Wolf_Pack's Blood Angels - Conversions and Kit Bashes

Surprisingly, emery boards work really well for removing mold lines. I have one that my wife bought me from the beauty supply store that has 4 different textures on it. And the best part was it only cost $1. .

WIll look into this. I Just moved to a rather rural area (which is why I was not posting for so long) and it's rather dreadful when it comes to finding anything that isn't alcohol. 

Cracking stuff mate! Pretty cool paintscheme as well, and the flags on the sternguards' backpacks are a nice addition! :)

Will you try some blending on the wings' feathers? It's not hard, but looks terrific on a bunch of models with wings. ;)

Keep it up!

Snorri

while I agree that blending them would be nice, I just want something that is presentable on the tabletop. Painting is the activity I least enjoy in the hobby.

I see what you mean mate...I love assembling/sculpting the most, next are painting and gaming on one level...I don't like to play with unpainted miniatures. ;)

However, with some washes a similar effect to blending can be achieved in no time! And it's absolutely fine for the tabletop. :)

Looking forward to some updates!

Snorri

Black Reach or Dark Vengeance starter marines?  I just converted a squad of the DV marines, basically took the tactical marks and wings off the shoulderpads and added some BA bling.  Though I have to admit, I never could get the shoulderpads looking right after I started filing and trimming on them, that curve is hard to follow when you're removing the raised portions.

How are you planning on attacking those?  After trimming shoulderpads, I think if I do the starter conversion again I'll just cut off arms and replace from my bits box.

Black Reach or Dark Vengeance starter marines?  I just converted a squad of the DV marines, basically took the tactical marks and wings off the shoulderpads and added some BA bling.  Though I have to admit, I never could get the shoulderpads looking right after I started filing and trimming on them, that curve is hard to follow when you're removing the raised portions.

How are you planning on attacking those?  After trimming shoulderpads, I think if I do the starter conversion again I'll just cut off arms and replace from my bits box.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on how you modify the started models. I have a set myself that I haven't found the time to mess with yet.

Both Dark Vengeance and Assault on Black Reach starter marines. Got 30 bolter marines at 50 cents each. 

I will post a play by play for you guys if you'd like. you will notice that my technique is very messy, but the end result is all that matters!

As promised here's a fast step by step conversion of starter set marines. It gives them actual necks and elbow definition.

gallery_71633_8409_55259.jpg

Tools you will need : Hobby cutters, Hobby kinfe, 1/8 drill, and a curved clay shaping tool.

gallery_71633_8409_100827.jpg

Start by Cutting north- south from the bottom of the shoulderpad to the very top. this way you do no damage the armour or arm.

gallery_71633_8409_32978.jpg

the rear part of the shoulder pad needs to be cut in east-west fashion. do not cut too low, you will dent the elbow.

gallery_71633_8409_30380.jpg

Next up, carve a depression to give your elbow pad more definition, you will also want to round off the back part, which usually fuses into the armour in an ugly fasion.

gallery_71633_8409_42557.jpg

You can repeat the same process for the left shoulderpad, it's the same thing, just inverted. You cut the front east-west and the back north-south. make sure to cut enough into the should to make the forearm a little longer - your new shoulderpad will be stuck to the bolter otherwise.

gallery_71633_8409_8329.jpg

cut off the head to be level with the neckguard.

gallery_71633_8409_42922.jpg

Drill a hole dead center roughly half an inch deep. this will give you space to get your clippers in to cut out what's left of the head, and cut back the edges of the neckguard.

gallery_71633_8409_32113.jpg

with the clay shaping too, start carving out the neck guard to thin it down to closer space marine standards. I used quarter turn slices on each side from the edge to the inside of the neck guard. afterwards, you can use the same tool to enlarge your hole towards the front of the armour to create your head socket.

here's how thick I mine turned out to be. gallery_71633_8409_7534.jpg

Assort your proper shoulderpads and a brand new head. You can put in a different backpack or bolter if you like. here's the final result :gallery_71633_8409_2907.jpg

Archived