Thanks! Good eyes. I'm glad the kit-bashing is noticeable even in the tightly cropped teaser image. Initially, I was considering something different but this 'bash came together so well that I figured it was pointless to try and go against the flow. It's still very much a work in progress, with the final resolution of some details that still need to be figured out, but it's about 90% there.rG0dAj5.png

++++++++

++

Comm-Link ‧ Active

++++

+++++++

Downlink… Complete

+++++

++++++++

+++++

Data Results ‧ Compiling

++++++

Future Schedule ‧ Assessing

+++++++++

Production Quotas ‧ Collating

++++

Data Collation ‧ Ongoing…

+++

+++++

(Damn, I expected this update to happen much faster)

+++

+++++

+++++++

Preliminary Data Assessment Displaying…

++++

This is more of a partial business plan than a refined pitch for a crowdfunding drive, and a work in progress, but all of the information overlaps and it will be a matter of presentation really; forever the over-thinker, I’d rather overdo this for now and I’ll work to slim down the text and add in many images to illustrate what has been done in the past and what the studio is capable of today. I don’t have the ability to do concept sketches for future ideas for now but I think I can make a good pitch with my body of work so far.

+++++

The Dark Works

“We like the dark... Dark for dark business! There are many hours before dawn.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien ~ The Hobbit

Hello there, my name is Peter Lindblad (Aka: Subtle Discord) and welcome to my hobby, my muse, my obsession, and some might say my insanity, but I promise it’s only in the best possible way. I’ve been a scale model builder all my life and that’s a big reason why I quickly became hooked on tabletop gaming and Warhammer 40,000 in particular after picking up a copy of Rogue Trader many years ago. Build and paint amazing models and miniatures that can then be used in a strategy game? Now that’s my kind of hobby! I completely respect that it’s not for everyone but for someone like me it’s a perfect fit.

As I became more skilled at scratch building and combining it with my hobby builds I started showing my personal projects online back in 2011. What started with a hobby building, converting, and painting plastic toy soldiers gradually evolved and changed into a very modest miniature design and manufacturing studio while I attended college studying Industrial Design. During the school year the studio would go dormant and during the summer months, I would produce what I could to cover costs and make careful investments in materials and equipment. As I improved my understand and execution of the production process what seemed like an interesting part-time side project grew to become something I’m now determined to turn into a full-time model and miniature design and manufacturing studio. I have the foundation in place but now I need some help to continue to build upon what I have started.

S.W.O.T. Analysis:

Strengths (Internal)

- I hold a Bachelor’s Degree (with honours) in Industrial Design; I know how to make ideas a reality while also understand the real challenges involved

- Over 25 years involved in tabletop gaming, building, painting, and playing

- Over 15 years experience practical model building (scratch building) for gaming

- Over 5 years experience with digital 3D modeling

- Over 5 years refining and perfecting the studio’s entire production process

- The Dark Works has complete control over the entire production process; concept creation, 3D modeling, 3D printing, mould creation, and resin casting are all done in-studio and currently, there are no plans to outsource any part of the process unless strict quality control can be maintained

- The studio is dedicated to creating only the highest quality model kits at a small-to-medium scale of production, the studio will always strive for quality before quantity

Weaknesses (Internal)

- The Dark Works is currently the creation of one person limiting available labour

- Somewhat limited space for expansion will require a solution at a future date

- While the studio currently possesses all of the equipment needed for full production, from concept to casting, it is still limited in its production capacity

- Although most kinks and potential problems have been worked out of the manufacturing process the studio is certain that there will be unknown production challenges in the future that will need to be solved

Opportunities (External)

- Located in the suburbs of Toronto Canada (4th largest city in North America) the studio enjoys access to a huge population of talent for future growth

- The Dark Works firmly believes that the studio can produce some of the highest quality resin model kits on the market; with thoughtful and unique designs, top quality casting master prototypes, precision two-part moulds, and attention to detail during the casting process, the studio is confident in the quality that can be achieved for the customer

- The studio currently creates casually written articles that showcase personal projects, studio projects, and tutorials for fellow hobbyists; in the interest of transparency and communication the studio plans on continuing to improve and expanding on this kind of content creation in an effort to be informative, instructive, and entertaining for customers and the entire hobby community

Threats (External)

- The Dark Works will not be entering an empty marketplace and will need to prove itself against other studios with more experience and name recognition

- The studio understands that there is still much to learn about operating this business full-time, and most of it is still an unknown

- The studio produces a niche luxury product that has a limited market size and the purchasing power of this market is easily affected by larger economic factors

- Too many ideas and not enough time; a symptom of where the studio currently finds itself there is simply too much work to be done and not enough time to do it all without investment in more materials, equipment, and eventually skilled talent

Product Offering

While rather broad, this is meant to be a general starting overview and not necessarily an exhaustive list of every idea the studio would like to pursue; as work progresses the studio plans to have this list evolve and change as projects are completed and new ones added. Initial products will focus on Imperial, Renegade/Autonomous, and Chaos factions before expanding to Adeptus Mechanicus and Dark Mechanicus. Xenos and other outlying factions will then be considered at the appropriate time in the future.

It should be noted that the studio recognizes the reality of Intellectual Property rights, and while it will strive to make models and miniatures that emulate and blend with the design language of the Warhammer 40,000 setting, The Dark Works absolutely respects the legal rights of Games Workshop. The studio has no interest in creating blatant copies of anything produced by Games Workshop or any other independent studio and will strive to create unique, original, compelling kits that stand on their own merits.

Additionally, it should be reasonably obvious that each concept brings with it different challenges; put simply, some ideas will be more straightforward to design and produce compared to others. The Dark Works is committed to trying to make all of these and future ideas a reality, but some will be easier to create than others, and there is no absolute guarantee that every single one will be produced. Concepts that garner more public interest will take priority to be developed sooner/faster over ideas that don’t.

Where the opportunity presents itself, products are intended to be done in a range of styles:

Imperial – Clean lines, surfaces, and details suited to a wide range of traditional Imperial forces

Specialty – A ranging of more elaborate, elegant, and decorative styles for more unique units/forces

Renegade – Design style intended for autonomous, outcast, stranded, pirate, and renegade forces

Chaos – Overtly Chaos style, ranging from ornate/decorative to warp-touched and mutated/possessed

M.A.S. – Modular Assembly System; many kits will be created with modular components that will provide different assembly options; rather difficult to describe in words, the studio has some interesting ideas for this concept as time progresses and the fi

Terrain:

Battlefield Scenery and Debris (Smaller scale)

Barrels, Crates, Barbed Wire, Barricades, Defense Lines, Dragon’s Teeth, Markers, Objectives, Etc.

Battlefield Scenery (Medium-to-Large scale)

Bunkers, Buildings, Factories, Refineries, Cranes, Gantries, Defensive/Offensive Works, Etc. Intended to create stand-alone kits while also being compatible with Games Workshop Scenery models in appearance and fit; also, many opportunities to integrate light, smoke, and sound effects.

Terrain Detailing Kits

Armour Plates, Doors & Windows, Vents, Grates & Grills, Turbines & Fans, Pipes & Hoses, Valves, Stairs & Ladders, Railings,  Etc.; build a simple structure and use these kits to add all manner of details to complete the creation

Vehicles:

Chimera, Taurox, Leman Russ, Baneblade, Goliath Truck, Rhino, Predator, Vindicator, Land Raider, Sicaran, Spartan, Repulsor, Etc.

General Kits: Tracks, Trims, Armour Plating, ‘Dozer Blades, Gear & Gubbins, Weapon Systems, Turrets, Sponsons, Etc.

Specialty Projects: Conversion kits to change Chimera/Baneblade/Rhino/Repulsor into Recovery Vehicles; conversion kits to change the Baneblade into a war shrine; conversion kits to change Goliath Truck into a Mobile Artillery Platform; potential additional ideas to be added…

Stormraven, Storm Eagle, Fire Raptor

General Kits: Trims, Armour Plating, Gear & Gubbins, Weapon Systems, Sponsons, Control Surfaces, Etc.

Specialty Projects: Conversion kit to extend the Stormraven hull and/or alter the tail; conversion kit to create an alternate counts-as Storm Eagle model; conversion kit to create an alternate counts-as Fire Raptor model; potential additional ideas to be added…

Armigers, Knights, & Castellan/Valiant

Design specifically for the range of Knight models produced by Games Workshop, this will include a selection of Heads, Armour Plates, Ranged Weapons, Combat Weapons, and alternative components to detail knights in a variety of themes and styles.

Mechanical/Bio-mechanical Construct Kits & Dreadnaughts

As an extension of the Knight design concepts; biped, tri-ped, quadruped, leg conversion kits. Unique arms and other appendages. Heads, torsos, and power plants. Ranged weapon systems, close-combat weapons, sensors, gubbins, and other gear. Intended to be done in a range of sizes, these kits will overlap with some of the Knight offerings; however, these components will be able to be used with existing Game Workshop models as conversion kits, as well as being assembled together independently to create completely unique Mechanical Constructs. Bio-mechanical

Bikes and Jet-bikes

The Dark Works can make something Standalone kits to provide a range of alternative Bikes, Half-tracks, Jet-bikes, and potentially other more exotic mounts, that are mechanical, biological, and perhaps a fusion of both. Kits will include mounted legs and hands gripping controls to aid in the building/converting process.

Weapon Platforms

A range of self-propelled Weapon Platforms that will include tracked, walking, and anti-gravity model concepts. These should include self-contained kits that will build complete models and conversion kits intended for use with existing Games Workshop models.

It is planned to have these kits be a precursor to larger complete armoured vehicle models. Due to their smaller size, it will be more reasonable to start with these kits before moving to larger model designs that will require more time and resources to take the concepts to full production.

General Purpose Trim Kits & Detailing

Not every Games Workshop model lends itself to custom-made Trim Kits that will be a range of signature products produced by The Dark Works. For builders who want to add such detailing to models that won’t receive custom kits, the studio will be producing Bulk Trim Kits and other Detailing Kits that will provide a selection of long lengths of trim and other detailing packages.

This will begin with trims of metal banding and rivets in various styles to suit different themes and styles, but the studio plans to expand the selection to include a range of other detailing options; such as, strips of tentacles, rows of spines and teeth, lengths of pelts or skins, totems, runes and arcane symbols, trinkets, bones and skulls, tabards, banners and relics of campaigns past, etc. etc.. Packs of loose components will also be added to provide builders control over placement. The studio already has plans forming for a large selection and there is no doubt more ideas will arise as time progresses.

Infantry:

While many studios are producing a wide range of alternative weapons, heads, torsos, arms, legs, and complete models, The Dark Works recognizes an opportunity to produce unique versions of these kinds of components that can fill gaps in the selection that’s currently available. While the starting focus will be on vehicle and terrain kits, future efforts of the studio will explore Infantry scale components and complete model kits. Because this area of the market is already quite competitive the studio wants to focus on the selection outlined before turning attention towards infantry.

+++++

So, this is a rough draft of me trying to spitball an overview of my short-to-medium term goals for the studio, but I can tell right now that this list is huge and it’s likely going to take much longer than I expect. I still need to figure out just how I want to structure the crowdfunding, the compensation for those willing to invest, and several other things I’m sure. I just wanted to post it up for anyone willing to read it, and perhaps those who may be more business savvy could offer any input or insight that might serve me well.

Ugh… I hate writing stuff like this. It’s like a damn resume on steroids, and this still lacks any proper market research. *sigh* Yeah, I prefer to make things, not write about how I’m confident in my ability to make things. I’m happy to write a tutorial or a process overview, but it’s so different to try to sell the process to a reader.

Oh well, thanks for reading (If you’ve actually made it this far), feedback and input are welcome, but I understand totally if it’s not the most reply-worthy post. Some writing from the workbench, with pictures, will be returning soon enough. Cheers!

I think that’s a pretty good presentation, myself. Just to throw an idea onto the pile, though: I remember reading that one of the biggest problems for Chapterhouse during the GW lawsuit was that they were using explicit terms from Games Workshop intellectual property. I’ve noticed many other manufacturers will skirt this by creating serial-numbers-filed-off versions of the major factions, a la Puppetswar or Vanguard, as well as saying products are compatible with “major miniatures lines” or similar. Do you anticipte this being a problem, or have you considered doing something similar? With how much I adore your work, I’d hate to see it get shut down simply over something like product names. Edited by Naryn

Superb plan and some very exciting prospects there! Looking forward to seeing things develop.

I think you are probably treading the right line as to GW IP - avoiding names and obvious symbols. I think Pop Goes the Monkey got stung for some pretty blatant copies of existing GW products. Luckily there really isn't a trim line going; the waters may be a little muddier when it comes to conversion kits, but I guess they are there to supplement not compete....

I have absolute faith in your ability to assess and analyse your strengths and weaknesses. That being said, I think your should plan on getting at least one employee within a year. If you don't your studio will not be able to grow so fast that you can sustain yourself and it at the same time. 

A well written post and I fully agree with it.

One part that really stuck out to me was where you said you wanted to deliver a premium product, and I think with your experience with CAD, access to a truly amazing 3d printer, and experience with casting resin I really think you can pull off something that is of good quality and fit. On top of that I think you're one of the few people who can properly integrate their designs with the GW design language. That last part is what really sets you apart and I hope you can keep doing it without GW cracking down on you.

If you'd ever want to collaborate on designs I'm 100% down. We've already collaborated on Augustus's awesome Land Raider.

IMO the stormraven extension kit could be good for one of the first projects. Seems like since chapterhouse disappeared that particular item isn’t available from anyone. Seems popular enough to be worthwhile. Just food for thought.

Odd, looking over what I posted there are some strange cut-offs that seem to be from a previous version; while nothing major, it looks like it lost a bit of text. Thanks all for the feedback and support. To comment on the mains points brought up...

I'm in a bit of a catch-22 with employing someone. First, I need to find the Right someone. Best case scenario, I don't want to just hire someone for raw labour, I want to find a fellow gamer (and in the future, gamers) who is willing to be more than just employed. I'm fine with simply hiring someone if push comes to shove, but I'm hoping I can find an actual partner(s). They'll have to be the Right Person (People) on a few levels and I'm not fooling myself that they might be hard to find. But I live in a huge city, so I can't ask for a more concentrated population to boost my odds. Life has been absorbing all my time outside of the studio so I don't have the slightest clue what the local scene is like; I started building an army to get back playing in 2011, I still haven't got the army done yet, but the project was a catalyst for me attending college and starting a business, so I'm fine with the tradeoff and delay. But that's changed now and a large part of why I'm focused on getting my AdMech on the table - I need to start fishing, as it were.

The second is that my house just isn't arranged with a studio in mind. If there was a washroom in the basement where I'm located it could work, but there's only one and it's all the way upstairs; add to that, I'm in a decent house but the bathroom is original and needs some work so the toilet and taps are a bit temperamental. Ah, the joys of home ownership; again, with school done, priorities are changing, but getting myself working comes first. If it was someone I'm comfortable with, hey no problem, but it's not as professional as I would prefer if that's not the case. Maybe I'm too worried about it, but even if I am I still need to find the Right Person.

How I'm hoping to swing this is, work myself like crazy and get a bit of extra capital to stop bouncing on the break-even line, so I can get some preliminary designs done to really showcase what I want to do. During college was the warm-up, this new small stuff is to dial Servitor Solus in, and soon you're going to see what this Heretech has planned! I'm a little nervous if my 3D modeling skills will be up to the task of making these ideas real, but to quote Jon Spencer, I "Just caaaaan't stop!" I'm lucky to have been called back for a second year to do some TA work at my college teaching Solidworks (Shocker! I know) and while it's not a huge number of hours it helps the bottom line. Once I can start getting a broader audience, more selection, and more of these new kits on people's workbenches then I can make a push to move the casting to an outside location. If I can run lean for a while and get some proper accounting on this new production process I can have some real numbers to back up the quality of the work. So much has changed, I need to let this experiment run for a while to collect data. But Solus is starting to get thirsty (need more resin soon), and I'm considering buying a huge bucket of mould rubber because it's starting to go so quickly. Where was I? Oh, yeah, so I'm thinking when it's time to move the casting, I should have the demand and I should hopefully have some idea who I might offer if they want to help me make it happen. Will that happen within a year? I think that's stretching it, but 2-3 seems right, but I also might be surprised once I get out of my comfort zone and start my funding drive.

As for IP, I wasn't totally sure if I should even mention it, but if I'm going to reference GW terminology specifically I figured it was prudent; note that making reference to something that is covered by IP and even saying that you have a product that is compatible with an IP protected product is perfectly legal. I've spoken casually with a good IP lawyer just to make absolutely clear, and I received an excellent lecture on the subject that was very enlightening. A product cannot be a direct copy, confusing, or be misleading in any way that might damage the company image, hurt their profits, or diminish the value of the IP holder's product/company. Competitors can make their own version of similar ideas, but they have to be distinct enough to be separate, and they can never be presented as a product offering from the IP holder.

I followed the GW v. CH lawsuit and the made note of the verdicts that were upheld and those that were struck down. With what I know now, CH broke almost every IP rule, and if the rumors are true they even basically said 'what can GW do about it?' and that all but painted a target on their backs. (again, not sure if that last bit is true, but regardless...) If you make product, using other companies distinct names, icons, design style (this is the tricky one), and fiction without expressly distancing yourself from the IP holding company, the IP holder is legally obligated to defend their IP, or lose it. GW is not being the bad guy when they do it, they have no legal choice; even if you do claim they're unofficial, if they directly copy the symbology and names, that's too far. Many bits makers have no idea that they have an ax hovering over their heads with how blatantly they breaking the law; trust that any that get to a certain size or notoriety will quickly have their line culled with a C&D from GW. It's ok for me to make a set of armour plates and say they're meant to fit on a Rhino model, but I can't claim the Rhino is my design, I can't blatantly copy a FW design, I can't closely copy the Rhino model itself, I can't use Rhino parts to build on and cast the results. How do I know for sure? The Stormraven Extension Kit was one of the kits GW had removed during the lawsuit, but there was nothing wrong with it and it returned after the suit was over. CH did cross the lines with several of their kits and GW was legally obligated to defend their IP but they, in turn, were far too heavy-handed and that also sheds some light on what's safe to do. You simply can't claim ownership of things like Grenade Launchers, Laser Rifles, Imperial Guard, and Plasma Guns - there's just too many other references for things like that. As it has already been pointed out, there are plenty of studios doing it right, and I'm very comfortable that I know where the lines are. I just want to make sure anyone who's considering funding me knows that I am aware and will tread on the right side of the line.

Yes Juggernut, yes. The 'Raven will be up next along with the 'Raider. Let me get through the first round of kits for the Rhino chassis, cause yeah, you know the Rhino/Predator is just too prolific not to do first. As usual, I'm just juggling a few things and haven't had time to get some final detailing done before setting Solus to work. The components are going to start getting much larger, and the resin is going to go much faster, so I don't want to rush in and waste materials if I can help it. This next round of Armour kits is going to get Dark... the first will fit in with what I've done so far, then I'm going to push my limits and do something... new... the voices... the voices from the warp... demand it. I suspect you'll like what I'm going to try. I hope to have some first renders of the new stuff soon. Doing all of this research and writing really has me itching to get back to the workbench - both digital and real. Stay tuned... *maniacal laugh... maniacal laugh!*

Holy crap... do I ever know how to ramble. *Subtle wanders off while he talks to himself*

I'd partner up with ya but you're up in Canadia and that's too far. Besides, didn't Abaddon destroy it with a Blackstone Fortress?

The planet said sorry before the guard did

... Well played. :wink:

Well played indeed.

SD, good stuff with the considerations on IP. About your plumbing situation: if you're looking for a partner that is also a gamer, then I suspect that your comfort will potentially be more infringed than theirs. Our kind can only survive with a higher tolerance to BO, remember?! ;)

I'd partner up with ya but you're up in Canadia and that's too far. Besides, didn't Abaddon destroy it with a Blackstone Fortress?

In any case, I'll be expecting Chaos Knight bits soon.

Really sorry to bother you, eh. There seems to be a Blackstone Fortress stuck in our, uhhh, country and if we recall correctly we don't think we put it there. Would you like it back?

Eh, what's that? Cadia? Oh no, this is Canada. Cadia is a few star systems over. It's fine, eh. Mistakes happen. Don't worry about it, eh.