• 2 weeks later...

In addition to picking up the WHW exclusive Command Tanks yesterday, I was given some stuff today:

gallery_62972_9848_12136.jpg

* Second edition DC box with Chaplain

* Second edition TDA Chaplain

* Second edition Devastators

* Second edition Techmarine

* Second edition Tacticals (mostly metal)

I also got a couple of plastic Necromunda bulkheads, some Kromlech plasma cannons and Kromlech Bedlam Fraternity legs.

:D

Bikes

Basically, these have been sat on my paint desk for over a year so it's time to get rid of them! (They were to have been for the ETL but...) Also I appear to have lost a fairing :/

gallery_62972_9848_84062.jpg

Forgot to drill the gun barrels *rolls eyes* Also need to decide on a colour scheme for grav weapons. Metallic blue maybe?

Edited by Jolemai

Blue sounds good then! Maybe even purple if you're feeling crazy!

In my universe, purple I reserve for warp shenanigans (force weaponry for example).

I do my plasma blue and my grav green, so since you do plasma green, blue will probably work well for grav! 

Wonder what 8th edition will do to Grav? It's a bit too good right now ... will the change from "all or nothing" AP to armour modification make enough of a difference? Not sure because currently grav can still do terrible terrible things even to assault terminators with storm shields.

I started painting plasma green in the second edition so I must have seen an official source for it being green. Back then, Orks could carry plasma weaponry so perhaps that's where I got it from?

Even DOOM has blue plasma so it can't be that (yes I had an amazing childhood!)

Cheers, will check that out. Actually looked in my 2nd Ed Ork Codex (green), CSM 3rd and 4th (silver), and my BA Codices (silver) after I wrote the above but still nought - and plasma is quite rare in those tomes tbh.

Wasn't the Dreadnought plasma cannon/heavy plasma gun ;) green?

I started painting plasma green in the second edition so I must have seen an official source for it being green. Back then, Orks could carry plasma weaponry so perhaps that's where I got it from?

Even DOOM has blue plasma so it can't be that (yes I had an amazing childhood!)

I guess green plasma is a 2nd edition thing? I took a look at my 3rd edition rule book and in the few pics of plasma guns (it was not as common back then) the vents on top of the gun are painted gunmetal!

Re: amazing childhood -- truly, being able to grow up in the 80s/90s was amazing. I feel sorry for my own children they never get to experience that!

Order of play for my bikes:

1. Part assemble and base
  2. Undercoat in Halford's white primer
  3. Paint Chaos Black onto the base and anything to be black/metallic
  4. Paint the metallics as follows -> one coat of Chainmail -> shade with Nuln Oil - > highlight with Necron Compound
  5. Paint the red bits with at least two thing coats of Evil Sunz Scarlet (any black spills are covered with Mephiston Red first. Evil Sunz surprising covers silver OK) -> Flesh Wash in the recesses -> tidy up if necessary (-> edge highlight with Fiery Orange if I can be bothered)
  6. Details*
  7. Base -> splodge with Codex Grey -> drybrush with Fortress Grey -> light drybrush with Bleached Bone -> paint base rims with Goblin Green

*Details*

• Yellow (so helmets and chest eagles) -> Averland Sunset base, shade with either Flesh Wash or Chestnut Ink -> layer over Sunburst Yellow/Golden Yellow (haven't found a recipe I like yet)
  • Skin -> Bronzed Flesh base -> Flesh Wash shade -> layer over Bronzed Flesh -> details like eyes
  • Eye sockets -> thin line of Skull White/Ulthuan Grey -> shade/flood socket with Green Ink
  • Power weapons are blue (Enchanted Blue base, no further movement from there at this time) plasma is green (Goblin Green trim, ink in the ridges), melta is gold (silver base, paint whatever gold I've got available on top. Basically I'm between golds right now), grav is blue (metallic blue attempt, so Mithril Silver followed by a few coats of blue ink)
  • Seat and any pouches -> Snakebite Leather base -> shade with *undecided* -> edge highlight with Bubonic Brown
  • Skulls/parchment -> Snakebite Leather base -> paint with Bleached Bone -> shade with Chestnut Ink -> layer/tidy up with Bleached Bone (-> highlight with Pallid Wych Flesh if necessary)
  • Screens and target gems are Snot Green -> shaded with lots of green Ink

• 1 month later...

Blood Angels Death Company Vs Ultramarines - 1850 points

Army Lists

Blood Angels

List discussion

Flesh Tearers Strike Force – Lord of Cretacia (re-roll FT Warlord Traits); Explosion of Bloodlust (Rage on a charge roll of 10+)

• Chaplain - Warlord
  • Scout Squad
  • Assault Squad (Drop Pod)
  • Predator (Autolas)
Strike Force Mortalis – Crusader; Fury of the Forlorn (basically, Rampage)
  • Chaplain
  • Two squads of Death Company (Rhino)
  • One squad of Death Company
  • Death Company Dreadnought (Drop Pod)
  • Death Company Dreadnought
  • Stormraven Gunship
Oathsworn Detachment
  • Imperial Knight Paladin

gallery_62972_9890_181761.jpg

Ultramarines

Victrix Detachment – Objective Secured (all non-vehicle units); Sons of Ultramar (re-roll Warlord Traits); Perfect Doctrine (all Ultramarines benefit from each Tactical Doctrine, use once per game whenever you like)

Battle Demi Company

• Captain
  • Three Tactical Squads
  • Attack Bike
  • Centurion Squad
Strike Force Command
  • Roboute Guilliman – Warlord
1st Company Veterans
  • Terminator Squad
  • Terminator Assault Squad
  • Sternguard
Allied Detachment
  • Librarian
  • Scout Squad
  • Drop Pod
Deployment

Mission: Tactical Escalation

Setup: Dawn of War

The board is a Realm of Battle board with six tiles of the order:

ABC

DEF

There are hills on all the external corners. All structures are ruins and follow the BRB rules for them, but the ground floor of a ruin offers no cover save or imposes no movement penalties. Ascending a floor is done via an access point or climbing the edges/through a window, descending is done via an access point of by jumping. Tiles A has a ruin on it's a boundary to Tile B and a crashed lander on it's boundary to Tile D. Tile B has a ruin near its board edge whilst tile C has a forest on its boundary to Tile F and the rest of the lander at its internal corner that stretches into Tiles E and F. Tile D has forest that's near its internal corner and there's a large ruin in the middle of Tile E.

Obj1 is in Tile D's forest, Obj2 is by the statue and Obj3 is as close as possible to the external corner of Tile F. Obj 4 is on the hill in Tile C, Obj5 is in Tile E's ruin and Obj 6 is out in the open near the centre of Tile A. Mysterious Objectives are not in play.

The Chaplain’s Warlord Trait was Master of Ambush, whilst Guilliman's trait was Master of Strategy (+4 to Seize the Initiative). The Librarian rolls for Invisibility and Terrify to compliment Force and Psychic Shriek. Death from the Skies content was not in use.

Deploying first, the Blood Angels set up the Knight and Predator in Tile A. All are in cover. The Stormraven (with the third Death Company squad and second Death Company Dreadnought), and the two Drop Pods (DCD 1 and RAS respectively) start in Reserve .

The Ultramarines deploy in a line along the edge of their deployment zone in the order Razorback → Attack Bike → Tactical Squad 1 (T1) → RG → Terminator squad 1 (TDA1) → Rhino (containing T2). A Drop Pod (containing the grav-cannon armed Centurions (Gravturions) and Librarian) and TDA2 are set up in Reserve.

The Rhinos containing the DC and both Chaplains Infiltrate ahead of their deployment zone on the edge of Tiles A and D. The Scouts deploy a bit further forward. The Ultramarine Scouts are behind a building in the middle of the battlefield.

Unsurprisingly, the Ultramarins Seize the Initiative.

gallery_62972_9890_122944.jpg

Turn One

Ultramarines

~ Tactical Objective (TO) 46 (Dominion) is drawn

~ The Gravturions' Drop Pod lands in Tile A by the Predator. Everything else advances

~ Invisibility is cast on the Gravturions

~ Guilliman, the Terminators and the Tacticals (T1) all Run. The Gravturions strip 2 HP from the Knight.

Blood Angels

~ TO 42 (Behind Enemy Lines) is drawn

~ The RAS's Drop Pod lands in Tile F behind the Terminators whilst the Knight and Predator advances on the Gravturions. The Scouts move towards RG and the Rhinos blast into Tile E.

~ The RAS melt two Terminators and RG takes a wound from the Scouts (!)

~ The Knight charges and Stomps the Gravturions, who lose two and its Librarian takes a wound

~ TO 42 is claimed for 1 VP

UM: 0-1 :BA

gallery_62972_9890_780494.jpg

Turn Two

Ultramarines

~ TOs 25 (Secure Objective 5) is drawn

~ A Drop Pod full of Tacticals (T3) arrive in Tile A, with its cargo lining up behind the Predator. The Scouts and Terminators move towards the Rhinos, whilst T1 and their Bolterback move towards the centre. The Attack Bike retreats back to Tile C and RG notices the Scouts...

~ Invisibility is cast on the Gravturions

~ RG guns down two Scouts and T3 knock 1 HP off the Predator

~ RG obliterates the Scouts in combat (First Blood)

~ TO 25 is claimed for 1 VP and 46 is claimed for 4 VP 0.o

Blood Angels

~ TOs BA15 (Swift Advance, Obj 2&5 selected) and 46 (Dominion) are drawn

~ The RAS advance on an enemy Rhino whilst the DC get out of theirs and use their Rhinos to block RG's charge lane. The Predator Tankshocks the Scouts to no avail

~ The RAS knock 2 HP of the Rhino, which the Predator then finishes off

~ The RAS charge the contents (T2) but lose one of their member to Overwatch... The Knight finishes off her opponents

~ TO 46 is discarded

UM: 6-1 :BA

gallery_62972_9890_1210836.jpg

Turn Three

Ultramarines

~ TOs 21 (Secure Objective 1), 51 (Overwhelming Firepower), and 66 (Big Game Hunter) are drawn

~ T1s Bolterback moves towards RG, the Attack Bike moves towards the Drop Pod, the Terminators continue their advance on the Death Company but their Captain breaks off and moves towards Obj5

~ RG wrecks a Rhino

~ The Terminators charge the Death Company containing the Warlord and dispatch three DC plus the Chaplain (Slay the Warlord) for one loss. The Scouts charge and pop the Predator whilst one assault marine dies in the protracted RAS-T3 fight.

~ TOs 21, 51 and 66 are claimed for 1 VP apiece

Blood Angels

~ TOs 32 (Secure Objective 2) and 44 (Ascendancy) are drawn

~ The first Death Company Dreadnought arrives via Drop Pod near the Tacticals on Obj2. The Knight moves only Obj6 and the Death Company squad with the Chaplain heads towards Obj5. Meanwhile, a Rhino manages to get itself immobilised...

~ Combined fire from the Knight and Drop Pod removes four Tacticals on Obj2 (the Drop Pod also loses 1 HP through friendly fire...)

~ The Knight engages and destroys an enemy Drop Pod. The RAS kill a Tacitical Marines for two loses of their own

UM: 10-1 :BA

gallery_62972_9890_548973.jpg

Turn Four

Ultramarines

~ TOs 26 (Secure Objective 6), 33 (Secure Objective 3) 45 (Supremacy) and 64 (Assassinate) are drawn

~ Second Squad of Terminators (TDA2) arrive by the Scouts. The Bolterback and Attack Bike circle around the DCD, with T2 disembarking. T1 advances further and RG moves towards the Death Company.

~ T1, T2 and the Attack Bike combine to wreck the DCD. RG guns down 1 DC

~ T3 lose another member but wipe the RAS. RG smushes the DC and their Chaplain.

~TOs 26, 33, 45 and 64 are claimed for 1 VP apiece.

Blood Angels

With the score being 14-2 (including Linebreaker), the BA conceed.

However, the Stormraven arrives from Reserve and unloads everything into RG which is all saved. Then the DC and DCD disembark and charge generating a whopping number of attacks (nine from the DCD alone) but only one wound is caused (for two DC loses). Bonkers.

gallery_62972_9890_212652.jpg

Not that it really matters anymore but:

Flesh Tearers Strike Force – Lord of Cretacia (re-roll FT Warlord Traits); Explosion of Bloodlust (Rage on a charge roll of 10+) - Still haven't gotten EoB to work yet, but necessary FoC for the list to fuction

Chaplain - Warlord - Necessary and fluffy, but I miss having wargear (the RAS update in Angel's Blade meant I have to trim to fat). not much else to say really, lost due to bad positioning/being rusty
Scout Squad - Necessary for the points elsewhere, but I do love a combi-grav :wub: especially when it wounded Guilliman :happy.: Suppose I could have gone for the Terminators with them...
Assault Squad (Drop Pod) - My Meltacide - otherwise known as Squad Whiff - didn't do too badly this time with their shooting, but my goodness as they awful in combat. Price you pay to max out their alpha potential i guess. Terminators seemed a better target than a Rhino/Razorback
Predator (Autolas) - Brought for the heavy lifting and didn't do a great deal really. It's there as I can't find the points for a Baal or Sicaran (and the latter has been unimpressive lately as well as not being painted for WHW). Maybe a Land Speeder would be better for this list? I do have daydreams of a Death Company dedicated tank though...

Strike Force Mortalis – Crusader; Fury of the Forlorn (basically, Rampage) - Crusader never really came into play but I do adore this Formation and FotF: even if it's quite dated these days. Nine attacks with a Death Company Dreadnought is fantastic 99 times out of 100.

Chaplain - See above. I really don't like "naked" Marines
Two squads of Death Company (Rhino) - Kinda hampered with Infiltrate on this board as I couldn't fit them into the UMs deployment zone. Used as ablative wounds but I didn't use them too well. Need to play more chess.
One squad of Death Company - Ineffective due to delay (and sadly, target)
Death Company Dreadnought (Drop Pod) - Might try and find the points for a Lucius Drop Pod next time around. I still struggle to use this delivery method on combat Dreadnoughts
Death Company Dreadnought - Ineffective due to delay (and sadly, target)
Stormraven Gunship - Ineffective due to delay (and sadly, target)

Oathsworn Detachment - Ronseal*

Imperial Knight Paladin - Tied up with invisible gravturions kept it at bay, otherwise it was untroubled. Not the best day in the office shooting-wise either. She could do with a carapace weapon in the near future.

* Does what it says on the tin. Look up Ronseal adverts to know what I mean