The Exeter Crusade (Foulest Heresy!) 1MAR2016

Krikey

Ok, saved all those to my Krikey folder. Their safe.

Your Chaplain is still one of my favorite pieces you've done, but your termies are no less fantastic. I do agree with you on the lightning claws. It seems like they ought to work the way you did them, but they don't. I don't know if taking the yellow up to a white would accomplish that or not (might experiment on one), but the steel sounds interesting.

The only other thing I would comment on is some of your jewels, seem a tad bright to me (blue ones), but that might just be the camera doing that. Since you have mastered the subdued/low contrast technique, some of those blue gems on the shields seem off a bit.

I know were getting to the part of the year where Krikey goes into hibernation till summer, so if this is it till next May, I can wait for your next inspiration.

You continue to honor us with your work.

Cheers,

Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

@Firepower: Steal away. I've got another couple of models I'll be using as extra cenobytes. I'll post them here eventually. Do the checks outweigh the tartan, then? By the way, if anyone decides to do the checkerboard, I would suggest doing it before attaching the loincloth. I got so frustrated doing the inner portion I considered cutting his leg off to do it, but I finally got it done.

@Honda: I'll likely get the claws changed out this weekend sometime. I've an exam on Friday, so I've put everything away for the next few days. And the gems are really bright, as are the lights on the bastion. I'll tone them down when I do the claws. They need a several shade coats and some final pale highlights. I don't know how they got so bright, really. It' is partially the light, but it's not the camera -- any daylight sends them into color-spasm, it seems, and i didn't even use fluorescents on them. Go figure. The violet gems are actually even brighter than the blue up close and in daylight. Under my painting LED lights, they don't do that. The lights are supposed to be 5700K, but I dunno.

Not completely disappearing yet. I've been able to keep things moderately balanced, so I'll continue chugging along until Step 1 begins to loom too large. I've got Helbrecht and Grimmy lined up, and I'll start on them as soon as I get Helbrecht's helm the way I want. I'll hopefully get it sorted this Friday, and then I can begin painting.

~K

• 2 weeks later...

Right. So, I repainted the lightning claws with metallics. I subdued the heat glow of the chains, but am now thinking maybe I should just get rid of what's supposed to be a heat effect in the chains entirely and repaint them with plain metallics. Still haven't retouched the gems (I only had about an hour to work on them yesterday), but they're on my list.

gallery_60019_7478_58449.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_101183.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_44286.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_2182.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_88775.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_51270.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_110142.jpg

And finally, my next project's transport -- I've got the black and bronze base done -- still have to do all the white and red and the light effects, the final highlighting/shadowing, the banner, etc ... but it's a start. I'm going to add another huge templar cross to the top, but I'm not sure of the positioning yet, so I stopped there. That, and my allocated time had expired for the week. Grrr ...

gallery_60019_7478_147206.jpg

Didn't get everything in one post, so see post #181 for LC TDA and LRR WIP pics.

@tvih Yes, it's fragile, but not as much as it might be. I melted some clear plastic rod (same technique as for my icicles) and pulled it thin, and that makes up the thicker strands of gore. Those are glued into place into depressions drilled into the LC and viscera. I painted over those with Tamiya red, and if you let the Tamiya red become tacky as you paint, you can draw out thin strands like you see above. The Tamiya strands are extremely delicate, but they're supported by the acrylic rod. Still -- not something I would want to do if I actually played.

Forgot to add progress pics of my Master of the Forge:

gallery_60019_7476_42146.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_61845.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_76369.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_137937.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_51433.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_3825.jpg

This is the continuation of the TM biker from the first page of this thread. I've still got a lot of work to do. Filling, filing, sanding, smoothing, adding, cutting ... a bit depressing, but I'll get it sorted eventually. I'm also considering removing the front wheel and replacing it with an oversized one. That would necessitate building the entire wheel from scratch, though. *sigh*

~K

Well, those guys look beautiful in a sort of "We have come to claim the rest of your short miserable life" kind of way.

I think you're right, without glowey claws, the heat effect on the chains doesn't necessarily go with the rest of the equipment.

I also have to comment on the "gore guy". You know you're in a lot of trouble when the guy with lightning claws, turns off the power* so he can cut you up the old fashioned way.

* I wouldn't change a thing, but my first thought was,"Shouldn't the lighting claws have cauterized the wounds? " Then it occurred to me, this guy is BAAAD, he turned off the power so he could just hack him up. Very awesome.

Also seems like you are working some of your anatomy lessons into your art. Two thumbs up!

Well, those guys look beautiful in a sort of "We have come to claim the rest of your short miserable life" kind of way.

I think you're right, without glowey claws, the heat effect on the chains doesn't necessarily go with the rest of the equipment.

I also have to comment on the "gore guy". You know you're in a lot of trouble when the guy with lightning claws, turns off the power* so he can cut you up the old fashioned way.

* I wouldn't change a thing, but my first thought was,"Shouldn't the lighting claws have cauterized the wounds? " Then it occurred to me, this guy is BAAAD, he turned off the power so he could just hack him up. Very awesome.

Also seems like you are working some of your anatomy lessons into your art. Two thumbs up!

Yeah ... I decided:

1) They need to match the thunder hammers (which are also portrayed incorrectly)

2) There are precedents for the non-powered appearance of lightning claws and thunder hammers in official GW materials

3) I like blood, because it makes my guys look really mean

Oh, and my anatomy professors would be appalled at the proportions of some of that viscera ...

The Techmarine...I will find something to nitpick sooner or later. I can't let you win. But he's absolutely amazing...for now! tongue.png

You just kicked one of the fundamental foundations of my B&C BT forum worldview right out from under me. I'm distressed.

Oh, but just wait until I drape him in Knights Templar hunting tartan! Ye'll goan yer dinger ower it!

~K

Oh, and my anatomy professors would be appalled at the proportions of some of that viscera ...

That's because they've only been exposed to normal human physiology. We on the other hand, must account for the super human, the heretical, the blasphemous, and the alien.

That must be why it looked normal to me. :P

"Whether the earthbound avian organism crossed the standard construct transport pathway or the standard construct transport pathway crossed the earthbound avian organism depends upon your frame of reference."

-Tech Adept 31n5-T31n

By the way, you know the sponson shields on the Redeemer are on backwards, right? :D

Lol. I didn't even notice. I magnetized them and intended to switch the polarity between the two sides so such a thing wouldn't happen, but I guess I fouled that up. Ah, well. They were easy to switch. I'm glad you mentioned it before I started with the detailing -- if I'd done part of a big Templar cross on one as is, I might have been a bit frustrated. :)

~K

Hey Krikey aren't you also the one who made the "King" Helbrecht model? can you point me out to which thread that was in I was going to make references on the Crown of Crosses that was initially designed by FP, but I couldn't find his art or the model that you made... thanks in advancethanks.gif

Sorry for the late reply, Roujakis -- next week is an exam block, so I've been busy studying. I looked for the thread briefly, but am not certain which one it was. When I get a chance, I can post a pic of my version, but FP might know which thread the posts were in -- I'm sure you'll want to look at his artwork.

~K

• 4 months later...

Wow man...I just spent the last hour pouring through this thread.  I've been "out of town" on military business for awhile and in the process of moving to a new home, so I really haven't been around the boards...in like a year or so.  

As always, your work inspires me to up my game.  Heck, I just got all of my stuff out of storage, and have no idea where to start.  My LRCs and confiscated SmurfRaider will be a good place to start, I think; however, I really need to get a new technique down for painting black.  I'm tired of just spraying all of my little army men with a can black and trying to highlight the edges with various shades of gray. It's really a lot harder than I thought...I find it difficult keeping a steady hand on all those edges.  The BTs deserve SO much more!  I really love the theme you have gone with and the "dirty, grimy, rusty" look is simply amazing.

Where do you get your lanterns for the LRC and LRR?  I need to grab some to "Templarize" my big black death sleds.  The lighting effects add so much life and realism to them - another skill I have yet to attempt with my reclaimed air brush.

Good luck with the studies.  I look forward to seeing more of your work!

• 1 month later...

My version of Helbrecht. The head is magnetized for swapping. I will likely still do some work on the cloak, but figured I would go ahead and post these.

gallery_60019_7478_61837.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_110933.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_107046.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_66830.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_105306.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_15038.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_163001.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_105993.jpg

Working on honour guard now ... all 10 of them.

~K

Archived