Stuff like this would be awesome

if you were to say Build wrecked pieces of terrain you could do everything but add the Rhino or Land Raider giving the foot print would be awesome.

Or say a line of debris with stakes helms etc where all the builder has to do is add razor wire around said stakes and becomes dark and grim.

or another idea I think people don't do enough of is mid battle explosions like a crater Piece with the explosion happening on impact.

Or sections of minefields and tank traps ohh my.

even a gun post minus Weapons would be awesome if it's got details like sand bags ammo hoppers shells etc.

I for one support anyone who goes to that effort to add to any modular gaming board

I think if you produced sponson weapon plates with the detailing of loricatus panels that'd be a pretty big deal.   I personally hate the flimsy plates for lascannon sponsons on traditional lascannon landraiders; the option of jazzing them up would be incredible.

Likewise, maybe mural/fresco panels for kits like the fire raptor and other "relics" for some decorative options for chapters like the blood angels would likely sell well.  As would generic decorations like circular dias' for chapter symbols that could be glued onto doors, wings, assault ramps, etc.

I agree with the good Chaplain about pseudo-generic accessories that can jazz up kits like Storm Ravens, Drop Pods, etc. Door panels, rondels, plates where chapter badges would go, scrolls... Besides that, terrain is absolutely a great idea. I don't know about the explosion though, since it'll be on the battlefield the entire time.

I like the idea that you could move away from pieces for specific kits and make things that work for a range of things.

• 2 weeks later...

*Subtle tosses an image out from under the rock of higher education*

Sometimes, I get free choice in what I can do for a college project, and since I do so many 'consumer items' most of the time, I like to have a chance to do something unique but still relevant. This time I was allowed to do this for my Solidworks course.

mfU7dOn.png

At this point all I can say is... It's a solid! It's a SOLID! It turns out that making a Solid Body from Surfaces is actually a little tricky. This damn helmet has been hard, but I'm starting to get it!

Unlike everything I've 3D modeled up to this point, this was done almost completely with Lofted and Swept Surfaces, not Solid Bodies. By using a Surface and then Knitting the resulting form together you can much get more control over complex forms. This helmet was created from a set of 2D drawings (Top, Side, and Front) that were extrapolated from the flat drawings. Needless to say, It's given me a respect for what surfaces can do, and being only my first try, I can already tell that with more practice I should be able to do all sorts of interesting forms. My future Jetbike project will be even better now that I have a better idea of how this works.

There are a few more layers of detailing that will go on this helmet before it needs to be rendered, but I'm pleased with the progress. I'll be sure to show it again when it's even further along and/or finished. Maybe someday I'll re-scale it (it's roughly life-size at this point) and have it rapid prorotyped so I can paint it as a bust. I could never sell it, but as a personal piece, I could make one.

But for now, I have to put this aside while I shift focus to another project. ~21 days until Winter Break...

Edited by Subtle Discord
+++ Image Data-link ∙ Repair +++

• 3 weeks later...

Cool update, SD! I always enjoy the little windows in your mind you give us, and show us your learning curve and experiences. :smile.: The helmet looks great. I wonder - have you considered giving the horns some more interesting surfaces, like the rings we usually see on the horns adorning CSM helmets and armour? Perhaps you have and found it too much work, or even impossible. It'd be (even more) interesting to me if you tried and decided against it. I'd love to hear why, what happened etc. I'm asking purely out of curiosity in your thought and work processes - what problems did you come across and how did you deal with them? How creators' minds work is a fascination of mine.... :thumbsup::biggrin.:

Also, I second JeffJedi's idea there!

Editted to make my question better formulated.

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Ok, I just wanted to do a quick post to comment on an overlooked question and a few other things.

First, on the subject of suggestions. And I'm sure this will get lost for many in the middle of all of the walls-o-text, but for those who do read this, please; input and ideas are wonderful and they are all appreciated and absorbed, as it were. But please try to remember that I can't directly replicate iconic GW IP in the slightest. Even a half buried destroyed Rhino, is a Rhino. I would love to do wrecked Rhinos, burnt out Land Raiders, crashed Falcons, splintered Monoliths, but I just can't do it for production and sale. Now, a modular piece of scenery that could accept an old Rhino model so the builder could create it themselves? <~ Good idea! Ideas that are 'grim dark' but outside the realm of directly copying a piece of GW IP will always be of more use to me. The 40k universe has a very distinct 'design language', and you can take elements of that language and apply them to models to make them blend and 'feel right' beside official kits. That's what I always aim to do.

Now, to extend this conversation a bit, and give an example of where I bend, but do not break, this rule, lets look at the counts-as Rapier platform that I made recently. This model is absolutely inspired by the original/official Rapier that it is meant to represent on the table. However, beyond a similar silhouette and footprint, I have taken care to significantly change many details (while trying to retain the 40k 'language') and add very distinctive changes in the armour plating and trimming. To take it even further, the weapons that complete these platforms are completely conceived and designed by me; again, certain base design elements are use to make the items 'feel' 40k and fit in on the table, but nothing is a direct copy and many elements are deliberately very original to further the distinction. Also, it might not be obvious, but my kit does assemble slightly differently and purposely uses magnets, a completely unique feature. I kit such as this is the absolute closest I will get to copying a GW design, and it will always be inspired by the original before having a significant changes to many/most/all of the design elements to make it unique to The Dark Works.

It is always an interesting grey area that I'm happy to debate about with potential customers and readers. I can easily see why some people might see it as taking it too far and being a type of theft, but if memory serves correctly, this is exactly how Forge World started before becoming official; making really great kits for Warhammer that didn't exist yet. As an independent producer I really do try to show respect, tread carefully, and supplement the GW product line, not directly supplant their products. I still wish there was a way I could be '=]GW Sanctioned[=' without losing creative control. I'd love to blend my work further with GWs kits, but I think I have a good sense how far I can take it.

Yes, I have used low viscosity 'no bubble' RTV rubber for making moulds. It's an amazing product for what it does, and it's great for the hobbyist who wants to cast economically. However it's not really suited for larger production. Rubbers with a thin pouring characteristic tend to be much softer when cured and will have a much shorter life as they tend to tear or split after even moderate use. Outside of hobby applications, with amount of labour and resources that go into a mould (designing, prototyping, prepping, moulding) saving a literally few minutes to degas superior RTV rubber for long-life moulds isn't worth it.

For some time I used to rely on just pressure for bubble removal. I have pressure cured all of my moulds from day one, but never used the Vacuum chamber because it seemed to be enough for the job. Until... I made a very straight forward, but large, production mould one day and for some reason it was riddled with bubbles. So many that there were plenty close enough to the surface of the object that they cause all manner of defects. To this day I don't know why the rubber, that had made so many other moulds bubble-free with this method, suddenly acted this way. And I don't care; I now vacuum degas all rubber before pouring. It takes 2 minutes tops, and since it makes the rubber literally boil it actually has the added benefit of giving it one last mix to ensure it's well blended. For a hobbyist, it's an expensive investment that isn't really necessary, for me it's a smart business choice that is all but essential to making top quality product.

I guess I should switch silicone then :) . Vacuum chambers are easy enough to make.

*Subtle grits his teeth and writes quickly*

You amazing people! You make it so hard to concentrate! Especially when I'm grinding through projects that are less then enjoyable. But, I'll admit, I've learned more than a few things about the world and myself. It's kinda' funny, it turns out, politically speaking, I really am a Heretic with many of my points-of-view. *Shrugs and tries to look innocent* However, that's a story for another time.

For now, know that I have several things I want to talk about, and some build logs I want to show. The Sicaran is all but done (Ready for a fitting for some Armour, I do think!) and documented along the way; and I have many photos of the trials (How can such a beautiful kit be so... ugly, under the surface?) I've had with the Fire Raptor. While far from finished, the Raptor's main hull is built, and that's saying something! I'll comment directly to many posts and toss out whatever the voices in my head say should be documented as soon as time permits.

*Wanders off in a higher learning induced shell shock*

Edit: I'll try to get a screenshot of the Chaos Helmet in the next day-or-two. It's build needs to be done by tomorrow, so it's very close to finished... and looking quite good if I do say so myself. Much more on this in a bit...

Edited by Subtle Discord

Definitely looking forward to what you are producing next. I'm currently about 1/3 done in getting your rapier kit painted. Kit assembly went together great, better than the Forgeworld Rapier in Fact. I'll post some pictures when I finish. 

I'm giving my Fire Raptor the same look you're talking about. As far as armor for that, have you given it any thought? I know that your Land Raider armor kit needs to be attached before the Sponsons, are you thinking that you'll be doing any similar thing with the Fire Raptor? Any parts that I should leave unglued? 

I should be sleeping, but I just can't help myself. I've started putting some colour to the Chaos Marine Helmet that I've made in Solidworks, and as promised I wanted to show how it's turning out. Some smaller details still need their final colours added, there's enough here to give a good overall impression. But first, because there was a bit of curiosity about the methods behind something like this, a quick snapshot of the process...

HWQEWj1.png
Like the magic of TV, see 40+ hours of labour edited down into 6 little snapshots. A very distilled step-by-step of the construction.

1) A few simple but carefully constructed Surface Lofts are used to create the base form. Getting these right is key to the final shape of any complex form, so you have to be very particular.
2) The initial surfaces are used directly and as a jumping-off point to offset the surfaces that will make up the final shape of the helmet. Other more straightforward shapes are also added to build up the overall general form.
3) Final major details are added and surfaces are created and stitched together. The aim here is to get a majority of half of the main components; you want something that will be reasonably low detail and easy to stitch closed once it's mirrored.
4) The collection of surface bodies is mirrored across the center. The nose was very annoying because it was formed from an offset surface that created a bit of a ridge, so it required a gap that needed to be bridged to get a proper seamless transition.
5) The shell is closed and knit into a solid body. Starting major detail elements are added.
6) Details. Details. Details. All of the smaller details are then worked into the model area-by-area. More time = more detail. While I was forced to stop at this point, I had plans for a few more layers of detail, but there wasn't enough time. However, if I do consider it, I might start again and fix some other base elements now that I have a better understanding of how to do this. The 'chin' and side profile needs some refining, I feel.

The horns are another place that I was hoping to have more time to explore, but again in the interest of getting this done in a reasonable amount of time, they had to remain smooth. With more time I'm sure I could make them a bit more authentic, but the time just wasn't there. However, I now know that my understanding of everything I learned in this project is going to be the basis of future curved and organic designs in a big way. While still useful for more traditional mechanical builds, muscles, tentacles, horns, spines, embossed runes and markings, and all sorts of other ideas come to mind; these methods open the door to much more inserting forms for future Dark Works kits that will be much more 'warp touched' and what I hope will be something industrial-daemonic; something inspired by the nightmare creations of Guita Rasmus me thinks. I'm still not sure just what should be my first subject at something like I have in mind, but that's another story for another time; they'll come crawling out of my brain when the time is right.

agAGirs.png
The re-breather pipes are done in rubber for a bit of added material variety. The front grill protects the Vox and breather vent.

So far only major surfaces have colour, so all of the smaller details are still in progress. I'll be sure to show it when it's 100% finished. In fact, I still need to find a suitable (hopefully) photo-realistic backdrop to place it in for the project. It's the one bit I've been quietly dreading. Real-world products can be placed in a scene somewhat easier, but this is a bit more challenging. While it looks great, it's just a little too clean for most 40k settings. Oh well, I'll figure something out.

kWB63yU.png

Under the side panel, I tried to do a take on an Audio Amplifier and a replaceable re-breather filter. Behind the back panel is the Comms Receiver/Transmitter.

I think the horns also need a bit more tweaking of their colour. I want to do something a little different than brown or ivory, so I was trying for a smoke blue. It seems a bit too robins egg blue right now, so I think they need to be a nudge darker. With several more things to detail and more than a few adjustments to make I'll have a chance to adjust them some. I hope to be able to add even a little bit of weathering as a final detail. Even just a bit of chipping in some strategic locations would help make this feel not so showroom fresh. But I guess every piece of gear has to be new once.

Ok, enough rambling for now, off to bed.

Much more, coming soon...'ish.

Edited by Subtle Discord
+++ Image Data-link ∙ Repair +++

Holy... That looks way different in color (and texture). The gloss makes me think more Star Wars and less 40K, but I'll withhold judgment until I see how you grunge it up. I've been enjoying a lot of the texture and shader work in Fallout 4. It's amazing how much the right orange-peel paint finish can make something look believable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...