The fact that I have my own Spartan to build makes me very happy with this latest post!! I had intended to ape your trim kits in plasticard with my own so that it looked in keeping with my Rhinos (which do have your most excellent kits on), obviously I wasn't expecting to produce them to your high standard, but I was going to have a go nevertheless.

Now, however, you may as well take more of my money......! For the Warmaster of course :D

Your Rapiers a simply excellent. I fully intend on grabbing some of them in future. The detail is sublime.

First off, I'm super excited to see you start tackling the spartan and fire raptor.... :tu:

[snip]
My first impression of the kit is one of sheer awe; in both raw mass and level of detail, the Spartan delivers. While the Sicaran and Fire Raptor are both amazing looking kits there are issues and elements with both (build fit issues mostly, but some details) that don't appear to be the same with the Spartan. I won't know until I actually assemble it, but it appears to have a much cleaner fit and less warping than any other large FW kit I've received. The details are also just a bit more refined and polished all around; nothing that makes other kits inferior, but it just seems like whoever make the prototype really did it right and took their time.
[/snip]

Second, I think it's quite interesting that your impression of the spartan kit as a build is the same as mine. I build one as a commission a couple years back, and found it to go together very smoothly. Yet the spartan kit has a terrible reputation online. There's even a thread called 'spartan survivors' here on BnC! ;)

heyhey, first of all: I love your work!

your kits are looking amazing and I cant wait to get mine! :wub.:

I ordered 3 weeks ago, but I havent got the package yet...

I live in Germany and in your email it says it would normally take 6-10 days... :unsure.:

I sent you 2 emails (with help of your website), but didnt get any reply.

Hopefully you can help me with this and go on with your absolutly amazing work! :wink:

Hello Gulliver,

First, thanks for the order. If there is anything wrong, I'll be happy to make things right.

I received your email requesting an update last week (Sept 30), and sent a reply. In that reply I promised to send a follow up with a copy of the waybill and I sent that last night.

On checking the message/s I've discovered that it replied to the automated email system provided by Big Cartel (the host for my little shop) but not directly to your original email address. I'm not quite sure if this happened because of a change in the way Big Cartel handles/forwards email, or if it was caused by the new smart-phone I used to send the messages. I have replied to these messages many times, and never had this happen. I suspected I made a mistake replying from my new phone, sorry about that.

That said, in the spirit of transparency, I'll just explain here what I said in the misguided email. First, remember that 6-10 days is 6-10 Business Days (a sneaky way for the Post Office to say 1-2 weeks) and that is an average estimate, not a guarantee. However, you are correct, it is taking longer than it should. I get an odd mix with international orders; some arrive surprisingly quickly, while others take much longer.

A customer with an order being shipped to Spain around the same time as yours was also in contact with me because it was taking a long time to arrive. I requested that we give it one more week, and it finally arrived just yesterday (Oct 02). Let's give it until early next week, and if it is not there by Tuesday or Wednesday please contact me. I'll be careful to make sure any future messages sent by my phone are directed properly. Technology, it's wonderful... when it works.

As always, any comments, questions, or concerns, please just ask.

On a completely different note, I attended the Advanced Manufacturing Expo last week. It's a requirement for my program, but I think I might start going every year. I was there last year and it's simply amazing to see all of the things that actually make all of the stuff that surrounds us. Wheels within wheels within wheels; it takes many amazing tools and machines to make the amazing products we enjoy today.

Long story short, I took the opportunity to speak with several local (key word) rapid prototyping companies and I think I've found one that can handle my prototyping needs for The Dark Works. The best part is that I'll support a local business that can also provide excellent turn-around times. If I'm in a rush, I can get components made in as little as 2 days.

The rep I spoke with instantly recognized the process Shapeways used, and explained some things that could be done to improve the part quality if the same process was used again. He also suggested another method that should provide even better surface quality, but it will have a support structure that will need to be removed. Compared to the labour of scratch building, or doing tedious surface preparation on every detail of a component, removing a few support sprews is virtually nothing.

With my usual hectic schedule during the Winter months, I'm not sure what the timeline will be for when I can take advantage of this, but I'm happy to know who to start with when I'm ready. Seeing samples at the expo has me very encouraged that all surface problems will be resolved with the proper 3D prototyping method being used. I'm downright giddy with the idea of giving it a go, but it will need to fit in with my other priorities.

It's so nice to have another piece to the puzzle in place, but with that said, it's back to the grind. So much to do, never enough time!

Dude. Sometimes I'm envious of this thing you've got going for yourself. It must be incredibly inspiring to be so entrenched into a single process (however broad and complicated that one process might), to be able to combine that in itself inspiring thing with your hobby, and to gain experience for a future business model (and I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to make a living with the Dark Works atm) from that combination. Also, I need to cpompliment you again on the way you communicate with your customers and the community here. You're one of the contributors that I think are defining of the nature of our community. Massive kudo's, dude. And thanks for the inspiration! :) :tu: 

SD, have you experimented with the no vacuum silicone rubber? I've used it quite extensively and it really cuts down on both the space required and prep time for making molds. Depending in your pressure chamber, you insert the mold with master into the pressure chamber as if you're casting resin. It gives the rubber a tighter, cleaner surface that may cut down on the surfacing issues on your casts. Edited by Marshal Rohr

Hey,

the package came today, sorry for alarming you, maybe I schould have waited a few days longer! :wink:

Everything is awesome dude! These details are just wow! Such a nice cast!

It fits very well and there are no bubbles or anything similar! (There is one very very tiny "bubble", but when glued you cant see it anymore)

I'm totally gonna order in the near future more of your ridiculous amzing stuff!

I wish you all luck on earth with your studio. :wink:

PS:

Pls dont go to GW :biggrin.:

Edited by Gulliver Dosenwald

Just ordered the Rapiers and both weapons, I'll keep an eye out for the auto cannons if you're making those as well.  I have to say those are superb and money well spent.

Thanks so much for not only making these but also sharing with the community!

*Subtle steps crawls out from the shadow cast by higher learning*

I am now going to have a sleep deprived ramble; I swear, this program will either grind me to dust or temper me into a true tool, perhaps both. While this year hasn't been quite as grueling, it's still a lot of late nights to keep things on track. Everything always takes longer then you plan... everything. But, skooch closer, I'm tired enough to blather a bit about bigger things. *Insert sly expression here*

First, I want to say thanks for the order 40kChris. It has been received but not packed yet; I'm usually quite prompt but... Today was the final presentation for a 6 week long project that is actually aligned with a local design studio (Umbra) and Target. (Yes, that Target) Selected designs will be produced (in the thousands) and sold in Target with credit and royalties going to the designers. With all humility, I think my partner and I have a very good design that has respectable odds of being selected. I always take on every project seriously, but this one was a bit more, and our final design really is that promising. Needless to say, the last week has been a bit... hectic, and it was a holiday weekend here in Canada as well so that added to the crunch. I will have your order packed and off by Friday at the latest. I will also update Legion Rising if my group's hard work paid off, and we're selected for production. It's not Warhammer related in the slightest (we designed a very simple but fun shelf for wall storage) but it does tie in with my emerging reputation as a designer in general, and that has so very much to do with Warhammer and tabletop games in general; more on that in a moment.

I'm happy to hear that everything finally arrived Gulliver; I wasn't worried, if the package didn't arrive I would have just sent another. It's the cost of doing business. Every now-and-then things get lost. But, in the entire time I've been selling (roughly 3 years), I've had very few packages go completely missing. *Subtle chants a small hex of warding against the 'famous last words' daemon* I'm glad the hidden bubbles are noticeable, I try very hard to force what few bubbles there are (100% bubble free is very hard) into places that get hidden during construction.

And don't worry about the idea of me going to GW, they had their chance. I'll explain... *Screen goes fuzzy as a flashback starts* It's funny that you should post that, disease, I didn't even think GW and/or FW made job postings like that; colour me surprised. I'm not exactly sure how I expected they source their talent. Cloning, perhaps? In an alternate dimension I am on a plane flying to the UK to join the FW team; there will always be a little part of me that would love to make the official models - it's why I'm doing what I do with The Dark Works. But, I exist in this dimension. Many years ago, when the hobby landscape was quite different, I actually worked for GW as a red-shirt in retail. I became such a nuisance fixture at the shop that when the opportunity came up I got a job. Now, back then Toronto had its own annual Games Day and a studio that supplied it, a proper Bunker shop with many really nice studio supplied tables, and Canada along with a few other regions were starting to produce regional White Dwarf magazines with local content. (Oh how times have changed) Even then I was producing some rather cool things, just starting to learn the things that I have taken to start my studio. I wanted to work my way up the actual studio and/or White Dwarf team and help promote the hobby by making awesome stuff. Now, two things converged and it was never to be; each by them selves I think I could have compensated for but together... First, I don't do retail sales. No matter what you're selling, it takes a certain type of person to do retail sales. Note: I can sell things, but I can't sell in a retail environment. Anyone who has worked retail knows there are... pressures and... expectations and those who are willing can be quite good at meeting those expectations. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it's the way the dance is done. Now, for GW I was willing to make an exception, especially considering the product and my underlying plan; retail would just be a stepping stone. At the time I had no idea of any other way to make Warhammer a living, and the opportunity to try was there. But then comes the other factor; at that point and time I was coming out of an extremely dark period of my life. The details are unnecessary, but I will say, life is a bitter-sweet mix of good and bad, and both shape and form us, leaving marks on our spirits that define who we are. At that moment, no matter who I was inside or how well I could put on a brave face, recent events had me in a very dark place; I had a very deep wound in my spirit that need time to heal. So, while I was always pleasant and a favorite with the customers and shop veterans, I was maybe a bit too honest with my opinion sometimes (but I stand by those opinions), and I was not as assertive as most good retail sales people are. Given the product and the plan, I think I still could have still made it work, but with the gloom under it all, I just couldn't deliver, and I was let go. Yep, it seems crazy, but GW fired me. (Hey! I think I'm aloud to have a bit of an ego now, with everything I'm doing) At the time, it really sucked. Talk about a motivation killer. At that moment I couldn't have even guessed at what I'm doing today, so my chances of making gaming a living seemed lost to the Warp. Today, I know better. So, things could have been different, and maybe in some other dimension I actually do work for FW. But for now, I'm happy where I am, and can't wait to take things further. Truth be told, even though I love making products to supplement the GW line, I'm not keen on the direction they've taken the company and some of their design philosophies (models are great, but good rules sell models, people; sub-par rules are hurting your bottom line GW!) and I'm not sure I'd have a place there in this dimension or the next. I don't think the sky is falling, but GW is walking a tight line and if they're not careful it could be very bad for them and the hobby in general. For now I'll continue to enjoy and supplement their product line, and hope that they can trim their course a bit in the future to the better of every gamer.

Hummm... Ok, that was a bit... deep. So speaking of further, since we took a bit of a trip back, maybe we want to take look forward?

I keep saying I'm not sure how far I want to take The Dark Works, and this is true; but I do know I plan to try and see what it can become. College will come first, since I like the idea of having a Bachelors degree to leverage if the need arises. I've learned that it is best to have a few plans of action if you can. But once I've got the paper in my hands, then what? At first I was thinking I would go find a more traditional job and start chasing the regular weekly paycheck. The Dark Works would stay active, but would take side stage. But as the end is starting to actually come into sight, and my skill-set continues to expand and start to have a real impact on what I can do... well the whispers from the Warp are starting to get much louder. I've decided I'm going to try make The Dark Works big enough to be sustainable as my main employment. Things are tight in my household, but without the extensive bill for school we should be able to maintain while I ramp things up.  One of my biggest hurdles is going to be finding some like-minded people who are local to help; I'm already reaching the limits of my two hands, I can optimizes, but I will need more skilled labour at some point. There is a massive pool of talent that I can turn to online, but that can't help me with my in-house casting for example. For this I have devised a plan and it even lets me finally indulge in properly finishing my army. When college is finished I'm going to take a modest break to turn my focus to really finalizing my army and several projects that have been begging for attention for far too long. All of the creative energy and hours of labour I intended for my army was absorbed by my studio (not a bad thing, but true) and I want to change that. Some studio work should proceed along side, but the time will be primarily to get the force up to raiding strength. It will naturally make for a showcase of my own work, a great backdrop for studio images, and a source for some articles I want to write; but it will also permit me to actually start *gasp* actually gaming again. I'm hoping to play like the actual Black Legion at first and just arrive unexpectedly with a force that should provide just a bit of shock and awe. Once I can start finding some games and learning where to find some of the better/larger groups I want to also use the opportunity as a recruiting tool. There has to be a few creative gamers in this vast city who have the right skills to aid me in my bid for expansion, but it will have to be the right mix of skill, attitude, and personality. A tall order, and an interesting... lets call it a social experiment, that I hope can find the right people to help me do more of what I do and what I want to do. By gamers for gamers. Because you see, I think I want take my desire to make a really great gaming table and turn it in to a product, as it were. While I want to keep producing unique conversion kits and select models, I don't think I want emulate what many other studios are already doing and start doing head and weapon swaps, and other small bits like that. So many others are already doing that, and some very well. I want to start by making great scenery and tabletop items, and then evolve it to the entire table itself. I'm willing to bet there are plenty of people who would like some amazing scenery, and some who would want an entire 'table in a box', as it were. It might even be able to have a pre-painted option, but anything is possible when you're thinking this far out. It could even be an actual gaming shop where it's the scenery and tables (play tables are demos) on sale, not the games for them. I think I can create something great for local gamers, but with the power of the internet also provide amazing products for the community at large. This might be a bit to ambitious, but I have a good feeling there's something to this concept/idea.

*Subtle Stops, and stares at the wall of sleep deprive text*

Oops. See what happens when I listen to the whispers and write it all? If you're still reading, well done. *Hands you a cookie*

Hehe... yeah, so you see Chaos has placed me on a path that I must walk. I am still uncertain of the final destination, and there will be several forks where I will be forced to choose, but I'm starting to get a very good feeling that I'm going to enjoy the journey. For now, this is just the different whispers from the Warp suggesting one of many paths, but this idea has been sticking with me, so it might have some life to it. The whispers have brought me this far...

*Subtle wanders off to find a bed to fall on*

Should have topped up my wine glass before committing to read that!

Really insightful, I only wish the Dark Works the best fortune and success. Looking forward to what you come up with - especially the non 'spikey' upgrade kits.

Kind of echoing tentagee, whilst reading I too had wondered if you would make compete models / vehicles (although I was thinking in the 40/30k universes). So I was surprised when you mentioned terrain and tables. It's different, I'll give you that :)

Completely agree that rules sell models and GW are going down a certain path, but that's another conversation in itself.

Heh... it's funny. I got a good night's sleep, but I don't think my body believes it. Still feel somewhat out-of-body. In this program you get very used to working in a fatigued state, it just becomes a discomfort you need to push past. When you finally rest up it feels abnormal, if that makes sense.

Forgot to mention in my last post, yes, the Chaos Autcacnnon is on deck, but with the new 3D prototyper in the wings, I think I want to do a range of 'fix' bits and that will require a bit of time to setup in the 3D files and the relationship with the new company. Shapeways has a very hands-off arrangement that is convenient, but very un-intuitive and very slow. The new company will require more direct communication, to get things started at the very least, and that's going to take a bit of time that just hasn't existed the last while. I get a long mid-winter break, and I plan to make good use of it, but I'll also be getting things aligned in preparation. Please Stand By...

Even if I do end up seeing the scenery and table idea/s through, by no means does that mean I'll stop doing other kits, complete models, or even other gaming gear in general. Heck, the counts-as Rapier chassis is a complete model, and just a starter model to test just what's possible. There are many little things in that model that were seeing just how well I could mould things like undercuts and certain details. While nothing was a failure in these tests, I did learn several things that will refine my model making in the future. The problem with doing full models that directly compete with those offered by GW/FW are two fold. The first is the obvious IP issue, and trying to tread very carefully so as to not bite the hand that's feeding me. GW's stature and success in the tabletop gaming world are what I'm benefiting from, and I want to compliment their product line, not directly compete. Second is just the idea of making a broad range of unofficial model replacements for an official game seems very counter intuitive; don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal and understand why more variety would be cool, but I think there are more unique projects that I can do that will either fill gaps in GWs offerings, and/or stand on their own.

Now, taking it even further and doing an entire game with models, where all the sticky IP is not an issue? Of course that is one of many ideas I've considered, but I also instantly recognize that it would be another undertaking entirely that would have so much more involved on so many other levels. It's one thing to supplement something, and another altogether to create the whole thing. I'm totally open to the idea, but it's not something I would even be modestly equipped for and it would require well... more... of... everything, on what I would consider a massive scale. Granted, in my college program I'm learning much about mass production, so I feel that maybe it actually could be possible, but again, something that would take the right group, the right idea, and the right plan. I also worry that my love for 40k would taint a personal project of this nature to the point that it would be too much of a 40k knock-off. GW really has created an awesome visual design language for their universe that is just such a wonderful mix of Gothic, sci-fi, and fantasy that is just so damn appealing. I could only do something that would strike the same chord. I'm not a fan of any of the new crop of smaller table games for the very reason of design; I'm just not into the anime inspired look that most have. I would want to make MadMax + Bladerunner + Aliens = My Game. Dark, dirty, gritty, plausible, but still fantastical. Oh, but where to start? I'm not saying No, but I can't say Yes either. I think I would have to be approached by someone/thing that already had a realistic foundation and plan that was really looking at something of this scope with the right mindset before I would jump into something with two feet.

I really wish that GW would get their collective heads out of their :censored: and recognize that the quality of the rules that support the miniatures, along with fostering the gaming community, really is critical to their survival. If they are not careful they will die to a thousand cuts inflicted by many competitors who have not lost sight of these things. GW truly have an industry leading model making ability that can not be touched (yet) by their closest competition; seriously, what they do with injected polystyrene really is phenomenal when you start to learn the process in more depth. There is tons of expensive trial-and-error that needs to be done to dial the process in as tightly as they have. Creating the casting dies is expensive and time consuming, and the fact that they are doing them on such a short release timeline is almost hard to believe. The problem is, it really is super expensive and if they keep loosing sales and market share, they won't be able to maintain the pipeline, no matter how wonderful the works of art that it's producing are. And they really are practically high manufacturing art at this point.

Renewed support for creating great rules and supporting the community could create a real renaissance in gaming that GW could really capitalize on. The quality of the product that they produce (and they're damn proud and happy to gloat about) deserves the same well crafted, high-quality, well-balanced rules. If you're going to charge me $100+ for a rule book, and then slap me in the face by essentially saying "But it's the collectors we really service, the models are the main priority, and the rules are not nearly as important, but thanks for your money", even as a serious modeler and collector, I'm insulted. Gaming really is at a precarious point in its evolution with so many forms of entertainment and distraction available, if your product isn't very polished on on every level, you're handicapping the product; this is such a great product to be handicapped in such a sad way that makes no sense. Don't worry GW, being known as a Games Company is not something you should be ashamed of if your product is as amazing as yours. Does it really matter if sales are at stake? Harming your business in an effort to create and maintain the persona of a sophisticated model making company for what seems to be the sake of ego, really does seem like obviously poor business planning. Naturally, this is all from my completely isolated bubble of reality, and this is just my humble opinion.

So yeah, bigger and better for sure coming in the future. Nothing at all is set in stone and things could (most likely will, in some way) change over the coming months and years, but something will mutate and evolve from The Dark Works, and time will tell exactly what it is. Thanks as always for the kind words, well wishes, and positive energy. I'm always open to ideas and input. I can't always comment in depth about everything that is mentioned or brought up, but I do take it all in and add it to the mix of ideas and inspiration. It's getting a bit noisy in my brain with all the whispers taunting me, but the ideas and inspirations are so good, I think I can enjoy it for now. :smile.:

Wow... so much for a quick post. I sure do have a knack for creating a wall-o-text. Thanks for reading.

Ok, I just wanted to do a quick post to comment on an overlooked question and a few other things.

First, on the subject of suggestions. And I'm sure this will get lost for many in the middle of all of the walls-o-text, but for those who do read this, please; input and ideas are wonderful and they are all appreciated and absorbed, as it were. But please try to remember that I can't directly replicate iconic GW IP in the slightest. Even a half buried destroyed Rhino, is a Rhino. I would love to do wrecked Rhinos, burnt out Land Raiders, crashed Falcons, splintered Monoliths, but I just can't do it for production and sale. Now, a modular piece of scenery that could accept an old Rhino model so the builder could create it themselves? <~ Good idea! Ideas that are 'grim dark' but outside the realm of directly copying a piece of GW IP will always be of more use to me. The 40k universe has a very distinct 'design language', and you can take elements of that language and apply them to models to make them blend and 'feel right' beside official kits. That's what I always aim to do.

Now, to extend this conversation a bit, and give an example of where I bend, but do not break, this rule, lets look at the counts-as Rapier platform that I made recently. This model is absolutely inspired by the original/official Rapier that it is meant to represent on the table. However, beyond a similar silhouette and footprint, I have taken care to significantly change many details (while trying to retain the 40k 'language') and add very distinctive changes in the armour plating and trimming. To take it even further, the weapons that complete these platforms are completely conceived and designed by me; again, certain base design elements are use to make the items 'feel' 40k and fit in on the table, but nothing is a direct copy and many elements are deliberately very original to further the distinction. Also, it might not be obvious, but my kit does assemble slightly differently and purposely uses magnets, a completely unique feature. I kit such as this is the absolute closest I will get to copying a GW design, and it will always be inspired by the original before having a significant changes to many/most/all of the design elements to make it unique to The Dark Works.

It is always an interesting grey area that I'm happy to debate about with potential customers and readers. I can easily see why some people might see it as taking it too far and being a type of theft, but if memory serves correctly, this is exactly how Forge World started before becoming official; making really great kits for Warhammer that didn't exist yet. As an independent producer I really do try to show respect, tread carefully, and supplement the GW product line, not directly supplant their products. I still wish there was a way I could be '=]GW Sanctioned[=' without losing creative control. I'd love to blend my work further with GWs kits, but I think I have a good sense how far I can take it.

Yes, I have used low viscosity 'no bubble' RTV rubber for making moulds. It's an amazing product for what it does, and it's great for the hobbyist who wants to cast economically. However it's not really suited for larger production. Rubbers with a thin pouring characteristic tend to be much softer when cured and will have a much shorter life as they tend to tear or split after even moderate use. Outside of hobby applications, with amount of labour and resources that go into a mould (designing, prototyping, prepping, moulding) saving a literally few minutes to degas superior RTV rubber for long-life moulds isn't worth it.

For some time I used to rely on just pressure for bubble removal. I have pressure cured all of my moulds from day one, but never used the Vacuum chamber because it seemed to be enough for the job. Until... I made a very straight forward, but large, production mould one day and for some reason it was riddled with bubbles. So many that there were plenty close enough to the surface of the object that they cause all manner of defects. To this day I don't know why the rubber, that had made so many other moulds bubble-free with this method, suddenly acted this way. And I don't care; I now vacuum degas all rubber before pouring. It takes 2 minutes tops, and since it makes the rubber literally boil it actually has the added benefit of giving it one last mix to ensure it's well blended. For a hobbyist, it's an expensive investment that isn't really necessary, for me it's a smart business choice that is all but essential to making top quality product.

I would have thought the "I can't copy GW stuff and sell it" thing was obvious. So... ideas that don't directly infringe on GW IP? How about some better building scenery, or maybe even new walls, doors, etc, that can work with existing GW scenery kits to add more variety.

• 2 weeks later...