Oh, that's an easy one; there's no recipe really, it's just Vallejo Game Colour - Magic Blue (72.021). The name is completely appropriate because I've fallen in love with it and it regularly gets a very good reaction.

It's over a black prime and I use Drakenhof Nightshade to shade (and a touch of Nuln Oil added in for really dark edges/spots) before blending it back with an airbrush or just with a bit of quick blending if I'm working with a brush. When it's thinned it blends easy enough but it goes down very bright and then darkens to match.

It's actually a bit darker/richer in real life than in the photos, but I've got a new camera and I'm still trying to figure out how to set it for accurate colours in my lighting. From what I can tell, it's very close to Process Blue, which is basically an absolutely pure blue used in printing; a touch darker then Cyan and very close to Ultramarine Blue but a bit lighter.

Highlights so far are done with Game Colour - Electric Blue (72.023); first a 50/50 mix of Electric and Magic and then straight Electric. Very straightforward.

• 1 month later...

++

+++++++
++++++
Comm-Link ∙ Active
+++++++
+++++
Motivation Subroutines ∙ Recalibrating… *HARSH BINARIC SCREECHING!!*
+++
Praxis Protocols Initialized ∙ Motivation Subroutines… Altered
++
++++
++++++
Rx5BZiS.png
+++ Output Quota ∙ Inadequate +++ Incentive Reprimand ∙ Administered +++ +++ Information Exchange ∙ Update +++ +++ +++ Output Quota ∙ Adjusting Parameters… +++
++++++
Comm-Link ∙ Active
+++++++++
++
Update Incoming ∙ Standby…
+++++
++++++++
+++

I was gonna do some sort of "amazing!" reaction gif for this new post, but I couldn't find one I both like and haven't used before. On the other hand, there's the cold acceptance of update posts from SD always being amazing and it's more like:

source.gif

+++++++++

++

++++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

+++++++

Data-Link ∙ Active

+++++

++

Decrypting …

+++++++

++

Data File Lo.4313-7 ∙ Displaying…

++++++

+++

++++

So, life, the universe, and everything keep pulling me in several directions the last while and that’s got my brain just a bit preoccupied. I want to sit down and write more, but wording is harder than usual right now. While I have been distracted and somewhat sporadic with updates I’m striving to not be idle in the studio or the hobby bench so I figured a nice dump of large images with minimal text was the order of the day.

YZIPZHF.png

jSbfMXZ.png

∙ With decals finally ready to go I can get down to actually properly finishing some models, like the Kastelan ‘Bots and Datasmith.

I still think the contrast of white decals would have been interesting but I’m completely happy with the black and ultimately I think it’s a better match to the blue-and-black scheme. Maybe I’ll get some white ones done in the future and use them to make alternate units using them or something.

glEOc22.png

Ku5LqCi.png

∙ To say I’m pleased with how the ammo hoppers and feeds turned out would be an understatement. They take some tweaking to get right…

… but the result is totally worth the effort; now that’s a Kastelan that looks like it could spray out some phosphor rounds. You’re usually staring at the backs of your models when they’re on the table so they may as well look good from behind.

Hd0nPdc.png

∙ Is the Dragoon just a really large model or do I need to consider a larger photography backdrop? I think it’s both, yeah?

Being all legs and Tazer Lances the Dragoons are quite challenging to completely frame in the shot as a complete unit without cropping anything. Since the projects are going to get much larger over time *glances at the Knight and Kytan sitting off in the corner* I guess it’s time to consider a larger backdrop solution.

YXFFBgG.png

LWlv46B.png

∙ I also overlooked priming the backpacks for the Skitarii riders, so they’re not quite finished yet…  but so close!

I’ll get around to the backpacks the next time I prime some other stuff, so these will catch up soon enough.

Speaking of things that will need to be primed in the near future…

5H9Lb9I.png

∙ Patiently waiting their turn for several years it’s so nice to finally get a unit of Onagers on the workbench.

The extra time was worth the wait.

bI2KbTv.png

OsNNXq3.png

∙ Yeah, that’s it, make a build for a model that’s already chocked full of all sorts of bits and gubbins, even more involved. Good call.

Well, it’s not like I can stop now, can I?

*Ponders a moment to consider the chorus of whispers endlessly taunting me with ideas and inspiration*

Yeah… that’s not going to happen.

rdCCJ65.png

∙ All dressed up and waiting on the final bits and pieces… so many, hoses, cables, ladders, rails, and antenna… seriously.

I’m learning to love to hate to love the Mechanicus line. So many little bits to add to the models that make them look excellent… and make them more complex to paint… and did I mention it’s only a matter of when, not if, you’ll snap an antenna off? Wonderful, delicate, detailed, frustrating, unique, and tedious all in one. Perfect for my mildly masochistic tendencies really, I suppose.

4ImI6vx.png

∙ And of course, I had to add one last bit to the mix. You’ve come this far, so know you saw it coming.

I was going to convert the Heavy Stubber included in the kit but I figured it would just be more straightforward to simply 3D model the entire bit in one go. Nothing too complex so it wasn’t hard to whip up. Still waiting on the first prints of this bit even as I write this.

Ok, so you can expect to see much more blue over the coming weeks as I apply many decals to many models and get them properly finished and table ready. I’m already eager to get on to some bigger projects but the foundation and first floor is almost done and I can’t get distracted quite yet.

Omnissiah guide my hands of inferior flesh so that I might make your divine inspirations real.

Brilliant work, absolutely brilliant.

Just to comment on your dilemma of the black or white decals - in my opinion the black ones look much better. If they were white then I feel they'd be too similar to the wear and tear/battle damage on the blue armour and would be lost.

Brilliant work, absolutely brilliant.

Just to comment on your dilemma of the black or white decals - in my opinion the black ones look much better. If they were white then I feel they'd be too similar to the wear and tear/battle damage on the blue armour and would be lost.

Thanks. After many years of wishing I could do something like this, it's hard to believe I can finally make it happen. Good point on the colour of the decals; I keep considering their contrast with the blue but you're right they would compete with the brighter contrast of the paint chipping. Right now the black also lets me do anything I want in-house since I've got a really nice printer at my disposal so I might as well make use of it.

Nice. Are you doing something with the sand feet? You have the attachment arms there but no sand feet. I love the customized bits on everything.

While I was tempted to do something with the feet I didn't want to over-do it. It's tempting but I've got to draw a line somewhere. I'm going to use the feet to attach them to the base but leave the rest of the model free. Then I can paint the legs from underneath and attach them to the base using the feet as a guide. I'm not goin to do anyhting with the feet, but I've still got one more bit that I do want to make...

Not often, but every once-and-awhile something fits just right the first time…

oDNEI0Z.png

∙ I think the barrels are just a little too low but the bit fits the spot perfectly. If I was someone else it would be good enough but it needs one round of adjustments.

I want to try another iteration with the barrel adjusted up a bit to center it in the round of the cut in the sloped armour. It just seems off that the round element of the model doesn’t line up with the round barrel of the bit; it lacks a certain logic that my poor hobby-OCD can’t ignore. But, with that minor quibble aside, oh my…

l8GxJNk.png

∙ … what have I done? Now I’m rather tempted to put twin Heavy Stubbers on the Onagers, because, look at it. Mmmmm… Stubbers.

If I had of known I was going to do this I could have left the Stubber off of the Neutron Laser and just put an antenna detail there, or something. Damn it, why do I do this to myself?! I can’t keep changing things all the time, but… *sigh* Opinions and/or input?

That stubber looks... Amazing? Hang on, lemme hit a digital thesaurus real quick 'cause I need some synonyms up in here. 

Oooh! I got one!

63Jc7Uc.gif

Concerning the stubber on the neutron weapon, you might consider it a coaxial weapon in the old-school sense before modern optics and computer-assisted firing where a tank would have a machine gun beside the main weapon trained to the same target that the gunner would fire tracer rounds from, and if the machine gun round hit the target, the main gun would fire. The coax is a logical redundancy in case of higher mechanical failures and the two lower stubbers are for anti-infantry duty. Let your hobby OCD be at ease, maybe? :)

This is nothing short of amazing. Absolutely a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

Remember that exaggeration is a key design element in 40k. If you can reasonably fit three stubbers on that Onager ... Why not? - Plus, what Brother Captain Kage said above. Go three stubbers!

Edited by Brother Kortmer

That Onager and robot stuff is great.

Someone needs to do something less Jules Verne/Chitty-chitty Bang Bang for the new coptors yjough, like VTOL turbo-fan props...I wonder who could do that? :wink:

Turbo-fan props? ... VTOL Turbo-fan props... VTOL Turbo-fan props!

Do you see the light!?!

VTOL Turbo-fan props!!

Do you see the light!?!

VTOL Turbo-fan props!!!

Have you seen the light!?!

... *Shakes violently* ...

Have you seen the light!?!

YES! *BINARIC OBSCENITY* Omnissiah, I have seen the light!!!

*Cough*

But seriously... thank you. I personally like the current look of the kit, but me being me, I also can't help but consider how I might change it. I wasn't really coming up with anything... until you said that. Oh, what a good idea. I need at least 3 of this kit now. Damn it GW, I need to finish up my AdMech project so I can put some focus on my Chaos. Why are you doing this to me?!

Well, if it helps...;)

Seriously when I saw the early reveal of the cockpit I just assumed it would have them on either wing - large, inside a large tube a bit like assault marine MkII jump packs - I thought I was recalling The Orgus Flyer from page 105 of RT but I was actually blurring 30 year plus memories with the assault marine art on page 104. Although O-rings on the wings might be less clunky.

And two small ones at the rear that also rotate,a bit like an A-10 that move/rotate for VTOL. I also got this whole Hind-D gunship vibe.

Then the video continued and it weirdly looked like someone had stolen Batman's capes and nailed them to a gunship.

Of course what it really needs is more heavy stubbers, it doesn't seem to have enough...It possibly needs trips or quads were is has twins.

hqzjXWL.png
AkMCkHv.png
∙ Hobby-OCD appeased… It's not a massive change but I'm glad I raised the barrels to align them with the round cut in the sloped front armour. The fit just feels more deliberate now.

I also adjusted the details on the barrel a bit to get the match really close to the Stubber under the Neutron Laser and then a quick mirror to make parts for the left and right, because yeah, I’m keeping all three Stubbers. Still lots of little bits to attach, but the custom stuff is done and they're in the home stretch before they get hit with some primer.

Ok, bed ways is right ways now. I have no idea what my next update will be, or when. We'll see what I get up to...

∙ Hobby-OCD appeased… 

When the Omnissiah terminates one ritual, another begins the awakening process. Look for the hand of the Machine God in all things. 

(Or for us flesh bags, you'll have another hobby OCD attack soon enough. :thumbsup: )