A reckless disregard for the Codex Astartes...

The Yak

Veteran Brother Karkota

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/d0ba3a18-2d6b-45e1-85e9-3cad9e889c89_zps590b44f4.jpg

Brother Karkota, formerly a veteran sergeant leading squad IV throughout the Badab War. A rising star of the Chapter, Karkota took part in many of the bloodiest conflicts of that tragic campaign, serving with distinction consistently on numerous occasions which led to Captain Chrysaetos declaring that one day he would go on to lead the Company.

During the heavy fighting on Sagan III Karkota and his squad came across an overun prison block, containing the tortured and barely alive Captain Valdon of the Marines Errant (thought lost 904.M41). How long the mutilated captain had been there and how he had come to be on this world so far away from Bellerophons Fall (the sight of the Marines Errant massacre) was a mystery that needed answering. Karkota reasoned that with the crippling damage done to the Marines Errant command structure, returning Valdon became his paramount objective. Delegating command of squad IV to the proficient Brother Carovarnae, Karkota made his way back through the ruined streets he had hours before fought his way through. It was at this time that in desperation the Astral Claws began utilising viral weaponry, alongside indiscriminate artillery barrages that would claim as many of the secessionists fighters as loyal Astartes.

Karkota was distraught that his squad had been caught in the inferno. After securing Valdon back to Sagan command, Karkota along with Apothecary Ulandae went back into the ruins to retract squad IV the erstwhile "Dusk Runners" (see Badab War reference #64857/A).

Commander Narvaez presented Karkota with the sash of honour for his efforts in rescuing Valdon (Interred in dreadnought Sarcophagus 908.M41) However Karkota believed he had failed. Only Hytus Mordeas had survived squad IV's annihilation and losing 8 Battle Brothers was in Karkota's eyes unacceptable regardless of the wicked circumstances. He relinquished his position as sergeant and swore to never accept a promotion again. He wares the Sash of honour as a mark of shame to remind him never to leave a brother behind again.

Karkota now serves in Maodes Karib's 1st Squad the "Eyrie Guard". Karib often orders his squad to fight in 2 separate combat squads. Knowing that karkota will not refuse a direct order, Karib (and all of 5th company) can benefit from Karkota's instinctive battlefield acumen, without making Karkota break his word. In the 12 years of intensive combat since the Badab War no member of Karkota's demi-squad has suffered a casualty, whilst their number of victorious actions has yet to be bettered by any squad post Badab.

Veteran Brother Sanz

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/b28ea073-10b5-40f4-b774-a9ab58d232df_zps89ef8eb1.jpg

Heroic Brother Sanz earned veteran status during 906.M41. After Commander Culln had been appointed Magister Militum, the Raptors alongside their Red Scorpion and Sons of Medusa allies took part in a series of successful void warfare engagements. One of the most audacious of these victories was the destruction of  the Astral Claw Strike Cruiser Ignatus Helebore. A two pronged boarding assault was devised with a diversionary attack on the ship's bridge acting as a ruse to attract the main forces of the defenders to commit to battle, allowing a secondary force led by Techmarine Bardo to cripple the ships plasma drives.Squad II penetrated close to the bridge but within minutes came under heavy fire by Tyrant legion guardsmen bolstered by elite squads of Astral Claws. It is a miracle itself that they were not destroyed in the first 20 minutes but concentrated, efficient bolter fire allowed the Raptors to secure a 20 metre stretch of corridor. When the order came from Bardo to evacuate, Sergeant Jago replied that it was impossible and vowed to die fighting the Astral Claws who were about to over run their position. It was Brother Sanz and Brother Naso the squads plasma gunner who stepped forward and volunteered to hold the breach for as long as it took to evacuate the other members of their squad. The last thing Jago saw as he boarded the Caestus was Sanz firing Naso's plasma gun relentlessly, stood over the body of his fallen comrade.

If it was a miracle that any members of squad II survived that action then it was nothing more than the Emperor's intervention when two days later a comunique from the Sons of Medusa battle barge Iron Maiden signalled the Shadow Stalker regarding a marine they had recovered from the void. Thought dead Sanz's body was floating in space near the destruction of the Ignatus Helebore. A Sons of Medusa Thunderhawk had recovered the suit of armour immediately after the ships demise.The majority of Sanz body had been frozen due to the inactivity of the mucranoid organ, but life still beat in one of his hearts. When the Sons of Medusa heard of his heroic deeds they provided significant bionic augmentation to replace the dead and frozen areas of his flesh. When he returned to his Chapter it was thought that he would spend the rest of the campaign in the apothecarium recovering from his ordeal, this was not to the liking of Brother Sanz who declared himself fit for combat and went on to serve with distinction on Gargathea III.

Veteran Brother Curzon

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/b04da116-fca6-4db9-9469-8826796fe175_zps36b28a9a.jpg

Like many of the Badab War veterans, Brother Curzon wears additional bands of penance. Losing so many of their battle brothers in such a a short period has effected some of the older members of 5th company more than others. Whilst the  divide between the new intake and the veterans is considered by many to be a way of motivating the newer members to learn fast and be accepted, some of them Curzon included treat the new recruits with nothing but disdain. Maodes Karib, Sergeant of 1st squad is the most vocal member of this group and his demi squad is full of the old guard, often referring to the newer members as 'wastes of the Primarch's seed'.

Curzon's black penance band represents the 66 lost Brothers of 5th Company. He is required to wear it until he has slain 66 renegade or traitor marines. Unfortunately he has spent the majority of the last decade fighting Orks along the fringes of the Segmentum Solar. However with rumoured Black Legion presence along the Beliphium front, Curzon looks forward to seeking his self derived atonement and showing the new bumbling idiot fools who don his Chapter colours how a real Raptor fights.

Veteran Brother Lorn

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/63b8369c-41ab-41ce-8ff4-352117524e53_zps4b3478c2.jpg

A dour old veteran much in the mould of Lias Issodon, Brother Lorn believes that his company is doomed. Unlike many of "the few" who believe it is their role to ensure the future of the company to honour those fallen brethren, Lorn believes that they all should have died at Badab. Harbouring a hatred for the Astral Claws and their traitorous allies, Lorn was irate when he discovered that the high lords had 'forgiven' the Lamenters, Mantis Warriors and Executioners. Disillusioned with the Imperium and wanting nothing more to pursue the Red Corairs into the maelstrom and destroy them once and for all, Brother Lorn walks a fine line between malcontent and madness.

Veteran Brother Ulazaen

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/3e346b4a-d452-48ce-b907-be8519a982bf_zps0aaa2178.jpg

Brother Ulazaen, exemplar of the Raptor way, solid, pragmatic, efficient. Ulazaen was not affected by the Badab War. He accepts that it was a hell hole and that his Company was severely damaged, yet believes that thus is the position of the Astartes. It is his opinion that any enemy of the Throne is an enemy to be fought, loses are expected but victory will be achieved. Ulazaen was relatively young and inexperienced at the onset of the Badab War, serving in a devastator squad initially before going on to fight in squad VIII and then Squad V. By the end of the war he had accounted for over 480 secessionist personnel including 22 confirmed renegade astartes kills.

Ulazaen shuns the company of Karib's hardcore veterans and often fights alongside the more reasonable but no less brilliant 'Dimi' Karkota. Ulazaen shares Captain Chrysaetos' vision of a rebuilt 5th company and thinks Karib's bitterness towards the newer members stinks of arrogance more befitting a Minotaur than a Raptor. However recognising that he does not have to like everyone he fights alongside, Ulazaen keeps his mouth shut and just gets on with the job, fighting wherever the Emperor requires him.

So another medium-long break. I have had lots on with Family sickness, finishing my Degree, applying for serious jobs and the like so have not had much time for the hobby. Even worse I have not even had time to browse the B&C looking for inspiration and my final sin is not being able to immerse myself in the ETL as much as would have wanted. However redemption is at hand.

Anyway looking at Dorns_Fist's Amazing Scythes blog slapped me in the face the other day and made me pull my finger out. Check it out here....... http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/290022-scythes-of-the-emperor-07714chaplain-timepage8/

Armond: The Swords are from the White Scars Bike upgrade set from Games Workshop. I love them. I have 3 more like this and am debating how to fit them into my army. Honour Guard for Issodon? Maybe in 10 years time when I get round to doing him.

Teetengee: My Photo account has been playing up recently. Is it any better now? Its another one of my legendary blurry photo's anyway so you are not missing out on much!

The rest of you Brothers: Thanks. Forgive me for not being in contact with the community so much. Hopefully I will get a chance to catch up with all of your own masterpieces shortly :smile.::smile.:

A while ago some of you asked for more pictures of Chrysaetos (Pedro Kantor version). So here you go.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/efe22e73-7e75-4104-a9b0-af4d65199abf_zps45dcece6.jpg

Side view of Bolter feed

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/918ca0f3-92ee-4a87-bb65-61abd725a8dc_zps10f70970.jpg

Feed to back pack link. Note bottom right of back pack contains anti grav technology to lighten the load of the back pack with its high ammunition load on one side and Orbital and communication arrays allowing Chrysaetos to command a wide theatre of war including void battles from the front line. There should have been a comma in there somewhere.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/d5cd9c58-6df8-46d3-8695-aa52612ba0a2_zps62d325b4.jpg

I have dirited and bloodied up his base. Still not got round to adding some singed grass and weathering dust to blend him into the base more. I will most likely do this army wide.

WIP Lexicanum Klius Rulae

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/76f78ea2-6ec6-447a-b16b-e7db691315fc_zps3976ca82.jpg

Wanted to do this guy for a while. he is WIP at present (No Really?) not sure whether to shorten the force axe shaft. The idea is that his powers were discovered on initial induction and the Librarium see great potential in him. He is accompanying Epistolary Ibias and is allowed to develop his psychic powers in battle. His back pack counts as a psychic hood and also a psy-deadener if Rulae attempts to harness more powers than Ibias thinks he is ready for. Kind of like Psychic stabilizers if you will.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/9bd41d1f-a5fc-4cb8-85db-277b9dd7cc6d_zps252dcb2e.jpg

A Raptor Biscuit for anyone recognises where the head is from?

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/9b35c560-316a-4f76-b38e-bfc27f8d0afc_zpsc74db5fd.jpg

He is pictured on the scout sergeants bike at the moment. I will be adding scrolls and a book to his bike and possibly some other psychic trinkets. And possibly some toilet paper as scouts need to crap unlike their power armoured brethren.

WIP Grav Gun Bike Squad

Working on a grav bike squad to go with my combi grav wielding techmarine. Why? My mates doing Black Legion Terminators in bulk and I want to see them squished. Also I have never painted a grav gun. Think I will be going with blue instead of green glow though.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/040fd8c9-4c7b-47f7-b42a-e9694b194028_zps25fc3954.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/675852b9-65d5-4b8f-a44f-49249955eb53_zps36c95b1c.jpg

Work Desk

Painting: Currently half way through the other 5 man squad of Sternguard and a Redeemer. Hope to get these done by the end of the weekend (Every time you say something like this you disappear for a month :unsure.: )

Modeling: Epistolary Hestain Ibias. Lexicanum Klius Rulae. 5 man Scout Bike squad. 5 man Grav Bike Squad. Land Raider Helios. Cypher

A Raptor Biscuit for anyone recognises where the head is from?

Wish I knew (though I have a sneaking suspicion Raptor Biscuits are probably worse than hard tac); but I'm dying to learn where it comes from in the future! That's a great head, and has a lot of character! 

A very well thought out demi squad Yak! :happy.: Karkota and Chrysaetos are amongst my favourites (both bad asses in an army of bad asses! :happy.: )

Whaaaaa if Kantors ammo pack holds 500 rounds (if I remember correct from rynns world) then surely that big ass pack hold 2k lol

'Come at me bro' is what he's saying.

Looks like I'll be borrowing some poses again too lol

Thank you so much for the link into my thread too brother.

Teetengee: Nothing a bit of battle damage, camouflage and war paint cant sort out :wink:

Bio: Great to see you to Brother, had a wee break yourself I see. Looking forward to seeing what your helish mind is going to unleash on us once more.

Chaplain: Raptor Biscuits exist it's just that nobody has ever seen one. Its from the second version of the Ratskin Renegade gang from Necromunda. Will see if I can find an image for you. Intend to do glowing eyes and mouth ready for a psychic blast.

Spectre: Cheers bud. Loving your Black Guard Dude.

Aqs: Cheers mate, more to come I promise....

DF: Cheers. I wanted a back pack as the base model had the assault pack straps and I wanted to justify them. Think it makes sense to for an assault 4 weapon to be represented appropriately. Its got room for his sandwiches in there too :biggrin.: .

Regarding sharing the link I felt it necessary. Not only is it a great log that people need to see, but I had been that busy lately that the hobby had been dumped on a back burner. Seeing your Scythes with all their battle damage, great poses and fluff, really stoked the fire in me to start modelling again. I feel there is some poetic justice that it was the Scythes that inspired me not to give up!

Painting in progress: 5th Company Marksman Nathaniel Aggamon

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/1debb90a-ca31-47cf-ab1a-a563170300d1_zpsfb652f90.jpg

Brother Yak, Have you thought about using the Legion Recon Marines kit from FW at all for your Raptors? They look like something that would be very much at home with what you're putting together.

Really  nice amount of output Yak :thumbsup:

The bikers look amazing and the metal head is great ( I love the first incarnation of the Necromunda Ratskins; the wonderful Perry sculpts. I'm not that keen on the newer sculpts, but the head is a great choice :wink:).

I think a group shot would be mandatory at this point :cool.:

• 2 weeks later...

Did somebody say...bikes?

I love everything here, dude. Perhaps what I am most keen on is the weathering effect you've got going on, it's gritty and looks realistic. I love the mix of armour marks on each marine and the little bits of spot colour you've added here and there - really does a lot to throw the stark Raptor scheme into contrast. Oh, and I'm keen to see how you do your bikes  ;)

If you really want nitpicks, I feel like Rulae's axe shaft is too long for a biker, but would look brilliant in the hands of a power-armoured battle brother. It would surely be too long to be effective when fighting from the saddle? This isn't important though - as it is the axe stands out very well and he looks great. I can see what others mean when saying he's 'flashier' than the rest of the force but this is something your paint scheme will probably deal with.

Great stuff, I need to come out of stasis and get my arse back in gear, you're making me miss the hobby again.

Archived