any specific kind of plasticine? i've never heard of it so i don't really know. but its a much better way to get those locking things than what ive been doing. i pour my first half and cut little notches out with a blade. yeah not as good haha. this article of yours has helped immensely, now to redo my mold of my flag and get to fancy-ing up my squads.

an idea for you, that id buy a metric crap ton of, would be to make legion symbols to put either on a rhino or land raider etc. if you offered a cool looking IW one id have to buy one for every tank <_< i kinda don't want you to at the same time cause i have A LOT of tanks haha. but seems like something simple that would be a good edition to your product line.

Got a chance to do some of the first test casts of the new Trim kit. I'm experimenting with Masonite boards to clamp the moulds, but might end up going back to thin sheet metal. The Masonite is just too annoying to clean hardened resin off of. The other option is to make a larger reservoir to catch the small bit of overflow before it touches the Masonite. I'll figure out something.

Besides that, I've got the right amount of pressure going (one of the key things about trying to cast these parts) and I'm getting good results after just a few test casts. See for yourself...

dmE7EHN.png

Just the right amount of flash is a really good thing to see. It shows that the part is filling completely, and it gives the soft part a sort-of scaffold to keep the part's shape correct as it cures to complete hardness. Too much pressure and the part gets squished thinner, too little and the flash is too thick.

The only 'major' problem I'm seeing is that the bottom right piece pictured here keeps getting a bubble trapped in the last part. (Far right, almost dead center) I think a small hand-cut vent and/or changing how I hold the mould during casting should solve the issue. Still need to do a few more test casts, but I'm off to classes for now.

As usual, more to come...

Edited by Subtle Discord
+++ Image Data-link ∙ Repair +++

Excellent work, brother. Those casts look really good. :D

I would like to advocate a small vent on the issue of repeat bubbling. Sounds like that may solve the problem.

Thanks AngelsAbsolute I had forgotten that someone asked. And AngelsAbsolute is absolutely correct, the key thing you want is 'sulfur free' plasticine. I had the hardest time finding a product that specifically said 'sulfur free'. When I bought mine it was one of the last things I needed to get started casting split moulds, I didn't want to order it online and wait a week for it to arrive. After some searching I found someone talking about mould making and that they used Van Aken Modeling Clay. It's a very common brand stocked by many hobby/craft/art stores, and I could find it at my local craft store. I'm using Van Aken and it's working perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update for Trim Kit #2.

dmE7EHN.png

After a few test casts to get the clamp boards working as intended, these parts are looking really nice. All my time has been taken doing a few casting runs, so I haven't been able to get the kit actually attached to a Rhino hull. Pictures of that coming soon...

Edited by Subtle Discord

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Due to a demanding schedule this poor thread slipped into a coma. I assure you it’s not dead, just biding its time until I can resurrect it. More work is on the way…

That said, I agree completely. Please let sleeping dogs lay until they wish to wake on their own. If it’s meant to be, it will happen.

• 1 month later...

++++++++++Scanning...
++++++++++Scanning...
++++++++++Scanning...
++++++++ . . .
++++++++++INTERUPT! ... 33.2
++++++++++Signal Detected...
++++++++++Processing...
+++ . . .
++++++++++Lock...
++++++++++Capture...
++++++++++Encode...
+++++++++ ... 92.5
++++++++++Processing...
++++++++ . . .
++++++++++Decrypt...
++++++++++Decrypt...
++++++ . . .
++++++++++Processing...
++++++++++Initial Data - Image Files

+++++++++ . . .

++++++++++Displaying - Traitor Gunship (Storm Eagle STC Variant) 01...

tXqGd2S.png

++++++++++Displaying - Traitor Gunship (Storm Eagle STC Variant) 02-04...

1TYOYUP.png

++++++++++Processing...

++++++ . . .

++++++++++Singal Lost...

++ . . .

++++++++++Scanning...

++++++++++Scanning...

++++++++++Scanning...

More to come.

Edited by Subtle Discord

I had wondered if SD was going to tackle one of these ^_^  Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Edited by Aquilanus

++++++++++Processing...
++++++ . . .
++++++++++Decrypt...
++++++++ . . .

++++++++++ Data Extract - Image Files...

+++++++++ . . .

++++++++++Displaying: Chaos Decimator War Engine 01-02...

St7UO4r.png

++++++++++Displaying: Chaos Decimator War Engine 03-05...

ledGqHv.png

++++++++++Processing...
++++ . . .

++++++++++Decrypt Cycle Continue...

++++++++ . . .

++++++++++Scanning...

++++++++++Scanning...

++++++++++Scanning...

Edited by Subtle Discord