The Exeter Crusade (Foulest Heresy!) 1MAR2016

Krikey

are you an airbrush fan/user? i've been wanting to get one, but no job dictates no warhammer stuff right now <_<

I own a couple of airbrushes. I use them mostly on larger models. After priming, I do a lighter spray for a subtle zenith highlight. I also use them for areas that are supposed to glow. You can get a really smooth, brilliant white that way, and that's also how I did the red for the intake ports and exhausts on the caestus (and on my land speeders on the first page.) Most things I just paint with a brush.

If you do invest in one, I'd suggest a regular air compressor instead of one made specifically for airbrushes. Mine is in the garage, and I have a 50 foot hose that I run through into my office when I want to use the airbrush. The hose attaches to a secondary regulator (so I don't have to go into the garage to make adjustments) and I have two water-traps in sequence -- one at the airbrush and one at the regulator. I think my total airbrush investment was about $250. (edit--- that doesn't include the original airbrush I bought several years ago that was both expensive and a worse brush than my new one. )

~K

Absolutely gorgeous work all the way. Now when I'll start painting my own stuff next week, no matter how well it'll turn out I'll be bummed they won't look like those... :P

Here's another shot of the caestus. The text has not yet been added -- I've mocked it up through Photoshop to see how it would look when I do add it. It shouldn't be a big problem to do, but I was considering making the text smaller and more dense, which would increase the difficulty considerably.

Anyone have a suggestion?

~K

gallery_60019_7476_108504.jpg

I think you have the right size of script, though I would offer that on the vertical surface you might want to consider placing two lines of text instead of one. That may mean sliding the entire passage down a bit, but that "seems" better to me.

Otherwise, the rest of the model makes me feel dirty, but in a good way. :P

What does the script say? A nice mockup, but would like to see more, closer pics.

The entire script (port and starboard sides) will say, in English, "Destroy all the places in which the nations, that you shall possess, worshipped their gods upon high mountains, and hills, and under every shady tree: Overthrow their altars, and break down their statues, burn their groves with fire, and break their idols in pieces: destroy their names out of those places."

I'll post more pics tomorrow evening, most likely. I had to put away all my little dudesmen and their conveyances until then -- I'm trying to sell my house and have two showings tomorrow.

I think you have the right size of script, though I would offer that on the vertical surface you might want to consider placing two lines of text instead of one. That may mean sliding the entire passage down a bit, but that "seems" better to me.

Otherwise, the rest of the model makes me feel dirty, but in a good way. :P

Yeah, that bothers me, too. If I add another line there, however, I have to pull from somewhere else, unless I add more script. The options are pull from the top, which is actually a larger space, or pull the line from the thin, angled section, which would leave a noticeable gap in the text. I could make the text smaller and use the entire script from above on the port side of the caestus, and this would allow me more leeway in for line breaks (larger text makes for larger words, leaving unfortunate breaks -- these leave empty spaces which I'm not entirely comfortable with. If I use the entire text on the port side, then on the starboard side, I could use:

And Sigismund rained upon Herediam and Gorram brimstone and fire from the Emperor on his throne. And he destroyed these cities, and all the country about, all the inhabitants of the cities, and all things that spring from the earth.

And Sigismund got up early in the morning, and in the place where he had stood before with Dorn: He looked towards Herediam and Gorram, and the whole land of that country: and he saw the ashes rise up from the earth as the smoke of a furnace.

Igitur Sigismund pluit super Herediam et Gorram sulphur et ignem a Imperator ex cathedra. Et subvertit civitates has et omnem circa regionem universos habitatores urbium et cuncta terrae virentia.

Sigismund autem consurgens mane ubi steterat prius cum Dorn. Intuitus est Herediam et Gorram et universam terram regionis illius viditque ascendentem favillam de terra quasi fornacis fumum.

It's a bit longer than the first text, but it's roughly the same size. With creative line breaks, I could make it take the same number of lines. However, I do like the larger text -- I just don't like the empty spaces. And ... that much freehand text is going to give me nightmares. But it could be cool.

Oh, and dirty is good. :lol:

~K

WOW!! just WOW!!!

Change nothing and paint the text as is!! Its perfect!

I suppose the cestus isnt highlighted yet or the picture doesnt show it...

Its turning out AWESOME!! is the the Cestus of Squad AWESOME?

if the cestus is so cool how cool will the pimps riding inside be???????????????

"Destroy all the places in which the nations, that you shall possess, worshipped their gods upon high mountains, and hills, and under every shady tree: Overthrow their altars, and break down their statues, burn their groves with fire, and break their idols in pieces: destroy their names out of those places."

Yep, sounds like templar modus operandi to me. Is that quote original or did you find it somewhere?

Beautiful, beautiful work. I found this thread just after finishing Helsreach and I'm seriously having to fight myself not to start a Templars army on top of everything else I've got to get finished. One question, what colours did you use for the OSL on the eyes? I normally do mine green but I've been looking for a good recipe for glowing red eyes for a while.

I found this thread just after finishing Helsreach and I'm seriously having to fight myself not to start a Templars army

The "Zeal" is strong with this one. I think you should seriously consider donning some black with white shoulder pads. It'll change your life. :P

Go on, you know you want to.

!

I suppose the cestus isnt highlighted yet or the picture doesnt show it...

if the cestus is so cool how cool will the pimps riding inside be???????????????

I've only done a little bit of zenithal highlighting with an airbrush. I'll do some more highlighting a bit later -- kind of a diss between the frost highlighting on the Templar dread and the cloudy highlighting currently on the Achilles. (The Achilles will also be receiving some frost).

One of the squads using the caestus as transport is the Space Hulk squad on the first page. I'm also modding a cc termi squad -- I'll post pics of it soon.

]

Yep, sounds like templar modus operandi to me. Is that quote original or did you find it somewhere?

Found it, as M2C mentioned, in the bible. There are several sites with Latin vulgate translations, and the old testament is filled with passages like that. Sometimes I'll modify them a bit with names of our heroes, as I did in the other passage above. I also use Maleficos non patieris vivere quite liberally -- Suffer not a witch to live. Gotta make use of that fire-and-brimstone upbringing somehow. ;)

It's from the bible. It was used alot as a divine mandate to kill infidels and such.

Yep!

One question, what colours did you use for the OSL on the eyes? I normally do mine green but I've been looking for a good recipe for glowing red eyes for a while.

I use mechrite red as a base and highlight up to red gore. Then I add a thin layer of skull white. (The Vallejo equivalents of these colors, actually -- I bought a full set of more than 100 colors on eBay for about $120 a coupled years back.) Honestly, I usually grab what looks good. I'm not very good at sticking to formulae. :/

I know I said I'd post more pics this evening ... I may or may not have a chance. My wife wants to go to a reggae fest tonight, and she speaks with the voice of Dorn himself. :( If I get back in time, I'll post.

~K

All right ... current state of the caestus. I finally made a lightbox. It's not really big enough, but it works all right, I suppose. I've started doing basic weathering and highlighting. I'll add more after I've done the text, but some needed to be done first. I included a couple of detail pics. (I hate how things appear in larger than life pics. Ugh.) Also, in normal light, it really is much darker than it appears here. Not sure what to do about that.

gallery_60019_7476_217628.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_527161.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_425451.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_65180.jpg

~K

Wow, even at this stage, it looks deadly awesome...and your Tartan-fu is still strong.

I'm really, loving this model and everything you've done.

Cheers,

Thanks, Honda. I appreciate your comments (and those of everyone else). The feedback gives me the push to keep going. Two weeks until school, and now my wife wants to take a vacation next week. Not sure I can tell her I don't want a vacation without getting the Evil Death Stare From Hell.

~K

Two weeks until school, and now my wife wants to take a vacation next week. Not sure I can tell her I don't want a vacation without getting the Evil Death Stare From Hell.

Do you think she'd believe that we'd all be stuck on the wrong planet if you don't complete this? :lol:

Hey, family is always more important that toys. I just celebrated my 20th anniversary with my wife (+ four children) and toys can wait. It would kill me to have to wait until you get mid-semester (or whatever) to finish this beauty, but I will wait if I have to. Your stuff is worth it.

You've already given us a bunch of other stuff to drool over. Besides, maybe someone else will pick up the Caestus torch and carry on.

Just do the right thing. The rest of the stuff will take care of itself.

Cheers,

Did you paint a :D tartan on your shield?!?!

Yeah, it's a crusade-wide thing. Not a crusade badge, exactly, but a tribute to my marshal's personal heraldry. So far I also have it on my marshal's shield and cloak and on my LRC. The Achilles will be getting it on its unfinished side today, maybe, and I'll do something with elites, as well. Basically, any unit that has fought under MKallan long enough gets the tartan. The dreads don't, because that might be dishonorable to the brothers within, who were interred before MKallan became marshal (possibly even before he was born). Nor do the chaplains, because they give honor only to the chapter and Emperor.

Hey, family is always more important that toys. I just celebrated my 20th anniversary with my wife (+ four children) and toys can wait. It would kill me to have to wait until you get mid-semester (or whatever) to finish this beauty, but I will wait if I have to. Your stuff is worth it.

Thanks! And I was (mostly) kidding. I'm having a blast painting right now, but I really do need to get away for a week before classes, and my wife is a lot more important to me than anything else. She's generally very supportive of my hobby: "Oh my god, your stress is stressing me out! Go play with your little guys!" She as it in a nice way, though. She really does have an Evil Death Stare, but it's reserved for times that I really deserve it. :)

20th anniversary? Congratulations! And on the kiddos. I've only just passed the five-year mark myself. And though I love kids, none yet. It'll probably happen about the time I'm struggling with gross anatomy.

~K

Ok, so here's my happy little terminator chaplain. His conversions are complete, and he's been primed. I can't work on the caestus any more at the moment; I'm waiting on oil paint to dry (takes about a day for it to set enough that I can spray varnish it).

And yes, that's a rat. I don't know where it came from -- the things are sneaky, even the big ones.

gallery_60019_7476_472987.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_227183.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_249534.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_363864.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_112752.jpg

~K

Archived