A reckless disregard for the Codex Astartes...

The Yak

@ batu: Cheers mate glad you like them. Have you got any projects on the go at the minute? I know you finished your Fire Angels but do you plan on adding anymore or doing another Chapter?

@ SanguiniusReborn: Thankyou. Yes Viraz is a stone cold killer I still need to put some blood on his knife, lets hope its not scout Chanco's!

@ Heathens: Nice one Brother. I am going to hold back on the fluff for the other members of squad VII until I have bounced some ideas off you. Also to start our little war my next squad (squad IV) will be made up of newer members, apart from their sergeant who is the last original member of 4th squad. If you want to think of a story that sees the annihilation of the other original members at Badab then go for it. (just make sure you suffer some losses too!!!!)

@ Prime: Cheers. How are you getting on with your multitude of projects? Looking forward to seeing some Raptors from you.

@ Cpt Uriel Ventris: Very kind of you to say so sir. At least im not a Space Shark eh :teehee:

@ The Creator of Baby Eaters: Cheers Midnight. I am looking forward to more of your work too. Next up is a tac squad which will be pretty basic. Then on to some more badab war veterans, Devastators led by my company marksman and some much needed HQ's

Mini update with no pictures or fluff, (Boooh Hisssss)

Having got back into the painting buzz I am proud to say that I managed to squeeze in an extra painting session today. It was my sons sportsday so took the afternoon off to go and watch him. They did one event and cancelled it because of the rain. I thought "yes sweet Raptor Lovin Bonus session" and sped home and gave the whole of squad IV a devlan mud wash and a first layer highlight. Now hows that for efficiency. I reckon even the honourable Captain Semper would be proud of me for that! I almost forgot to pick my son up from school though....

Talking of my son he had his first games of 40k at the weekend. He is only 9 but picked the game up great. first we played a small battle to get him used to moving and firing etc. I had a combat squaded tac squad (without transport) and my 5 man Sternguard squad. He had 12 Boyz and Nob, 5 Stormboyz (Nob with PC), Deff Dred and a squad of my old plague marines (with 2 bloody plasma guns).

HE TABLED ME!!!

Which was as I intended (honestly). Nothing better than giving someone a good first experience to get them really interested in the hobby.

Cool that you bring your son into the hobby. If he likes it you  will have always someone to play against and that even counts as family time :) Always good when son and father share the same interests.

I'm working on some fantasy stuff at the moment. I can not say when I return to 40k SMs. I would love to do some Xenos actually. Another thing is that I would like to do my next SM army  with an airbrush, but I do not have the money for that :(

Who knows, maybe the new upcoming codex will inspire me a bit :)

Anyway, I'm glad you are posting again and I look forward to the next update.

• 5 weeks later...

I do remember that Chaplin of yours was a recent arrival into your company and was rather headstrong and crusader-like on his arrival, finding great followers amongst the newer inductees but leaving the Badab veterans shaking their heads and nervous.

Some of the Chaplain's fluff was:
- he was a fairly ordinary battle brother
- then he got captured on a rebel world and was forced to be a sort of gladiator (fighting for sport/entertainment of others)
- this went on for a while and through it he found his belief in the emperor becoming more zealous

I hope the board's old data gets restored if no other reason than we get your fluff back, Yak.

Looks good so far. I've had some of the same thoughts regarding a more realistic/feasable Space Marine as far as tactics and subtlety. But then I remember I play Black Templars and Space Wolves...neither care too terribly for Codex Astartes either, but they also both enjoy making noise, yelling and charging into the enemy. Tactics can include flanking, confusion and overpowering, but certainly not subtlety and sneaking. As far as getting sniped, or a leader standing out...well they're part of the charge and if they get sniped out they didn't charge fast enough :teehee:

OK Here we go again. This time I am going to save everything in a Raptors Fluff File on my Comp, Once bitten twice shy and all that

Firstly thanks to all of you who helped with the hints. Some of the Traitor guard fluff may have changed slightly but the majority should read the same.

@ Heathens: Sorry mate I did not see it :sad.:

4th Squad Raptors 5th Company. "The Dusk Runners"

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/008_zpsdb7e9cdd.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/011_zpsc687d29d.jpg

Veteran Sergeant Hytus Mordeas

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/28914d30-fa11-41b7-9e4b-e5bfa3bd704b_zpsaf2d21f2.jpg

Sole survivor of Squad IV (see Badab War reference #64857/A), Mordeas leads the recently re-formed Dusk Runners. Unlike many of "The Few" Hytus realises that the future of 5th company lies with its newer members. A contemporary of Captain Chrysaetos the Sergeant leads some of the most promising marines from those recently promoted to tactical status. Combining a mixture of charisma with emotional intelligence, Hytus understands the importance of an encouraging word over an authoritarian put down and has become an inspiring presence to the more recent inductees to 5th. Indeed it was Mordeas who suggested promoting Dorwin Falyon to lead Squad III after the recent demise of Veteran Sergeant Brydae. Showing that exemplary performance will be rewarded and helping to soften some of the obvious tensions between the Badab War Veterans and 5th's newer members.

An Interesting side note is that Hytus Mordeas is by far and away the best dancer in the entire Company. Often entering battle with a pair of oversized headphones, blasting out a choice selection of his favourite Drum and Bass classics. Captain Chrysaetos often overlooks this blatant breach of battlefield discipline as Mordeas has on numerous occasions won the much coveted Inter Chapter Dance-Off for the Raptors. His most recent victory saw him triumph over the much fancied Veteran Brother Curtiso May'Feld of the Salamanders Chapter, with a Quadruple spinning triple back flipping twin heart breaker to Charles and Eddies" Would I Lie to you Baby". Earning him a rare chuckle from Lias Issodon and an expletive filled tirade from Ultramarines Veteran Sergeant Telion who had to settle for the highest placed oldie for the fifth time in as many years....

Raptors Mohawk Counter: 2

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/5ecaebc3-9d12-40e5-9dc4-0966775b25af_zpsfb9e2629.jpghttp://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/37360ca3-f830-468d-a766-4070efd3b9c7_zpsaa262285.jpg

Captain Navaro Chrysaetos: Raptors 5th Company (MKI Counts as Shrike Mode)

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/011_zpscffeaf06.jpg

"Navaro Chrysaetos. A man of monstrous charisma. A man I am honoured to call brother. A man I am lucky enough to call friend." Lord High Commander Carab Culln. Red Scorpions.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/012_zpsb0a09da3.jpg

Unlike many Captains of the Adeptus Astartes, Chrysaetos wears different suits of armour depending on the specific battle field role. When engaged on elimination missions behind enemy lines with the Vultures (squad VII), the captain bears two relics of the chapter to ensure he has the protection and offensive weaponry to deal with some of the most hellish odds imaginable. The Raptors elimination missions though rare would be strictly prohibited in most codex adherent chapters. Yet for the Raptors the chance to insert a team of the companies best warriors deep into enemy territory to eliminate a primary threat is often favoured over a long drawn out war. Not usually a mission for a captain, Chrysaetos feels that too many of his brothers have died at his command for him to send them on any mission he would not undergo himself.

Armour of Galorax: A suit of armour once worn by a captain of the Raven Guard. Galorax oversaw the training and early field experience of the scout company that would later go on to form the Raptors Chapter in the aftermath of the Horus Heresy. (Counts as Power Armour, Jump pack and Iron Halo)

Claws of the Phoenix: Presented by Corax himself to the first Chapter Master of the Raptors upon their official founding. The master crafted lightning claws were a symbol of the Raven Guard rising from the ashes of Istvan to partake in the scouring. (Counts as The Raven's Talons)

Fantastic stuff, really loving these guys. You've put a lot of thought into the models and it really shows in the army so far as a whole. :thumbsup:

Agreed! :happy.:

Brutal. I'm always a fan of brutal, especially that casual brand of brutal where he doesn't even seem to care about the horrendous things he just did, like every guy he kills is simply a threat to the next guy in line. :devil:  

I quite like the work in this thread, overall. It makes me pine for a few boxes of Forgeworld. Alas, I am poor, and shipping across the pond is about as expensive as the models themselves :tongue.:

Curiosity: Do Raptors not have the same complexion issue as their daddy Chapter?  Also, is the recipe for your green somewhere in here?  I may have to include a Raptor in a Deathwatch squad, some day.  They'd be right at home with my Arrows, I think :)

5th Company Chaplain Alvea Sholo (Recently assigned)

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/008_zps65ee2749.jpg

Alvea Sholo was a battle brother with a solid yet uninspiring combat record up until the Nastir IV escapade. Whilst serving as an assault marine with 8th company Alvea and the remaining members of his squad were cut off from the main Raptors force and declared lost. Shortly afterwards the war against the Ubontaku Jakalists was considered a waste of Astartes resources and the Raptors were reassigned to a higher priority theatre of war. The High Lords deemed the reclamation of the world from the traitorous tribal warlords a task for the Imperial Guard and regiments were sent to wrestle back the troubled world. Alvea had been captured by the gen-hanced blood warriors and forced to fight for their amusement in their bloodthirsty gladiatorial arenas. Being a Raptor, Sholo phlegmatically accepted that he would have to fight and hope an opportunity to escape presented itself.

It took 8 years before any relief force reached the afflicted planet. Regiments of the Pyran Dragoons supported by the 8th BolsIcanni Jaguars and armoured divisions from the Artekan Heavy 10's soon made a mockery of the traitors fortifications. Once the initial resistance was shattered it was a simple case of rolling over the smaller towns and cities. It was Hunt Captain Osko Viskalito of the Bolscanni who found Sholo, almost mistaking him for one of the elite traitor Thorn-Guard. Sholo had butchered the majority of the towns panic stricken garrison and presented himself to the captain drenched head to toe in enemy blood, a chainmail shroud torn and rent covering his massive frame.

With the Imperium being as it is, it was a further 5 years before Alvea was reunited with his chapter. He served the rest of the Nastir IV campaign with the Bolscanni Jaguars. He believed that the Emperor had protected him as he had never given up, fighting through hell each day with the chance of striking back firmly in his mind. He reasoned it was his task to lead the men of the Imperium against the traitors. On his return to the Chapter Alvea was inducted into the ranks of the Chaplaincy and over the years gained a reputation for being a fearless warrior and zealous exemplar of the Imperial Creed. Unlike many in the Raptors Chapter, Alvea adheres to the unusual custom of wearing a back banner. This holds aloft his sacred Rossarius and the chainmail shroud he wore throughout his imprisonment, as a sign that the Emperor protects those who fight on no matter the odds.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/009_zps8427c0e8.jpg

Chaplain Sholo has recently been assigned to 5th Company following the death of venerable Chaplain Barabus in the Badab Wars. Lias Issodon reasoned that the morale and spiritual welfare of the company would be dangerously low and would need a man of Sholo's temperament to guide them through this demanding period. However Captain Chrysaetos is concerned about the effect the zealous chaplain is having upon his company. Sholo's endless rants regarding the despicable actions of the traitors of Badab (note Sholo was deployed elsewhere) has made it difficult for the survivors to express their true feelings and many turn to Epistolary Ibias for there spiritual needs. Sholo is also of a completely different disposition to his predecessor. Whilst Chaplain Barbarus often ignored the occasional casual blasphemy, relying instead on his remarkable tactical mind and battle prowess to accentuate the Emperors benevolence, Sholo favours a tempestuous oratory followed by thunderous charge to get to grips with the enemy. This has earned him a heroic and fearsome reputation with the more recent members, yet the majority of "The Few" believe the Chaplain has a deathwish and will get himself killed wearing a big bloody back banner like that...

Thanks for all the kind words. I appreciate and I am glad you like the good lads of 5th Company.

@ Firepower: Yeah we still have the pale skin and black hair. Believe it or not the flesh looks a little paler in real life, I did not want to go too pale as its hard to make look good (well with my skill level anyway).

The green is really simple. Although there are many stages its dead easy.

1. spray krylon olive drab (castellan green should do if its just a shoulder pad)
  2. heavy wash devlan mud
  3. light drybrush castelan green
  4. light drybrush deathworld forest
  5. tiny drybrush elysian green
  6. wash athonian camoshade
  7. edge highlight elysian green
  8. battle damage

@ Spectre: They're just too damn stealthy lad!

@ Mikhail: I have had that banner for years sitting in my bits box. I didnt think I could incorporate it into my Raptors as we dont usually go for that kind of thing around here. Yet when I made the chaplain he just needed something else to give him more presence and I finally got to use it. I loved all those metal veteran back banners they should re release them in finecast.

OK an update of sorts. Since this is a work in progress log, here is what I have in the pipe line and will be needing some help and advice with. Ive been caught up in the ETL so have just been posting finished stuff for a while

Captain Chrysaetos MKII (Counts as Pedro Kantor)

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/b4a8b1a4-258b-4e2b-a8d5-47b30e4b62b0_zpsbd844d93.jpg

Ive been wanting to do a Pedro counts as for ages now (see earlier in the log) but have never managed to find something I was happy with. I know some people just give a guy a power fist and storm bolter and take the bonus but I wanted to make sure it worked both in fluff terms and in an appropriate miniature.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/9e124967-a399-4b85-9083-91b5099a8d9b_zps831a799f.jpg

Fluff: Obviously if you have been following the thread you will be aware of "The Few". My Badab War Veterans have literally been to hell and back for their Captain. I think this would be represented in him making sternguard scoring. Also his inspiring presence rule would represent his charisma. He is polar opposite to Issodon everyone loves him, even the servitors. Another element of my back story is that the company is low on tanks (see badab war vol 9). I thought Pedro's ability to call down an orbital barrage from a nearby strike cruiser would represent Chrysaetos using his resources to the maximum.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/6d0960ac-f8da-4731-8eb7-5d6174592ce0_zps019bb000.jpg

Miniature: The back pack doubles as an ammo feed for his version of dawns arrow (known simply as Reaper) and a communication booster to his battle barge for that early morning pinpoint orbital strike. Reaper is just the normal commanders storm bolter with an old metal bolter feed (posibly necromunda?) so nothing overly fanciful just practical. Powerfist nice and plain brutal.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/86539bd7-3b80-4578-805e-b02c3c3589d4_zps9aa61127.jpg

Now The base model is the new Lord Executioner I picked it for similarities to my previous version (Shrike counts as), such as the waist tassles and cord on the left leg. However the head was the main reason I went for the model, Thing is folks its proper tiny, really small and it just looks daft on the model. Now fear not It makes a perfect scout biker sergeants head so you will be seeing it soon but I couldn't have Chrysaetos without Mohawk could I? So I used the FW Raven Guard head filled the top flat and gave him one out of GS.

That reminds me... Although I am glad that GW is going Mohawk crazy as I will have an abundance of Mohawks for the lads. A part of me is a little bit upset as I wanted that to be one of the recurring and sort of unique themes of this army. Now everyone will be turning up with them... Ah shut up

Captain Chrysaetos MKIII (Counts as Kor'sarro Khan)

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/2189bb2f-fae1-4c43-8105-c4306f3b8a80_zps922b7327.jpg

Obviously a very early draft and will change drastically. Here's a few ideas but I welcome as many suggestions as possible

1. Each side of the front wheel will have one of the old metal hurricane bolters with a umbra ferrox bolter feed attachment. This will hopefully cover the join between tank track cover and give the impression that the bikes a bit of a monster.
  2. The gap between the guard tank cover and top of wheel wil have some sort of arcane weapon (flamer device) sticking out. More for cosmetics than anything else
  3. Two imperial guard vox horns of the the cadian infantry sprues will be used as old style head lamps with a brass etch imperial eagle on the back of the handlebar display screen.
  4. The back antenna helps bulk up the bike. That's the idea to bulk it up to represent Moondrakkan, also the added comms help convey the outflank rule
  5. Not sure about the rider but I dont really want anything to fancy, may add MKIV legs... Need advice...
  6. Needs some kind of big sword to represent Moon fang
  7. I just hope he is still in the new codex, him and all these other bastards Im slogging my guts out on....

Epistolary Hestain Ibias (Your going to have to use your imagination here folks.....)

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/8a171b83-db96-4d2d-a760-83cdc8850898_zpsca185748.jpg

No its not a new limb trickery psychic power straight out of the forthcoming codex but a quick mock up of a librarian I have wanted to do for years. Remember this scholary genius...

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/b97d4645-5d46-4edf-a7ab-8fd32c09ae7d_zps9f363b08.jpg

A Librarian was always going to present a challenge for my vision of practical and none fussy marines. I couldn't use one of the models with a knee tangling tabard, couldn't use any of the elaborate fancy armour wearing bookworms and certainly no fully robed Dark Vengeance shenanigans for me either.

The idea is (like the majority of my force) to have the weapons show the status of the marine, Like my sternguard having umbra ferrox and combi weaopons  as opposed to fancy attire and gold braids. The force sword was a must but the book adds to the effect. The old devastator legs help to show this guy is not your normal Stannley. Helpfully the old devastator markings on the shins can be changed to librarianesque symbols quite easily.

1. Needs a Grey Knight back torso piece for the psychic hood. The Iron Hands torso with its wires looks similar to the Sevrin Loth model. I will adapt the cog icon to be a horned skull
  2. Will try the Grey knight sword held downwards bits for the handle of the sword and replace blade with the piece in the picture. This may change the angle. I may use a biker arm and do some repositioning of the arm
  3. The arm holding the book will be a problem. I deffo want the book closed like the original model has but don't fancy having to sculpt a full arm. Any Ideas
  4. Not sure about shoulder pads
  5. Not sure about painting him bright blue. Seems un Raptory?
  6. Should I bother with keys or psychic totems (like feathers or something) around the waist of is that just nonscence?

Well thats enough waffle from me. Ive got a devastator squad coming next just needs the bases doing (Yes the sergeant has got a Mohawk).

Then Chrysaetos MKII has to be done by Thursday for the ETL deadline. No problem eh?

Archived