Apparently the Praetor models will be on sale at Forge World in 3-4 weeks. 

Good to hear. These are what I'm waiting for, and then my FW order is off to the races.

I have a bad timing issue voodoo with ordering from FW. I always order some great stuff, and then FW pulls another great squad out of their butts that week or next unexpectedly causing me to rend my clothes and done sackcloth. I then have to go make a second order or wait for the new stuff to dispatch before I can get my other stuff.

I swear they know when Im about to order.....

Apparently the Praetor models will be on sale at Forge World in 3-4 weeks. 

Good to hear. These are what I'm waiting for, and then my FW order is off to the races.

I have a bad timing issue voodoo with ordering from FW. I always order some great stuff, and then FW pulls another great squad out of their butts that week or next unexpectedly causing me to rend my clothes and done sackcloth. I then have to go make a second order or wait for the new stuff to dispatch before I can get my other stuff.

I swear they know when Im about to order.....

At least I am not the only one this happens too...  I feel your pain all too well

Yeah, was that on apocalypse40k? I think that same interview made it sound like mk vi + sculpts (HH or otherwise) are a long way off...

Bummer, because I'd really like to see some more corvus models with more dynamic poses, etc.

I think so. But since the two Legions that are supposed to be getting the Mk VI(Alpha Legion and the Raven Guard, judging by the Weekender posters) won't be around until the third book(Wasn't it called like Extinction?) it would be logistically logical(say that six times fast) to finish up Betrayal, do Massacre and then finish up with Extinction(?). At least, that's how I would do it.

MK V and VI weren't brought out until half way through the Horus Heresy, which going by the new timeline that has taken the 48 hours of KNF and the 12ish Hours of FtT and expanded the first into a year long battle and the second into a THREE YEAR ORDEAL...

I'd imagine we wont be seeing the interim stuff for another 2 or 3 years given how slow FW is to release books. 

No, Mk IV has been around since Ullanor-ish. We see Loken with it in the beginning of Horus Rising and I believe Death of A Silversmith had Hastur Sejabus in a suit of Mk IV as well. Mk IV was a "new"(new being relative) Mark that was in production in the few years before the Heresy began and through his Dark Mechanicum connections, Horus made sure that his allies received the bulk of the manufactured product. For example, the entire Word Bearers Legion owned suits of Mk IV. And they're the second biggest Legion. We know that the other seven Legions involved with The Istvaan Incidents also had Mk IV suits in some number or other.

As for Mk V, that becomes relative. From KNF, we know that the Ultramarines were producing Praetor-variant armor in the few years leading to Calth, but it was to an unknown extent and the Praetor-variant was made a variant of the Mk V. The "official" Mk V began production by the Raven Guard immediately following Istvaan, as well as their obtainment of the Mk VI armor through a supply mission from the Imperial Fists at Terra. Presumably that is where the Alpha Legion either got actual suits of armor or at least stole the designs in order to manufacture it somewhere else.

The Omega symbol that was worked into the Alpha-Hydra that Kurgan pointed out in the poster could be taken to mean that the Mk VI is only being given to those Omegon "trusts". Or it may mean nothing. We'll find out eventually.

Speaking of eventually, I believe some have said that Massacre is said to be released at Games Day UK, which I believe is in September and that the third book is supposed to be six months afterwards so rumors put it at ten months until we have all three books. So the releases might be sooner than we think.

Hey, I'm not the ones making it. Besides, according to the reports of the Q&A with Alan Bligh, Forgeworld is going to be following the BL narrative. Look at how much as happened concerning at least two of the Four Legions that are in Massacre.

Kol, I think you bring up something I had not considered.  I always figured Praetor pattern armor was a Mk 4 equivalent, but you have a valid point that it might fall under MK 5.

Still, I hope FW will do a praetor pattern armor.  I really want some for my Ultramarines Legion force I am starting.

Kol, I think you bring up something I had not considered. I always figured Praetor pattern armor was a Mk 4 equivalent, but you have a valid point that it might fall under MK 5.

Still, I hope FW will do a praetor pattern armor. I really want some for my Ultramarines Legion force I am starting.

I'm sure they will. It's a rather iconic armor set.

I first heard it was a variant of the Mk V from a description of an art piece that I assume was from Collected Visions, but I'm not sure. I just remember that in Deliverance Lost the requirements given were basically any armor sets that were not the Mark IV or the Mark VI were being put under Mark V. Which kind of suggests there might be more variants out there, but I doubt we'll see them.

And IIRC, in KNF, there was a comment made how the Praetor-variant might be the template for a new armor Mark, suggesting that it might be more advanced than the Mark IV, but by how much is not known to me. So the three reasons just always classed the Praetor-variant as a Mark V variant to me and that the reason it was a variant rather than its own Mark was because of bad timing.

And IIRC, in KNF, there was a comment made how the Praetor-variant might be the template for a new armor Mark, suggesting that it might be more advanced than the Mark IV, but by how much is not known to me. So the three reasons just always classed the Praetor-variant as a Mark V variant to me and that the reason it was a variant rather than its own Mark was because of bad timing.

i sort of thought that the praetor armor was just another loss of calth thing.  like, calth was a beautiful world, growing and about to become one of the jewels of ultramar, but it was lost due to treachery, and the praetor armor was another casualty.  it was awesome, but because of the needs of the heresy, they had to make due with mark V.

or, praetor is a home-grown variant that will become mark VII, and they're just not coming out and saying it yet because if they do, people will stop buying FW and just use normal plastics for HH and they'll lose money.

Well if the pictures are anything to go by, it is remarkably different from the Mk VII. The Mark IV with a Sarum-pattern helm actually looks more like the Mark VII. And since it was produced at the Veridia Forge, which was destroyed in the Battle of Calth IIRC, its production would definitely have been shortcut. However, here is the passage describing it from Know No Fear, page 20.

"The Praetor-pattern is a new variant, locally fabricated at Veridia Forge, not yet a formally accepted mark within the Legiones Astartes.

So, it is only produced by one Forgeworld, and while it may be in enough numbers for the Ultramarines to use it(which is actually some very big numbers depending on what percentage of Ultramarines are wearing it), just as Sarum was a "local" Forgeworld for the World Eaters, it is most likely it was only ever used in the Legion that claimed rights to the Forgeworld in question, as I believe that only the World Eaters have so far been shown to have access to Sarum-pattern equipment, both in Betrayal and Betrayer.

Here is a reiteration of what classifies as Mark V "Heresy"-pattern armor from Deliverance Lost, page 329.

"In the absence of reliable Legion supply lines, the Mechanicum have designated all non-standard or stop-gap designs as Mark V."

Combine "non-standard" with "not yet a formally accepted mark", well you kind of get Mark V Praetor-Pattern/Variant Power Armor. And since the Ultramarines are the only Legion to use it, if Forgeworld releases it(and I don't see why they wouldn't since the Ultramarines players would practically kill for it), the logical opportunity for release would either be alongside the book for Calth, or just following it. That being said, keeping up the production for all of the models Forgeworld currently has up and in the numbers for the Legion bundles, i can definitely understand why the modelling aspect would take them a while.

Oh, for reference here is a picture of an Assault Marine with Praetor Pattern armor. It was supplied by Greyall in a thread called Best MK of Power Armour for Pre Heresy Ultramarines, which has lived and died and so as not yet to commit threadomancy, should remain buried, but can be viewed.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/Cpl_Saint/Ultramarines/DSCN0333.jpg

I foresee the Dark Angels have some sort of "Inner Circle" unit as a command squad or elite unit. We will also may see some pre-heresy ravenwing during this time period. At this point with the limited Pre-Heresy books featuring Dark Angels are quite generic descriptions, no specialty units unique to the Dark Angels other than the Ravenwing and mentions of Inner Circle (no Deathwing at this time). My guess is that winged helms will be used.

If we see a book focus on Caliban and that debacle, we will undoubtedly see a Luther model made (whether or not a duel with the Lion model or not, possibly interchangeable with the Konrad Curze model?).

These are just my thoughts on the 1st Legion at this time.

I personally want to see some jump pack kits.  There are a few units that have options for jump packs and no stand alone bits.  I hate having to buy extra assault squads just for the packs.

I think a lot of what we'll see isn't necessarily a full-blown armor kit. For example, looking at the Praetorian armor in that picture I provided, the most drastic change is the helmet. Otherwise it could almost be a regular Mk IV suit of armor with a Mk II/Mk III Jump Pack. So its possible that instead of just releasing an entire armor range devote to just one Legion, we might start seeing something like a Legion upgrade kit, similar to what GW had/has.

Or Forgeworld may just be hoping that we buy the special units and just use them in a lot of conversions.

Or it may be a full armor set for certain Legions like the robed Dark Angels and the Praetor Ultramarines.

I foresee the Dark Angels have some sort of "Inner Circle" unit as a command squad or elite unit. We will also may see some pre-heresy ravenwing during this time period. At this point with the limited Pre-Heresy books featuring Dark Angels are quite generic descriptions, no specialty units unique to the Dark Angels other than the Ravenwing and mentions of Inner Circle (no Deathwing at this time). My guess is that winged helms will be used.

If we see a book focus on Caliban and that debacle, we will undoubtedly see a Luther model made (whether or not a duel with the Lion model or not, possibly interchangeable with the Konrad Curze model?).

These are just my thoughts on the 1st Legion at this time.

I want to see a diorama of the few unhappy Dark Angels who threw that bomb at the Emperor during the parade!

Bwahahahah.....err i mean, For the Emperor!

Archived