Land raider, vidicator, and heavy flamer spnsons from baneblade. And depending on how detail you would like to get some plastic card and green stuff. There was an old tutorial on GW's site IDK if it is still up or not. A couple careful cuts with a hobby knife some green stuff for filler and viola! Ares!

Land raider, vidicator, and heavy flamer spnsons from baneblade. And depending on how detail you would like to get some plastic card and green stuff. There was an old tutorial on GW's site IDK if it is still up or not. A couple careful cuts with a hobby knife some green stuff for filler and viola! Ares!

I remember that article now that you bring it up but since GW is an evil corporation, they no longer care to create and maintain hobby articles on their site. They took all the great modelling and conversion articles down a long time ago.

It's really why I'm asking, I haven't been able to find an article on this conversion anywhere now. I am wondering if anyone here has created one or knows how to at least. I've never built a Vindicator so I don't know how the shield and vindicator cannon fit. Pictures would really help.

One thing I remember from the article (which I don't have saved to my computer, unfortunately) is that the Vindicator is narrower than the Land Raider, so plasticard was used to widen the siege shield. Oh, and considering the Land Raider Crusader kits now come with parts to build a Redeemer, you might as well save some money by using the latter's Flamestorm Cannons, instead of the Baneblade's twin-linked flamers.

This is just a straight up copy and paste from the last time some one asked about an Ares.

There's a fair bit of cutting fitting, and filing to be done. Hopefully this helps.

The front plate of the vindicator is too big to fit into the LR so needs to be cut on the  sides. I guided off the view port and mount for the opposite headlight, which actually leaves you a little short so I suggest measuring out a bit to get a flush fit on the angles armour plates up top.

I shaved the ridge where the assault ramp hatch normally sits and filled in the remaining gaps with lightweight stone clay, but you can use anything much else.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag67/NovemberIX/628D0F01-C5C0-489B-8FF3-58D25ACDCF3B-11158-0000235AF459BFA4.jpg

The assault ramp was just cut short and tucked under the vindi front plate. You can also see I cut the siege shield mounts short to bring it in closer to the main body.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag67/NovemberIX/72A38F38-8300-40F3-B852-E12EDB47761F-11158-0000235AE14EBED1.jpg

As for said siege shield, unless you extend it out it ends up looking much too dinky.

The side pieces you normally fit in behind the shield now sit out on the side of the main body of the shield. There will be some rather large gaps, once again filled with clay or other fillers.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag67/NovemberIX/428F8D86-9D02-4378-AAE3-5E07D38BC93A-11158-0000235AD5749A9A.jpg

The picture above also shows the flame storms I converted to be twin linked heavy flames. 

Here's the behind shot, I just cut the rear flames pieces in the middle of their rise then glued em together, they don't hold together very well to be honest. The flamestorms just had the middle body cut out then glued again.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag67/NovemberIX/22BCF9DF-D7A0-4FC9-9CCC-4AD6F1AEB22D-11158-0000235AECA3D76D.jpg

To finish off the kit I used the heavy armour from ForgeWorld which fits in one way.

This is going to be my next project too whistlingW.gif

I was working on

LR Crusader (already have)

Vindicator (ordered)

LR extra armour (on its way)

Baneblade flamers (already have)

and as a bonus I have ordered the DA doors from FW

Another bonus is that you can at least salvage another Rhino from the vindicator kit.

The official datasheet is here: http://www.games-wor...Raider_Ares.pdf

and if you google it a few unpainted photos come up which should help with the general layout of the bits.

I plan to start building next month so I will be watching your thread to see how you go about it ph34r.png

Thank you Elmo9141, that was good of you to link that pdf file and NovemberIX, thank you for linking those pictures as well. If I had the resources and the time, I'd just glue the lower assault ramp door up, cut the "teeth" off that door, stick the demo cannon and plates on top of that, and use the vindicator's demo cannon mounts right up against the door. It doesn't have to be pretty in there because no one's going to see down there after it's painted anyway. As long as there's a way I can get that vindicator's demo cannon plate to fight properly on the front, there shouldn't be any major issues after that.

Archived