You're a freakin god amongst toddlers, Subtle. I'm over here struggling to make anything out of plasticard and you're doing this. :biggrin.:

Makes a guy feel a bit inadequate, doesn't it? :sad.:

Someone has to lead us. :smile.:

Indeed. SD is an inspiration to us all.  

That paint chest is genius- if you ever prototyped it and eventually made it into plastic a lot of us would wind up buying one I'm sure. 

You're a freakin god amongst toddlers, Subtle. I'm over here struggling to make anything out of plasticard and you're doing this. :biggrin.:

Makes a guy feel a bit inadequate, doesn't it? :sad.:

Someone has to lead us. :smile.:

Indeed. SD is an inspiration to us all.  

That paint chest is genius- if you ever prototyped it and eventually made it into plastic a lot of us would wind up buying one I'm sure. 

There's one of the best product idea's for a kickstarter if ever I've seen one!

I would buy that paint chest if it was a laminated paper of some type or even plans to print and make my own. I've been looking for something exactly like this to keep all of my Vallejo paint together.

I would recommend that you stop using Legos for your mold boxes. I use foamcore and a glue gun, works like a charm.

Thanks as always for the humbling praise and wonderful feedback. I really do hope that my work inspires people to consider the ambitious and over-the-top projects as realistic, if they are willing to think big and give it a try. Your setup doesn't need to be all that large or elaborate to do most of the things I show. The desire to learn the process and give it a try is most important; it's not hard, it just takes some time and effort. Commodities many miniature builders and painters are quite used to exploiting.

Hummm... I posted the painting Carryall as a bit of a quick distraction; I honestly didn't expect it to generate as much interest as it has. I wish I could say there's some realistic way to see it become something I could manufacture, but right now it's just too large/complex for my modest studio. It was built mostly as a one-off, however, message received; I've been trying to come up with personal projects that are a step away from military models, (a broad portfolio is a good thing) so this seems as good an idea as any. I'm not sure of the how or when, but don't be surprised if/when this case (or a refinement thereof) turns up again in the future.

I'd be interested in seeing the Foamcore mould box technique (I'll see if I can find something on my own) but it will be hard pressed to compete with Lego, in my personal opinion. I use the blocks as a measure of how much rubber is in the mould, so 1 block is minimum mould thickness for me. I can build stilts and/or stack the Lego when curing several moulds. The mould boxes are 100% true and square every time, no matter how larger or tall. The blocks are standardized, a foolproof way of making identical moulds that can stack well and/or share clamp boards used during casting.

I would like to devise a modular and standardized mould box system that I could fabricate from metal or plastic, but my brain has yet to come up with a solution. Someday I'll have access to larger equipment and hopefully I'll get a chance to build and see what I can come up with.

After spending a good part of the day going over your thread & looking at your shop page, all I can say is what has already been said numerous times. GOOD GOD THAT'S AMAZING WORK!!!!!!!:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: Please keep it up. I'm a loyalist player & I'm thinking about buying some of those kits. I'll definitly be keeping an eye on this thread. You obviously don't need it but good luck in what ever field of design & build you end up in. I think you have probably got yourself a nice little business with this as it is. I have 3 Chaos player buddies & I'll definitly be telling them about your stuff. INCREDIBLE!

I'm thinking that the difference between your methods and mine is that you want far more precision than I do.  I use a plastic straight edge and a utility knife and estimate the size of the panels I'll need to make my mold box.  I then cut them into roughly the same size and hot glue them together.  The rubber sticks to the foam core when it cures and you peel it off like an orange and throw the foam board away.  I'm making one piece molds using translucent rubber and I cut down to the original master part just enough to get it out of the mold.  This way you don't need to worry about keying the two piece molds or clamping them together as much.  You also don't have the mold box collapsing because the Lego blocks will always let liquid rubber seep through and pressure force them apart.  I'm not sure what brand rubber and resin you are using but I can recommend an excellent one via pm if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

No rest for the weary, no sleep for the wicked. Been juggling quite a bit the last while and sadly the studio time has had to suffer for it. That said, I've finally got the last bits done for the first Accessories Kit, so here's a quick update...

ikA9m2z.png
∙ A few extra details and some rivets finish up the linked-Bolter Ammo Drums.

I wanted to keep this more simple and neutral; it's easy to clutter something so small. I'm happy with the straightforward look it has, and nothing is stopping me from revisiting this bit and making variations.

SzUk7BI.png
∙ After a few failed attempts, the last bit in the selection finally took form, the Dirge Caster.

As I built these parts I kept thinking I'd do something more elaborate, but as the layers came together the clean vox-grill look with a single high-frequency satellite speaker didn't seem to need more, in my humble opinion. By using the same curved base part that I used in the Searchlight, the parts share a nice cohesive form with the rest of the kit.

Moulds are curing as I write this, and the first casts of these final bits should be done in the next few days. If all goes as planned I'll sit down this weekend and update The Dark Works; everything shown the last while should be available next week.

I've got a few more ideas and projects bouncing around inside my head, but that's another story for another day. Must... not... write... wall... of... text.

Edited by Subtle Discord
+++ Image Data-link ∙ Repair +++

I've got a few more ideas and projects bouncing around inside my head, but that's another story for another day. Must... not... write... wall... of... text.

Some...of..us...like...walls...of..text..if..it..provides...insight...into...potential...pucrchasble...shiny...things...being...released..in..the...future..

Seriously though, glad to see an update, and the dirge caster and ammo drums look sweet!

• 3 weeks later...

All work and no play makes Subtle go something something...

All work and no play makes Subtle go..

... go crazy?

Don't mind if I do! *Blragh gigergle splat bletch*

Errr... Studies have kept me quite busy but I finally found time to get all of the background work done, so just a quick late-night post to celebrate The Dark Works waking from its slumber...

nLqTgfw.png
qxw60ub.png
∙ Something old, something new; pictures of the older kits mixed with the new Vehicle Accessories and Tracks.

The new kits are finally in proper production, and looking really good, if I do say so myself. With these smaller kits, I can now offer a better selection of bundles along with single kits. I might simplify the selection in the future, but for now, I think choice is good.

More coming soon (I hope) but for now, sleep ways is right ways. Thanks as always for past and future support of my work, and the modest studio that is growing from it.

Edited by Subtle Discord

Looks really good SD! I can't wait to see what is next on the docket (though I secretly hope it's the storm raven extension/ armor kit from a few pages back). The sonic weapon is particularly spiffy, it'd make a great laud hailer on an imperial vehicle as well.

Thanks Chaplain, I had some stubborn times along the way, but I'm satisfied that they are finally done. I would really like to get back to the Storm Eagle; trust me, it keeps calling to me. But, it's a huge build, with many layers of detail that will take several weeks of focused work. It will happen, but only when I have the time to properly focus on it and do the build right. In the short term, an obvious idea bubbled back up in my brain last week...

dmE7EHN.png

∙ 'Chaos Strong-Point'? Yes, I think that has potential; perhaps with a 'Twin-Linked Reaper Auto-Cannon' upgrade in the future.

These are really early sketches based on GWs kit to get the idea down on paper. I want to do more then just add Trim, I will be changing the form/shape to make it more unique along with other cosmetic changes. But naturally, it will retain the exact same footprint of a GW Defense Line. This project is of a much more realistic scope for the time being, so it should start taking form soon-ish.

I also recently got my hands on a new set of tools for the studio...

dmE7EHN.png

∙ Greenstuff industries Tentacle Maker Tools are a welcome addition to my selection of building paraphernalia; I can't wait to start using them.

With these handy dandy little plates, I'll be able to start adding all manner of tentacles, hoses, and pipes to future projects. I'll be sure to do an article-or-two about using them, once I get around to a build that can benefit from them.

Edited by Subtle Discord

Discord, the aegis is a great idea!   Will this be an all in one, new kit or an add on to an existing aegis?   ( I have an unbuilt Aegis so hoping for the latter). In any case, I cant wait to see more work from you. I'd love to see what you could do with a contemptor, but sounds like you have enough ideas of your own to get through. Thanks for the good work and chaos love!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys, as always, for the kind words. The Aegis Line Defense Point will be a complete build since it's a straightforward shape. With a Quad-gun it will be hard to do it at GW's price point, but I'll see what I can come up with. It will be heavy on resin for a simple kit, but at least resin is a reasonable material.

All praise be to the winter break! With the Industrial Design program I am enrolled in, the curriculum does not really suit a 'reading week' mid-term. In return, we get a longer holiday break. Finally, some wide-open studio time! But, before any new build projects for the studio, I'll definitely be spending some time at the painting bench...

Ahsh536.png

∙ With lots of painting projects to choose from, there's no problem filling up the painting bench with plenty of models.

Since I do have a little time to paint, and maybe chip away at actually finishing an army that can see a table or two, I've gone back to my army list, again. Another shuffle; not the first, won't be the last. When the new Chaos Codex was released I got several of the new kits, which promptly started their wait in the long list of projects to complete. Since I had the model it seemed silly to ignore adding a 'Drake to the new list. It's not really the kind of flyer I'd prefer to add to my list, but you have to work with what you're given.

Most of the model is held together with thread the poster-tack, so at this point, the pose is only 80% where it should be. Given how complex and overlapping many of the parts are, I'll be painting many parts before assembly to save my sanity. Just too many nook-and-crannies to deal with otherwise.

19nU9th.png

∙ Naturally, I couldn't leave the Heldrake kit stock, it needed some personalization.

Originally I wanted to do a major conversion and scratch build, to create a Heldrake that was closer to a fighter jet with a cockpit and straight lines. I still like the idea, but after dabbling with the kit the idea seemed possible, but very elaborate and involved. Later, I'll consider elaborate and involved (and maybe make a cast-able kit out of the effort), but right now I wanted to make something a little less ambitious. Adding a Magma Cutter nozzle to the mouth (Autocannon removed) for a bit of variety was a start, and Lasher Tendrils added some interest to the tail.

w0b9pbZ.png

∙ Taking inspiration from a Heldrake conversion by Rumplemaster Miniatures I wanted to give the model a more vertical pose and bring the head forward and down.

In the Rumplemaster conversion they chose to take a more... direct... route to cutting down the chest plate of the Drake and bringing the head forward. I chose to more carefully carve out the center armour plate with a Razor Saw, lower it, and reintegrate it as seamlessly as I could manage. This gave me room to lower the neck, and combined with a small change to the armour plate under the chin I was able to lower the head pose to add to the effect. A little brownstuff and some sanding filled in the old stand hole; I'm planning on adding a rod out of the rear foot as a stand post. I think the final pose will need to wait on the base; maybe I can get something tall enough for the foot to grip for support.

So after I take a little diversion on a few personal projects I'll be turning my gaze back on some studio builds. I want to try to keep painting no matter what, but I still have some build ideas clawing at the back of my brain that want to become real. I can't ignore the whispers from the warp, they keep calling me back to the Storm Eagle. But that, so they say, is another story for another day.

Edited by Subtle Discord

I want to try to keep painting no matter what, but I still have some build ideas clawing at the back of my brain that want to become real. I can't ignore the whispers from the warp, they keep calling me back to the Storm Eagle. But that, so they say, is another story for another day.

Well, I for one, cannot wait to see the madness that your mind comes up with.  Once finances improve, and after you've finished that Eagle kit, I intend to make a very large order- at the very least it'll go towards encouraging some creative minds in this hobby, and maybe give you some money towards those obnoxiously overpriced text books.

I hang my head in shame. Your stuff is amazing and makes such a huge difference. Where do I place an order???

Found your site. Don't suppose you'll be relocating to the UK any time soon?

Gday SD,

I received my order and it is awesome. Can't wait to start building and painting On the holidays.

Your stuff is amazing and inspirational.

I have an idea for you that should be very easy for you to do. Dread claw conversion kit! It would only need a bottom hatch plate and a few of your chaos trim for the sides and doors. Add that to the SM drop pod kit and BAM! Chaos drop pods. What do you think?

Also the storm eagle conversion sounds enticing. Keep up the awesome work mate, hopefully I will have some photos up of your kits during the Christmas break.

Cheers,

Sarge