Do you have any preferences regarding auxiliary colours for our vehicles?

As a matter of fact, I do.

That is why I'm looking for a nice colour addition to break the black.

Understandable, but also keep in mind that part of what defines our livery is black. To quote Grimaldus, "I wear the purest of black". Now having said that, we do need to differentiate our models from something that is just basecoated black.

I feel compelled to go for a 'wacky' colour, like blue or green for some panels/wing flaps,

Don't go there. After all the effort you have put into this magnificent model, now is not the time to "go wacky". You'd regret it. Stay the course.

With the list, I think that white is out of the question as far as vehicles are concerned - I painted one Razorback with white panels and doors and the contrast is too strong for my taste. Now, I'm considering grey additions for all my flyers (armour panels, flaps) and maybe red for weapon housing (to have a uniform scheme for a 'class' of vehicles) and tan additions for my tanks (especially Rhino/Razorback transports; Land Raiders due to their venerable status will probably get a different treatment, each being a relic of the armoury). I already basecoated the flaps on the 'main' wings grey and I suppose it looks fine, but I can always change it.

Before you get too far, I think it would be better to sketch out a couple of concepts and make sure you like what you see. As my daughter (artist) has reminded me f few times, the canvas is not the place to "figure things out."

So you're model is not where you figure things out, it's where you go to execute your idea. You don't have to have everything figured out, but you should have a pretty solid idea as to what you are going to do.

Painting options to consider:

1. All black, certain details highlighted.

2. Black body, white wings with Maltese crosses on them (this is the approach I have taken)

3. Something distinguishing like gold (I have one of those too) or all white, because this is your Marshall's transport.

4. Black with white or red stripes containing Maltese crosses.

Some variation of the above.

But first sketch it out to see if you like the concept.

As master carpenters are fond of saying, "Measure twice, cut once."

Thank you Honda for being the voice of reason. I also remember that we are the Black Templars and I intend to keep to painting at lest 80% the right way. I think I want to avoid painting any large surface white (I don't get along too well with the colour, apparently), but I like your idea no. 4. Admittedly, I'm not exactly sure what you meant by this (e.g. where should the stripes go), but I'm thinking about doing such stripes with the crosses (a great idea!!) on the sides, whole of them, or at least the flat areas at the front.

I also have to agree with you on not experimenting on the models - this is something I try not to do, but I also find myself annoyed by how long I think about how to get stuff right instead of doing/trying ideas out. It is a bit sill because these are plastic vehicles or soldiers that with an effort can be repainted, but I often feel that painting is a one-go and a make-or-break case.

Andrew, I'm sure your Talon doesn't look bad. But I think I understand you all too well, as I feel something similar with my one Razorback (I really need to repaint that thing). What tint of read do you have in mind? A 'standard', saturated red (like Blood Red from GW's old palette), or rather a deeper, darker one? I think that the second option would look pretty cool on the protruding part on the side weapon and assault cannon cases.

The white bits look rather nice, they break the general blackness of the vehicle well; however, I'm still torn and not sure whether they aren't a bit contrasty. As for the reds, I like the tint on the bolters and Drop Pod launchers best (in the photo, they look different than the ones on the grav cannons) and this is probably where I'd like to go with mine.

I'll also leave a photo of the progress on my Raven/Roc thingy. The metallic parts (engines, turbines, cooling system, vertical thrusters) are done; the crosses probably should be reworked a bit, but I don't know whether it wouldn't be better to leave them as they are not to make a mess with additional layers of paint surrounding them. As always, they look better to the naked eye (I'm looking at them now and I'm kind of glad I don't have perfect eyesight because I'm quite happy with them, unlike with what I see in the pictures with all the uneven lines) - that's my excuse :happy.: . The photos are also unfortunate, as the model catches light from outside which burns some areas: e.g., as a disclaimer, the wing flaps are not white; they are covered with a base layer of Codex Grey.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060131_zpsrrspphcq.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060130_zps2ikk59yk.jpg

More images are sure to come!

1. Red - go with a deeper red, like Khorne Red. It's less bright.

I also have to agree with you on not experimenting on the models - this is something I try not to do, but I also find myself annoyed by how long I think about how to get stuff right instead of doing/trying ideas out. It is a bit sill because these are plastic vehicles or soldiers that with an effort can be repainted, but I often feel that painting is a one-go and a make-or-break case.

Think of it as a work of art that you get to play with. :)

This is the type of stripe I was thinking of for the side of the fuselage (pulled from the wayback machine archives)

gallery_15184_7227_22324.jpg

So whether you have one big stripe, or a large stripe and something smaller, I would have the stripe swept back at the same angle as in the pic. Also I would experiment with whether it should include the cockpit or be farther back. My gut says, on the nose and including the cockpit, but you should play around with that in sketches.

I think the crosses on the wings look fine. If you really wanted to go to town, you could paint them inside a red stripe (in ASCII-vision | + | ), which would give you some color to break up the black, yet still look like a Templar vehicle. "If" you did that on the wings, you'd want to duplicate that on the fuselage.

Anyway, think about it some and see what resonates with you.

And remember, whatever you decide, I'm betting it will be awesome looking.

Cheers,

Andrew, the stripe looks great; especially the smaller stripes with the 'triangular' design - great work.

This is the kind of stripes I had in mind. However, I discovered that there;s a huge gap between having in mind and knowing what to do with it. Actualizing an idea proved to be tough. I can't really decide on the exact pattern for the stripes. With my 1998 IT skills (funny thing, I can post-process photos in Lightroom/Photoshop to a satisfactory degree, but know nothing about any other kinds of image editing and resolve to Paint), I made some embarrassing 'sketches'.

For now, I struggle to decide on how to do the sides; I'll decide later whether to extend the stripes and colours to the nose/ramp and cockpit. But I am quite positive at the moment, that stripes is something I want to try for this vehicle. The colours below are only there to indicate the pattern; as for the actual colours I'm planning to use, they will be regular BT ones: white, red, black, maybe tan. As Honda planted this idea in my head, I also intend to paint Maltese crosses in the stripe(s) and maybe a chain.

Ver. 1 - Front panel only; vertical stripes

Ver. 2 - Front panel only; oblique stripes

Ver. 3 - Front of the fuselage, extending back; oblique stripes

I really struggle with making a decision; all variants look appealing (and there's the option to drop the idea altogether, considering that these kinds of stripes are more a staple of Grey Knights). As I'm typing this, I started to lean towards Ver. 1 or 2 (with possibly extending the striped area all the way to the nose/ramp), as Ver. 3 may turn out to be a bit too much.

I humbly submit these for consideration. Scarlett Chevron on the body, with white templar cross spaced on the side so that the middle on falls squarely on the top third of the door. 

http://i.imgur.com/Npg4Jt5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XkhdaMG.jpg

Great! Thanks for the amazing feedback. For today, it seems that I've made my mind and am going for a 'Ver. 3' kind of thing (also, what Honda did in the first image). I already sketched some lines on the model and they seem to look alright. However, I'm still holding off with the final decision - I've still got some time for consideration.

As for the colours go, I'm planning to add three stripes: a wide red (dark red or crimson) stripe, a narrow black stripe with -- what I hope to be -- a chain and white with black Maltese crosses, the widest of the three.

@TheOneTrueZon - I absolutely love what you proposed. Still, I'm sorry to say that I won't go with your pattern because of the 'tangible' detail, such as vents, 'steps' in armour thickness, vents, etc. that will make the effect you put forward impossible to achieve - notwithstanding their size, the crosses would end up in awkward positions or not be symmetrical (though, as I said - I love it and regret not having thought or asked about this earlier, during assembly).

I am also happy to inform you that I've ordered a custom base with a stem. The one from GW is not tall enough to fit the ' secure slot' I prepared (the vehicle is rather heavy and the stem goes deep into the fuselage - I wanted to be sure that the flyer stands safely on the table; though I'm sure it is a sturdy construction -- it most certainly does feel like one, I don't want to test that the hard way).

What about reversing the direction of the stripes so they run from under the chin up to tho top of the fuselage, behind the cockpit?

That won't look aggressive enough. The proposed lines give the impression the Stormraven is leaning forwards as it charges towards the battlefield. If the line leans the other way, it'll give the impression the Stormraven is leaning backwards as if recoiling in fear.

What about reversing the direction of the stripes so they run from under the chin up to tho top of the fuselage, behind the cockpit?

That won't look aggressive enough. The proposed lines give the impression the Stormraven is leaning forwards as it charges towards the battlefield. If the line leans the other way, it'll give the impression the Stormraven is leaning backwards as if recoiling in fear.

This was my initial idea (I somehow assumed that this is the way the stripes are done in general on 40K vehicles), but I didn't like it. I couldn't really put my finger on what is wrong with this solution, it just felt "odd", but now that I've read Bjorn's comment I think I know what the issue is.

With regard to progress, there is some: I've base-coated the entire fuselage black and did most of the metallic parts. I also started and kind of finished the cockpit (went for a dark blue tint), but I suppose it needs more work. I've never painted large glass areas and I don't think I got it right the first time.

Very astute assessment and I fully agree.

Our stripes are infused with Sigismund's ZEAL,!

They will always lean into battle.

Do you know what the problem with my model flyer is (apart from it being assembled longer than an actual aircraft would be)? Well, I think that it being able to fly, against all odds with its aerodynamics of a tank, should be represented on the table. And now it is!

I collected the custom base and, this time, properly finished the assembly by taking care of the underside and the socket for the stem (I waited with this to get the base and stem, to make sure everything is as it should be).

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060148_zps88yq1j1j.jpg

With regard to painting progress, there isn't much, unfortunately. But I think that one of the least rewarding parts is done. The fuselage is painted black and the metallics are 75% finished. The cockpit is also sort of painted: I feel that it lacks more reflections and/or highlights, but at the same time I feel hasitant with adding those as I don't want to mess up the rather neat paint job I managed to achieve (still, I am sure I'll get back to that). I also sketched with a pencil the front stripes.

Do you know what the problem with my model flyer is (apart from it being assembled longer than an actual aircraft would be)? Well, I think that it being able to fly, against all odds with its aerodynamics of a tank, should be represented on the table. And now it is!

I collected the custom base and, this time, properly finished the assembly by taking care of the underside and the socket for the stem (I waited with this to get the base and stem, to make sure everything is as it should be).

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060148_zps88yq1j1j.jpg

With regard to painting progress, there isn't much, unfortunately. But I think that one of the least rewarding parts is done. The fuselage is painted black and the metallics are 75% finished. The cockpit is also sort of painted: I feel that it lacks more reflections and/or highlights, but at the same time I feel hasitant with adding those as I don't want to mess up the rather neat paint job I managed to achieve (still, I am sure I'll get back to that). I also sketched with a pencil the front stripes.

I think once you add in the stripes it will balance it quite nicely. I find that I over do the white on my vehicles so I respect your ability to make your models come alive while avoiding overdoing the secondary colors. 

In a way, I'd like to go for white as the secondary colour, but I probably do not have the skills to do it properly. I went for white additions on one of my Razorbacks (the recessed areas at the front and back, doors, hatches) and I feel that it doesn't look right. That is why I decided to use grey for the flyer (and most probably with my other ones as well) and probably tan for some of the tanks. Conversely, I like the black and white livery for Templar vehicles that I see people are doing - with their (your) stuff, everything looks great.

How about going for Honda's design, adding crosses similar to your design, then some chains or if you can the vows from the 4th ed. Codex?

those usually work well...

As for chains, here's what I did with my Raven, hopefully it might give inspiration...