my liking. In fact one brand caused the GW paints to become sticky and rather translucent, they also took days to dry, not unlike an actual oil paint. Thanks for the response though, I need all the tips and assistance that I can get if I am to one day be as competent as you are with a brush!!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/lenseflare/milkjug.jpg

End of Line

Holy bleeping bleep!

He doesn't deserve a keg, he deserves a brewery!!!

The jaw dropping emoticon does not begin to cover the magnitude of jaw dropping...

This has to be one of the finest models I have seen in 40+ years of life.

And I love the repositioning of the cannon arm and the detail you put into that socket!

Archived