Because the Luna Wolves didn't turn Traitor, the Sons of Horus did. FW is playing off of BL's narrative just as BL is playing off of Forgeworld and since that one old timer has since repainted his colors as the Luna Wolves IIRC, it makes that incarnation of the XVI loyal. At least, that's what I imagine is the reasoning.

My issue is why would they include the Lunar Wolves and not the other loyalists from the traitor legions to my knowledge there all dead apart from Garro, Loken, Varon etc or has this been retconed?

No, it hasn't been retconned. I think it was because for the most part, those Loyalists didn't have the name of a different Legion. The Luna Wolves were loyal. The Sons of Horus were not. Some Emperor's Children were loyal, some were not. It's a subtle difference and one Forgeworld could have forgone, but for some reason didn't. I don't know the reasoning behind. Unfortunately Forgeworld would have to answer that one.

Ok Question.... I know the image is blurry but why are the Lunar Wolves Legion listed under Loyalists

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/TheRedThirst/Poster2_zpse96784bf.jpg

I think its referencing that the luna wolves in themselves were loyal maybe?

I know Iacton and Loken are still kicking about so maybe more remnants of the legion are still alive and loyal.

but quite honestly I think its just a misprint.

and if not why aren't the dusk raiders & war hounds up there?

Because the Dusk Raiders and War Hounds changed names as soon as they found their Primarchs. The Luna Wolves changed their names after Ullanor. Specifically after the conflict with the Interex IIRC in Horus Rising. The Loyalists of the XVI Legion renounced the name Sons of Horus and at least Iacton Qruze reclaimed the original name "Luna Wolves" IIRC(could be wrong. I think it happened in Flight of the Eisenstein but I can't seem to find my copy at the moment. We don't have any records that I am aware of that Loyalist Death Guard have claimed the name Dusk Raiders in a similar manner or the same with the War Hounds. IIRC Betrayer correctly, the "Loyalists" there were simply referred to as not being World Eaters with Lhorke being referred to as the "Last War Hound"(or something to that effect) but he himself didn't claim the name War Hound and none of the Librarians renounced the name "World Eaters" either. At least, that's what I imagined happen. I can't justify it and I don't know the reasoning. That's just the best explanation I can think and for all I know, it's just Forgeworld wanting to screw with people.

Well, the other panel had ten Legions, didn't it?

Black Library could have a few surprises involving Luna Wolves in the future... Another reason could be that Luna Wolves have had their pre-primarch name known for much longer than the other Legions'. I'm not sure Dusk Raiders, Imperial Heralds and War Hounds are even mentioned in the old Index Astartes.

Yes, it did. i just saw the pic over on Apocalypse40K through a google search and I think I have the answer. If you look at the pic of the Traitor Legions, it has both of the Word Bearer color schemes up there(Look at the grey Heathens. Look!).

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm106/Linnear1701/40K/Poster1.jpg

And I think there's your answer. They had twenty posters. One of every Legion plus one for the Luna Wolves and then both Word Bearers color schemes. And then they made two posters that listed all of the Traitor Legions and all of the Loyalist Legions, splitting up the images of all 20 posters into two panels so one person could just buy two posters to have all twenty images instead of buying all twenty I imagine. Since there are no Traitor Luna Wolves(semantics, I know), it would make sense that they'd be on the Loyalist poster with the other 9 Legions while the 9 Traitor Legions and the alternate XVII scheme get put on the other, dividing both equally.

ohh come on!!!

bloody forge world can we just stick to eighteen legions we know the other two are lost.

but I guess this allows for the use of different era armies if you want to be fighting great crusade armies or some junk like that.

aren't they supposed to be releasing a great crusade book or something??

I think they hope to but yeah, I imagine that's it since the books are supposed to be able to go forwards into the Heresy as well as back into the Great Crusade, they just focus on a specific event. And in the case of the Word Bearers, well they need both color schemes since both were used side by side for some fifty odd years until after the Dropsite Massacre with the Gal Vorbak wearing the red and the rest of the Legion wearing the grey.

Yes! Finally! Ha-haaaw!

EDIT: No, I don't think it's Sevatar. Even if they decided not to give Terminator armor for some really odd, unapparent reason, the model is carrying a plain Jane sword, not some type of spear. I think it might just be some sort of upgrade pack Forgeworld that carries wing helmets and they wanted to try it out on one of the minis.

That Proteus tank with the turret is dead sexy. Bridging the gap between Land Raider and Predator tanks... oh wow. I really like the Proteus and Fell Blade Forge World tanks. I've been looking for an excuse to make a Luna Wolves army...

I wonder how much more insane Horus was driven when only half his Legion followed him during the massacre, and the other half didn't? I like to think he was only partially turned to Chaos at the beginning of the Massacre. Was he perhaps watching himself as if in a dream, leading an insurrection against his Father and sacrificing his Legion? The whispers of Chaos were probably mere musings, or half formed nightmares in his brain. Subconsciously, he knew it was wrong, but couldn't stop himself. As the campaign turned sour and Loken announced his allegiance to the Emperor, that was probably the last straw that broke Horus' sanity.

http://battlebunnies.blogspot.be/2013/05/the-horus-heresy-weekender-preview-of.html

According to Battle Bunnies, the Iron Hands are getting "Gorgon" Terminators? Can't say I've ever heard of them, wonder if it was some kind of mishearing thing since the Salamanders are getting Firedrakes. After saying "it depends on the narrative" it would be rather..... (not sure what word to use) to then go against it. Then again, they may be doing it as the Morlocks are the First Company(which is true) and that the Gorgons(somewhat fitting since their from Medusa) are the Terminators. Sort of like how they made the Deathshroud not only the bodyguards of Mortarion but the Terminator elite of the Death Guard as well. I don't know because that is confusing since I remember Fulgrim saying that Manus only took the Morlocks to Istvaan but it would seem obtuse if all he took were people wearing Terminator armor.

Hmm, interesting how there's no comment on what the Word Bearers are getting. I mean, we know they are getting a unit called the "Circle of Ashes Pyroclast Destroyers". To me, that suggest "pyroclast" is some sort of weapon upgrade for the Destroyer Marines, but I wasn't there so I can't confirm it but since at least two blogs have said the same thing, then it holds some truth to what they heard.

Personally, I kind of wish the Atrementar were getting a special treatment here, not the Raptors. But since they are being the special unit,(ergo elite and not many of them)I can be happy with that. I'm more interested in seeing what this "terror unit" is.

I'm pretty sure in Prince of Crows it's stated that Sevatar has Mark IV armour although I can't for the life of me think why. But that might restart the debate about the Atramentar and Raptors being part of the 1st Company etc. Personally I want to see a double set but I'm just greedy

I thought that it had been explained that the Atrementar and the Raptors are like the Justaerin and Catulan Reavers in the XVI? Both are a part of the First Company, just that the Atrementar are the Terminator elite while the Raptors were the Jump-pack Elite? I could almost swear A D-B said that somewhere. I got Shadows of Treachery right in front of me so I'll go through it and see if it describes his armor mark.

According to Lexicanum, then the Morlocks are the terminator armed Iron Hands, and that Ferrus only brought them.

I Suppose Gorgon terminators simply are his bodyguard / Elite of the Elite.

The Circle of Pyroclast dudes are in Terminator armour unless I'm going blind?

I'd bet good money that it's explicitly stated but there's also a part where he's running and I'm certain that it would have taken a lot longer to cover that distance in Terminator Armour.

Ah I see. So he does have authority over both the Raptors and Atramentar but is actually the ranking captain in the latter? With the Talon Master leading the former? Since it's been established now that captaincy doesn't automatically mean leading a company etc

Well, I remember Fulgrim saying that the Morlocks were the Elite and that those who were on detail with Manus when Fulgrim when berzerk were in Terminator armor. And then that Manus went to Istvaan with ten companies worth of Morlocks. I think the total number was like ten thousand. I don't recall anything saying that all ten thousand Morlocks were wearing Terminator armor but I don't recall anything saying they weren't either. Oh well, we'll find out one way or the other.

No, I don't think so. The shoulders are all wrong and that helmet looks like the top of a Mk III helm. I think these guys will be the prelude to Mk III Destroyers as well as being some sort of special unit.

I'd bet good money that it's explicitly stated but there's also a part where he's running and I'm certain that it would have taken a lot longer to cover that distance in Terminator Armour.

Ah I see. So he does have authority over both the Raptors and Atramentar but is actually the ranking captain in the latter? With the Talon Master leading the former? Since it's been established now that captaincy doesn't automatically mean leading a company etc

Exactly. Just like Captain Ekaddon was in charge of the Reavers while Abaddon was in charge of the Justaerin and then First Captain in charge of the First Company. As far as Terminator armor, it is supposed to boost all aspects of strength so theoretically, one should be able to run. The problem would be that it would be a pain to turn and probably stop as well unless you used a tank, a wall, or some poor soul to help you stop. Although if you're willing to run, then you are probably able to stop as well.

Umm, I don't remember Sevatar wearing a Terminator armor in Prince of Crows, when he rides that ship and all. Besides as has been said the Terminator armor is slower than the other, it sacrifices movement but gives more protection and fire power. The fact that Sevatar is the 1st Captain of the Night Lords doesn't means that he must wear the same armor as the Atramentar, who were more like an elite unit. IIRC Sevatar is not a member of the Atramentar himself, they are under his command, but he's not part of the unit. 

Hmm, looking through both Prince of Crows and Savage Weapons(albeit a very quick read through scanning for the words "Terminator" and "Mark"), I can't find anything explicitly saying what armor Sevatar wore. I might have missed something. But you might be right because he is doing things like leaning on his spear-halberd and crossing his arms. I don't know. It might be that he is just that good in Terminator armor. Then again, since his spear has a teleportation beacon in it, that he just ranged ahead in some sort of lightning blitz and then brought in the Atramentar as the thunder hammering down on the target. You know, strike hard, hit harder.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did have a suit of cataphractii for his use but given the preferences of the VIII Legion, terminator armour isn't exactly friendly to their signature way of hunting prey. I'll add it to the list of things I'll (hopefully, pleading) talk to AB about. If the powers in the Warp show me their favour

Archived