Making Noise Marines Scream

Bonzi

@hushrong, I believe that you need to give them the mark if you want them to be emperors children. I don't think you can go ahead and leave without a mark.

You'll need a separate detachment for all of your forgeworld stuff since the formations do not reference them. A shame too, makes it harder to get the noise dread in there. Can always take a main detachment with a warp smith and a cultist squad.

Alright, time to continue on since I have a few minutes.

Relics!

Intoxicating Elixer: D3 combat drug rolls.  This is a good one but a touch random.  It's more reliable than Gift of Mutation because of rolling on a smaller table of statline improvements.  On average you should get two.  I think the Elixer is best taken on characters like Sorcerers who can make use of any of the bonuses it gives.  Lords can benefit well too, but an extra point of WS or I will be of less value because his numbers are already so high.  A Daemon Prince is the least likely to benefit as all of his stats are high.  On a prince you are really just looking for A or T....granted if you get T you are set, but thats a 1 in 6 after a D3.  This is a fluffy and effective pick, but it is a touch random (but you're playing chaos so you're used to that).

Shriekwave:  An anti-tank weapon statline with an additional rule that makes it easier to wound, except you'll already be wounding almost everything on a 2+ anyway.  And it's one shot and random number.  This is a middling relic.  It really needs mobility to be effective.  On a bike or a jump pack character would be good, on a prince with wings would be best.  Watch an enemy fly explode as your winged prince screams it from the sky.  The biggest thing this has going against it is the one relic per character limit.  We have a lot of good ones that outclass this one because it is only a one shot.  (Also consider a Lord or Sorc in Terminator armor DSing in with combi-melta terminators or Oblits from the cult of destruction).

I will pick this up again soon to finish the other relics.

To chip in.

You get the T roll at least once in 2 of 6 cases if you get your average 2 from the D3 roll. ;)

And the Shriekwave...well i was pretty hyped about it before I read it's only one use only and did the math. On average you get through two wounds on a model without invul save or similar. At 12" range. That's basically nothing for it's cost and being a relic. Maybe on a flying prince vs other flyer but not very reliable at all. I'll pass on that. 

Nice seeing a revival of this thread Bonzi, I've been subrscribed to it for a while to keep an eye on it.

Right now I'm preparing a few noise marines for my continued playing, I made a 1000pts noise Kakophoni list to start off the collection and making sure I have enough sonic weapons for later testing. It looks like this:

Core formation: Kakophoni
Chaos Lord, MoS, VotLW, Bike, Power Weapon.
6x 5 Noise Marines, VotLW, Blastmaster, 2x Sonic Blaster.

Auxiliary formation: Spawn
3 Spawn, MoS

This comes out at precisely 1000pts, and unlocks our EC benefits, I feel that this amount of shooting in a 1000pts game is enough to deal with most stuff. We usually play on 4x4 tables until the 1,2k range where I live.
The lord with spawn bodyguard is there to countercharge stuff seeing as this is a very static list. Depending on the mood you could shift some sonic blasters around or off the list to get the lord a better weapon or an invulnerable save. Or get the lord a steed of Slaanesh instead of the bike, he has no survivability in challenges anyways, and the outflank could come in handy I guess.

For larger games I really want to take advantage of our spawn units and the Chaos Warband formation. A thematic army I'd like to field allies in Fabius Bile to enhance a large marine squad with Icon. Also; our spawn benefit a lot from the combat drugs table, giving them standard +1 S, T or A upgrades(always good) or even +1 I and WS that help a lot against our usual opponents(letting us strike before marines, or deny them that 3 and up to hit). Spawn from Death Guard "just" get stealth for example.

I wish they'd let us give lords Doom Sirens. That's the real reason I am gravitating towards Shriekwave because if you want your lord to approximate a DS, it feels like the choice is either the shriekwave or Burning Brand(but then you are loosing a CC weapon).

Just to add, Shriekwave + Terminator Annihilation Force = if you roll well, a lot of dead...well, anything.

It's still one-use-only tho. So his regular shooting would be just whatever weapon else he has equipped.

Relics Cont'd:

Soul Snare Lash:  This is one I've long waited for....what is functionally a rending weapon and we get the added bonus of instant death if we roll a 6.  It gives us our challenge weapon that lets us make full use of our barrage of attacks at high Initiative.  For the points cost it is an auto-take on a Lord...if you have the points for a power weapon then you can find five more to take this.  Also make note of the fact that it is a standard 'melee' weapon meaning you get the bonus attack from having a bolt pistol.  An extravagant commander could consider pairing this with a power sword or power ax and deciding which weapon to use based on the opponent.  The icing on the cake is this comes with a ranged attack too...short ranged yes, but it still has the same soulsnare ability.  Who doesn't want to instagib a charging Hive Tyrant with that one lucky double six overwatch?   It will happen and it will be glorious, Slaanesh wills it.

Endless Grin:  A very specific relic.  Given the nearly universal nature of ATSKnF or Fearless and the very short range of its aura this isn't a great relic.  It does see some specific use, especially paired with a Telepathy Sorcerer in the army as well.  Give a throw away character like a cheap Lord or Warp Smith this item and get them buried in the enemy lines where fear and low LD might be handy.  In the distance a Telepathy Sorc can shriek reduced targets to greater effect and the pinning of our sonic weaponry  becomes more effective.  For the cost its not a bad thing if you have a spare character who needs something to give them some special love (I wouldn't take this relic unless you've already got the Lash and the Elixer on the characters who matter.

Bolts of Ecstatic Vexation:  An interesting upgrade if slightly costly in points.  If will wreck the day of Eldar and Astra Militarum especially but against tougher or better save armies its a little expensive.  I think the ideal use of this relic is on a shooty character such as a Warp Smith sitting back with Oblits or Noise Marines (remember our whole army has split fire) or this should be used on a character who has a combi-bolter like someone in Terminator Armor or a Bike.  TL 24" grenade launcher?  Yes please.  Personally I'm going to squeeze this one in somehow but I'm not sold that it is worth the price tag.

Blissgiver:  Another nasty CC weapon with Instant Death possibilities (but note it says 'removed from play'....thus bypassing rules like say gargantuan creatures can't suffer from instant death.  It's not Instant Death, it's 'Removed From Play'....say it with me now.  This weapon will likely shine best on a Daemon Prince who will push the weapon to AP 2.  On a Lord its a tossup, most models you want to remove from play come with a 2+ save which means the Lash might be more handy (you need a six rather than a failed LD test on a command character).  Don't give this to a Sorc, they come stock with force weapons.  Do take note that the opponent must take a LD test on every failed wound...if you stack two or three wounds on something nasty that is a lot of LD checks to make where failure comes with the ultimate penalty.   The bearer of this weapon might want to make best friends with a character who has Endless Grin.  Final thought.....a pair of Lords on Bikes, one with Lash and one with Blissgiver, in a unit of Bikes with an Icon of Excess could be a handy and cheap 'deathstar lite' when it comes to hunting monsters or warlords.  Pair this with the Warband boon table buffs and this unit could go nuclear after just a couple fights.

That's a quick and dirty take down of our relics.

Regarding the removed from play? Hasn't this been FAQd to mean causes instant death? Pretty sure this ruling is now a thing for hellfrost cannons for example.

Yeah I agree the lash seems slightly better than blissgiver depending on your meta, in some ways I still wish you could stack relics :/

Intoxicating Elixer: D3 combat drug rolls.  This is a good one but a touch random.  It's more reliable than Gift of Mutation because of rolling on a smaller table of statline improvements.  On average you should get two.  I think the Elixer is best taken on characters like Sorcerers who can make use of any of the bonuses it gives.  Lords can benefit well too, but an extra point of WS or I will be of less value because his numbers are already so high.  A Daemon Prince is the least likely to benefit as all of his stats are high.  On a prince you are really just looking for A or T....granted if you get T you are set, but thats a 1 in 6 after a D3.  This is a fluffy and effective pick, but it is a touch random (but you're playing chaos so you're used to that).

It's probably better than that on a DP.

+1 WS gives him WS10, which WS4 needs a 5+ to hit.  Nothing wrong with 33% damage mitigation in combat vs probably most of the models in the game.

+1 S isn't great but there's definitely stuff out there with T5+, and rolling it twice gives S8.  Not what you're hoping for but it's not a total dud either.

In a rapture battalion, combat drugs gives him a ~41% chance of hitting at least T6 (and for what it's worth, a ~69% chance of either T6+ or WS10).  Considering a rapture battalion prince has to be Slaaneshi and has no other defensive toy to buy, I think you probably give him the drugs and pray.

I think it's also worth mentioning that Blissgiver is a Daemon Weapon. I really don't like relying on a 6 to get any worthwhile AP so to me Blissgiver with safe AP3 and a censored.gif load of attacks is still a little bit better.

It's probably better than that on a DP.

+1 WS gives him WS10, which WS4 needs a 5+ to hit. Nothing wrong with 33% damage mitigation in combat vs probably most of the models in the game.

+1 S isn't great but there's definitely stuff out there with T5+, and rolling it twice gives S8. Not what you're hoping for but it's not a total dud either.

In a rapture battalion, combat drugs gives him a ~41% chance of hitting at least T6 (and for what it's worth, a ~69% chance of either T6+ or WS10). Considering a rapture battalion prince has to be Slaaneshi and has no other defensive toy to buy, I think you probably give him the drugs and pray.

I agree the Elixir on a Daemon Prince is def not bad and even better in a Rapture Battalion. It's just hard to decide between those, the Black Mace, the Torch and the Soul Snare Lash. They all are great on a Daemon Prince. I think I gonna test the Elixir on a Warpsmith eventually, just for teh lulz.

Hi all, long term lurker, 1st time poster.

Had my first game with TL. 1500 points vs Necrons.

I ran a 3 squad Kakophoni with a Chaos Warband and Spawn tax. There's wasn't enough points to give Rhinos to the NM squads (how I usually run them) so they were very static and unfortunately never got to use their Doomsirens... I do love my drive by screaming... but Shred on Sonicblasters is SO good. I've read on here numerous posts by people saying how bad they are... I seriously recommend trying them now.

The Elixer and massed Combat Drugs (the main reason for taking the Warband) worked out well. A couple of silly roles (+1 I on a static NM squad and +1 BS on the Spawn!) but I managed to roll +1 T on the biker Warlord and Terminators which meant once the bikers were dead the Lord was being wounded on 6s.

FnP 6+ never worked for me and with all the tax you now have to pay I only had points for 1 Icon on the bikers (it prolonged their life but didn't save them as they were the focus of most of the Necron fire for most of the game).

Be wary of running Unweildy weapons. With our ability to make an attack after dieing I finally decided to run a Powerfist on my Lord for the first time ever. He dodged the swing from the Necron Lord in a challenge and punched him to death, but this obviously displeased Slaanesh who then turned him into a Spawn! Unweildy is not the favoured method of the Dark Prince!

I won on VP. A good first outing :)

What you guys think of this list approx 1750.

Chaos Lord

+ lightning claw

+ power fist

+ VOTLW

+ Mark of Slaanesh

+ Chaos bike

Daemon Prince

+ The Black Mace

+ Psyker (Mastery Level 2)

+ wings

+ power armour

+ Daemon of Slaanesh

10 Noise Marines

+ 7× sonic blaster

+ 2× blast-master

+ doom siren

+ VOTLW

+ icon of excess

• Chaos Rhino

+ dirge caster

+ extra armour

+ havoc launcher

10 Chaos Cultists

+ Mark of Slaanesh

3 Chaos Bikers

+ Mark of Slaanesh

+ VOTLW

+ power weapon

+ melta bombs

+ icon of excess

Daemonic Allies

Keeper of Secrets

+ Psyker (Mastery Level 2)

+ Greater Reward

20 Daemonettes of Slaanesh

20 Daemonettes of Slaanesh

10 Seekers of Slaanesh

+ rapturous standard

+ Heartseeker

+ Lesser Reward

1,749 points

Your Noise Marine squad has too many missmatched weapons. Sit N shoot or scoot N scream are how you want to think of NM. Blasters are pretty meh outside of the new formation that gives them split fire and shred.

Keeper of Secrets isn't that great, too slow and too easy to kill. You would get more milage out of three heralds, one for each of your daemon squads.

Lots of delicious theory. Any anecdotal practice yet to reflect upon?

I did a brief battle report in this thread the day I picked up TL. It's back a couple pages.

@hushrong, I believe that you need to give them the mark if you want them to be emperors children. I don't think you can go ahead and leave without a mark.

You'll need a separate detachment for all of your forgeworld stuff since the formations do not reference them. A shame too, makes it harder to get the noise dread in there. Can always take a main detachment with a warp smith and a cultist squad.

Thank you, sir!

I really hope FW could have their goodies brought in without having to go the route of CAD or allied. I am silently praying and wishing they come out with some kind of data sheet of formations for IA 13.

Changed my list to the following:

Removed one noise marine with a CCW and changed the murdersword for blissgiver. This got me enough points to give the mark to the Warpsmith and get a havoc launcher.

Cult of Golden Tears v.22 1500pts

Kakaphoni:

-Lord, MoS, Blissgiver

-Noise Marines, 4x Sonic Blasters, Rhino (objective grabbers)

-Noise Marines, 4x Sonic Blasters, Rhino (objective grabbers)

-Noise Marines, 3x Sonic Blasters, Blastmaster (fire support)

-Noise Marines, +1 NM, 5x CCW, Icon (objective grabber/enemy warlord hunter, Lord went here)

Fist of the Gods,
-Warpsmith, MoS
-Predator, autocannon, heavy bolter sponsons
-Predator, autocannon, heavy bolter sponsons
-Land Raider, Havoc Launcher (Lord and NM CCW squad hitched a ride with Warpsmith)

*Obviously everything has VotLW for free.

Played this slightly retooled list again against my regular opponent and his Dark Eldar. Getting to go first, less terrain for him to hide behind, and some good dice rolling saw him take a lot of damage quick and constantly throughout our game. Noise weaponry was already a problem for him and with it packing more punch it became brutal. I am satisfied with the performance my noise boys are having but I am looking forward to taking on some other armies. 

One thing I want to try if I free up points is a Sorcerer with Symphony of Pain. I grin ear to ear thinking about another boost to our noise weapons.

The Elixer and massed Combat Drugs (the main reason for taking the Warband) worked out well. A couple of silly roles (+1 I on a static NM squad and +1 BS on the Spawn!) but I managed to roll +1 T on the biker Warlord and Terminators which meant once the bikers were dead the Lord was being wounded on 6s.

FnP 6+ never worked for me and with all

I won on VP. A good first outing :)

You roll combat drugs once for the whole force, not per unit.

Congrats on the win :)

The full detachment thing, whatever its called, (not the formations but the main force org) counts as a CAD does it not? Thus if you have your full minimum requirements you should be able to add FW to it correct? They just do not count towards any of the required slots that have to be filled. At least that is how I understand it. Just curious, not sure if I would be adding any FW anyway to my EC aside from maybe a Hellblade for air support.

The full detachment thing, whatever its called, (not the formations but the main force org) counts as a CAD does it not? Thus if you have your full minimum requirements you should be able to add FW to it correct? They just do not count towards any of the required slots that have to be filled. At least that is how I understand it. Just curious, not sure if I would be adding any FW anyway to my EC aside from maybe a Hellblade for air support.

No it does not. A CAD is a CAD (Check the BRB on that). A Rapture Battalion is a Rapture Battalion (their meta-detachment). Two different things.

Archived