Al...most... done...

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Legion_Raider_06.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Legion_Raider_05.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Legion_Raider_07.jpg

Chaos Land Raider Extra Armour

I still need to do a few armour plates for the doors, and I'm considering one for the engine, and maybe a few bits of decorative trim. Just need to be careful not to go too overboard. So, after doing the edge cleanup, these will be ready for mould making.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Havoc_Launcher_13.jpg

Havoc Launcher 2.0 is also almost complete

The missile tips are still not glued, so they are a bit off in these photos. But other than that, this project is also ready for mould making.

Damn. one of these days I need to get back to painting. Sometimes building is just too compelling.

Must... build... more...

Very rarely do you see conversions that wholly fit the established GW style, let alone kits. You are on a winner here Mr Discord. Make sure you charge enough to both cover your costs and make production worthwhile for yourself. It would be a crying shame for these not to flood the market.

If my gaming buddy elects not to commission you I shall disown him.

im a fan of the weapons going into the rear slot and the doors infront on raiders, is this possible with the way you have done it above? maybe a way to make the door lining switchable so that we can choose where we want doors and sponsons so that you only have to cast one set for all applications

Damn... Well, I think I'm on the right track here. :cuss Thanks, as always, for the feedback and positive comments. They're very encouraging, and keep me motivated, trust me.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Sometimes, (believe it or not) I wonder if what I'm doing is looking as good as I think it is. The artist is usually the most critical of their own work, I guess. I know the technical side like the fit and cutting will be good, I've gotten skilled and confident at that. Then there's the look and style that I ponder over that I'm always hoping translates well into the final components - I think I have my answer. I've been playing on-and-off since Rouge Trader days. All of this is the culmination of years of fantasizing about how I think Chaos equipment should look like, based on what I've seen in GW illustrations, mixed with my own ideas, and some other sci-fi influences.

As for the door placement on the Raider, I absolutely considered it, and tried to work out a symmetrical way for the openings. I wanted the banding/trim around at least one, but when I did it around both it felt too crowded to me. Since it already stands out, I also like the sponson flush to the smooth plate, personally. The solution will be simple enough, and is part of the reason I did these in three pieces. I'll make an identical center piece with the openings reversed for those who want them switched.

But, that all depends on if this first prototype casts well. It will be the largest item I've tried to cast so far, so I'm still in the "yeah, that should work" phase of the build. I'm confident I can do it, but there's always that bit of doubt until you see a successful copy. Won't be too long before I have my answer

Is there any type of website that you could direct me to that would explaing the mold making processes that you refer to, I find this very interesting and would like to be able to re-create some of the older pieces that I have?

GW PLEASE take note fantasticly chaos and not a garden gate in site :D

So agreed.

The GW ones always make me think someone's raided a garden centre or ironmongers. It's stupid and unnecessary.

Here you go jwentzel, and anyone else that dabbles in resin casting. This thread was a huge help to me; some notes on Resin Casting

Read it all (it's only 4 pages) and it will give excellent ideas on how to make delicate objects. That thread is what helped me with a large learning curve - creating moulds that can create long, thin, delicate, objects and not warp and/or leak everywhere. The main key is the mould box that you create. The person in this thread has done an amazing job with machined aluminum making wonderful mould boxes. I personally didn't take it that far, but I use metal plates bolted together with wing-nuts. The mould is clamped in the plates, holding them evenly and firmly during resin injection. Same concept as the other thread, but much less elegant.

My method isn't quite as nice as machined blocks (maybe someday) but it still works really well. Once I used this method to produce my Trim kits, I started to see that it should work well for my Armour kits as well. It will need to be scaled up a bit, but will be essentially the same.

Someday I'd like to so a series of articles on my adventures in casting, but it's such an in depth process, I get intimidated (read: lazy) by the idea of documenting it all.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, has it been that long already? Message received, and I hope to have a group of substantial updates coming very soon. I've been doing lots of unglamorous mould making lately. One of these days I guess I should document the process for those who might be interested.

Life has been keeping me busy, so my build time has been more limited lately, but I've still been getting some great progress done. Resin, Rubber, CAD, and Styrene all vying for my time, it can be hard to choose what to work on. The Land Raider Armour is almost done, and half of the moulds are poured - the first casts are great! It should be totally done in just a few more days. Once I have a few more pieces done photos will follow.

The new Havoc Launcher was cast, and the mould works, but there are still issues with it. I do have one copy I'll show, but I'll revise the mould before they go into proper production. The tips of the missiles are being very stubborn, and keep getting bubbles. Frustrating, to say the least. Especially since the rest of the mould works perfectly.

The second Rhino Trim kit is being cut, and a third is taking form in CAD. This one will start seeing the light of day very soon. The design for the Predator Armour kit is almost done, and I've started cutting some of the base styrene for it. It too will start turning up here soon.

I've got a few more things brewing in my brain, but I'll get to those later. *Evil grin* Ok, no rest for the wicked. Back to work.

Oh yes, any rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated. Life just has a way of adding distractions that slow my progress. I like to do updates that have some substance, so if my progress slows, so do the updates. Any progress is good progress, however, and I've been able to get back on track lately.

I hadn't really considered a Havoc Launcher for anything other than actual tanks, The_Chaplain, but you can be assured that the seed has now been planted in my brain. With some of the rumors floating around about how the new Chaos Codex is going to shape up, I think I'm going to have opportunities to build my take on several pieces of new/revised wargear. Part of me wants the new 'Dex now so I can see what GW has planned, and how I can work my ideas into said plan. (Also, so the poor excuse of a Codex we have now can be taken out behind the barn, and shot... repeatedly.) Then there's the part of me that wants it to wait just a month or two more, so I can get some of my current builds done, before I have something new to distract me. Oh well, it will arrive when it arrives, and I'll make the best of it. What a welcome distraction it will be!

Now, with all that said, on to a sneak peak of what I've been up to...

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Legion_Raider_08.jpg

I had a mishap last night with the second mould I'm making for the large center armour plate of this kit. Lets just say, fumbling a large mould as you're carefully lowering it into the pressure chamber can really ruin your day. One huge slimy mess later, I had no choice but to let the rubber cure overnight before I could clean up, and give it another go today. Everything has been made right, and the first half of the new mould is curing now. Once that mould is done I just need to pour one last mould for the various armour plates I made for the doors and engine, that can be seen in the picture.

This has been a challenging project due to the size of the larger components, (the mould for the center piece is quite large by my standards) but I'm so pleased with the results, it was worth the effort. This has really helped me prove to myself that I can pull this off, and the future projects I have planned will be realistic. So encouraging!

Well then, I'm off. Must... build... more...

I can't wait for the Land Raider kit. I have an old Land Raider sitting around for at least 5 years. I got it used with a horrible amount of primer on it, these beautiful large plates will cover that up nicely. I'm still following your thread with a mix of awe and anticipation.

wow these are coming along nicely! looks like im going to have to start that small chaos display force after all, keep up the excellent work and i eagerly await the pricing for this stuff.

dont forget a switched opening version for the land raider sponsons ;)

Edited by Boomsly