It's all good, Legion Rising is, shall we say, a bit dense with information scattered throughout. More than understandable that you might overlook something. As Quixus said, I take repeat suggestions for an idea as an indication that it's popular and I should pay attention. The Land Raider will have its day soon enough. But with that said, I like the idea of seeing if the same type of enclosed sponsons would look good on a Predator; I'll be sure to play around with the idea when I'm working on the Predator concepts again.

Additionally, I suspect that the entire Primaris line will get some focused attention and consideration once I've got some of the starting ideas completed for other kits. I can't promise it'll be very soon, but I do have every intention to see what I can do with the line.

That's all good. I tend to skim, skip, and forget things I look over. As for a predator with a sponson I had thought to try and use the Leman Russ sponson but that...just looked funny. Something a bit slimmer and working around the weird exhaust stacks would be sweet.

Primaris would be a neat project to see. Wish there was a way to make them look more baroque and chaotic for anyone who wants to true-scale them for the Dark Gods.

Pretty cool to see a printed, classic predator.

I like that except how far it sticks out. I think if it could be narrower to shrink the front profile of the tank it would look spot on. The only thing you'd have to model or worry about I think is where the exhaust stacks stick out. 

ive been looking at mkIV dreads and after seeing one converted to use contemptor legs i instantly came here to suggest a leg kit for the chubby little walker to make them a little taller?

I suspect that I'll be doing an entire range of different legs for different purposes, from conventional two leg arrangments to multi-leg kits to create 'spider' vehicles. The way I envision it is kits that are modular to change the style a bit so they can suit a variety of kits. Naturally, I'll need to sit down with the models I want to service and see how I can get the most compatibility across several kits. Yeah, this idea is on my radar.

That's all good. I tend to skim, skip, and forget things I look over. As for a predator with a sponson I had thought to try and use the Leman Russ sponson but that...just looked funny. Something a bit slimmer and working around the weird exhaust stacks would be sweet.

Primaris would be a neat project to see. Wish there was a way to make them look more baroque and chaotic for anyone who wants to true-scale them for the Dark Gods.

I hear ya, with so many sources out there nowadays, it can be really easy to forget where you saw something or overlook something when it's presented like it is in Legion Rising, with things scattered about the thread. It's all good.

Primaris is going to be an interesting can-o'-worms; I have every plan to open it at some point, but I've got to get some other things out of the way first. Having never even really looked at the models it really hard to say just how I want to deal with them. I also am very confident that GW is doing a rolling update for Chaos so time will tell if that's the direction my work would take. Again, I'm thinking about the range, but have other things I think deserve my attention first.

There are quite a few predator alternatives with similar sponsons Here is one example.

I'll give props to the person who did that, but I have to say, the proportions are really whacky. But I can't criticize too much since I've learned that scale and proportion can be really hard to judge and execute well when you're working on something in 3D modeling software that will be a small-scale model. What seems good on the screen many times won't translate well to the actual real-world model. It's a decent reference, however, as I'm sure you were intending.

That trim all over the rhinos is totally beast! I love it! I know what you mean about the "just add spikes" attitude towards chaos, I have a similar situation with my Thousand Sons, I took all of the spikes off mine and need to think of another way to distinguish them.  they paint job on the metal trim is really cool too. I'm loving that trim, what an amazing idea, when I first skimmed the article I was like "that stuff is cool, I wonder where he got it form...". Amazing.

Pretty cool to see a printed, classic predator.

I like that except how far it sticks out. I think if it could be narrower to shrink the front profile of the tank it would look spot on. The only thing you'd have to model or worry about I think is where the exhaust stacks stick out. 

I second this! I'm presently trying to get the old metal sponsons off ebay for my project. I've got one set and need a few more.

Oh all right, twist my rubber arm, when I get done the Interitus Missile Launchers I'll turn my gaze towards the Armour and that will give me a reason to look at the sponsons; the Mk.2b form is actually very straightforward to model, but yes, getting the fit right will be the trick; it will need to lose the door and play nice with the shape of the hull, for sure. *Sigh* I may as well make a turret to compliment them, I suppose. *kicks at the dirt* :wink: The moulds for the current Predator Armour Kit have worn out so it's not like I have much choice but to get something up to replace it. Ooo... this is gonna be fun! Stay tuned...

Edit: What's that you say voices in my head? Include a possessed variant? Oh, if you insist, I suppose so.

Edited by Subtle Discord

Oh, and the Necromunda pattern lasgun, if you could get away with it. 

39ouSpu.jpg?1

And anything else to make that drawing a reality. 

Umm... Yes!?!  See, this is what I'm talking about, I don't have the time very often to go out and find great images like this. I agree, this is spot on; the helmet, armour, gloves, coat, weapon, pack, and all the details, just enough embellishment without going too far. Is it official GW art? I'm guessing yes. I like it so much it's tempting to borrow heavily from it but I don't think I'd want to outright copy it. Hummm... you might just be in luck

Dude. Dude. I have wanted a regiment of these guys since my first read of the Codex Imperials back in the Neolithic. If you make these parts, I will buy them. I will buy them to the point where owning a house will be defined as a separate and incompatible life path for me, in fact.

Oh, also, re: the over-the-shoulder cabling, I don't think it's out of the question to either provide a separate cable yourself that gets shaped/hooked in by the end user, or just note that it's something that can be made pretty easily by one of the jillion greenstuff cable/tentacle roller tools out there.

Edited by Lexington

Just went through two months worth of updates and am very impressed.

Storm Raven extension kit gets my vote. :thumbsup:

I'm so glad that my content is worth catching up on. I like to think it's compelling, but who knows, sometimes I feel like I'm rambling too much. Does anyone even give a damn? Thanks for taking the time to reply and reminding me that 'they' do. :smile.:

Yes, 'Project Raven'* is one that is high on my to-do list. Once I get the work on the Rhino and Land Raider chassis closer to complete there's a good chance I'll look at the Raven before I consider anything from FW; it'll be a good transition from the GW styrene to the FW resin when I then look at the Raptor and/or Eagle. Yep, I might seem a bit scattered sometimes (and honestly in some ways, I am :smile.: ) but there is some method to the madness going on in the back of my brain.

* Heh. Maybe I should start giving groups of ideas like this corny 'operation names' like this just to keep track of stuff. :smile.:

Oh, and the Necromunda pattern lasgun, if you could get away with it. 

39ouSpu.jpg?1

And anything else to make that drawing a reality. 

Umm... Yes!?!  See, this is what I'm talking about, I don't have the time very often to go out and find great images like this. I agree, this is spot on; the helmet, armour, gloves, coat, weapon, pack, and all the details, just enough embellishment without going too far. Is it official GW art? I'm guessing yes. I like it so much it's tempting to borrow heavily from it but I don't think I'd want to outright copy it. Hummm... you might just be in luck

Dude. Dude. I have wanted a regiment of these guys since my first read of the Codex Imperials back in the Neolithic. If you make these parts, I will buy them. I will buy them to the point where owning a house will be defined as a separate and incompatible life path for me, in fact.

Oh, also, re: the over-the-shoulder cabling, I don't think it's out of the question to either provide a separate cable yourself that gets shaped/hooked in by the end user, or just note that it's something that can be made pretty easily by one of the jillion greenstuff cable/tentacle roller tools out there.

Yes, it's on purpose, I'm quoting it all just to show the picture again. Yeah, I like it that much and it shows exactly why I made an open call for images. There's so much content out there that even if I had the time (which naturally I don't right now) I can't find nearly as much as I would like; it's one part luck, and one part knowing what you're looking for and sometimes I don't know what I want to find until I find it. All it takes is the right image to click with an idea I have in my brain and it takes that idea from something vague to something I can suddenly work with and make real. This is a perfect example. I don't want to copy it, but it's perfect inspiration that I think I can alter enough to make it my own while retaining the general elements that make it so good.

Thanks for the input on the over-the-shoulder cable, I think you might be on to something. It shouldn't take too much to find a semi-flexible resin and/or one that heat bends a bit easier to solve the problem; I could also just use my current resin and just leave a long 'tail' of hose and see if it can be heat bent as-is. it might be as simple as leaving a deep socket for the hose, then just insert the end of the hose in the socket and bend it to the shape you want. Additionally, I already have a set of hose/tentacle makers (and could actually 3D print more if I wanted to) so I'm able to make a bunch of bulk lengths of hose from greenstuff. Not ideal, but plausible.

Subtle Discord, listen to those voices in your head. They always have great advice!

They've brought me this far, do you think I'm going to start ignoring them now? It would be nice if they would quiet down sometimes so I can concentrate better and not be so prone to distraction or flights of future fancy. I've gotta' start walking before I can run, and all that.

There are a few distinct design languages that I want to start working on so I can follow a trend through a line of kits, and a one is a Possessed theme; basically everything I've done, but with horns, teeth, spines, tentacles, cracked and deformed surfaces, and other features that are somewhat signature Chaos but in no way IP infringing. The other main one I want to start to explore is the elegant flowing more delicate design esthetic suited for builders who want something like that. I've got the cleaner more utilitarian look and modestly embellished look figured out for the most part and they make a good base, now I need to evolve these base designs to create more variety.

Note that none of these 'design languages' I'm trying to create need to be all that exclusive or at all singular; something like a Possessed theme will likely have a few different categories to create a deeper range of options. I can see it in my minds-eye, Servitor Solus has the accuracy to make it happen, so now I just need to make it real so everyone can see what I'm talking about. Stay tuned...

Edited by Subtle Discord

Code names for projects and missions are rad. If you mix in some walkie talkies then its ever rad-er. You might have to start making some word documents with all these ideas and file them. I cannot imagine how much information are kept in this thread just waiting to see the light of day.

In regards to design and thinking of possessed one thing I want to do now is have the armor cracked open, like dried, ruptured flesh. Then have spines and maybe lashing tongue or tentacle protruding out. I built some land raider over a week or two ago and one of the panels didn't stay in place and dried. I now have a small gap I was going to fill in with green stuff and move on. I am now looking to make it a wee bit bigger to add teeth and make it look like an opening maw, showing early signs of corruption and possession in a land raider circa First Black Crusade.

OH MY GOD!... So I came on here yesterday after realising you had this thread... saw the cool trim you were adding to your tanks and was like... man, this is awesome as hell.   I didnt have time to go any further... since then I was in work trying to look through more, I barely have time to read anything but I saw more photos of your progress and Im dying to read this bloody thread! You're efforts are friggin AMAZING.  All those modifications to the tank at so much character and I really appreciate where your coming from with the havoc launcher, and yours looks so great! Now I wish I was able to just sit there watching you work, I love seeing people physically working on a project and i love how you have managed to visualise the objects your modifying and think of upgrades, then create them so professionally and have them fit so seamlessly onto the rest of the model! This is so inspireing, I cant believe how much stuff I have to work on because I really want to do some work on my tanks and even though I dont think Im capable of doing something of this standard I really want to modify mine... to achieve a similar LEVEL of improvement, even if I have to get there by an entirely different route.

Well done man, I am so pleased your sharing this with everyone and went to this phenomenal effort to improve your army.  Hopefully at some point I will actually have time to read the information to go with the pictures... or even ... another thread... like in 5 - 10 years when I don't have to look after my children for 14 hours a day 

Code names for projects and missions are rad. If you mix in some walkie talkies then its ever rad-er.

"Over!"

Yep, you've got the right idea. To me, I see cracked panels with spines, horns, and tentacles protruding is the starting point. It's the kinda' traditional possessed look, and that's awesome, but from there I want to evolve things like faces and extruding grasping hands, panels of glyphs and runes etched into the surfaces, corroded and pockmarked with weeping ooze everywhere, elegant growths and spines maybe with a crystalline structure, gaping mouths with teeth everywhere (picture it, you know it creeps you out), and I'm sure I can just keep going if I just sit down and do a brainstorming session; not every idea is great and worthy, but some sure do bubble to the top. These things survive living in hell where emotion can manifest by warping reality itself to... anything, so all bets are off, really. Seriously, I've been thinking for years on this. Give me some time to get up to speed doing soft modeling in Solidworks and I promise it'll be worth the wait. *Subtle grins wickedly and steeples his fingers*

OH MY GOD!... So I came on here yesterday after realising you had this thread... saw the cool trim you were adding to your tanks and was like... man, this is awesome as hell.   I didnt have time to go any further... since then I was in work trying to look through more, I barely have time to read anything but I saw more photos of your progress and Im dying to read this bloody thread! You're efforts are friggin AMAZING.  All those modifications to the tank at so much character and I really appreciate where your coming from with the havoc launcher, and yours looks so great! Now I wish I was able to just sit there watching you work, I love seeing people physically working on a project and i love how you have managed to visualise the objects your modifying and think of upgrades, then create them so professionally and have them fit so seamlessly onto the rest of the model! This is so inspireing, I cant believe how much stuff I have to work on because I really want to do some work on my tanks and even though I dont think Im capable of doing something of this standard I really want to modify mine... to achieve a similar LEVEL of improvement, even if I have to get there by an entirely different route.

Well done man, I am so pleased your sharing this with everyone and went to this phenomenal effort to improve your army.  Hopefully at some point I will actually have time to read the information to go with the pictures... or even ... another thread... like in 5 - 10 years when I don't have to look after my children for 14 hours a day 

@Subtle Discord

... now your speaking my language :biggrin.:

Oh... wow... thank you, seriously, deeply, thanks. Yeah, Legion Rising is a wee bit... dense and the path can wander quite a bit since it goes back quite a few years at this point. Take your time and use the images as a guide; read what accompanies images that interest you and skip the rest. Catch up and have a seat because this thread basically is 'watching me work' and this is one of the first places that I show anything I'm up to. Additionally, I'm actually considering how I can expand on this kind of work, perhaps even evolving the studio into a set and creating more elaborate in-depth content. But first I need to finish building the first floor on the foudation I've created, then I'll worry about the next level.

Thanks again for the kind words and feedback, it really does keep my energy high and help motivate me through frustrating points as I work out my process. I absolutely show what I'm doing to inform and educate those who are just interested or those who might want to give something a try at a hobby level, but the feedback is also key to reminding me why I'm doing this and convincing the doubts that lurk in my brain that they're wrong and to bugger off. I'm happy to do it, but it does feel good to know it's really appreciated.

Ok, back to work.

Oh all right, twist my rubber arm, when I get done the Interitus Missile Launchers I'll turn my gaze towards the Armour and that will give me a reason to look at the sponsons; the Mk.2b form is actually very straightforward to model, but yes, getting the fit right will be the trick; it will need to lose the door and play nice with the shape of the hull, for sure. *Sigh* I may as well make a turret to compliment them, I suppose. *kicks at the dirt* :wink: The moulds for the current Predator Armour Kit have worn out so it's not like I have much choice but to get something up to replace it. Ooo... this is gonna be fun! Stay tuned...

Edit: What's that you say voices in my head? Include a possessed variant? Oh, if you insist, I suppose so.

I would say that you're a gentleman and a scholar, but we all know you're a filthy heretek. A much loved filthy heretek. One that once you're up and running, I think I have a project in mind I wanna tackle as a tribute piece once things calm down over in my neck of the woods.

I think one of the reasons my brain is putting both my Black Legion and Word Bearers projects on hold is because subconsciously I *know* they're gonna need a pile of stuff from the Dark Works so there's no point starting yet.

Oh, kit request: infantry combi weapons, specifically Terminator ones but wouldn't complain about any others.

Dragonlover

7cAyyMj.png
Caught by a fit of distracting inspiration, to accompany the Vehicle Pintle Weapons, I'm taking a quick diversion to crank out a redesign of the Vehicle Accessories I created.

This is the Searchlight that I'll be using as a base (the Searchlight part is removable), and from here I'm going to create a Loud Speaker (Aka: Dirge Caster), and a Radar/Comms dish for this base and a separate Smoke Launcher bit to complete the set; the kit will include a few Smoke Launchers and several bases with a selection of the modular bits for the builder to choose during assembly. I decided to get briefly distracted by this redesign because I think it will pair well with the Vehicle Pintle Weapons kits (moulds are finished, casts are great, more on that kit soon...) and I'll be bundling the two together when they hit the shop.

As mentioned, the Pintle Weapons are done (after being delayed a few days after running out of rubber) and now I just need to get some proper photos taken of them. I'll share some images very soon. The casting masters for the Interitus Missile Launcher (Aka: Havoc Launcher) kits have finished 3D printing and mould making is ongoing. Expect to see much more poly resin over the next few updates followed by more new designs becoming reality.

Looks amazing, though food for thought regarding sales of your creations: searchlights and dirge casters are no longer wargear, so that could potentially reduce their appeal. Not intended as criticism whatsoever, but worth knowing IMO. Of course, chaotic trim isn't wargear either and I want a set for every rhino...

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I've been noticing the shift in wargear and recognize that these are going to be more cosmetic than something related to rules. 'Dozer Blades (and other gubbins) are in the same place, but I'm still getting requests for them on all manner of vehicle chassis so I feel confident that there's still a market for strictly cosmetic kits and bits. Venerated war machines of a dozen campaigns need to look the part, after all. 

These are also going to be quite small and suitable for any vehicle build really, so I think they'll be worth the brief diversion it'll take to get them done. With Servitor Solus the ability to produce enough masters to making casting more efficient is finally an option, so I can easily see these and other comparable bits as things that can get bundled with several other kits to add some value/versatility.