Making Noise Marines Scream

Bonzi

That's an interesting restriction you place on yourself, as it's the same one I have. I can't stand the flavor of Khorne Flakes, as the whole "blood for the blood god" seems a bit too primitive, I guess. Also, Khorne sorcerers don't exist, so that's a good thing msn-wink.gif

As far as flavor in my list, I can run just about anything and justify it because my guys are a rock band. I've got the noise marines as the band, and everything else is support crew, so it makes sense that I can have a daemon prince of Tzeentch behind the scenes doing managerial stuff, or have my big tough obliterators of Nurgle being the bouncers. What it really comes down to for deciding what to put in your army, you just have to ask yourself what you want in your list, and then come up with a reason for it to be there. You can even paint them all the same, but just apply the mechanical changes (as long as you tell your opponent what's what). That's one of the things I really like about space marines in general - unless you're playing a specific army that exists in a story or something (ravenwing, for example) you can do whatever you want as long as you don't codex-hop.

Also, Bonzi, I fear I may have been subliminally influenced by your list, as without referencing your list, I made a 1500 point army that looks almost exactly like it. Of course, reading your reports, it's hard to deny its effectiveness. I'm just wondering if it's feasible to give a herald of slaanesh psychic powers, or if I should save the points to give my biker lord a power fist on top of his lightning claw? My lord has yet to disappoint me, and I haven't played with demon allies yet, so I don't want to change too much all at once.

I really like the Slaanesh daemon lore but the LD of heralds is too low for me to spring for the psychic upgrade. On a Keeper yes, but a Herald just isn't reliable as a psyker.

Mastery 1 is enough for the Herald, be it the Primaris or other Warp Charge 1 powers all are viable. I favor the power that lowers the I of the enemy squad by 5 and since it is not FAQ'ed yet this means that Marines and other types of infantry do not hit back. I like Bonzi's list but I have to have a Helldrake in there since I face several fliers and between Drake and Hadesfiend I have a reliable AA defense. 

I've still got a drake in my list, it's pretty much a necessity against swarm armies (running the baleflamer that is) and other 3+ saves. I didn't notice that the -5 init spell doesn't have a note in there saying to a minimum of 1 initiative, so that's suddenly a lot better than I thought it was. I'll see what I can do to try and bring that power, probably moving some points around on the herald to squeeze out the 25 for a mastery. I'm finding it difficult to trim points for upgrades now, as I've already trimmed a lot to get the demon allies.

I gotta ask you guys this.... I keep hearing good things, and this thread is great, but how come I never (well almost never) see a painted Emperor's Children army? Where are they?  Do you guys paint the army traditionally? Or do your own thing? Why is the army so rare to see? I expect that from Alpha Legion. lol

Seriously though, the army seems decent especially with Eldar, but the scheme is something I struggle with. Especially with vehicles for some reason. What are you guys doing?  (I didn't think this warranted its own thread but thought there were enough of you guys in this thread to shine some light on the matter.)

Well, I started painting my army last year for this, still a work in progress. But I have chosen to go for the traditional black/ pink scheme. I think it is really effective, and catches the eye beautifully. My silvers are painted bright with a hint of blue, and my golds are deep and rich. I went for blue/ white non-metal for my power weapons and cloth/ hair etc i have gone for a greyish purple.

I think the main reason why painted armies are so rare is because, well to be honest, a lot of the player base for 40k is teenage kids, predominately male. Painting something pink/ purple is just viewed as girly.

ANY of the other gods are more masculine, dirty nurgle, gory khorne, deep blues for tzeentch.

That, and pink is actually a fair bit harder to paint than red, blue, or whatever mess you choose for nurgle - based on skills needed to paint to a table-top standard. If you try to rush pink, solid colour/ line highlighting & shading, then it can look very garish.

I have found pink to be quite nice to advance my blending, moving from a red right through pink to a pinky-boney dusting on the most extreme exposed areas (in small amounts) but this takes a very long time to do, as I am not that good at it yet.

TL;DR - Pink is for girls (opinion of most of the player base), Pink is harder to paint (the other excuse)

My guys are primarily purple with a pink trim, so a little backwards from the standard EC paint scheme. However, I was going for a glam-rock look for my guys, since chaos space marines tend to have their hair grown out and flowing (or maybe it was supposed to be some sort of tassle, I don't know). Also, the way I came up with my paint scheme was when my friends and I were playing Dawn of War II, and I wanted to make a paint scheme that would make them look girly, since everything in Warhammer is testosterone. (There's also an old internet meme about the Pretty Marines, but they're loyalists so they don't count)

Anyway, I liked the purple and pink paint scheme a lot, so I decided to paint my guys those colors, and the models look great (at least in my opinion). I've also had some pretty solid advice from my friend who's a commissioned painter for minis, so the dark-to-light blend comes out looking brilliant, and I achieved a bubblegum pink for the trim. 

In regards to the "it's harder to paint" excuse, it really is harder, but I think it's worth it. As for the "it's not manly enough," I understand why the male teenager demographic would say that, but the models still look fairly menacing. That's actually something I'd expect someone to say about Sisters of Battle, but the five people in my state that play them would probably kill me for saying it.

Do rhino for the noise marine are worth? to protect them from heldrake or to help them shooting with blastmaster all the turn and rush on the two last turn on objectives?

thx

I would not get Rhinos for blastmaster shooting squads but I would get them for a large Doom Siren + extra CCW combat squad.  The extra protection the Rhino offers a static unit isn't much better than what deploying in cover will give you.  Also, shaken and stunned results apply to the passengers as well so putting the blastmaster inside the rhino makes it easier for your enemy to stop the shooting.

I gotta ask you guys this.... I keep hearing good things, and this thread is great, but how come I never (well almost never) see a painted Emperor's Children army? Where are they?  Do you guys paint the army traditionally? Or do your own thing? Why is the army so rare to see? I expect that from Alpha Legion. lol

Seriously though, the army seems decent especially with Eldar, but the scheme is something I struggle with. Especially with vehicles for some reason. What are you guys doing?  (I didn't think this warranted its own thread but thought there were enough of you guys in this thread to shine some light on the matter.)

Click on my name and go to my gallery to see my painted EC.  I have a few in this thread on page two.  http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/271966-making-noise-marines-scream/?p=3328985

My color scheme is monochromatic.   For the bulk I use a two tone pink (dark pink for the shoulders, helmet, weapons and boots while the main body is a light pink wash) with brazen brass for the metalic bits.  The original EC color scheme is pretty classy (pink & black) is a high contrast pop, but I hate painting black so I embraced the pink.

Reasons to paint pink:

#1.  It's rare and your army will stand out.

#2.  An army of murdering, torturing pscyhopaths wearing pink is discordant and that is exactly what Slaanesh is all about.

#3.  High contrast colors (pink & black) is an easy way of making a meh paint job look far better than it really is.

#4.  Nothing says confidence in your self and your abilities like Barbie Doll pink toy soldiers.  

#5.  No loss is more demoralizing than one to an army you just called 'girly'.

#4. Nothing says confidence in your self and your abilities like Barbie Doll pink toy soldiers.

#5. No loss is more demoralizing than one to an army you just called 'girly'.

Awesome! Buckets of internet cookies for you!

That's exactly what I said when people asked me why I painted my 3.5 Emperor's Children pink.

"Have you ever lost to a pink army before?"

"No."

"Let me know how it feels when you have."

*proceed to pummel them*

"How'z it feel?"

"Terribad."

"That's why I painted them pink."

I'm painting mine currently I used to have a fully painted army and it was like when I was in high school so I sold the models to get non caked painted models to paint up better. I am currently doing the old style with the black and bright pink, none of that purple crap like GW is trying to promote no that they got rid of tentacle pink. Gotta love Vallejo. 

I also noticed this though when going through my old White Dwarf magazines for model/painting references there is a lot of nurgle. Even in the golden daemons there is 3/4 of nothing but Nurgle when you see a chaos model. To me though, they are the easiest army in the world to paint.

They didn't get rid of bright pink - it's called Emperor's Children now. Maybe not the exact shade of pink you're thinking of, but it's what I use for that bubblegum pink, with a very thin trim of Pallid Witch Flesh for an edge highlight. I ought to check out the vallejo paints, though, since it seems they come in squeeze bottles, making them more ideal for wet-pallets.

My first list (997pts)

I call this first list, OMG BLASTMASTERS!  Must have MOAR!

Chaos Lord: power sword, aura of darkness, bike, mark of slaanesh (130) Fairly cheap kit.  Runs with the bikers to give them some punch.

10 Noise Marines: x2 blastmasters (240)  Shoots things dead and then shoots some more.  To hold/capture the center or the most contested objective.

5 Noise Marines: x1 blastmaster (125)  Objective camper and fire support.

5 Noise Marines: x1 blastmaster (125)  Objective camper and fire support.

5 Chaos Bikers: power sword, meltabomb x2 meltagun (150)  Multi-role unit.  Tank hunting, CC hammer, objective contester, tarpit to keep my shooty units clear.

3 Obilterators: mark of nurgle (228)  My main source of AP2 and anti-tank.  MoN for durability and instadeath.

First list battle results and analysis vs Drop Pod Space Wolves:

This is not a possible List...for every 10 noise marines you can only take 1 Blastmaster. this list would be utter cheating .

This is not a possible List...for every 10 noise marines you can only take 1 Blastmaster. this list would be utter cheating .

My friend, you need to read the FAQ for the chaos codex:

"Page 99 – Noise Marines, Options.

Change the third bullet point to “One Noise Marine may
replace his boltgun with a blastmaster at 30 pts/model. If the
squad numbers ten or more models, an additional Noise
Marine may replace his boltgun with a blastmaster at 30
pts/model..”"

I've still got a drake in my list, it's pretty much a necessity against swarm armies (running the baleflamer that is) and other 3+ saves. I didn't notice that the -5 init spell doesn't have a note in there saying to a minimum of 1 initiative, so that's suddenly a lot better than I thought it was. I'll see what I can do to try and bring that power, probably moving some points around on the herald to squeeze out the 25 for a mastery. I'm finding it difficult to trim points for upgrades now, as I've already trimmed a lot to get the demon allies.

The main rulebook says that Initiative can never be reduced below 1 (it might only be in the faq). (as much fun as it would be).

I have to say that I'm getting increasingly interested in the idea of a Slaaneshi Herald buried in a giant squad of daemonettes as allies now.

The entire squad should be right around the same price as the Bloodthirster I was considering but gives me a massive scoring unit that I'm not afraid to throw at TH/SS terminators or equivalents.

After my first two games, where I wasn't sure how to use them, they have become the most valuable models in my army. They are just amazing. They can kill almost anything in the game (high armour walkers being the hard thing, and flyers of course).

If you can have them survive with decent numbers, and get them to combat, they just shine. The locus of beguilement has to be the best item for such a unit that I have ever encountered, just be sure to have the herald decline challenges that you are sure she will lose (against demon princes, or tyrants, etc....) still get the bonusses from the locus, even if she isn't attacking.

I'm about to have a game vs an ork player with the spammed mega nobs. 1000pts, and he has 15 of them.... Still, i just look at it and laugh because for all those power claws he has, he may as well have CCW's. I'm almost expecting my daemonettes to take care of all the mega nobs themselves. 290pts of demonettes + herald, vs ~700pts of meganobs + big mek. Let the showdown commence :P

Remember the 'nettes are weak to shooting. Also, the locus of beguilement only affects the herald. For a while, I was running her with the locus of swiftness so she'll go at I10, but then I realized that's a bit overkill. I now have her equipped with the locus of grace for Move Through Cover, because she'll actually share that buff. 

I have to say that I'm getting increasingly interested in the idea of a Slaaneshi Herald buried in a giant squad of daemonettes as allies now.

The entire squad should be right around the same price as the Bloodthirster I was considering but gives me a massive scoring unit that I'm not afraid to throw at TH/SS terminators or equivalents.

I find they are a fantastic compliment to the static shooting of blastmasters.  They are also one of the most cost effective ways of getting I5 ap 2 close combat attacks into a CSM army.  At their sweet spot is high cost elite CC units/death stars and MEQ.  The biggest upside to the Herald with Beguile in a Nette squad is that you are maximizing the benefits of the locus.  A lot of attacks guarantees good rending, a lot of re-rollable attacks enhances that rending even more.

Remember the 'nettes are weak to shooting. Also, the locus of beguilement only affects the herald. For a while, I was running her with the locus of swiftness so she'll go at I10, but then I realized that's a bit overkill. I now have her equipped with the locus of grace for Move Through Cover, because she'll actually share that buff. 

Yes and no on the weak to shooting comment.  Yes Nettes have a low save and low toughness which makes them vulnerable to massed small arms fire and templates, but on the reverse side is the fact that they always get their save.  Something to keep in mind is that against AP 3 weapons the Nettes get a better save than a basic Marine does.  Against AP 2 the Nette gets as good a save as a standard Terminator would.  Yes small arms kill you but those high cost low ap upgrades are wasted points against Nettes.  The other important thing to remember is that Daemons are fearless to shooting.  Other tougher options can break and run after a few casualties but Daemons have to be killed to the last man with shooting.  This is an important thing to remember in terms of getting a Herald into CC.  I had one game where my unit of Nettes got anihalated by shooting, only my Herald, the Alluress and one Nette made it to close combat...at which point they killed far more than the value of the Nettes I lost to shooting. 

Also, on page 67 Locus of Beguilement specifically states that the model and all other models in the unit re-roll failed 'to hit' rolls in close combat.  So the Locus is shared with the whole squad.  In addition is the important fact that the rules don't have a limiter like 'on the charge' or 'for the first round of combat', the Locus reroll happens every single combat phase no matter how long combat lasts or whose turn the combat happens in.  That is huge and is the reason why Locus of B is an auto-take on a herald in a unit of Seekers or Nettes.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but do any of you have pics of 'tranditionally' painted EC vehicles? Like Forgefiends or a Heldrake? I'm having trouble finding any good reference material....

Bonzi, thanks for clearing that up. I guess the locus of beguilement really is better all around, with about ten attacks going through after a bad round of getting shot at. Or if I get super lucky and they don't kill any 'nettes (fat chance, I'm sure) then those assaults are going to be absolutely devastating.

Archived