Bjorn the Fell Handed WIP (pic heavy)

Iacton Qruze

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone knows Bjorn's GC mark. You could speculate that the fire wolf was his, though, based on the newer codex artwork.

Truly inspirational work, thank you.

I don't believe that Bjorn was ever a Wolf Lord, he went straight from being one of Russ's companions (Wolf Guard/Varangi) to being the first Great Wolf after Russ.

So he wouldn't have had a GC mark.

Isn't the Great Wolf a majority vote from the 12 Lords?

Unless this is somehow touched on in Battle of the Fang (which I just started reading), I've not seen any fluff/lore to suggest Bjorn was "chosen". Even if he was, despite our love for the book(s), I don't think they're considered canon lore like any fluff found in a codex. Not to say someone can't subscribe to such information for themselves (The Rout, Aett, Wolfblades, etc), but speaking in general terms, I wouldn't consider it official canon lore.

Unless this is somehow touched on in Battle of the Fang (which I just started reading), I've not seen any fluff/lore to suggest Bjorn was "chosen". Even if he was, despite our love for the book(s), I don't think they're considered canon lore like any fluff found in a codex. Not to say someone can't subscribe to such information for themselves (The Rout, Aett, Wolfblades, etc), but speaking in general terms, I wouldn't consider it official canon lore.

Spoiler for BotF:

Björn muses a bit on facts of why and how Leman Russ left him and he implies to some degree that Leman Russ left him in charge, and that the way he left him was to give him a hate and anger he could use to guide and lead the SW for a long time. So I dont think Björn was chosen by any other than Russ himself, or simply by the fact that he was the one closest to him of those that were left.

"after seven years the surviving Wolf Lords gathered and elected Bjorn their leader, awarding him the title Great Wolf."
- pg 47. Codex Space Wolves (2nd Edition)

as for the badge, Iacton Qruze has it right, the original 2nd edition model had the same badge pictured. Also it's shown on pg 31 in 2nd edition codex SW... saying; Leman's badge marks Bjorn as having fought alongside Russ in ancient times.

Now that I can accept.

Edit: Went digging into the 2E codex, saw this:

"The badge of Ragnar and the army badge are additions to Bjorn's heraldry and simply refer to his being a part of Ragnar's current task force."

So whatever debate was getting tossed around about Bjorn having a Deathwolf or Firewolf emblem, I think so long as the Wolf That Stalks Between Stars emblem is prevalent, it doesn't matter what secondary heraldry Bjorn has.

Wow that is an awesome model! I would give it a Golden Daemon if I could. ^_^

My only critique is that I have always viewed Bjorn with the flat helmet-less sarcophagus(as per all artwork). You also gave him Ulrik's Wolf Helm of Russ which is a unique piece of wargear. It makes a great looking helmet nonetheless though.

Wow that is an awesome model! I would give it a Golden Daemon if I could. ^_^

My only critique is that I have always viewed Bjorn with the flat helmet-less sarcophagus(as per all artwork). You also gave him Ulrik's Wolf Helm of Russ which is a unique piece of wargear. It makes a great looking helmet nonetheless though.

Thanks!

Actually, a number of sources state that the wolf skull isn't unique in and of itself, and is the typical helmet of a Wolf Priest, like the human skull is to a Chaplain; Ulrik just happens to have a unique one.

Granted it's typically seen on a Wolf Priest, and not on anyone else, but I've never cared for the flat sarcophagi, and wanted him to have the kind of appearance that would truly shake the resolve of those that stood in his path.

Alright, time for an update. I just need to do the source lighting on the claw nodes, add some snow, and clean up a couple of spots that I noticed in the giant photos, and it'll be done. Then it's just the banner to finish, and a couple of clean ups on the model. Large photos are great for picking up those tiny errors...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/6/29/241361_sm-Bjorn,%20Dreadnought,%20Space%20Wolves,%20Venerable.jpg

For some reason, I guess the lighting, it really takes away the subtlety of the blade knotwork. It looks better in person.

Here's an overall shot. I also toned back the "glowy" verdigris that was hurting the overall look.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/6/29/241360_sm-Bjorn,%20Dreadnought,%20Space%20Wolves,%20Venerable.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Sweet goodness.................... You really got something there you should be proud of, well done sir.

For some reason, I guess the lighting, it really takes away the subtlety of the blade knotwork. It looks better in person.

You maybe using different types of lighting at the same time such as daylight from a window and incandescence from a normal light bulb or fluorescent,,,,. Cameras have a hard time adjusting and compensating for contrast when this is the case. Also check your white balance option.

Would you consider painting the zoanthrope's or whatever it is a different color. It comes through as being somewhat the same color as Bjorn. When my eye first catches it, I think its part of the whole model and as such its a bit distracting. If it was easier to distinguish and thus better recognized it would be easier to dismiss and allow the viewer's eye to stay on the center piece.

Cheers.

That's a good point, I forgot to turn the overhead lamp off when I took the shot.

I actually painted the warrior that color because the main person I play 40k with runs nids with that color scheme. It shows up more blue in person. Another trick of the light, or my crappy photography skills. ;)

Alright, time for an update. I just need to do the source lighting on the claw nodes, add some snow, and clean up a couple of spots that I noticed in the giant photos, and it'll be done. Then it's just the banner to finish, and a couple of clean ups on the model. Large photos are great for picking up those tiny errors...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/6/29/241361_sm-Bjorn,%20Dreadnought,%20Space%20Wolves,%20Venerable.jpg

Here's an overall shot. I also toned back the "glowy" verdigris that was hurting the overall look.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/6/29/241360_sm-Bjorn,%20Dreadnought,%20Space%20Wolves,%20Venerable.jpg

Thanks for looking!

wow ;) that is a nice claw hand you got there:D

I should have looked into this sooner.

Awesome model there.

Any plans on a how-to? I'd be curious, my 2nd Ed Bjorn model is seeming a bit dated.

I'd also like to ask if you plan to show this to GW. I normally don't like the headed Dreads (normal sarco's for me), but this, for Bjorn?

Yea, I officially want that model. Great job.

They'll get to see it at Gamesday. I haven't shown it to them other than that. I'd be a sad panda if they jacked my model idea for mass production, though. Hopefully all my wolf brothers out there would know where the real deal came from first, though. <_<

If there's enough interest in a Tut on making a dynamic dreadnought, I might be able to whip something up; I've still got a Venerable SW dread that needs a modeler's touch.

I'm also working on getting a PA wolf skull helmet out there for people in the future.

They'll get to see it at Gamesday. I haven't shown it to them other than that. I'd be a sad panda if they jacked my model idea for mass production, though. Hopefully all my wolf brothers out there would know where the real deal came from first, though. <_<

If there's enough interest in a Tut on making a dynamic dreadnought, I might be able to whip something up; I've still got a Venerable SW dread that needs a modeler's touch.

I'm also working on getting a PA wolf skull helmet out there for people in the future.

There should be a great deal of people howling, at least, I hope. And yes, it's here and on Dakka Dakka; nice coolness score there, btw.

A tutorial is something I must leave up to you, however I'd be interested in what your approach was to learn more about how things are done on that model.

I'd be greatly interested in a PA wolf skull helm for my models, that's for sure.

Archived