Chaplain's hobby misc. Red Gobbo!

Yeah but I'm not overly concerned with that- get a foam tray for vehicles, make a few cuts, problem solved. I think the cool factor more than makes up for it brother vash! Sadly, the hobby shop was a total bust for supplies so looks like I'm making an amazon order!

Well, I'm back with another mini update! (Apologies that today's photos aren't as good as usual-- taking them with my iphone rather than the fiance's superdy-duper macro camera.)

First up, stormtalon canopy:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5523/12368646713_1f42439167_c.jpg

I had tried to color the cage around the glass by applying Bare-Metal Foil, but it just didn't adhere properly, or completely peeled off the window tint as I removed it.  So, redid the tint last night and decided to give Mr. Hobby's "Mr. Masking Sol" -- which started okay enough (despite the stuff smelling like 90s era creepy crawlers baked plastic which triggered a nostalgia trip I wasn't prepared for); but then I took it off...

...turns out that Mr. Masking Sol and Tamiya clear red do not get along well- because the canopy either got gluey residue on a panel or became inexplicably foggy.  So, I had to retint the canopy again! 

So, now I have a black canopy cage and red tinted windows, just 4+ hours behind envisioned schedule.  Do I keep the cage black like where it will attach to the fuslelage?  Or do I go with a metallic for some pop? (Something like a dark copper)

Oh, and Honda-- you can see I removed the cat whiskers ;)  

Next up is a chunk of work I got done on the crozius dreadnought arm:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/038/7/3/confessor_diy_chaplain_dread_crozius_progress_by_emo_catboy-d75h3r9.jpg

I've managed to completely remove the pre-molded plastic parchment detail from the librarian dreadnought arm- replacing it with an armored side panel like other dreadnought close combat arms, and some styrene/plasticard trim with those delightfully diminutive micro beads!  I also added a cut down melta bomb bike rack for compressed air tanks to feed into the pneumatic/piston systems powering the crozius battering ram. 

Valentine's Day is fast approaching- and I've been told that as a belated xmas present/v-day gift I am receiving a tentacle maker tool box and some silicone clay shapers (and something else unknown) from the fiance.  I am truly blessed to have a significant other who is as supportive of the hobby as she is.  I might even be able to get an update up next Friday, Emperor permitting.

That's it for now guys- have a good one.  

hmm. canopy doesn't look too bad. i have yet to get any fliers for my army, so have nothing else to say other than trying to either cast it, find a buddy with an extra, or custom build one... if you want it replaced.:confused:

dread arm looks awesome, keep up the cool stuff!:happy.:

Yeah, I doubt I'm gonna replace the canopy at this stage- it looks pretty damn good in person, the iphone camera isn't doing it justice.  The only reason conceivably I would have for getting a different canopy is if I didn't like how it looked on the end *painted* product, or it got scuffed- or if I found a different clear tint I liked better.  I hear tamiya does a smoke clear paint- and while I doubt I would use it for a replacement canopy on the talon,  I might use it for the main storm raven canopy- just because I have something planned involving clear colors elsewhere on the model that I don't want to detract visual impact from.

dread arm looks awesome, keep up the cool stuff!:happy.:

Thanks! Yeah, I hope I can keep up this pace in terms of updates - lots more cool stuff to work on :P

Edited by The_Chaplain

• 2 weeks later...

No pictures today folks (for 2 reasons); the first is that I've been focussing on more mundane tasks like smoothing out surfaces - dread arms, bikes, storm raven, etc. and that is a very involved, time consuming process- with an end product which isnt very exciting or photogenic (it's just to make the surface ready for eventual priming so I can ensure an even paintjob).  I did manage to get my dreadnought arms and stormraven hurricane bolters before the second reason occurred though...

The second reason there are no pictures today is because I burned a couple of fingers on my hand really bad this week- so things like typing, writing, and anything involving tools has been extremely difficult, as well as painful.  Story behind this accident?  I was making some macaroni for myself on the stove- and one of our cats tried to get into the pot and have himself some people food-  obviously I intervened, and in the end I'll take a couple of burned fingers over a potentially dead cat any day.  

So, why am I updating the thread today? Well, I am in need of some measurements and pictures from anyone who can help me.  I do not own a set of centurions- but I have contemplated getting a set of their siege drills to serve as the basis for the dreadnought crozius arcanum.  If anyone has any centurions that has the siege drills lying around:

a) how long is are the siege drills when fully assembled?

b. ) how wide are they?

c) how tall are they?

d) can you provide a shot of the back of the siege drill?  

My thinking is to make a double headed aquila wrapped around the siege drill (possibly inverted so that an aquila head is on either side of the "bottom" siege drill) that shoots the flamer template out of the aquila heads.  No sense in being subtle, might as well have a beatstick worthy of the person in the mobile coffin. 

Once my fingers heal up, I'll be back at the table hammering out some more dreadnought details; so stay tuned.  Thanks for looking! 

Edited by The_Chaplain

Quick picture from my phone today (sorry in advance for the quality of the picture; wish I had a fancy camera like my fiance haha).

Feather tips have been replaced, surfacing has begun on the sarcophagus, all arms have been magnetized (including this melee option- though I want to make an option for all the loadouts he can have) and oh yeah, the legs are fixed on the dreadnought!  Special thanks to Madscuzzy for fielding a couple questions on how to tackle that task, couldn't have done it without ya Madscuzzy!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2878/12817168084_ffcb111e4e_c.jpg

One of the legs has been reposed so the dread looks like he's walking.  Pretty chuffed with the end result.  The doohickey on top started life as the chassis for a magna grapple- it's gonna be turned into a giant speaker system.  No sense of sticking a chaplain in a dreadnought if he doesn't have some way to broadcast his fiery oratory and potentially deafen the enemy.

Base wise, the plan is to get a hold of a secret weapon Urban Street 60mm base, add the broken window from the Honoured Imperium to it, add some broken stained glass to said window, and then add snow effects.  

Again, sorry for the bad photo quality- but figured I'd get some kind of update up before I got pulled every which way this weekend.  Also, ignore the Oktoberfest mug in the background- or don't, but drink responsibly.

Cheers!

Edited by The_Chaplain

Zxyogi: Thank you, hopefully when all the conversion work is done and it comes time to paint they will look even half as good as your Sons of Heracles.  I still can't get over how fabulous that purple looks whenever I see your thread.

Brother Tyrax: Thank you brother, though to be brutally honest- I'm not the most confident in my own ability- especially when I compare myself to some of the more veteran hobbyists on the forum.  However, I'm determined to learn as many tricks of the trade as I can and make an end product that I can be proud of; even if I have to edit and redo the model 50+ times, haha. There is a constant urge to get better in all things related to this hobby for me- and it's much more exciting to me than the game could ever be.   Thanks for looking through the thread though brother, much appreciated.   Your marines malevolent are shaping up pretty nicely!

Managed to get some work done on the biker chaplain's crozius arcanum arm though the shoulder transplant needs some serious work; as does the soft armor on the legs.  Hopefully I will get the last of the parts I need for him soon and he'll be moving off of the WIP table into the "to be painted" box.

Exciting times are ahead for these guys, stay tuned and rock on!

So what is currently in the "To be painted" box?

Haha, nothing yet, because nothing is finished! That's this years goal- get all my current WIPs done or as close to done as humanly possible, and get them ready for paint before moving onto new projects. Whenever the god emperor deems I'm worthy of some gainful employment- I will be investing in an airbrush (apparently there are conventions where you pay for 5-6 hours of instruction and you are taught the ins and outs of airbrushing, and even get a starter rig for a vastly discounted rate. Definitely something I will research and pursue further). I figure that way, I can batch paint all the main armor and do uniform zenithal highlighting before moving onto metallics and weathering on an individual basis with a standard brush.

Also I like the saunter the walking pose gives the ole Chappy dread, very nice!

Well thank you, glad you like it- here is a better picture for you!

I realize the "stationary" foot has bent upwards (its always something...) so when the base for this guy arrives I'll just pin the foot so it lays flush properly. Put legs on another crusader; leftover from the "Chaplain with Powerfist". Lot of imperfections on the legs of that cast, but nothing I can't fix in the future.

Now, about that crozius arcanum arm I mentioned yesterday...

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/059/5/8/confessors_diy_biker_chaplain_crozius_2_0_wip_by_emo_catboy-d78bkkm.jpg

The crozius as it stands right now is comprised of bits from 3 separate chaplains: the mace "head" and end cap are from Ivanus Enkomi's crozius, the circular studded dias the crozius is mounted to is from the "chaplain with skull helmet" model, and the arm/hand/shaft is from the powerfist chaplain. Here is a shot from the back:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7413/12836428435_683d77c0a9_z.jpg

To round out the conversion I'm either going to add a skeleton from one of the out of production chaplains to where the minotaur head originally was, or add a clenched skeletal fist (my DIY's chapter symbol). I'll try both options and see which one I like best. Sadly, space marines lost access to grenade launchers as wargear- but I'm determined to keep it if for no other reason that "rule of cool".

And so February draws to a close, and so begins the long march into March! Thanks for looking! Thanks for the follows! Thanks for the comments and critique!

(trying to fix the broken picture, please bear with me)

Edited by The_Chaplain

For whatever reason, it wont let me post the picture in that post, maybe I can get it to work here *crosses fingers*

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/059/8/1/long_march_into_march_by_emo_catboy-d78bpd7.jpg

Praise to the golden throne! It works! 

Edited by The_Chaplain

trust me, you aren't the only one with picture problems :sweat:

Glad I'm not the only one dealing with this issue.

as far as work goes, stellar job on the chaplain dread, and i cannot wait to see your chaplain, chaplain!:tongue.: keep up the great work!!!

Thanks, hopefully I'll be getting parts for finishing him up soon- or at the least making some headway.  I'm sure the end product will be worth the wait.

Nice to see the Chappy dread coming together at long last, any movement on making the crozius head?

Not yet, haven't been able to put in the bits order I needed for it (and other projects) yet as it has been a particularly hectic weekend; soon as I get the parts- pics will go up, rest assured.

The plan is to use a centurion siege drill as the internal mechanical doodads for the crozius' head, and build something akin to a double headed aquila with flamerthrowing beaks around that.  I'm still trying to figure out how to design the aesthetics of that second bit; but if I can make it work, it'll be a real show stopper!

Well, I'm in a state of limbo as I'm waiting on certain things to arrive in the mail (in particular been waiting on an order from GW and chapterhouse studios for at least 5 weeks at this point)- but some smaller stuff came in, a part from black dagger games, as well as a package from secret weapon miniatures- and my humble bits order from bitz barn may be arriving today (or Monday)!

Didn't accomplish a terrible lot this week, but some progress was made on the biker chaplain who hasn't had the spotlight for a hot minute (around Halloween to be precise):

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/067/c/3/confessors_biker_chaplain_wip_update_by_emo_catboy-d79de6h.jpg

The crozius arcanum arm has been affixed- as has the shoulder pad (which I removed and hollowed out so the arm could be fit and pinned.)  The corner of the pad got damaged, and is being resculpted with milliput and will be restudded as soon as that cures and is sanded.

The chain for the rosarius has been removed, and will be replaced with a smaller link per inch set- going from 13 links per inch to either 30 or 40 (depending on what I can get my hands on).  That chain should then be in scale with the links commonly sculpted on GW miniatures.

The smoke has been altered slightly- removing part of the contrail from the asmodai backpack and being replaced with a skaven smoke piece off of the plague bell set.  Now the biker chaplain, devastator chaplain and chaplain dreadnought have aesthetically similar smoke, adding some uniformity throughout this army in progress.

When I combined all of these chaplain kits together for the biker mini, there were some nasty gaps that had to be filled with greenstuff, the result looked pretty nasty.  I can't sculpt worth a damn (which is a reason I cut to fit a sevrin loth honour guard gorget to fit on the torso seen here rather than fabricate one myself); but I knew that the model needed some soft armor detailing to add edges and form to the model rather than greenstuff blob.  What was I to do?  

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/13009243924_4d7869e4e4_c.jpg

And then I had a eureka moment:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2216/13009238274_36416a1528_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7382/13009233274_cf7352635c_z.jpg

STRAWS! 

So, cutting these in segments, bending and gluing them to fit- i've recreated the ribbed, vulcanized rubber look of space marine armor.  And with a 400 count box of straws? I've got extras in case I screw up.  Once they're all in place, I'll hit them with Mr. Surfacer and scratch that off the to do list on this guy.

Rounding out today's update, some pictures of my new Secret weapon miniatures bases!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7297/13008878995_4cb7f3fa9a_z.jpg

dreadnought base, 10 infantry bases and 3 biker bases- no warping, no miscasts, no problems! 

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2460/13009256274_5d48cca851_z.jpg

Size is nearly identical to the games workshop bases (although they are slightly taller)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3572/13009277274_8a9861df82_c.jpg

And to top it all off, they delivered these lightning quick!  As soon as I get some models on the base I'll post some new pics comparing the height to gw stock bases if anyone wants.

C&C as always is welcomed and encouraged! Have a good weekend all, and thanks for looking!  (Also, hooray for the first ever update that all the pictures worked on the first try! Woohoo!)

Edited by The_Chaplain

WOW, those are really cool bases!

beats what i do (agrellan earth with agrax wash)

:sweat:

were they relatively cheap???

oh and, how did you get the pics to behave?

Edited by Argent aquila

WOW, those are really cool bases!

beats what i do (agrellan earth with agrax wash)

:sweat:

were they relatively cheap???

oh and, how did you get the pics to behave?

all those bases were ~$25 USD, with shipping.  I was initially kind of hesitant about the bases being made out of resin- but seeing the quality of the product in hand? I might just base my entire army with their products and snow effects.  Ultimately I'd like to have a primary and secondary detachment: one modelled on the ground (streets with cracked asphalt, street corners, manholes, etc.) and the other being "in cover" (rubble, imperial floor tiling, etc). 

In terms of getting the pics to behave, I turned down the pixel count and file size by about 25% and that got it to work. 

Edited by The_Chaplain

Inspirational work as always Chaplain.  I like the new direction of the smoke especially.  You have also managed to make that Crozius from Enkomi look good, I was never a fan of it as originally posed and sculpted.

I see a light at the end of the tunnel, the light of the finished project! It's soooo close now! Keep it up man!

Thanks a lot Vash! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for some of these projects as well, and it is a good feeling.  I have about a million and a half ideas for models and projects I'd like to work on, and freeing up some room on my desk will let me tackle them in turn.  

Inspirational work as always Chaplain.  I like the new direction of the smoke especially.  You have also managed to make that Crozius from Enkomi look good, I was never a fan of it as originally posed and sculpted.

Thanks Mikhail! Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with how the smoke is turning out as well.  I was actually drawn to Enkomi because of the uniqueness of the bits compared to stock GW chaplains- but knew I would have to alter them for my purposes. That's part of the appeal of the hobby to me; taking a "stock" model, even one as recognizable as Enkomi and making it your own- even if some people think you're nuts for hacking up forgeworld resin!

Had an unsuccessful excursion trying to find pinning rod today, but hopefully I can get my hands on some this week and get models on bases!  Getting work done where I can in the meantime.  

Pics will hopefully be up around the weekend; thanks for the C&C!

Probably not going to be the most exciting update today guys, but an update nonetheless- here we go!

First up, the dreadnought is getting one hell of a speaker system:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2539/13149306504_4ef99b8efb_z.jpg

The magna grapple mechanism has been replaced with venerable dreadnought front panels that are being cut to fit into it, before they get a gap filling and sanding treatment.  The goal is for the end product to resemble something like:

http://www.stonevintageradio.com/images/peerless%20bk.jpg

Or like the Opus I have in my living room (looks like this):

http://richardmarkfineart.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/restored-opus-vintage-radio-front.jpg

The circle on the chassis has received a chapter symbol (donated by a shield wielding skeleton out of warhammer fantasy)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7404/13149196983_aafb9bef17_z.jpg

One of those arms has been added to the biker chaplain's crozius as well:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7313/13149199165_86df085f77_z.jpg

And the dreadnought on his base currently:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7411/13149209653_7f65d9a927_c.jpg

Probably hitting the picture "wall", so gonna break the rest of the pics up into the second post, should be up shortly.

Edited by The_Chaplain

8 crusaders have been put onto bases, leaving me 2 bases for another bolter crusader and a heavy weapons specialist who has yet to be made.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7418/13149402604_eb97a79269_b.jpg

Some detail on the bike bases:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7426/13149452064_517b4b7f4b_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3724/13149295963_b0b759c1dc_z.jpg

As it stands, only the standard bearer, company champion and chaplain out of the reclusiam command squad are based- the drawback of 3 bases in a pack.  I'm torn between ordering a second, identical set- going to town on a second set (adding more cracked asphalt, cans, etc) or trying a different company to round out the 6 bases I need for the project.

Thats it for today folks- been preoccupied with other stuff this week; hopefully I'll have something a little more substantial for you next update.  C&C as always is welcomed and appreciated; Have a safe and happy weekend! Apparently it's pi(e) day today; so go out and enjoy some confections! 

Edited by The_Chaplain