Bjorn the Fell Handed WIP (pic heavy)

Iacton Qruze

Wow, at first i was not sure about the head but now I think the whole models looks awsome.

I agree at first I was iffy on the head but it really worked out.

The smoke launchers aren't obviously getting a lot of compliments but most of the time I find them a pain in the butt. You found a creative way to do something cool with them.

It's a small thing, but I really like the snow on the base. Is it GW snow? What is your technique for that? (Mine doesn't have that spring thaw look you kind of have going, I like it.)

Also the weathering... I love it. I have moved to weathering my wolves and really enjoy it. I think with your patience it really shines through on the model... good weathering can't be rushed. Great job.

Thanks for the comments!

The smoke launchers aren't obviously getting a lot of compliments but most of the time I find them a pain in the butt. You found a creative way to do something cool with them.

It's a small thing, but I really like the snow on the base. Is it GW snow? What is your technique for that? (Mine doesn't have that spring thaw look you kind of have going, I like it.)

I'll be honest, those smoke launchers gave me artist's block for about 3 weeks. I could not for the life of me come up with something that didn't look slapdash. Going back to my older dreadnought I just took halves from a chaos SL and stuck them on top, which I got from Vincent Hudon, but while I liked that the fisrt time, I felt it was too plain for what was supposed to be a walking relic. Up until I actually got paint on them, I was cringing with apprehension, and hoping they didn't end up looking crap. I was glad no one immediately pointed out that they didn't like them. :)

The snow is woodland scenics, mixed to a paste with white glue, and applied with toothpicks and a sculpting tool. Glad you like it, though I guess in the end it'll be more of a "first snowstorm of the season" since he'll have flakes dusting across him, as well.

did yo use the F-rune for the V or not?

It's so small that it's hard to tell, but I actually used the "P" rune as according the book I pull my runes from, it can be used for V or W.

Ah, I like the snow technique. I'll have to try it. Mine has more of a ' This snow has been trampled by 10,000 wolves' look to it.

I do admire your continuing with the project. Further down in the forum I decided to revisit my Space Wolves for.... drum roll please, the fourth time. I really like how they look, but they take me soooo bloody long to paint now, I'm burned out after 4 of them! Ugh.

So I admire that here you are plugging away at something that is taking a long time to complete, but you are staying focused and on the project. I truly admire that... keep at it. It's a fantastic piece.

It's so small that it's hard to tell, but I actually used the "P" rune as according the book I pull my runes from, it can be used for V or W.

Ok wich runic alphabet do you use then?

And the torso is done! Just in time too, As I think most of my paint time will be quashed between now and 5pm on Sunday. So I'll step back a bit, and be able to come in fresh on the arms and banner. My time is solid, so I feel pretty good.

Anyway, pics!

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/6/10/232765_sm-Bjorn%20C1.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/6/10/232766_sm-Bjorn%20C2.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/6/10/232767_sm-Bjorn%20C3.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/6/10/232768_sm-Bjorn%20C4.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/6/10/232769_sm-Bjorn%20C5.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/6/10/232770_sm-Bjorn%20C6.jpg

The water effects wasn't totally dry around the icicles, but w/e. I may or may not need to run another coat of it, but short of a dullcote and some gloss varnish on the ice, I'm ready to move on to other parts.

Thanks for looking! ;)

So I admire that here you are plugging away at something that is taking a long time to complete, but you are staying focused and on the project. I truly admire that... keep at it. It's a fantastic piece.

Thanks Prot!

I found this book in a shop and thumbed through it, knowing I was looking for a runic alphabet. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it suited my purposes and wasn't expensive, so I picked it up.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Guide-Rune...0011&sr=1-1

Sooooo cool, very nice work. ;) The details are crazy non ending eye candy.

What do you listen to to pass the painting time?

Edit: when do you plan to put in the red LED eyes?

Hmmm.. just noticed that shoulder pelt isn't very substantial...kinda puny.

LOVE the scrollwork! Especially on the engine. Why? Because it's the little details. Everyone can praise you up and down for putting detail in the obvious places.. it's the less-viewed or uninteresting places that receive details are what make for an amazing model and a sign of a true artist.

Thanks Prot!

I found this book in a shop and thumbed through it, knowing I was looking for a runic alphabet. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it suited my purposes and wasn't expensive, so I picked it up.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Guide-Rune...0011&sr=1-1

Ah its new age.

Sooooo cool, very nice work. :D The details are crazy non ending eye candy.

What do you listen to to pass the painting time?

Edit: when do you plan to put in the red LED eyes?

Thanks!

Honestly, it depends on if my wife is in here doing her thing, we listen to a fair amount of NIN. If it just me, I'm really stupid for anime and j-pop music. I'm a big Megumi Hayashibara listener... It's lame, but I don't even care. :huh:

No LED's. I think they are really cool for the electrically inclined on gaming models, but from a display/comp piece standpoint, I feel like they can overtake and cheapen the overall model. :eek The eyes are kind of an amber, with a pretty weak glow. I may beef the OSL up in the end, but I'm waiting to see how the overall model looks.

Hmmm.. just noticed that shoulder pelt isn't very substantial...kinda puny.

LOVE the scrollwork! Especially on the engine. Why? Because it's the little details. Everyone can praise you up and down for putting detail in the obvious places.. it's the less-viewed or uninteresting places that receive details are what make for an amazing model and a sign of a true artist.

I basically did the rest of the pelt to make the head look more natural, because I wanted the maw hanging out over the skull. I didn't take it too far, because I didn't want this giant wolf pelt hanging all over the top. Once the banner is one there, the pelt really just fades to an accent, which is what I intended.

Thanks! I didn't feel like I was having enough freehand, and was looking for places to stick things without it getting too busy. I got to the back and was like, "wow... it's pretty dull back here. KNOTWORK" Plus now people won't get so bored looking at the back of the model.

To find any criticism in this piece is really silly, imo. I think it's awesome. One of the best pieces I've seen online in the past few years. Really inspiring.

Great job.

Thank you for saying so. ;) One thing I've found though, in pushing myself with this piece, is that I'm looking closer at every piece I see. This is an unfortunate side effect, because I find errors in some of those pieces that score in the 9.4+ range on CMON, and when you look at those, you really just want to be immersed in the awesomeness.

I think everyone can benefit from at least hearing what other people think. I had a good model when I started out, but I think he's a lot better after I did some things based on other people's input. :lol:

Ah its new age.

yeah... *crickets*

Wow Wow Wow!!! that is definately one of the best dreads i have ever seen, hats off to you brother...

Easily the best verdigris effect ive laid my eyes on... the whole model though is definately the epitome of awesome, hell if i was playing against you i wouldnt even dream of attacking the dread because he looks so BADASS !!!

Great job...11 out of 10. :lol:

Wow Wow Wow!!! that is definately one of the best dreads i have ever seen, hats off to you brother...

Easily the best verdigris effect ive laid my eyes on... the whole model though is definately the epitome of awesome, hell if i was playing against you i wouldnt even dream of attacking the dread because he looks so BADASS !!!

Great job...11 out of 10. :lol:

I'm sure this has been asked like a hundred times... how'd you do the snow? Seriously.. it looks... it looks like real snow.

Your Bjorn definitely puts mine to some form of shame. =P

Please tell me you're putting this in Golden Demon.

I'm sure this has been asked like a hundred times... how'd you do the snow? Seriously.. it looks... it looks like real snow.

Your Bjorn definitely puts mine to some form of shame. =P

Please tell me you're putting this in Golden Demon.

Here. Or just scroll up on this page.

The snow is woodland scenics, mixed to a paste with white glue, and applied with toothpicks and a sculpting tool. Glad you like it, though I guess in the end it'll be more of a "first snowstorm of the season" since he'll have flakes dusting across him, as well.

Beautiful model. I wish seeing such art didnt make me want to shove my army deeper into the closet.. I look at my old tanks and stuff that i pained when i was 14-16 and think.. "Wow, that looks like it was pointed by a little kid.. oh wait" Just some dumb stuff like big copper letters saying FOR RUSS or whatever.. I think i have one guy that has a bleeding stump of an arm and a melta gun in the other that says "F--- Plasma" on it.. i was really against plasma back then >_>

Love the figure though, looking amazing. And im curious.. if you look at the post about your rune priest, the last picture of the shoulder pad... is that a hair in the paint on the btm left corner? Wolf hair! :o

What do you use for the rivets? That look amazing and I need lots to sort out my FW Thunder Hawk.

Keep you the good work! :o

In the UK you can only really get them online from my searches.

Did find .5mm & .6mm ones from here http://cuddlybuddly.com/shop/b15-flowers-d...er-micro-beads/

Search for no hole beads. Accent does 1mm ones, usually on eBay.

And Iacton....I still hate you for your ridiculously high quality amazing painting/ converting/ modeling..........if this doesn't do well at GD then the judges are blind and bias!

Archived