Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

That red and grey is super striking. Will the whole squadron be getting red, or just the leader? Will one of the thunderbolts be designated red 5?

These are the first two from the AI Box so nothing fancy, they'll both be the same. I have some more Tbolts that I may build if I can't sell them and then I might add a squad leader designation. No Red 5 Designation but that's not a bad idea!

@thewarriorhunter: that's a really striking great colour scheme! Can't wait to see a finished one! Are you planning on adding any weathering etc to?

BCC

Yes, weathering will be added! I've been sitting on a Xiphon for a year and been to scared to paint it. i'm using AI as a test bet to try stuff out before I move to that. I have some pigments and weathering oils that I got for the holidays that I'm going to try out on the planes.

YITH I photographed my most recent wave of Sisters. There'll be closeups and alternative angles on my Instagram (link in sig) over the coming fortnight.

2SmvJc7.jpg

cEiasaw.jpg

ew7Kiia.jpg

r7SNkom.jpg

YvIeGfh.jpg

Ten of the above SoBs are from last year, but I ended up doing a big squad reshuffle after getting a second troops box and Amalia Novena.

YITH I photographed my most recent wave of Sisters. There'll be closeups and alternative angles on my Instagram (link in sig) over the coming fortnight.

2SmvJc7.jpg

cEiasaw.jpg

ew7Kiia.jpg

r7SNkom.jpg

YvIeGfh.jpg

Ten of the above SoBs are from last year, but I ended up doing a big squad reshuffle after getting a second troops box and Amalia Novena.

Are you able to share how you got photos like that? I want to up my mini photography game and yours look perfect. 

Are you able to share how you got photos like that? I want to up my mini photography game and yours look perfect. 

Before COVID I used to freelance as a photographer on the side, and have done a bunch of wildlife work in the past, so my rig's a little over the top compared to what you actually need to do this - most of it is in the lighting and background setup. Anyways...

D750 with a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 G2 on a tripod, lit by a single bounced flash off a white wall above and to the right of shot. Fill lighting from my relatively bright kitchen lights. A2 sheet thick white paper, curved to run from upright against the wall to flat on my kitchen table to produce a seamless background. Fairly minimal editing in Lightroom.

Wildlife photography tax:

tEW27nP.jpg

I found some time this morning to knock out a couple of Black Legion rhinos. WarriorFish added some armour to his renegades and I realised I needed some to for sure in my Chaos collection.

CAFF3F89 B27E 4243 A0D8 D4D483B9E847

Always been a fan of vehicles and I tend to forget just how much of a nice break they are to assemble and paint etc! Though the Chaos bitz sprue is looking a bit tired I do like the gargoyle heads still for the weapons so expect a Predator or two soon I hope! As normal, I've updated my topic over in the Black Legion forum: 

BCC

TiTHI finally got some progress in my marine army. I finished priming the Relic Predators I own, as well as started priming some mk4 marines and some Tartaros Terminators. Tomorrow's going to use up a lot of Gal Vorbak red. :D

YiTH I started on my Storm Lord assault intercessors. Not as hard as I though it would be to do a half/half scheme.

Side note: With this group, most of my two indomintus sets are now painted as White Scar successors (Rampagers, Crimson Jackels, Storm Lords). This was not planned, it just happened.

IMG 20210212 163100

As I planned, I used up a lot of Gal Vorbak Red and some Word Bearer's Red. The photo quality is awful but since it's not going into detail there's not that much to see anyway. I am pleased that I got a lot painted today with minimal clogging. I'll be attacking them with Wazdakka red and some purple wash in the recesses but I'll be doing that by hand. Now that I have armour without an Aquila on the chest I will have to display company markings another way. Painting red on red isn't going to look very obvious so I'll need to rethink it slightly.

Painted up the Judiciar from Indomitus to go with my Bladeguard. A really nice model, even if it is blatantly Severian from the Urth of the New Sun. :biggrin.:

The only thing I didn't like was the head with the odd mouth mask. So I replaced that with something a bit more wolfy! I really wanted a Deathsworn helmet for FW but those go for silly money so I cobbled something similar together using the Wolf skull from the SW infantry set and a spare intercessor helmet. A bit rough at the edges but it captures the right feel.

gallery_82363_15236_54416.jpg

gallery_82363_15236_126852.jpg

gallery_82363_15236_74665.jpg

This week in the hobby I'm working on some inq28 conversions.

7vVB35j.jpg

AcRkvLT.jpg

QYqNxrI.jpg

I've got some hotshot lasguns inbound from eBay, and an Enforcer squad sat waiting to be converted into more Inquisitorial Stormtroopers. I'm still umming and ahhing over exactly which model will be the base for the Inquisitor conversion itself though - I know I want them to be a puritan member of the Ordo Hereticus, but I've got loads of ideas about how best to represent that.

TITH, I was able to get another copy of Bommerz over da Sulphur River - a real nostalgic gem! Looking forward to playing with this.

Wow, that's an old one! I remember that was treated as a bit of a throwaway game by GW but it looked fun. Never got myself a copy but I liked the idea of it.

TITHI Took a break from painting xenos and did some more work on my death guard, Converted a spare dark imperium lord of corruption into a regular blightlord terminator, Worked on the oozing slime drops on some of the rest of the squad and just generally finished up their paint jobs, Also made a start on painting Valerian and Aleya for my custodes army (I really like his pose but hers seems a little stilted for some reason) 

TITH (technically, last 24 hours) I managed to finish some reinforcements for the Minotaurs

med_gallery_106255_16269_138105.jpeg

The Phobos Librarian still needs a nuln oil wash and a dry bush on his base as the Astrogranite Debris is still drying.

The Apothecary and the Chaplain are done however. I tried following the Darren Latham tutorials on YouTube for the black and white armour, with varying degrees of success. Definitely well above my skill level but it was nice to try.

I’ve got some purity seal decals I’m going to go back and fix onto all the various seals and scrolls, but I’ll only do that once I’ve cleared the backlog and painted all my Minotaurs.

Also TITH I got the Outriders, Eradicators and Assault Intercessors from Indomitus basecoated in Runelord Brass, as well a squad of Eliminators from Shadowspear. And a Night Lords Chaos Lord and the Nightbringer basecoated in Grey Seer. Busy old day but made loads of progress.

TITH I learned that W40K doesn't make me only spend money on GW or local hobby store. It also makes me visit and spend money at Homedepot, Dollarama, etc.

I never watched DIY videos on building terrains before, but now it is a daily activity.

My first army is not even battle ready... and I am already building terrain pieces.

While working on my custom Primaris Chapter I took a break to make some truescale guys for a fun Crusade army but am now torn whether I should do them as Ultramarines to go with Uriel Ventris as firstborn marines or whether I should scratch the itch and finally do Salamanders.