Elmo's seemingly constant WIP

elmo

Drums of war??? :cry:

If you want me to plan my life properly you are going to have to give me more of a hint!!! ;)

Or have I missed something? Should I delay my next HH for a while? I am not planning any new HH after the snipers.

Damn these circles in circles!

I tried brothers but the Master of Recruits lips are sealed :wallbash:

I might just have to do some IG or Tau while I wait for more info...

Edit: not a threat but just so I don't paint the wrong unit :)

Edited by Elmo9141

I feel your pain, Elmo.  ETL III normally wouldn't be for 2 more months, but the Master of Recruits seems to be dropping hints it'll be significantly earlier this year.  I've been working like mad to get ~2000 points worth of DA assembled and primed.

If only we knew when!

:woot:  the ultrasonic toy has arrived - Xenos for scale only....

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/IMAG0238_zps8853ea2c.jpg

I will be giving it a trial run tomorrow so we will see how good it is :wink:

Edited by Elmo9141

I used the supplied general purpose cleaner mixed with water to double the suggested strength as I was expecting it to have limited effect on the spray primers.

I put the previously shown DF along with a GW paint pot lid with dried paint crust and old XV88 painted in blue with the metal feet and backpack sections superglued on.

I have had mixed results with the first trial, 6 cycles of 480 seconds.

The superglue bond on the XV88 was broken (perfect as this is what I was after). The metalwork came out clean and the majority of the blue acrylic paint came off the XV88 itself.

The Paint pot lid is spotlessly clean.

The DF however proved a little more stubborn. The majority of the army painter green has been removed. The GW black primer is cleared from about 50% of the model and this then showed a patchy layer of what looks like red/yellow enamel paint (definitely not acrylic). It could be a car type spray paint but I am not sure (eBay model). It is really thick but has started to lift off the plastic now with the repeated cycles.

I will try the same again with IPA fluid next week but this has the added problem that as the lid on the cleaner is not airtight I will have to empty the IPA into another container for storage so off I go shopping again :smile.:

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/IMAG0243_zps90b6f9a4.jpg

Apologies Brothers, for the Xenos scum but it was just for the demonstration. :whistling:

Edited by Elmo9141

@Bryan: IPA is not bad but I prefer Pendles Witches Brew or Old Peculiar ;)

@ Semper: better the xenos suffer the ultrasonic bath of doom than the beloved DA... (At least till I know it is safe)

Progress report:

About a 4 hour soak in IPA
4 x 480 second cycles
Quick brush in soapy water (I use a denture brush for this)

Result:
http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/IMAG0246_zpsc436600f.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/IMAG0247_zps3f72ce8c.jpg

Some of the corners and panel lines need cleaning out with a toothpick but apart from that it is back to plastic.
I have not noticed any damage/softness to the model.

Mine is a DEMA Ultraschallreiniger USR 2200/170 E +Sieb+Heizung (it is a German firm so 220 Volt)

, 2.2 ltr capacity and big enough to fit a rhino or Devilfish (basket size 25 x 14.5 x 8 cm).

You will have to measure your raider to confirm as I take the sponsons off. Also you will need to turn it over as it is taller than the max fill level.

I have not got my raiders with me so no photos - sorry...

Website link (Amazon.de)

Hope this helps

I'm still really doubtful about what it brought in term of easiness to remove paint...

I mean... At this stage, wouldn't have been far easier to put it a night long in a IPA bath and remove the paint with a toothbrush?

Edited by Master Avoghai

I did not want to say as it was more filthy xenos but as soon as I posted the devilfish, I put a Riptide in the bath. It had been sprayed in army painter bleached bone equivalent and then panels had been painted in Gw green, white and blue.

No soak time, 3 x 480 second cycles and all the Gw paint was off and about 70-80% of the army painter came off after a quick scrub in warm soapy water. On the first cycle I saw a stream of pale cream paint coming off the model into the ipa, it was like magic ;)

It is a personal choice, but I am happy with it, also it depends how much you plan to recover eBay models.

I found that even with a prolonged soak in ipa, it did not guarantee that the spray would come off as I have had models soaking for weeks and still had problems.

Edited by Elmo9141

I permit myself to intervene, but i tried also at home.

So i took a land speeder tornado in a glanzer bath inside the sonic cleaner, and it works pretty well.

i have also done many switching because of the max water level, that don't allow me to fully immerse it.

Imho, it not that it work better than toothbrush scrubbing, it's just make 80% percent of the job by pressing a button, and you will only have to do the last details with your tooth brush.

So i wouldn't recommend to buy a sonic cleaner only for that; but if you already have one, or if you also have an airbrush, it's nice use for both.

Glanzer (a Simple green EU equivalent ) have removed, undercoat, paint, armypainter quickshade, and became a little bit warm after 5 * 8min bath, but nothing worrying. (no gas, no melting, no pb ;-) 

Before

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eviz9clycnx0w2b/2014-03-22%2017.55.43.jpg

After first bath

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg00nm2e3fbofk2/2014-03-22%2018.06.13.jpg

and in the end was almost perfect but i don't have any pics sorry ...

Edit:
Yeah glanzer smell a little but it's not too bad, because there is some kind of perfume mixed in it.

So what's next :smile.: ???
Edited by Alvena

Out of interest have you a link to the glanzer product as I may try it too. IPA tends to smell a little ;)

• 1 month later...

I, Elmo9141, answer the call of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete

Deathwing Command Squad (5 , 325 pts)

Deathwing Champion (Halberd of Caliban)
Deathwing Apothecary 
Deathwing Company Banner
Power Fist (x2), Storm Bolter (x2), Chainfist (x1), Assault Cannon (x1)

Deathwing Knights (5 , 235 pts)
Knight Master (Storm Shield, Flail of the Unforgiven)
Deathwing Knights x 4 (Mace of Absolution, Storm Shield)

Deathwing Terminator Squad (5 , 245 pts)
Deathwing Terminator Sergeant (Lightning Claws)
Power Fist (x3), Storm Bolter (x3), Chainfist (x1) Assault Cannon (x1)

Deathwing Terminator Squad (5 , 250 pts)
Deathwing Terminator Sergeant (Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield)
Power Fist (x3), Storm Bolter (x3), Chainfist (x1) Cyclone Missile Launcher (x1)

Deathwing Terminator Sergeant (Power Sword & Storm Bolter;)
Power Fist (x3), Storm Bolter (x4), Chainfist (x1) Assault Cannon (x1)

Grand Total: 1305 Points

from the Dark Angels Codex on or before August 1st.

Success will bring eternal glory to the Dark Angels and the Lion and failure will doom me 
to bear the Badge of Shame until the year-end.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/IMAG0269_zps9d71c082.jpg

Work will be starting in 2 to 3 weeks as I am midway through a repaint of 2 Hammerheads and a Skyray at the moment which, unfortunately due to an upcoming commitment have a higher priority.

The plan is to convert the DV Termies into the command squad using leftover bits from the Knights so there will be plenty of chopping to come. Also I will be magnetising the other weapons options I have not listed, especially the plasma and flame thrower for later but the assault cannon is worth more points ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, as we seem to have had a forum stutter and my last post was deleted lets try again...

work has started on the conversion of the terminators from the DV set. The rough work is done and it just needs some fine tuning before I am ready to base spray.

Deathwing Command Squad (5 , 325 pts)

Deathwing Champion (Halberd of Caliban)
Deathwing Apothecary 
Deathwing Company Banner
Power Fist (x2), Storm Bolter (x2), Chainfist (x1), Assault Cannon (x1)

I like my standards held as opposed to being mounted between the shoulders and I just need to add the lower part of the pole which I will do later. The conversion of Mr. Rabbit Ears was fairly easy so he could hold the Halberd and I have added the cloak from the Knights box, the Apothecary had an arm swap and the extra bits from the Knights box attached.

Deathwing Knights (5 , 235 pts)
Knight Master (Storm Shield, Flail of the Unforgiven)
Deathwing Knights x 4 (Mace of Absolution, Storm Shield)

These will be the standard build and no photos yet

Deathwing Terminator Squad (5 , 245 pts)
Deathwing Terminator Sergeant (Lightning Claws)
Power Fist (x3), Storm Bolter (x3), Chainfist (x1) Assault Cannon (x1)

On this Sgt I removed the bunny ears and the feathers from the skull icon and replaced both arms with lightning claws, the assault cannon from the Knights box has been fitted to the chainfist model and a stormbolter to the normal assault cannon model. The remaining 2 models have had the stormbolters repositioned to avoid clones.

Deathwing Terminator Sergeant (Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield)
Power Fist (x3), Storm Bolter (x3), Chainfist (x1) Cyclone Missile Launcher (x1)

The sword hand has been replaced with a storm shield from the DA extras sprue and the storm bolter has been swapped with the hammer from the Knights box. The Cyclone missile launcher is also from the Knights box and fits perfectly ontop of a DV termi. The assault cannon model has had it replaced with a storm bolter and the remaining 2 are just slight repositioning of the gun arms.

Deathwing Terminator Sergeant (Power Sword & Storm Bolter;)
Power Fist (x3), Storm Bolter (x4), Chainfist (x1) Assault Cannon (x1)

Standard from the DV set - no conversions.

I plan to use magnets where I can so I can do arm swaps later and yes the barrels will be drilled out ;)