The Exeter Crusade (Foulest Heresy!) 1MAR2016

Krikey

At a second glance, the abundance of scrolls and seals does help break up the over all shape, but I would still recommend making that cross bigger.  From the back he's just the right mix of color and black, though: you know he's a Templar, but you can also tell he's a boss, cuz he's got lots of fancy bits.

Sigh...they're so...dreamy....

The Caestus belongs in the Louvre. Seriously. It is a brilliant piece of work.

<now I have to go back and do my exhaust nozzles. Thanx for that. :P>

The MoS is also extremely well done. However <other shoe drops> and it kills me to say this, but I agree with Firepower. The tabard needs to be your white or a red. The model gets lost in all the black. I don't know if you can do that by increasing the size of the cross or not, but to have gone this far on such an incredible model, it deserves that extra bit to make it legendary.

Just seeing the fabric work you did on this makes wince to say it, but I believe you can take it all the way to the top.

Cheers,

it kills me to say this, but I agree with Firepower.

Now where did I leave that paddle...

You should know by now that I am infallible. Agreeing with me just means you've got a good head on your shoulders.

Until you disagree, and I knock it off your shoulders.

devil.gif

Edit- 3000 posts! :) Seems like a fitting one, what with the mentions of paddlin' and my flawless logic. :teehee:

This may be a little far out there, but you could paint the tabard the same way you painted the background of the shields on the sides of caestus. That plaid pattern.

This may be a little far out there, but you could paint the tabard the same way you painted the background of the shields on the sides of caestus. That plaid pattern.

I was actually thinking something similar last night (when I was supposed to be studying). I seem to remember a couple of regulars here not thinking tartan suitable for a Templar crusade, but I wholeheartedly disagree (obviously). One of my final goals is to have a bit of the tartan on every character, vehicle, Sword Brother, and worthy initiate in the crusade.

I don't think I'm capable of producing the rough-hewn effect combined with the tartan, though, so it might have to go a bit finer, an idea with which I'm not extremely pleased ...

But who knows. I could try.

~K

@Firepower: It didn't kill me to agree with your cranky self, it killed me that I couldn't just let him off the hook easy, when I know he's capable of more.

Black  Templars: We are your brother's keeper

@Firepower: It didn't kill me to agree with your cranky self, it killed me that I couldn't just let him off the hook easy

I know. I was just having fun smile.png

I would recommend against a tartan tabard. Strongly. It's a pretty awesome fine detail piece on the crusade symbols, but I think on a space that large with a spotted black background it would just look like a magic eye test.

Not wanting to give him a normal "white" tabard, but concerned at the thought that Firepower might cross his eyes and see a xenos psyker kitten in a tartan tabard, I decided to go with red. Here are some pics. He's done for now, but I will likely touch him up when his squad is near completion if he needs any unification modification.

I'm not decided on the eyes, btw. I can flick them out of the sockets with the tip of a scalpel and try something else if need be. And maybe I should stop posting such large images -- seeing him on my monitor four times his actual height makes me want to go back and touch up my minis immediately. mellow.png

gallery_60019_7478_1089299.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_676.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_388410.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_125144.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_262362.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_353026.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_47690.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_42426.jpg

~K

Now that's a proper Templar. I approve. You may continue to paint ;)

Thank you for your permission. I will proceed to weather and otherwise abuse him posthaste.

(Actually, I will likely be busy helping out at the hospital and community centers over the next week or two, so between that and studying for upcoming exams, I likely won't be painting or posting much if at all.)

~K

And maybe I should stop posting such large images -- seeing him on my monitor four times his actual height makes me want to go back and touch up my minis immediately. mellow.png

As if there's anything needing a touch-up anymore at that point eek.gif

Awesome miniature brother! That skull is amazing.

I have to ask though, whats with the rat?

It's obviously xeno psycher kitten bait.

I didn't see it before, but did something go wrong on his collar/throatguard thing? It looks...messy.

<cue Sammy Hagar> RED, RED, I WANT RED, SOME LIKE IT HOT, BUT I LIKE IT RED!

Well done, you've done a brilliant job on him. I can't say that I dig the big rat and don't really think the base needs it, but the figure is 10/10...and I love the eyes.

On a personal note, I'll be keeping you Okies in my prayers.

Cheers,

Awesome miniature brother! That skull is amazing.

I have to ask though, whats with the rat?

It's obviously xeno psycher kitten bait.

I didn't see it before, but did something go wrong on his collar/throatguard thing? It looks...messy.

@Firepower: Exactly! That's the main thing I was looking at when I said I need to touch it up, but I believe it will require more than a touch-up. I'll need to rip the entire gorget off, smooth the bare surface, and try again. This time I'll use putty instead of plastic card stock and will make sure it's smooth before I paint and mount it.

@reckoning34: My bases all have a similar theme -- the Crusade is reclaiming a lightly industrialized world that has almost fallen to chaos. The Ultramarines tried to reclaim it and failed; now the Black Templars have arrived. The most prominent of the chaos powers on this planet is Nurgle, so there is a lot of rust and decay on the bases, and the toxic environment causes a significant amount of rust on armor and vehicles, as well (much of which I still need to add to mostly finished models -- the concept tends to evolve as I go along). I've got more rats to paint and mount and some other decay/disease oriented fluff bits. The caestus base is getting a couple of smaller ones, and maybe a crow as well. Eventually. When I get time.

@Honda: Thanks for the thoughts -- my family and I came through ok, but there are a lot who didn't. As for the rat, it blends reasonably well with the base at non-magnified non-close up view. Not very noticeable. I think. But I'm often wrong.

~K

• 3 months later...

It's been awhile since I've posted anything in here, so here are a few additions to the Exeter Crusade.

First, my bastion is complete. I will add some icicles later on, but they're fiddly, and I don't have the time or patience right now.

gallery_60019_7478_91888.jpg

And ... some pics of the TDA assault squad I did for the ETL. I've gone back and done some more detailing on them, so they're mostly complete now.

The next few are of the chaplain and a couple of TH/SS brethren:

gallery_60019_7478_252588.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_321021.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_76930.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_20096.jpg

My gamble piece. I was gambling that we would have the option of an apothecary in TDA. Didn't happen.

gallery_60019_7478_208811.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_99955.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_60620.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_216226.jpg

Lightning claws. I'm going to redo the claws. I don't like them. I like the red-hot chain, but the claws? Not so much. They look like glow sticks at a rave. I'm thinking of just going with an aged steel look or with the paintjob I have on my marshal's claws.

gallery_60019_7478_55232.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_144980.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_229268.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_22969.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_201219.jpg

Thunder hammers and storm shields.

gallery_60019_7478_51888.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_43452.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_118075.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_113747.jpg

And that's it for now.

~K

Totally stealing that Servitor.  I've been wracking my brain trying to think of how to make Cenobytes out of the bog standard Servitors, and so far only have one idea (one really good idea, but still, I need 3+ ;) ).

Anyway, guys like these always make me look at my models and contemplate teh possibility of going back to spatter them in bloody goodness.  I'm terrified of messing with a finished model in teh slightest though, so I'll just leave it to folks like you...and maybe throw it on a centerpiece HQ here and there :D

Out of all of it though, my favorite detail is easily the checkerboard leg :tu:  I do love me some old school checker iconography, before those damn Goffs monopolized them!

Archived